Page 1327 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1322 1323 1324 1325 1326 1327 1328 1329 1330 1331 1332 ... LastLast
Results 33,151 to 33,175 of 41810
    X

Apparently with transit ratfucked, and wfh, and outdoor restaurants, parking in nyc has gone from difficult to impossible.

There is no hospital bed. There is no place to park. Just drive until you pass out from asphyxiation and die in the middle of the road.

Turn your car radio to AM, listen to talking chodes preparing angry rubes for a civil war as you struggle to breathe. Is it heaven, or just your Buick’s dome light? Does it even matter?

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Apparently with transit ratfucked, and wfh, and outdoor restaurants, parking in nyc has gone from difficult to impossible.

There is no hospital bed. There is no place to park. Just drive until you pass out from asphyxiation and die in the middle of the road.

Turn your car radio to AM, listen to talking chodes preparing angry rubes for a civil war as you struggle to breathe. Is it heaven, or just your Buick’s dome light? Does it even matter?
    Poetry.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post

Ode to a Trumptard!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Here's what I don't get, and I'm admittedly just airing my beef with the world right now, but I don't really get it. It all doesn't make sense.

I went to visit a friend in the local hospital. He was in there for a heart attack.
    All they did was ask me for symptoms, put on a mask and sanitize my hands.

Then I found out (weeks later) that the same hospital had in fact had an outbreak on a different floor than my friend was on.
    He didn't get it luckily. But many (20 < n <50) others died on the floor with the outbreak.

All they did was screen visitors with a questionnaire.
    They did not advise visitors that there was an outbreak.
    We were on a different floor/ward. But still, we all share the same elevators and stairways there.

Couldn't they have done some sort of swab test or other test to quickly ascertain visitor infection status?

I was also surprised that my friend was sharing a room with 4 other people (1 very aged, Alzh. patient), 1 broken femur, 1 something intestinal and his heart attack (that was minor but due to age they wanted to keep him for observation for 4 days).

This makes ZERO sense to me in a pandemic.
    In fact, the hospital, apart from his small ward and maybe the others, seemed quite vacant. I'm just guessing here, but they could have easily given every patient their own room to minimize contagion.

Here's the catch. When my friend was transferred to that ward from Emerg, they made him get a nasal swab and put him on that floor only after being cleared.
    But visitors ... all they have to do is sign in and read a warning sheet and wear a regular issue surgical mask.

Makes even less sense to me now than it did when I first started writing this.
    That patients get tested to be on a floor, but no one else does - in a pandemic where asymptomatic is a primary feature.

I needed to write that somewhere.
    Carry on.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Sense?

Everyone running it is getting rich. That’s the only sense, because the true purpose of the institution is just to harvest funds from sick and injured people.
    The weirdness of seemingly weird choices usually comes from our assumptions that the hospital exists to serve the public...once you realize it only exists to make executives rich, it all makes a lot more sense.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    This study estimates 14%, but that was 1.5 months ago.

Covid-19 infections in the United States may have been four times higher than the number of cases reported, with 1 in 7 US residents infected by mid-November, according to a new study.

As of November 15, about 10.8 million reported cases of Covid-19 were reported to the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, but the study suggests the actual number of infections was closer to 46.9 million.

The study also suggests that approximately 35% of Covid-19 deaths may not be reported.

"Reported Covid-19 cases do not represent the full SARS-CoV-2 disease burden," the researchers wrote in the study, published in the medical journal JAMA Network Open on Tuesday.
    Researchers tested randomly selected blood samples for the presence of Covid-19 antibodies in a series of surveys conducted in 10 states, as well as one nationwide. They derived estimates for the number of infections, hospitalizations and deaths in the US as of Nov. 15 by comparing antibody prevalence in the samples to the number of reported cases to adjust for underreporting.

Gaps between the number of reported infections and estimated number of infections decreased over time, suggesting more widespread access to testing in later months, according to the researchers.

Data from this study may be helpful in monitoring progress toward herd immunity as infections continue to rise, but there is still a long way to go.

"Even after adjusting for underreporting, a substantial gap remains between the estimated proportion of the population infected and the proportion infected required to reach herd immunity," the researchers wrote.
    An excellent infographic from the study:

Attachment 356609

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    Here's what I don't get, and I'm admittedly just airing my beef with the world right now, but I don't really get it. It all doesn't make sense.

I went to visit a friend in the local hospital. He was in there for a heart attack.
    All they did was ask me for symptoms, put on a mask and sanitize my hands.

