Page 1585 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1580 1581 1582 1583 1584 1585 1586 1587 1588 1589 1590 ... LastLast
Results 39,601 to 39,625 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    So just because a cold seems to be sticking around doesn't necessarily mean it is all the same virus.
    I'm not an expert, but this seems wrong to me. Think about it: you've said we probably aren't going to have to worry about a huge Covid outbreak again for a few months because such a high percentage of the population will have immunity. Don't you think the same thing holds true for colds? I doubt it's very common to get infected back-to-back by different cold viruses.

Smart people can correct me if I am wrong
    Ha. Funny. Smart people have been correcting you for hundreds of posts yet you still keep hammering on that keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I doubt it's very common to get infected back-to-back by different cold viruses.
    They could be different viruses, so immunity to one doesn't provide immunity to the other. From WebMD

More than 200 types lead to common colds, but the most common one is the rhinovirus, which is thought to be responsible for at least 50% of colds. Other viruses that can cause colds include coronavirus, respiratory syncytial virus, influenza and parainfluenza.
    So you are recovering from a nasty bout of the rhino only to be hit by the omni and them a mean parainfluenza comes in with a sucker punch.

A negative test doesn't necessarily mean you don't have, or have had, COVID. Particularly with Omicron with a shorter incubation period, and a higher rate of asymptomatic and mildly asymptomatic.

Smart people can correct me if I am wrong, but as I understand it, we are constantly being infected with viruses, sometimes at the same time. Some display symptoms, some don't. So just because a cold seems to be sticking around doesn't necessarily mean it is all the same virus.

You also smoke a lot of weed, which is keeping you safe.
    No shit. About the negative test. Duh. Which means I have to act like I have it to protect others and at the same time act like I don't have it to protect me in case I don't.

And I haven't smoked weed in years, actually, thanks. Just because I used to have to keep it in a warehouse doesn't mean I still do. I'm patiently waiting to be able to get legal retail edibles in my state that I can use for my back pain. Last I checked that didn't make me eligible for MMJ here and besides, no way I want to be on a registry. I won't grow my own because I won't be able to keep my teenager out of it. 4 years and a few weeks until he's legal. Not that I'm counting. And I refuse to import from legal states. At this point in my life, I'm about keeping it as legal possible.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    And I haven't smoked weed in years, actually, thanks.
    Well, that explains your likely Omicron infection.

Well, that explains your likely Omicron infection.
    Right?

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Ha. Funny. Smart people have been correcting you for hundreds of posts yet you still keep hammering on that keyboard.
    Between this thread and others, I really do wonder if he's billing clients during his monomaniacal posting, and for how much.

Quote Originally Posted by oldnew_guy View Post
    What the fuck are you talking about?

I’ve never heard of a cold staying with someone outside of when you get a serious cough, but that always seems to associated with a secondary infection.
    Perhaps that's been the case in your experience, but for me it's dragged on for weeks before. Don't think I'm some rare case either if this article is any indication:
    https://www.health.com/condition/col...es-a-cold-last

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Perhaps that's been the case in your experience, but for me it's dragged on for weeks before. Don't think I'm some rare case either if this article is any indication:
    https://www.health.com/condition/col...es-a-cold-last

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Cold are only suposed to last 3 to 10 days but I also have had winter cough/ colds or wtf they were drag on for weeks and weeks
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Me too.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Ya, if I get a respiratory cold I'm sick for 3-5 weeks unless I can keep it out of my lungs. Virus might be long gone by then, I'll never know.

The cold virus may be gone quickly but the damage done to the lining of the respiratory tract has to heal. That can take a while, depending on how bad the damage is.
    And there a LOT of cold viruses.
    Still waiting on that universal coronavirus vaccine they were promising a couple of years ago. But then there are other types of cold viruses. Colds suck.

