Page 1508 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1503 1504 1505 1506 1507 1508 1509 1510 1511 1512 1513 ... LastLast
Results 37,676 to 37,700 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    My kids learned a lot more doing the homeschooling program last year. They're in person now and the school district we're in is allegedly the best or second best in the state. We (mostly my wife) were able to put the time in last year to make it a success...a lot of people don't have that luxury.

Do you have kids? If so, were you homeschooling?

One general observation I have from your posts is that you're typically taking the negative angle on just about everything. I don't know if it's your political beliefs that drives your behavior, but that would be my guess. Turn off whatever ",news" sources you read/listen to...you're being mislead.
    You basically only post about politics here, and when I do the same it’s usually to point out your hypocrisy often so I can see how you would think that.

But in his case every measurable statistic, from participation rates, to test scores, to mental health, all say you are wrong here. The kids are not alright and that is going to have long lasting effects.

Frankly it does feel a like politics and people’s urge to be right is blinding them from the fact that the kids are getting fucked here. I cannot understand the cognitive dissonance here of some posters kids literally making suicide attempts from the conditions imposed on them, then arguing for those conditions to continue out of some sort of allegiance.

Arguing that your kids are fine because your family can afford for one parent to focus exclusively on home schooling or tutoring is a luxury very few families have outside of TGR world and you know this.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    You basically only post about politics here, and when I do the same it’s usually to point out your hypocrisy often so I can see how you would think that.

But in his case every measurable statistic, from participation rates, to test scores, to mental health, all say you are wrong here. The kids are not alright and that is going to have long lasting effects.

Frankly it does feel a like politics and people’s urge to be right is blinding them from the fact that the kids are getting fucked here. I cannot understand the cognitive dissonance here of some posters kids literally making suicide attempts from the conditions imposed on them, then arguing for those conditions to continue out of some sort of allegiance.

Arguing that your kids are fine because your family can afford for one parent to focus exclusively on home schooling or tutoring is a luxury very few families have outside of TGR world and you know this.
    Yup. Just like the economy is great for the work from homers, their kids are cool because they have the luxury of home schooling. But even those kids have been harmed. They've lost a few years of socialization they'll never get back.
    There was a teen mental health crisis well before Covid. Just one statistic. One out of five millennials have no friends. Zero. And this certainly is not making things better for the even younger.

The kids are alright

How many friends do you have Benny?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

You do realize none of this would be an issues now if all the people complaining had followed science in the first place and masked, distanced and got vaccinated. The people bitching the loudest now are the ones causing the problem. I have lost tolerance for the AR's of the world, they are fucking it up for everybody.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    The kids are alright

How many friends do you have Benny?

Dude, I'm at an age where I have watched friends die. I dont sit in a classroom or play in games that have the potential of new friends daily.

The kids are not alright.

I understand your points but what is your solution. Pretend all is good! And continue on. Just close the eyes and say: live is beautiful???

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    I understand your points but what is your solution. Pretend all is good! And continue on. Just close the eyes and say: live is beautiful???
    To finally recognize that this virus is killing old people by a large majority. But, as usual, we are investing all of this time and effort in keeping a selfish generation alive for a few more years, and telling the kids to deal with it.

Have you guys seen "Don't Look Up"?

Look under Netflix recs in moviemusicbooks.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    To finally recognize that this virus is killing old people by a large majority. But, as usual, we are investing all of this time and effort in keeping a selfish generation alive for a few more years, and telling the kids to deal with it.
    Except with the ERs and ICUs full people of all ages and physical conditions are getting turned away from critical triage care because the facilities are overwhelmed. So, someone with a treatable injury or condition ...say riding their bike and gets hit by a car... dies of injuries that could have been treated at any local care facility but got sent to another one 100 miles away and dies on the way.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

You don’t stop wrestling until the gorilla gets tired. The gorilla is just playing with us & lots of folks are giving up.

The majority of kids are as adaptable as their parents. The problem is the parents.

We have 820k dead.
    Think about that - a top 20 US city population gone in a couple years.

We are not at the threshold of managing it yet. We’re still just holding on for dear life, and people want to go back to normal. WE’RE NOT THERE YET!

Fucking frustrating.

Most people aren't giving up on fighting the gorilla, they are adapting to fight it in their daily lives without sacrificing other factors like mental health, physical health, fiscal health, etc.

When you tell people that the Omicron variant is less severe, less obtrusive, and the don't have to quarantine as long, then of course they are going to take it as a chance to lighten up on protocols. Even when you also tell them that it is everywhere and 50X more transmissible than previous variants.

Compromising from both ends to form a more pragmatic response that people can relate to is going to be what gets us through this pandemic. Shouting people down with lockdowns, mask mandates, vaccine mandates, and other harsh measures is just going to make people push back harder.

Dude, I'm at an age where I have watched friends die. I dont sit in a classroom or play in games that have the potential of new friends daily.

The kids are not alright.
    I’ve watched friends die, I’m not far behind you. I have many friends, do you?

The kids are alright, as good as they can be. It’s the adults that are fucked.

We can keep bitching about the pandemic but it’s clear that nobody is changing their mind. Do what you can, get on with life as best as you can.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Most people aren't giving up on fighting the gorilla, they are adapting to fight it in their daily lives without sacrificing other factors like mental health, physical health, fiscal health, etc.