Then I found out (weeks later) that the same hospital had in fact had an outbreak on a different floor than my friend was on.
    He didn't get it luckily. But many (20 < n <50) others died on the floor with the outbreak.

All they did was screen visitors with a questionnaire.
    They did not advise visitors that there was an outbreak.
    We were on a different floor/ward. But still, we all share the same elevators and stairways there.

Couldn't they have done some sort of swab test or other test to quickly ascertain visitor infection status?

I was also surprised that my friend was sharing a room with 4 other people (1 very aged, Alzh. patient), 1 broken femur, 1 something intestinal and his heart attack (that was minor but due to age they wanted to keep him for observation for 4 days).

This makes ZERO sense to me in a pandemic.
    In fact, the hospital, apart from his small ward and maybe the others, seemed quite vacant. I'm just guessing here, but they could have easily given every patient their own room to minimize contagion.

Here's the catch. When my friend was transferred to that ward from Emerg, they made him get a nasal swab and put him on that floor only after being cleared.
    But visitors ... all they have to do is sign in and read a warning sheet and wear a regular issue surgical mask.

Makes even less sense to me now than it did when I first started writing this.
    That patients get tested to be on a floor, but no one else does - in a pandemic where asymptomatic is a primary feature.

I needed to write that somewhere.
    Carry on.
    Are there enough rooms in a hospital to give everyone their own? Seeing what is happening with over filled hospitals, I doubt it. Our local hospital was staging people in the ER waiting room and halls two weeks back. They have a little more room today, but it is far from vacant.

Spoke with an old friend today. He is in biotech, but nothing like vaccines. He builds bio filters to clear contamination from soils, etc. for the last 15 years, he moved from engineering to sales.

He is very suspect of mRNA and effecting cell biology.

He claims he is not anti vax, but thinks we do vax too much. He plans to sit this one out due to lack of 6 years of data.

Does he have a point,

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    An excellent infographic from the study:

Attachment 356609
    I can't speak to the accuracy, but if you were asking me what my *impression* was of summary of rates, counts and how the multipliers changed over time - it'd be this graphic.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Spoke with an old friend today. He is in biotech, but nothing like vaccines. He builds bio filters to clear contamination from soils, etc. for the last 15 years, he moved from engineering to sales.

He is very suspect of mRNA and effecting cell biology.

He claims he is not anti vax, but thinks we do vax too much. He plans to sit this one out due to lack of 6 years of data.

Does he have a point,
    Yes, that expertise in one field does not necessarily translate to another.

Can someone clarify what it means to 'vax too much'? What does that even mean?

easy on the vax man, moderation

that’s why i’m only getting one shot

Name:  unnamed-3.jpg
Views: 635
Size:  79.9 KB

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	unnamed-2.jpg 
Views:	169 
Size:	112.2 KB 
ID:	356620

Name:  unnamed-4.jpg
Views: 655
Size:  92.4 KB

from the trenches of battling covid

[QUOTE=MultiVerse;6189572]An excellent infographic from the study:

Attachment 356609

Current CDC estimates thru Dec 11.

91 Million infected, 77 million symptomatic.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...es/burden.html
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    Perhaps they mean due to the cumulative toxicity that your body can process only so fast. One vaccine at a time here and there is perfectly safe. Wanna take like all of them at once, well that's where it may be a bit more iffy. Like thiomersal. Mercury based if I'm not mistaken. Your body can handle the normal amount just fine and dispose of it completely within a couple of weeks I think. But wanna dump a bunch in you at once? Well, that's up to you. I for one think one at a time here and there is safest practice in an abundance of caution.

Th story I heard is that normaly there no hurry to make a vaxine so they do the trials one after the other, stop inbetween

with Covid everything was still done but fast as possible so if one trial is looking promising they start the next trial before its finished

they been vaccinating us like mad since we were all little kids, i'm going to get it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Perhaps they mean due to the cumulative toxicity that your body can process only so fast. One vaccine at a time here and there is perfectly safe. Wanna take like all of them at once, well that's where it may be a bit more iffy. Like thiomersal. Mercury based if I'm not mistaken. Your body can handle the normal amount just fine and dispose of it completely within a couple of weeks I think. But wanna dump a bunch in you at once? Well, that's up to you. I for one think one at a time here and there is safest practice in an abundance of caution.
    Thanks, Dr. Science.

Are there enough rooms in a hospital to give everyone their own? Seeing what is happening with over filled hospitals, I doubt it. Our local hospital was staging people in the ER waiting room and halls two weeks back. They have a little more room today, but it is far from vacant.
    Does anyone have hospital occupancy rates for BC?

