Page 627 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 622 623 624 625 626 627 628 629 630 631 632 ... LastLast
Results 15,651 to 15,675 of 41810
    Regarding the Baker* doctors opinions, remember never to mistake stupidity for malignancy.

Explains a lot around here as well.

And it makes it easier to be compassionate.

Even for doctors.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    priorities!
    https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/b566947...1-427b9f3b3c93

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by mcski View Post
    Retard needs to be redefined as just another useful word for idiot like imbecile was in the last century. Never in my life have I ever heard anyone refer to a disabled person as a “retard” even in grade school, so I’m not fully sure why it’s got this pseudo n-word rap. I don’t think it is too crazy that the word gets defined as a synonym for imbecile.

Edit: I just remembered happy jack. Never mind. I’m an r-word.
    The irony is thick, all of those words you cited were denotative indicators for mental acuity and processing speed, in turn they each became connotative slurs. I've worked with developmentally disabled adults for a long time, and periodically the language we use has changed to move it away from a pejorative assimilation such as you suggest. I find it tiresome, when writing reports, we can't call a tantrum a tantrum, because someone might be offended. Incident reports were renamed event reports; the people we serve have gone from "clients" to "consumers" to "individuals in service". All of this is because some fuckwit needs to find a spicier insult to hurl.

That said, there are low IQ folks I work with who think Trump is an idiot.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Rasputin View Post
    The irony is thick, all of those words you cited were denotative indicators for mental acuity and processing speed, in turn they each became connotative slurs. I've worked with developmentally disabled adults for a long time and periodically the language we use is changed to move it away from a pejorative assimilation such as you suggest. I find it tiresome, when writing reports, we can't call a tantrum a tantrum, because someone might be offended. Incident reports were renamed event reports, the people we serve have gone from "clients" to "consumers" to "individuals in service". All of this is because some fuckwit needs to find a spicier insult to hurl.

I had someone lose it on me a while back for using the term "kook" to describe someone. I thought it was "kooky" of her but have since stopped using the word because the cat's outta the bag in my mind and besides, I don't like getting yelled at right or wrong. In my book it's easier and more pleasant to avoid conflict so if you tell me a word offends you I'll find another that works. Pretty easy to do.

*bend like a reed grasshopper*
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    How old are you?

I heard it all the time as a child in elementary school (1969-1976) and yes it was used for disabled people both as a description and an insult.

One of my best friends had Downs Syndrome and was often referred to as "retarded." Marie was the best. I'm sad that I've lost touch with her and think of her often.
    Same age. We definitely threw the word around a lot, but I don’t recall it ever used toward the special ed kids. I’m not saying kids were never mean toward them, but I don’t recall the word being used against them around me.

Rasputin, good reminder on language corruption and evolution.

I had someone lose it on me a while back for using the term "kook" to describe someone. I thought it was "kooky" of her but have since stopped using the word because the cat's outta the bag in my mind and besides, I don't like getting yelled at right or wrong. In my book it's easier and more pleasant to avoid conflict so if you tell me a word offends you I'll find another that works. Pretty easy to do.

It's one thing for you to adjust personally, it's another thing for entire companies, state agencies, and the entire industry to constantly adjust. I'm a wordsmith, and can always find ways to weave words to say what I want, but the constant change of language infrastructure to serve someone's sense of propriety, is cumbersome, impractical, and doesn't keep the offensive from being offensive.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

It's one thing for you to adjust personally, it's another thing for entire companies, state agencies, and the entire industry to constantly adjust. I'm a wordsmith, and can always find ways to weave words to say what I want, but the constant change of language infrastructure to serve someone's sense of propriety, is cumbersome, impractical, and doesn't keep the offensive from being offensive.
    Enough on this, let's get back to discussing how individuals of limited empathy, seek to return to power accumulation, rather than consider the impact of their avarice on the very breath of life in an other's body.

Edit: Oh and the sciencey stuff too.

Frankly, that's bullshit. The word kook may have been insulting toward that person but it's not something that should be seen in the same vein as 'retard' or the n-word. Why should you bend to meet the demand of someone else's world view of what's an improper word? You caved because it was easier than being yelled at instead of that person being right. I would have stood my ground on that one. The person apparently was, indeed, a kook. If we let people run over us for the use of specific words, as we've done, we won't have any words left.

