Page 1525 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1520 1521 1522 1523 1524 1525 1526 1527 1528 1529 1530 ... LastLast
Results 38,101 to 38,125 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    You’re right, these are very real life issues. I think the blowback you are seeing is based on perceived political priorities. The US is woefully lacking in things like paid sick time, health insurance, and minimum wages for essential workers. For years child care workers have been underpaid and shit on. Parents showing up late and bitching about late fees, they expect the staff to put their life on hold for their convenience. Sending kids they know are sick into the daycare or school and making the staff deal with it. Now the parents are pissed that staff is getting sick and the centers have to close. And the staff is often working for a minimum wage that at the federal level hasn’t changed in over a decade.

So yeah, when someone whose posting history seems to suggest support of a party actively working against addressing any of these issues it’s hard to feel sympathy.
    Yes, 100%

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Teachers have unions. And sick days. And insurance. And substitute teachers.

How about those daycare workers…
    Substitute teachers are extremely limited or non existent in my neck of the woods right now.

Daycare workers get shit. Most broken system. Sucks for the centers, the teachers, and the parents. I lived it for too many years.

Well, had a wild night of aches, chills, and night sweats…….Got up and took the rapid test, came back positive……I actually feel better right now, mainly sinus related symptoms…..Nurse hotline recommended getting a PCR to confirm, so I’m going to wade into that shitshow right now….Currently isolated in spare bedroom, but I’ll be fucking shocked if the whole family doesn’t get it. Fack.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Well, had a wild night of aches, chills, and night sweats…….Got up and took the rapid test, came back positive……I actually feel better right now, mainly sinus related symptoms…..Nurse hotline recommended getting a PCR to confirm, so I’m going to wade into that shitshow right now….Currently isolated in spare bedroom, but I’ll be fucking shocked if the whole family doesn’t get it. Fack.
    Why do you need PCR - you have the symptoms and you have a positive test result - what are the chances that’s a false positive and you have something else (or something in addition like the flu - and if so how relevant and useful will that information be)

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    Substitute teachers are extremely limited or non existent in my neck of the woods right now.
    I think they are thin on the ground lots of places - there’s a shortage near me - and of course, they often don’t produce the most productive in person education sessions. One of the solutions proposed for the shortage was up the pay from $160 per day to >$200 day. It’s really easy (and profitable) to scream “generational harm, get back to normal” and not care about the details of getting back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Bro, you know I love you like a brother, and wish the best for you & your family, but I gotta point out that you just made TGR history. The first documented photo of the exact moment a Covid infestation happened.

All the best to your family. Sending you a text.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    Nominee for post of the year.

Voluntarily go to largest metropolitan area in the height of pandemic, don't cancel plans when case counts are exponential in the area (post pictures there LOL).....Complain about getting COVID.

It's coming for all of us eventually. While you may not wish the same to me, I hope you and your family recover fully Seano.

Why do you need PCR -
    Does an antigen test make Canada and US happy on their you don't need to test to travel if you have had COVID rule? I can't find the answer of whether you need PCR or if antigen is sufficient (but to play it safe, you may want to get PCR). So if seano wants to travel internationally in the next 90/180 days, he may need to get the PCR (dumb rule, but I don't write the rules). CDC rule:

People who have recovered from COVID-19 can continue to test positive for up to 3 months after their infection. CDC does not recommend retesting within 3 months after a person with COVID-19 first developed symptoms of COVID-19 (or the date their sample was taken for their first positive viral diagnostic test if their infection was asymptomatic).

If you have had a positive viral test on a sample taken during the past 90 days, and you have met the criteria to end isolation, you may travel instead with your positive viral test results and a signed letter from a licensed healthcare provider or a public health official that states you have been cleared for travel. The positive test result and letter together are referred to as “documentation of recovery.”

A letter from your healthcare provider or a public health official that clears you to end isolation, e.g., to return to work or school, can be used to show you are cleared to travel, even if travel isn’t specifically mentioned in the letter. The letter must have information that identifies you personally (e.g., name and date of birth) that matches the personal identifiers on your passport or other travel documents. The letter must be signed and dated on official letterhead that contains the name, address, and phone number of the healthcare provider or public health official who signed the letter.