My impression in early December in BC, Canada - the place was almost a ghost town. Not a soul in common areas, no traffic in stairs or elevators. The parking lot was virtually empty. All the lights out on some floors (as seen from the outside).

Perhaps things have changed since then but it seemed very very quiet. Totally unlike anything I ever saw in a hospital pre-covid.

As per some stats on BC Hospital Resource Use, there are currently 3.36 ICU beds in use per 100K citizens. When I visited the hospital it was 2.2 ICU beds per 100K. For ALL BEDS, when I visited it was 13.25 per 100K. Now it is 16.78 per 100K for all beds.

I don't know how many beds BC actually has.

Some old news I dug up from October 2nd in BC : B.C.’s hospitals still have thousands of empty beds in case of COVID surge:

The province’s hospitals were operating at 76 per cent capacity as of Sept. 28, according to numbers provided to The News by the Ministry of Health. That means there are more than 2,600 free acute-care beds available and unoccupied.
    ... Before this year’s pandemic, B.C.’s hospital system had operated at 103 per cent capacity, meaning that at any one time, dozens of patients around the province were situated in makeshift “surge” beds and locations.
    So ... according to that, hospital capacity here is better now than pre-pandemic.

According to this Critical care capacity in Canada report from 2015, there are wide disparities of ICU beds and equipment from hospital to hospital that cannot be explained by population differences. Basically, ICU resources all depends on where you live and how bad the situation there is.

As per that too:

There is substantial global variation in the capacity to provide critical care [7]. Previous estimates using national health administrative data indicate that Canada has far fewer ICU beds per capita than the United States, but similar numbers of ICU beds to those in many Western European nations
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    I’ve asked for clarification on that point specifically. No return text. I was wondering if he thought the annual flu vax was pointless or chicken pox not dangerous enough or just thought measles was no big deal?

Not sure if I’ll visit with them next summer if mom and dad don’t get vaccinated.

To edit my question: does anyone here have an educated perspective on the use of mRNA vaccine without having a long term study of any vaccine using mRNA?

My buddy suggested I read up on Google. I don’t trust this internet, so I came here.

I’ve asked for clarification on that point specifically. No return text. I was wondering if he thought the annual flu vax was pointless or chicken pox not dangerous enough or just thought measles was no big deal?

Not sure if I’ll visit with them next summer if mom and dad don’t get vaccinated.

To edit my question: does anyone here have an educated perspective on the use of mRNA vaccine without having a long term study of any vaccine using mRNA?

My buddy suggested I read up on Google. I don’t trust this internet, so I came here.
    Dr. Crotty does a decent job of putting it into layman's terms.

Move upside and let the man go through...

mRNA vaccines are used in veterinary medicine, so there is that. The basic immune and protein synthetic mechanisms are the same as in humans.
    is it possible that tinkering with the protein synthesis mechanism of human cells could have unforeseen consequences? Of course. Pretty much everything in medicine has unforeseen consequences. The question is--is the risk worth it? I think the answer is obviously yes.
    And BTW the Covid vaccines aren't overnight successes--the work started with SARS, or maybe sooner--I don't know the whole history--so that's nearly 20 years ago. The big breakthrough came years ago when they figured out how to modify mRNA to create a stable version of the spike protein. When new vaccines are developed most of the time is spent in figuring out how generate antibody responses in cell cultures, then animals, then conducting clinical trials looking first at safety, then optimal dosing schedules, then doing phase 3 trials for non pandemic diseases that take a long time for enough people to get sick from less common diseases in order to generate valid results. In the case of Covid 19 the first steps went quickly not because of being rushed but because of the sophistication of gene sequencing, biosynthesis and the like compared to past decades. The part that was rushed, perhaps, was investigating alternate dosing and less rigorous cold transport regimens, which is why now we're debating one dose or two, full dose or half dose. (Note the Astra Zenica trial where some volunteers got a half dose by accident and seemed to do better than the full dose subjects.) The phase 3 trials were fast because--it's a pandemic. No shortage of people getting sick.

They told me in med school all the biochemistry would be useful my daily practice. This is the first time in nearly 50 years that I've had to think about it.

Tested negative. Stoked. I am blown away that, given the level of exposure I got, I apparently don't have it.

I'm gonna get an antibody test.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Tested negative. Stoked. I am blown away that, given the level of exposure I got, I apparently don't have it.

I'm gonna get an antibody test.
    Or alternatively, you are healthy and have a well functioning immune system. Rock on!

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Or alternatively, you are healthy and have a well functioning immune system. Rock on!
    Or that trunk-vaccine he got worked?