I don't mean to go off on this but I'm a little sensitive to political correctness run amok. I'd have likely told the kook that she proved my original assertion and let her yell.

Holy fuck, stupidity has no bounds

https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...=socialnetwork

Enough on this, let's get back to discussing how individuals of limited empathy, seek to return to power accumulation, rather than consider the impact of their avarice on the very breath of life in an other's body.

Edit: Oh and the sciencey stuff too.
    "Low Empathy Individual". I kinda like that as it boomerangs right back to the type of people who invent these sort of phrases. meta.

I'm a nimrod.

I think what they were saying is that it is unacceptable to insult anyone. Which of course is unacceptable. "Kook" is a completely acceptable and very mild way to insult someone. AFAIK the word has never been associated with the mentally ill or developmentally disabled but only with people who are eccentric and often endearingly so. Whatever word you use as a substitute will undoubtedly be offensive to the person who couldn't tolerate "kook". So you may resume using it if you wish.

We never used or heard the words "retard" or "retarded" but that was because we were all above average.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    She's a top-shelf nutter C U Next Tuesday. https://www.cherylchumley.com/?page_id=19

Specializing in intellectually dishonest so-called "debate and arguments" by someone who certainly knows better....one could say... deplorable?

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    I'm a nimrod.
    That is very offensive to Mesopotamian hunter-kings.

The irony is thick, all of those words you cited were denotative indicators for mental acuity and processing speed, in turn they each became connotative slurs. I've worked with developmentally disabled adults for a long time, and periodically the language we use has changed to move it away from a pejorative assimilation such as you suggest. I find it tiresome, when writing reports, we can't call a tantrum a tantrum, because someone might be offended. Incident reports were renamed event reports; the people we serve have gone from "clients" to "consumers" to "individuals in service". All of this is because some fuckwit needs to find a spicier insult to hurl.

This comes as I faced criticism from my boss yesterday for describing her nephew as a “little person”. I guess that’s not ok now, and we’re saying “dwarf”.
    Boss was asking about my wife’s job. Then said her nephew “George” (name changed) works there in a specific role. My wife hired this dwarf, and hand made parts of his uniform at home in her own time, he’s a fundamentally unproductive employee because he’s smaller and slower than the standard amount of work you plan for for his salary, and my wife just sucks it up because having him there is a value to the community and it’s the right thing to do.

I was like: George? ...he just started there this year? He’s a little person?

She acts annoyed: “yeah”

I tell her I know who he is because my wife spent a lot of time at home working on his uniform.

She’s like: well, he’s a dwarf (lots of emphasis), and his mom does a lot of sewing.

Okey dokey then. Lesson learned: hiring disabled people is just a huge can of worms. Got it! Loud and clear! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by senior researcher View Post
    I'm a nimrod.
    Nimrod was the king who built the tower of Babel, where language ceased to be one, and became divided, how apropos.

Didn't we have a conversation about Finns and social distancing a couple hundred pages back?

Cartoons of Finnish Nightmares Even Non-Finns Can Relate To
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Years ago in SF some east coast guys had never heard Kook. They thought I was saying Gook. Totally different. Anyone can be a Kook. It’s not necessarily even bad.

Didn't we have a conversation about Finns and social distancing a couple hundred pages back?

and yet they're the happiest people..

This is a positive sign in the fight against corona virus in that you all are moving on and arguing about dwarfs and retards now.

Social distraction.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

I identify with most of those, my mother is half Finnish.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    She's a top-shelf nutter C U Next Tuesday. https://www.cherylchumley.com/?page_id=19

Specializing in intellectually dishonest so-called "debate and arguments" by someone who certainly knows better....one could say... deplorable?
    And she quoted the ER docs that have been officially censured by their own professional organization - this opinion piece already isn't aging well.

The Addams Family is kooky. That's good enough for me.

why wasn't there a plan months ago to use the US military to move produce from farms that would otherwise rot to food banks should there be shortages?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    why wasn't there a plan months ago to use the US military to move produce from farms that would otherwise rot to food banks should there be shortages?
    You ever see what a .50 cal round does to a chicken?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang