Page 1386 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1381 1382 1383 1384 1385 1386 1387 1388 1389 1390 1391 ... LastLast
Results 34,626 to 34,650 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    So you don't care about Texans skiing in jeans? Do you get "angry"? Prolly not, but I'm sure you laugh all the same. I'm not getting angry at anyone here. Just laughing at the silliness of it.
    I do totally laugh at that, but it's not a great analogy for two reasons. The first is that there isn't a correct time to ski in jeans - other than gaper day(s) - whereas there still absolutely is a correct time to wear a mask, and the second is that my 70+ mom can't catch the Texan's hypothermia and die just from riding the chair with him.

Buffs =/= N95s. They serve a purpose for fishing/skiing. For COVID, they have been proven to be demonstrably WORSE as they aerosolize the virus into even tinier droplets. So great job with the buffs if that's what you're rocking in a store. All you're doing is nothing but virtue signaling if that's what you're doing to comply instead of a proper mask.
    Oh, so now they pass your test of being okay. But how are you going to know if it is okay to mock them? Could be wearing it for COVID or the sun. Maybe they decided they like their COVID mask for this purpose.

My father in law has severe allergies and had a stack on N95s he wore/wears in public for it leaving COVID aside. Deserves to be mocked?

Hint- your thinking here is like the middle schooler who didn’t get any direction from their parents about how to treat other people.

Grow up.

^^
    LMAO. Like TGR culture's ever been the gold standard of maturity and decency. Alrighty, then.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Hint- your thinking here is like the middle schooler who didn’t get any direction from their parents about how to treat other people.
    That’s pretty much the most accurate summation of MF’s COVID thinking as I’ve seen here.

^^
    LMAO. Like TGR culture's ever been the gold standard of maturity and decency. Alrighty, then.
    Nah, we are talking about you here. You are ducking it because you can’t back it up. Which is unsurprising considering your track record.

Quote Originally Posted by old_newguy View Post
    Nah, we are talking about you here. You are ducking it because you can’t back it up. Which is unsurprising considering your track record.
    Listen man... somebody has to raise the next generation of selfish twats - why not MF?

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    ^^
    having both been hooked up gold standard
    and attempted to return such maggot brofessional favors
    there is a irl maggot standard of such things you may be missins
    yus sayin
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

if it's your buddy or something, no issue having a laugh and being like 'dude, you're driving in car' or whatever. you're in a position to talk it out

but judging someone on the street? nah, I ain't going there. there a shit-ton of people with health issues or bad experiences because they are immuno-compromised. or maybe they watched a loved one die and they are in reaction mode and being ultra sensitive to the situation. Or maybe they have someone vulnerable at home and they need 100% assurance they did everything they could not to take it back to them. bottom line, you don't know their deal so its uber-conceit to lay your personal risk taking level on them

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Man, the selfish I've had enough of this so I'm going to do whatever people piss me off. Especially the anti mask ones. Can't seem to get it through their skulls that it is a basic precaution that when taken as a collective society, makes it safer for everyone. Elderly, immunocompromised, healthy. Everyone. That means get back to normal sooner. That means less dead people. We are at 565,xxx dead Americans. And counting. Just found out yesterday that a buddy's dad died from covid last week. Was he old? yeah. He was. But now my friend is suffering, and probably could have looked forward to another 5 10 years with his dad around. Ach of those 500,000 dead people had friends and family that cared about them and are suffering. But hey, it hasn't happened to you yet. So take your mask off because you're tired of it, or you don't believe in it, or whatever stupid reason you have. But at least be honest with yourself. You are selfish. That you lack empathy. That you are an asshole. And the only thing that will change your tune is when your dad dies from covid. And who knows, maybe he'll catch it from your stupid ass.

It was stated before, this thing wasn't deadly enough. If it had a 10% kill rate, it'd be a lot tougher to bury your head in your ass. It's not that hard to wear a mask in public indoor spaces. And get your fucking shots. Oh, and stop watching Fox news. Fuck.

sent from Utah.
    I’m a little confused.

Should I wear a mask when hiking in the woods alone?

Sure, when going into the grocery store.

The bar requires them until seated. So is that safe?

The problem arises from shitty guidance. It is not just people being selfish. We each seem to have our individual belief when the mask is required. If the CA government says I don’t need to wear one while drinking in an indoor bar, why should I be surprised that people are not wearing them when walking outside?

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    this. such a simple thing to do... anti mask people need to the get over themselves and just do something for others for a change. and, wait for it... it actually does help you too!
    When you raise Americans on the premise of capitalism helps those who help themselves it is hard to get people to think about anyone else. Welcome to America. Just shocked that folks did not realize we are a bunch of selfish twats until now.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Link or it didn't happen. Actually, let me save us both the trouble: no such thing has been proven and there are several studies saying just what you'd expect about buffs: a little protection for the wearer, better for others, reasonably good when multi-layered.

