Page 1577 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1572 1573 1574 1575 1576 1577 1578 1579 1580 1581 1582 ... LastLast
Results 39,401 to 39,425 of 41810
    So my government issue COVID tests arrived today. Not a bad turn-around; though they should have done that sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    That would be awesome. What's not awesome is having kids stay home for 5-7 days every time they get any illness. No one has enough sick time to cover the amount of days that would be missed by childhood illnesses.
    And so you send your sick kid to school because of making money and then they get the teachers and other kids sick and then they get their families sick and everyone suffers all because you (your employer, etc) wanted to keep making money.

See, your kid got sick because someone else didn't stay home, too.

Quote Originally Posted by skiskiskiskiski View Post
    And so you send your sick kid to school because of making money and then they get the teachers and other kids sick and then they get their families sick and everyone suffers all because you (your employer, etc) wanted to keep making money.

See, your kid got sick because someone else didn't stay home, too.
    So you've never sent kids to school with a cough? Or a runny nose? Or a low grade fever?

Or perhaps you don't have kids at all and don't fully understand the reality of what you are suggesting.

And so you send your sick kid to school because of making money
    Money and jobs are very important to a lot of families out there. Most cannot take 50 days a year off from work to keep their kids from spreading colds.

So you've never sent kids to school with a cough? Or a runny nose? Or a low grade fever?

Or perhaps you don't have kids at all and don't fully understand the reality of what you are suggesting.
    Cough yes, runny nose yes, documented fever big fat NO! My youngest is in the 12th grade,, Oldest is in college. Neither was ever sent to school with a fever of even 1 degree. Both were sent home immediately when they went to the office sick and a fever was detected
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

If my kids have symptoms of a cold, flu, etc., they don’t go to school. I feel lucky to have a job with flexibility. In past years, and possibly this year, I have taken unpaid leave because of multiple sick kiddo days. Our family is lucky that I am the only one with seasonal allergies.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^ THIS ^^ is your whole problem.

Rather than state your case and move on, you keep repeating yourself post after post after post. STFU already.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, but he is a lawyer, so there's that.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Cough yes, runny nose yes, documented fever big fat NO! My youngest is in the 12th grade,, Oldest is in college. Neither was ever sent to school with a fever of even 1 degree. Both were sent home immediately when they went to the office sick and a fever was detected
    I must be immunocompromised, as is my entire family, because it seems nearly 50% of the days either I or my under 5 daycare kids wake up with a cough or runny nose. Before I had kids in day care I was one of those guys who seemed to go decades without being sick. My doctor friend in Bellingham jokes that her toddler was sick for an entire year after starting day care. We call them snot nosed rugrats for a reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    ^^ THIS ^^ is your whole problem.

Rather than state your case and move on, you keep repeating yourself post after post after post. STFU already.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    For comparison, should we also review the many times that you only post a picture of a sweatshirt as your retort when others are making points to further the conversation, but you don't agree with, so they must be untrue and mocked? Pot, meet kettle. In the same thread

Is it just me or are the Boomers the biggest hypocrites? It's like there is zero inflection to their thoughts and actions and their decades of control is slowly starting to show on a macro level around the globe.

The boomer driven dire state of our economy (a skilled manufacturing economy....Gutted and reworked to a service based economy), wage stagnation in the workforce (Since the 1970's!), outsourcing literally everything important overseas because profits, the crumbling environment, and government debt (with interest) that they willfully foisted onto their grandkids.

Your generation helped create this shitty world as we know it.

RE: The kids. Again, boomers have no idea what childcare is like when both parents have careers. The era of having a single earner household are over for most Americans (see wage stagnation above), because buying a house and living expenses nowadays require both parents to get out there and make ends meet.

If COVID does anything beneficial to society as a whole, make it so that these boomer's ideals die with them.
    Last edited by Asspen; 01-31-2022 at 03:02 PM.

Money and jobs are very important to a lot of families out there. Most cannot take 50 days a year off from work to keep their kids from spreading colds.
    I guess this is something our society needs to think out a solution for.

It use to pretty rare for families to have two parents that worked outside of the home full time.

Maybe we need to develop a culture with more extended family, friend and community support.

I, for one, think that Harry is personally responsible for 60years of cumulative sins and missteps of the boomer generation. Very reasonable. I mean, couldn't you have called someone or spoken with the generation manger?

I guess this is something our society needs to think out a solution for.

It use to pretty rare for families to have two parents that worked outside of the home full time.

Maybe we need to develop a culture with more extended family, friend and community support.
    I mean, these were all problems before CoVID so why use this crisis moment to change anything? We can only handle solving one issue at a time and the only one that matters is the CoVID death rate.

(Ok, yeah, probably unnecessarily snarky.)

Quote Originally Posted by CarlMega View Post
    I, for one, think that Harry is personally responsible for 60years of cumulative sins and missteps of the boomer generation. Very reasonable. I mean, couldn't you have called someone or spoken with the generation manger?
    Is it wrong to want a world where a guy punching the clock doing skilled work at a manufacturing facility can be the sole breadwinner for a family, purchase a house, and get raises and promotions to stay with the same company for 30+ years? O yea healthcare and 401k included.

