Page 914 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 ... LastLast
Results 22,826 to 22,850 of 41810

Haven't been on this thread in a awhile...hopefully it's not a dreaded double post and/or previously discussed ad nauseam.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...GY3PX1UE1YhpR8

"People who have recovered from Covid-19 may lose their immunity to the disease within months, according to research suggesting the virus could reinfect people year after year, like common colds.

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined."
    Master of mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Exactly what I’m saying.

Do you think that’s just gonna happen? Like. Enough people die or get sick and society is gonna be “hey let’s go listen to those degrees!”

There seems to be a disconnect between identifying this as a problem and actually solving that problem or even conceiving of it as a problem to solve. It’s confusing.

You know what’s not going to fix it? Telling people to “listen to the experts.”
    You're describing an American problem. No solutions offered on my part.

Before one bristles I'd point out that idiocracy and anti intellectualism is rife in most of the OECD (ref anti vaxxers as percentage of population among OECD).

However no other "First World" country seems to share the amplitude of the US social fracturing + disdain for science. Yet the people of other such countries have followed the voice of experts.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I think he's an expert on coastal winds.
    and gondola cables

Quote Originally Posted by swissiphic View Post
    Haven't been on this thread in a awhile...hopefully it's not a dreaded double post and/or previously discussed ad nauseam.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...GY3PX1UE1YhpR8

"People who have recovered from Covid-19 may lose their immunity to the disease within months, according to research suggesting the virus could reinfect people year after year, like common colds.

In the first longitudinal study of its kind, scientists analysed the immune response of more than 90 patients and healthcare workers at Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS foundation trust and found levels of antibodies that can destroy the virus peaked about three weeks after the onset of symptoms then swiftly declined."
    I’m still not buying this theory. Didn’t we go over the two types of antibodies, and the expected response is heightened levels of both while the virus is present. Followed by a dropping off of the antibodies that actually fight the virus, with the “detection” antibodies remaining?

Someone had a post for dummies about this a while back.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3DC2AA04-250C-4CB7-8D95-52B8E98EA8A7.png 
Views:	92 
Size:	348.8 KB 
ID:	334654

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Pretty sure they confirm cases every year around here in prairie dogs. NBD.
    That's what Trump said about coronavirus.

12 cases
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Scariest news today is somebody in the administration proposing that the National Guard come into hospitals and "help" collect data about cases and deaths. Next step is to classify that altered data, I suppose.

Anyone who voted for trump and who intends to vote again for trump is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Found out one of my high school roommates died of a combination of Covid and Alcoholism.
    He probably would have survived one or the other, but withdrawal in the icu was just too much.
    I bet some of you knew him.
    RIP, Art.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    However no other "First World" country seems to share the amplitude of the US social fracturing + disdain for science. Yet the people of other such countries have followed the voice of experts.
    Reality will win the day...meaning, we might never see someone like a anti-masker or anti-vaxxer come out and say they were wrong, but when the reality of clinging to their preconceived notions clearly shows higher potential for death or serious long-term health issues most will get onboard with the solution, if that's a vaccine or what have you.

Not to turn this into a climate change thread, but if you look at people who get cancer that are climate change denialists, take my FIL for example, you see that they fully embrace science when it suits them, going with cancer treatment to save his life. Yet he still thinks climate change is a hoax....that's because he can put his head in the sand on that topic, but when it comes to cancer he had to embrace science. The same will be true for COVID-19.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

how about god & science ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Found out one of my high school roommates died of a combination of Covid and Alcoholism.
    He probably would have survived one or the other, but withdrawal in the icu was just too much.
    I bet some of you knew him.
    RIP, Art.
    Bummer. Don't know him. RIP Art.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    Bubonic plague confirmed in Jefferson county CO squirrel. Should we start a new thread for that?
    Maybe a Jefferson County subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Colorado Weather Discussion?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    When are they going to change the name of the county.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Anyone who voted for trump and who intends to vote again for trump is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

what about those of us planning to take a week off before the election and heading to swing states to campaign for him ? that's gotta be a part of a solution.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Fuckin dork

Bummer. Don't know him. RIP Art.
    I knew him from the Stowe School, so I imagine some circles overlap.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Reality will win the day...meaning, we might never see someone like a anti-masker or anti-vaxxer come out and say they were wrong, but when the reality of clinging to their preconceived notions clearly shows higher potential for death or serious long-term health issues most will get onboard with the solution, if that's a vaccine or what have you.

Not to turn this into a climate change thread, but if you look at people who get cancer that are climate change denialists, take my FIL for example, you see that they fully embrace science when it suits them, going with cancer treatment to save his life. Yet he still thinks climate change is a hoax....that's because he can put his head in the sand on that topic, but when it comes to cancer he had to embrace science. The same will be true for COVID-19.
    I just witnessed this at work. Conspiratard co-worker was a "just the flu" guy. We're in about a 2,000 sq ft temporary trailer. Two of the 12 people who work in here mysteriously are "out for two weeks" with no notice or other explanation- obviously out on quarantine. He cares for an elderly mother. All of the sudden he's a die-hard mask wearer. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    what about those of us planning to take a week off before the election and heading to swing states to campaign for him ? that's gotta be a part of a solution.
    No, that part of the problem. But you knew I'd say that.

No, that part of the problem. But you knew I'd say that.
    I bet that would be a really strange experience, to pound the pavement campaigning for his Orangeness.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by SkiCougar View Post
    It could be part of a solution. You'll need a T-shirt that says "I'm from Texas and I'm here to help."

Or you could just stay in Texas--sounds like you've been heading for swing state status yourselves lately. KAG.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    It could be part of a solution. You'll need a T-shirt that says "I'm from Texas and I'm here to help."

Or you could just stay in Texas--sounds like you've been heading for swing state status yourselves lately. KAG.
    43 pages of obituaries in a recent Houston Chronicle edition. Texass fuckin rocks! KAG