When you tell people that the Omicron variant is less severe, less obtrusive, and the don't have to quarantine as long, then of course they are going to take it as a chance to lighten up on protocols. Even when you also tell them that it is everywhere and 50X more transmissible than previous variants.

Compromising from both ends to form a more pragmatic response that people can relate to is going to be what gets us through this pandemic. Shouting people down with lockdowns, mask mandates, vaccine mandates, and other harsh measures is just going to make people push back harder.
    Sounds rational, but it is unfortunately not the world we live in. It assumes everyone is on the same page. Mandates exist because people cannot be counted on to do the right thing.

Until we have a significant majority working in the same direction, we just wallow slowly along making marginal gains.

Wife ran to Whole Foods this morning to quickly grab a few things right when they open and avoid crowds. Self checkout only, no cashiers cuz everyone out sick according to the one employee she talked to. Good times!

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post

You definitely took the wrong thing from my post. I was agreeing with you that my family's the exception of how it worked well. I agree that we need to kids back in schools. What I don't agree with is many who think that they don't need masks, that teachers just need to suck it up, etc. That shit doesn't sit well with me.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

All the people without kids pontificating on how this all affects kids.

Yeah as if you have a clue

Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

The thing is that we all have to adapt and make sacrifices to survive this fucked up time. Kids included.

Fucked up times aren't new. And kids get through it because that's what humans do. They survive.

Kids with parents that look for solutions and model compassion and concern for the community as a whole beyond their own personal comfort tend to grow up to be better humans than those with parents who model a cry baby victim mentality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post

Of course we have clues, because we were kids once. Imagine losing eighth and ninth grade. Imagine spending freshman and now sophomore year in college on zoom, stuck in a single room. But, nope, it's save the fat, old, diabetic, and slovenly boomers, millions of whom are so fucking bitter and stupid they all think this is fake or something.
    Those over 800,000 dead? Over 600,000 are over 65. and most of them are over 72. Factor in the obese, who are a majority, and the smokers, and, well, this is what you want society to shut down for? The kids aren't dying, hardly any are getting sick. And yet they are sacrificing much more than I am. Fuck, my life isn't that much different, but their's are scarred forever. Betcha in a few years we're going to hear about how a certain segment of that generation is going to be passed over for hiring because of all this. Nope, we'll just wait for the kids who didn't get zoomed in college, says the compassionate capitalists.

Of course we have clues, because we were kids once. Imagine losing eighth and ninth grade. Imagine spending freshman and now sophomore year in college on zoom, stuck in a single room. But, nope, it's save the fat, old, diabetic, and slovenly boomers, millions of whom are so fucking bitter and stupid they all think this is fake or something.
    Those over 800,000 dead? Over 600,000 are over 65. and most of them are over 72. Factor in the obese, who are a majority, and the smokers, and, well, this is what you want society to shut down for? The kids aren't dying, hardly any are getting sick. And yet they are sacrificing much more than I am. Fuck, my life isn't that much different, but their's are scarred forever. Betcha in a few years we're going to hear about how a certain segment of that generation is going to be passed over for hiring because of all this. Nope, we'll just wait for the kids who didn't get zoomed in college, says the compassionate capitalists.
    You do realize that young people from all generations have experienced all sorts of traumas during their childhoods and young adulthoods but managed to overcome said traumas and go on to live happy, productive lives, right?

That's kind of my point. So, let's help them, not hurt them.

Vaccination mandate for the sake of the youth.... and for whatever reason you want it. Just because joe doesnt have the balls and the republicans are against it makes teenager suffer? Is my thinking correct?

Quote Originally Posted by nordekette View Post
    Vaccination mandate for the sake of the youth.... and for whatever reason you want it. Just because joe doesnt have the balls and the republicans are against it makes teenager suffer? Is my thinking correct?
    Not really. If you don't want a vaccine at this point, fuck ya. Enough already.

And, you'd be surprised how many Democratic urban dwellers are anti vax.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

I was with you until your last sentence.
    it is not the advocates of vaccination and masking and isolating (including social distancing) that I see "shouting down" others ; it is people who are widely characterized as 'antivaxx, antimask' who are defiantly insisting that others should not take precautionary measures ( see SYG's photos, up-thread, previous page or two ).

While omicron is the current variant of ,,, attention, delta is still out there; immunity wanes, and with booster rate at approximately twenty percent ,,, who knows what lies ahead.
    I don't know how 'lighten(-ing) up on protocols' protects health - but I do accept that is human nature.

That this continues to be perceived and pursued as a matter of individual choice and individual freedom ,,, saddens me
    ( there is Mike Huckabee last night, on his television show, saying, 'I don't think you should be Told what to put in your body... ' )

okay. so let's work together to control the spread of this disease.
    I promote vaccination, and I greatly limit my exposure to others ( and I mask indoors ) -
    I don't know how this equates to trying to 'shout people down', and I deny it.

Be well,
    please, Be Safe

( please, Be vaccinated and boostered when eligible ) tj

With the current healthcare system overload we basically have two choices.. Kids in school WITH MASKS or kids at home school remote. That's the price of freedom.. masks.. not death..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!