God damn you old fucks had it easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post
    Is it wrong to want a world where a guy punching the clock doing skilled work at a manufacturing facility can be the sole breadwinner for a family, purchase a house, and get raises and promotions to stay with the same company for 30+ years? O yea healthcare and 401k included.

OTOH, we've partially dug our own hole. A lot of those guys made due with a 1,200 square foot house and one car. They didn't pay thousands per year for their kids to participate on "elite" sports teams, take expensive vacations or spend hundreds of $ per month for internet, phone and TV.

O yea healthcare and 401k included.

I'm a GenX snotnose. But while we are pining, how about a 401K and a pension. Shit, I had one from my first legit job. What was customary and expected workwise has eroded over the years, but most of that has fuckall to do with COVID and even less to do with life-long skier Harry. Except the island bit, we can keep positive people there in quarantine.

You can thank right to work BS and international outsourcing killing the bargaining power unions had for that way of life ending. Next round, automation and AI kills human outsourcing..

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    I don’t get the “it’s the flu” thing. Maybe the data will come out showing the risk of long term CoVID has gone down, but in the meantime I’m not interested in getting it.
    Same way I feel about long term affects of taking the "vaccine."

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    OTOH, we've partially dug our own hole. A lot of those guys made due with a 1,200 square foot house and one car. They didn't pay thousands per year for their kids to participate on "elite" sports teams, take expensive vacations or spend hundreds of $ per month for internet, phone and TV.
    No.

No.
    No what? You disagree that lots of people lived like that 50 years ago? I think wages for the middle class have stagnated, but lots of people have also come to expect a higher standard of living which requires a two income family nowadays.

I mean, these were all problems before CoVID so why use this crisis moment to change anything? We can only handle solving one issue at a time and the only one that matters is the CoVID death rate.

(Ok, yeah, probably unnecessarily snarky.)
    Covid would have been less of a crisis if we had better systems in place for keeping sick kids and workers home as well as a functional Healthcare system.

You run everything at highest output/least input all the time you don't have anything left to deal with crisis.

ok, let’s do all of that. I don’t disagree. Now let’s talk about how you implement that and enforce it.

we can and must do more than one thing at a time and we shouldn’t preclude the opportunity to make other good changes until we do “X”.

Are you willing to kick down the cash it will take to turn your grocery bagger into a vaccine mandate enforcer? In theory we have an indoor mask mandate where I live. In practice, no one without a mask is refused service because businesses don’t want to deal with enforcement and they know their staff certainly don’t want to deal with it.

While we figure that out, I would propose that their are other incremental steps we can take to reduce the burden on the people least able to absorb the impacts.

I can’t do shit about the federal response or what some dumbass politician in another state does. I can however expect more out of my local and state politicians.

Omicron is a great example. Even in places with high vaccination rates we have seen school closures. Short term, but closures nonetheless. People don’t go to the hospital, but they still need to take time off because they are sick or are quarantined or their kids schools are closed. What’s the impact of a family on the edge loosing their housing because of that? Shouldn’t we make at least a half step to keep the most vulnerable houses and fed?

It just seems so obvious to me. Close a school, particularly a low income and there is an impact. The school closure needs to happen so let’s mitigate the impact.
    Enforcement wouldn't be easy--we'd have to subsidize businesses hiring security guards (if they can be found--maybe use the money saved by defunding the police to hire all the out of work cops), but mostly it would be like speeding--your chances of getting caught are low but high enough and consequences bad enough to keep average speeds down. I'd rather spend money "encouraging" people to get shots than to say home from not getting them.

I wouldn't be closing schools or doing much testing. I'd assume that everyone is being exposed. if you're sick get tested and stay home until you're better. Period. That's for Omicron. When the variant as dangerous as MERS shows up things change.

No what? You disagree that lots of people lived like that 50 years ago? I think wages for the middle class have stagnated, but lots of people have also come to expect a higher standard of living which requires a two income family nowadays.
    You can't buy a 1200 square foot house for under 500,000 where I live.

You can't buy a 1200 square foot house for under 500,000 where I live.
    Well part of the equation is choosing where to live. There are still places in the U.S. where you can still buy a house for $100,000.

Well part of the equation is choosing where to live. There are plenty of places in the U.S. where you can still buy a house for $100,000.
    And they even come with wheels on them. Seriously though, 10-15 years ago that was true around here for folks willing to live about 10 miles out the main parts of town. Now even those areas are easily up 50% over what they were 20 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    Same way I feel about long term affects of taking the "vaccine."
    Cool you’re an idiot, thanks for letting us all know…..
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

look, I respect your opinion and insight, but I’m not going to argue edge cases against the mountain of data that shows that on balance wages have stagnated and the pace of numerous household costs have outpaced whatever gains wages have made.