If you have recovered from COVID-19 but are not able to obtain documentation of recovery that fulfills the requirements, you will need to show a negative COVID-19 viral test result from a sample taken no more than 1 day before your flight to the US departs.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post

Voluntarily go to largest metropolitan area in the height of pandemic, don't cancel plans when case counts are exponential in the area (post pictures there LOL).....Complain about getting COVID.

It's coming for all of us eventually. While you may not wish the same to me, I hope you and your family recover fully Seano.
    what does going to a large metro have to do with anything? Small little mountain towns have gotten ripped with covid too.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    I think they are thin on the ground lots of places - there’s a shortage near me - and of course, they often don’t produce the most productive in person education sessions. One of the solutions proposed for the shortage was up the pay from $160 per day to >$200 day. It’s really easy (and profitable) to scream “generational harm, get back to normal” and not care about the details of getting back to normal.
    I’m not saying teachers have it easy here.

Just pointing out the goalpost moving when people are crying about daycares being closed and when confronted with the reality of how this affects daycare workers they start spouting off about teachers pay.

I’m not saying teachers have it easy here.

Just pointing out the goalpost moving when people are crying about daycares being closed and when confronted with the reality of how this affects daycare workers they start spouting off about teachers pay.
    It might be relevant to the degree that better than average teacher pay encourages those daycare workers to find a way to finish college and get that teaching certificate.. So, the good ones don't stay in that daycare gig all that long if they have a path to teaching..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

news from austria:

outdoor mask mandate ( whenever you encounter someone outside, ffp2 mask must to be worn )

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I live in Tacoma, not bumfuck Idaho. Teachers here make between $58 to $123k a year. It's ok to wonder why the CDC is telling unvacinated exposed to COVID to isolate for 5 days, Seattle Public Schools saying 7, and then Tacoma Health Department saying 14. Questioning this logic doesn't mean you're some budget cutting conservative.
    I mean, it wasn't directed at you, but the recommendation changes have clear sources: Large businesses with lobbying power coupled with people not paying attention to any isolation standards. We know the infectious period is more than 5 days, but the reality of testing and symptom delays along with people who have workplaces that aren't giving out additional sick time means you have a struggle policy-wise. The big lockdowns and delays have, historically, just led to states with conservative leadership ignoring them. So if you make it more reasonable, will you get more compliance? That appears to be what they're trying. What SHOULD be happening is unvaccinated locked down and quarantined so the responsible people get reward for their responsibility and can have some tangible benefit, but we don't have enough sensible state leadership for that to happen. Shit sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Asspen View Post

Look dude, I’m not complaining about getting COVID…….I knew there was a risk, I took it, and now I’m dealing with the consequences…..And if you or yours get it, of course I would hope you all would recover fully……Thanks for the well wishes.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I mean, it wasn't directed at you, but the recommendation changes have clear sources: Large businesses with lobbying power coupled with people not paying attention to any isolation standards. We know the infectious period is more than 5 days, but the reality of testing and symptom delays along with people who have workplaces that aren't giving out additional sick time means you have a struggle policy-wise. The big lockdowns and delays have, historically, just led to states with conservative leadership ignoring them. So if you make it more reasonable, will you get more compliance? That appears to be what they're trying. What SHOULD be happening is unvaccinated locked down and quarantined so the responsible people get reward for their responsibility and can have some tangible benefit, but we don't have enough sensible state leadership for that to happen. Shit sucks.
    I was under the impression that the shift to 5 days was justified by the fact that rapid tests they had planned to send everyone are a good measure of when a person is contagious but not before or after.. + rapid test and you should stay home for the contagious period, 5 days then wear a mask 5 days to be extra careful.

The reality is that with the insanely contagiousness of Omicron society would shut down pretty completely if everyone has to isolate for the full term of a positive PCR test, 10-14 days. I'd guess they decided we can only stay open with half of that in practice.. If only those rapid tests really were in all our mailboxes... it might have been manageable.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

So are you out there advocating for higher teacher pay and school budgets? Additional support?
    Did you read my posts?

Yes, I have, and do! But I am specifically talking about daycares and their workers. They have no union and are completely SHIT ON.

Money where my mouth is? Yup!