Quote Originally Posted by supermodel159 View Post
    If you're triple vaxxed, how could you possibly get it? I'm so disingenuous here.
    FIFY

Fauci says we may be approaching normality.
    Blue state governors , sensing a once in a lifetime opportunity to kill off the opposition, start to roll back mandates.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...andate-hochul/

Lingering "colds" are usually secondary infections. C-19 does seem to be a true long haul infection and not a secondary issue.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

This is weird: The FDA gives EUA to a monoclonal antibody that has only had a phase II trial and only against delta, not omicron. The trial showed faster resolution of symptoms and lower virus levels at 5 days, which are very unimpressive endpoints. Apparently it does work against omicron--in the lab.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/11/w...orization.html

The drug company boss defends the lack of a trial with omicron using the same logic that is used to support changing flu vaccines every year--we can't afford the time it takes to do trials with each new variant. But the logic doesn't hold. When we talk about flu vaccines or doing mRNA vaccines against new variants the vaccines are manufactured based on the new strain of flu or (theoretically)* covid variant. What Lilly is talking about is using a drug made to work against one variant against another without seeing if it works IRL. Hardly the same thing.

*theoretically because it hasn't happened yet, just talked about.

Mask mandates are so terrible:

“Boston-area Marine veteran, blinded by his mask during a gym workout, suffers bruising fall”

https://apple.news/AgFTA2LLwRrep8crVLPc1TA

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Today at school is the first day of mask optional….as we maybe head back towards what life used to be?

0 masks in a K-5 building of about 300 students/adults. It is very clear our community was/is ready to move on….nobody came with a mask today, so we’ll see what happens moving forward.

Listening to the K-5 kids talk about not wearing a mask in school today is very telling to what they/we were “going through” the past 2 years. Today, there is a buzz of excitement throughout the kids….very similar to when there is a snow day or early dismissal coming….lol. It is nice to see smiling faces again.
    Last edited by BC.; 02-15-2022 at 10:26 AM.

The community may be ready to move on. It is not yet clear if the virus is ready to move on. Hopefully it is.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The community may be ready to move on. It is not yet clear if the virus is ready to move on. Hopefully it is.
    I hear people talk about learning to live with covid, are these people actually ready to do the things we've learned or do they just want to move on and maybe get sick and die or maybe not?

Quote Originally Posted by ticketchecker View Post
    I hear people talk about learning to live with covid, are these people actually ready to do the things we've learned or do they just want to move on and maybe get sick and die or maybe not?
    The latter. Modern medicine has done some great things, but eradicating the ever evolving rhinoviruses, coronaviruses, and influenza viruses of the world isn't one of them.

Apparently, death rate in Denmark is exponentially growing….

Well, despite locally falling numbers I got symptoms and popped hot on a breakthrough case (PCR and antigen). So far is just a mild cold.
    Through my 'essential' (heh) work and hobbies I have a lot LOT of close contact with a variety of people so I'm really surprised it didn't happen sooner. Part of me thinks I had it at the beginning before there was regular testing, and this is my second ride.

For work I was at an in-person event all last week that woulda never happened a year ago. Speaks to the community covid fatigue - seems like everyone is ready to move on and just saying 'screw it, if I get it I get it, can't live like this forever.'
    north bound horse.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Apparently, death rate in Denmark is exponentially growing….
    https://www.thelocal.dk/20220215/why...d-deaths-data/

“Dear Eric, once again we would like to stress that the numbers you are sharing with your followers shows (sic.) deaths with (Covid)-19. Not deaths because of (Covid)-19. We would recommend that you read our weekly report for more information on the subject,” SSI tweeted in response to Feigl-Ding.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    https://www.thelocal.dk/20220215/why...d-deaths-data/

“Dear Eric, once again we would like to stress that the numbers you are sharing with your followers shows (sic.) deaths with (Covid)-19. Not deaths because of (Covid)-19. We would recommend that you read our weekly report for more information on the subject,” SSI tweeted in response to Feigl-Ding.
    I image you saw his response to that:
    “Dear SSI—Your report suggests up to 2/3 are because of COVID (since causes other than COVID is 1/3). The 2/3 is seen in too & consistent. Also, when hospitalizations surge, many heart attack & other mortality known to increase too—indirect spillover. whoever is running your account is doing a big disservice to the citizens of your country and to the world. The “with vs of/from” is a well known old COVID denialism excused used in early pandemic.”

There’s a similar discussion on Eric Topol’s related Twitter thread/post.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 02-15-2022 at 07:33 PM.