That seems less relevant as time goes on, but this year has shown us how badly our education system is failing and apparently that's going to last.
    This. Beat me to it.

Montuckey is demonstrating how poor Americans are at critical thinking. Maybe this is the crux of our problems

I generally don't wear my mask outdoors unless I am close to others. My choice based on the information I have. The problem we face in my opinion, is that so many of the people who never thought it was a problem, and this refuse to do any mitigation effort at all, do so based on messed up information, or misinformation entirely, and when they eventually become impacted through a death of a loved one, or friend, then all of a sudden they see the light. And some not even after that. Simple basic measures at a societal level, like wearing a mask reduce the likelihood of someone you know dying.
    And just because everyone who wants the vaccine gets it, does not mean from a science perspective that this over. If we fail to achieve herd immunity because dumbfucks won't get a vaccine, and this things mutates, etc it has the potential to set us right back to the starting point. It is in everybody's interest to achieve herd immunity as quickly as possible.
    Herd immunity for polio requires 80% vaccination rate. We have achieved that. Polio is not really a big problem anymore because everyone gets their shots.
    If we can quickly achieve herd immunity for covid, it will not be a big deal anymore either.
    But back to the original point, yes peoe have different levels of risk assessment and decision making models. But if a large percentage of the population makes their decisions based on a risk model that is based on misinformation, or immediate selfishness, that hurts all of us, and they deserved to be called out.

sent from Utah.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    I do totally laugh at that, but it's not a great analogy for two reasons. The first is that there isn't a correct time to ski in jeans - other than gaper day(s) - whereas there still absolutely is a correct time to wear a mask, and the second is that my 70+ mom can't catch the Texan's hypothermia and die just from riding the chair with him.
    Well. There was that time I showed up at the resort and had left my pants at home four hours away. Could not fit into my friends spare pants. She didn’t really want me to try. And I could not buy new ones because by the time early March rolls around the stores in CA had converted to lawn furniture and baseball bats. So I skied in jeans. And I looked great

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I’m a little confused.

Should I wear a mask when hiking in the woods alone?

Sure, when going into the grocery store.

The bar requires them until seated. So is that safe?

The problem arises from shitty guidance. It is not just people being selfish. We each seem to have our individual belief when the mask is required. If the CA government says I don’t need to wear one while drinking in an indoor bar, why should I be surprised that people are not wearing them when walking outside?
    masks for indoor public spaces & stay 6 feet away from each other, out side stay 6 ft away, the masks are not really necessary, I don't go into bars & restaurants since november, I have a very small unmasked bubble
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

So I skied in jeans. And.I looked great
    This could shake all of our foundations. Did you at least have a membrane in the coat?

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    masks for indoor public spaces & stay 6 feet away from each other, out side stay 6 ft away, the masks are not really necessary, I don't go into bars & restaurants since november, I have a very small unmasked bubble
    Should have /sarcasm

I was not looking for advice. Just pointing out that we all see the world through different lenses and if our leaders can’t agree on what is prudent, then we sure as hell won’t.

And please don’t tel me how it is different in Canada. Cause it is not really.

And by the way it is 3’ now. Not 6’. To help illustrate the point. You still think is 6’ because they made that up first. And no one inside anywhere is staying 6’ away from each other.

Bars are open in liberal mask compiling Santa Cruz. Inside. Not packed but people are unmasked and closer than 6’. All following the state guidance, which I hear is draconian when I listen to the news outlets. But is not. I think I can even go bowling again. Which has always been a germ fest.

As states and governments roll back precautions the citizens will do the same. Bunch of my covid fearing mask wearing keep the pod clean pod members wanted to meet out for dinner cause we are all vaxed. And these were the same people shaming others a month ago.

Other friends un-vaxed are hitting up the bar cause they believe the case count must be low of it is allowed. And assume it is safe. They are not doing the long math that LSL does to determine if they go to the bar. They want to sit and have a beer with friends. Inside. So they do.

Just anecdotes, but I don’t see folk complying much longer.

But the messaging is not clear.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Sorry, buffs and bandanas suck.

Wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than no mask at all, researchers find
    By Allyson Chiu

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...9a6_story.html

"In a recently published study, the researchers unveiled a simple method to evaluate the effectiveness of various types of masks, analyzing more than a dozen different facial coverings ranging from hospital-grade N95 respirators to bandanas. Of the 14 masks and other coverings tested, the study found that some easily accessible cotton cloth masks are about as effective as standard surgical masks, while popular alternatives such as neck gaiters may be worse than not wearing a mask at all.

“You can really see the mask is doing something,” said one of the study’s co-authors, Warren S. Warren, a professor of physics, chemistry, radiology and biomedical engineering at Duke. “There’s a lot of controversy and people say, ‘Well, masks don’t do anything.’ Well, the answer is some don’t, but most do.”"