We found our nanny at our old daycare. When we heard about how shitty they are treated we stopped supporting the daycare and removed our infant. We continued talking to many of the staff and ultimately offered to pay a salary (30k annually) for 30-35 hours of work per week. Our nanny is paid every 2 weeks, all 52 weeks of the year. If we go on vacation, she is still paid, if she is sick, she is still paid, if she wants to take vacation, she is still paid. We are basically giving her a universal basic income and when she is not sitting she is free to do what she wants, so she teaches art at a local studio.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    I was under the impression that the shift to 5 days was justified by the fact that rapid tests they had planned to send everyone are a good measure of when a person is contagious but not before or after.. + rapid test and you should stay home for the contagious period, 5 days then wear a mask 5 days to be extra careful.

The reality is that with the insanely contagiousness of Omicron society would shut down pretty completely if everyone has to isolate for the full term of a positive PCR test, 10-14 days. I'd guess they decided we can only stay open with half of that in practice.. If only those rapid tests really were in all our mailboxes... it might have been manageable.
    My state one was less than 48 hours from order->in my mailbox.

My state one was less than 48 hours from order->in my mailbox.
    I bought two of the Abbott kits the minute I saw them first available, then ordered two more when I saw how quickly they sold out. Still got 3 and a half of them. Daughter gets tested weekly at school now. I figure every time she comes back - the rest of us at home are probably also -

A whole lot here about teachers, subs and day care that doesn't fit my experience. My daughter was a day care worker in Tacoma. She has a NYS Teacher degree but has never been able to use it outside of NYS. She left the day care for a good paying job with a plumbing supply company. She loves kids and teaching them so much that I once asked her why she quit. "Loved the kids, couldn't stand the parents."

You can't make this up.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiLyft View Post
    Did you read my posts?

Yes, I have, and do! But I am specifically talking about daycares and their workers. They have no union and are completely SHIT ON.

Money where my mouth is? Yup!

We found our nanny at our old daycare. When we heard about how shitty they are treated we stopped supporting the daycare and removed our infant. We continued talking to many of the staff and ultimately offered to pay a salary (30k annually) for 30-35 hours of work per week. Our nanny is paid every 2 weeks, all 52 weeks of the year. If we go on vacation, she is still paid, if she is sick, she is still paid, if she wants to take vacation, she is still paid. We are basically giving her a universal basic income and when she is not sitting she is free to do what she wants, so she teaches art at a local studio.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Awesome! I just hear a lot of people complaining and not doing anything about it or talking out of both sides of their mouth, so great on you that you did something about it. We were lucky that our old daycare did cover a lot of the sick time etc. We paid more, but it was clear the difference in quality of teacher and experience. Really we need a more cohesive approach to child care in the US, as the current system is utter garbage, regardless of social class.

I just got an email from Kaiser telling us that if you're positive on a rapid test you don't need a PCR. (They also said good luck finding either.) False positives are pretty rare with rapid tests, especially if symptomatic. Why would they want you to go get a PCR and spread your covid to people?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I just got an email from Kaiser telling us that if you're positive on a rapid test you don't need a PCR. (They also said good luck finding either.) False positives are pretty rare with rapid tests, especially if symptomatic. Why would they want you to go get a PCR and spread your covid to people?
    I’m getting conflicting info……Like I said, nurse hotline said go get a PCR. State DOH says don’t need to…..I’m prolly just gonna hunker down and ride it out. Oh, Thing One just tested positive too, at least she’s asymptomatic, for now…..
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Masks don’t hamper social interaction or communication at all. Are you too stupid to look at people’s eyes or listen to their voice?

Your absolutism could use some nuance.
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Wife’s coworker (psychologist working in a hospital) sounded like shit yesterday but still stayed seeing patients.
    This morning wife has a dry and consistent cough.
    Here we go…

Brief article on Colloidal Silver and the creeps who peddle it.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/88g8...est-fake-cures

COVID-19 Is Bringing Back One of the Oldest and Strangest Fake Cures
    Colloidal silver, one of the oldest faux cure-alls, has made an unsurprising comeback in the pandemic age.

Outbreak in austrian brothel.
    9 employes have tested positive.
    All guests since new years eve shall monitor there health status.

Name of the place : )
    https://wellcum.at/

I’m getting conflicting info……Like I said, nurse hotline said go get a PCR. State DOH says don’t need to…..I’m prolly just gonna hunker down and ride it out. Oh, Thing One just tested positive too, at least she’s asymptomatic, for now…..
    Bummer man. Hopefully you have folks who can deliver food and meds as needed.