The study: https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont...v.abd3083.full
    RE: Gaiters - So apparently we discussed this way back in August. Funny. Link to the study's been yanked.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This could shake all of our foundations. Did you at least have a membrane in the coat?
    He was rocking his favorite Starter jacket.

Scotchgard

Should have /sarcasm

I was not looking for advice. Just pointing out that we all see the world through different lenses and if our leaders can’t agree on what is prudent, then we sure as hell won’t.

And please don’t tel me how it is different in Canada. Cause it is not really.
    well I'm confused about your confused

i havent said anything about Canada vs USA but you did bring it up so it must be a thing

Canada actualy has a higher per capita infection rate right now than the USA probably due to more completed vaxxes

i was just pointing out reasonable measures that i do
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

In California, at least, what is poorly communicated is that the allowance of places to open, like indoor bars, is due to lower projections of hospitalization not because it’s suddenly a lower risk activity.

Last week’s two episodes of “In the Bubble” included interviews of some epis on safe/not safe behaviors: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000517710799

And an episode about how pandemics end: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000517072418

They always have very smart SME people on that podcast.

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    Flying today, I prefer social distancing

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Because bicycle day?

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    So what if people want to be overly cautious?

0 impact on you.

Why are you butthurt about something that has no effect whatsoever on you?

Oh yeah, that basically defines a conservative anymore since you lot have abandoned any traditional conservatives values.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    His biased news sources have him and his ilk so brainwashed by anger, paranoia and fear mongering, intolerance is all the MAGA morons know

RE: Gaiters - So apparently we discussed this way back in August. Funny. Link to the study's been yanked.
    That was the one. It was yanked because it was garbage. I hope it was archived someplace because it actually was a great example of bad science that should have never made it to peer review as written. Their data was all over the map and they tried to ignore that by providing a speculative explanation for a totally unrepeatable average measurement. The kind of thing sophomore lab students try to get away with (which, to be fair, apart from their prof, they probably were).

When the experiment does not produce consistent results the people who designed it should either troubleshoot and start again or admit that they've proven that the technique doesn't work. There were other issues, too, of course, but the 95% confidence interval ranging from like 30% to 180% of the mean value should have been a red flag.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    I gotta agree here. The pandemic is essentially over when the community agrees as a whole that it is over. That may be true even if the disease is still present within the community.

For me, I'll still wear my mask for the next few months, even though I'm fully immunized. Wearing the mask contributes to the idea that people need to go get their shot(s) so we can stop wearing these things. If my act of wearing the mask makes others think the disease is still present to an extent that they need to get their shot, that's a good thing.

However, if by the end of summer we are still dealing with it and positivity rates are hovering around 1%, I personally will have had enough by then. I would stop wearing my mask around August, unless specifically asked by the premises. At some point, life needs to return to normal, and I'll feel personally that I have done all I should have by then.
    Whether to consider the pandemic over, whether to continue or discontinue precautions is not for each citizen to decide for themselves. It is for health authorities to decide--in conjunction with political authorities when it comes to businesses and public events. (Hopefully those health authorities will be mostly epidemiologists--Osterholm, et al, and less infectious disease physicians--Fauci, et al.) Some members of the public may disagree and decide to flaunt the recommendations or rules from experts but that's been true from day one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Just read this today.

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/18/...-us-civil-war/

Seems like the problem there was putting a whole bunch of people who never were exposed to certain ailments together in crowded, unsanitary conditions. Which will be an issue in the next decade if many persist in hiding from the world, just like it has been for a decade or two with the recent generations protected from most anything by over mothering. Sorry, gotta get out there and build immunities, It's human nature.
    It is true that when large numbers of people are exposed to an infectious disease in dense environments some will be exposed to low bacterial or viral loads and will develop a degree of immunity. When this happens over time-generations- enough people have immunity to slow the spread, but not eliminate it, and some people will die. When a lot of people are exposed all at once--say Indians given smallpox-contaminated blankets--the disease will spread rapidly because no one has immunity and more people will die. Telling people to "get out their and build immunities" is the second scenario, not the first. It is akin to the mistaken idea that immunizations weaken the immune system. "Getting out their" is telling people to contribute to the spread of the virus, the emergence of more variants, and possible getting sick and dying themselves.

If by September the authorities are telling us to throw away our masks and crowd into bars great. If they are telling us that the pandemic is still out of control then anyone who decides on their own that they've had enough and are going to do what they feel like doing is selfish and entitled and has the impulse control , ability to defer gratification, and maturity of a two year old.

So you don't care about Texans skiing in jeans? Do you get "angry"? Prolly not, but I'm sure you laugh all the same. I'm not getting angry at anyone here. Just mentally masturbating about how smart I am and how I can deduce from a distance the intentions of strangers. My new hobby is virtue signaling to myself inside my own brain! If challenged on my immaturity I’ll stay stubborn and try to paint it as noble behavior that’s for the good of “society” and not for my own temporary ego boost via erroneous feelings of moral and intellectual superiority.
    FIFY