Page 1133 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1128 1129 1130 1131 1132 1133 1134 1135 1136 1137 1138 ... LastLast
Results 28,301 to 28,325 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by half-fast View Post
    Everyone has a plan. Until they get punched in the face.

Mike Tyson
    My motto for 2020

Related to getting punched in the face ... Chris Christie says he should have worn a mask.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...in-white-house

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That's an interesting data point. How consistent are they with this protocol? Any chance you can say how many asymptomatic positives?
    We do a paid, monitored (security, door alarms, etc) quarantine in a hotel, so very good compliance. Over the course of the pandemic, our positive rate was less than 1.5%. Given the close proximity of working/living quarters (shoreside and at-sea seafood processing), and given other companies' outbreaks, we're pretty confident that we would have seen spread if cases were slipping through/protocols not being followed.

Quote Originally Posted by truckeelocal View Post
    Related to getting punched in the face ... Chris Christie says he should have worn a mask.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...in-white-house
    Refreshing display of humility and acknowledging he made a mistake.

"I was wrong. I was wrong not to wear a mask at the Amy Coney Barrett announcement and I was wrong not to wear a mask at my multiple debate prep sessions with the president and the rest of the team.”

“I hope that my experience shows my fellow citizens that you should follow C.D.C. guidelines in public no matter where you are and wear a mask to protect yourself and others"

The virus is “something to take very seriously. The ramifications are wildly random and potentially deadly.”

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Every level of government has kicked the can down the road. Fed to states. States to county. County to city.

"I'm looking for the least possible amount of responsibility." - Lester

Burnham

No offense Uncle Buck, but you look a lot like Chris Christie.

Can I punch him in the face?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    This may have been posted already, but really good visualization of COVID-19 cases by state since June 1.
    https://dangoodspeed.com/covid/total-cases-since-june
    Thanks. Interesting that "red' states appear to have the most freedom per person, as measured by Covid infections.

Also the state-by-state-new-cases-by-date option is exactly the type of graphic I've been looking for. state-by-state-new-cases-by-date shows how bad it is now. By playing the chart, the trend can be seen as well.

Talking so much regret about not wearing a mask, was Christie the super spreader?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Refreshing display of humility and acknowledging he made a mistake.

"I was wrong. I was wrong not to wear a mask at the Amy Coney Barrett announcement and I was wrong not to wear a mask at my multiple debate prep sessions with the president and the rest of the team.”

“I hope that my experience shows my fellow citizens that you should follow C.D.C. guidelines in public no matter where you are and wear a mask to protect yourself and others"

The virus is “something to take very seriously. The ramifications are wildly random and potentially deadly.”
    Wow, what a leader. Sort of like saying “I should have worn turnouts when I went into that burning building”.

No no wonder they can’t solve this problem they are high on their own supply.

Whole lot of backpedaling going on with politicains lately. It is better to ask for forgiveness than permission is their motto.

I'm not in a very forgiving mood. And whomever socialized the whole ask for forgiveness thing needs to be neck punched. What an awful way to run a society. This isn't 'Nam, there are rules.

A friends piece about the surge work:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.105...qaeMlA.twitter

There is a collective feeling of dread going into the next few months. It definitely hit me in Sept when I took a vacation and slowed down a bit.

I submitted a large grant earlier this fall and one of the reviewers critiqued my lack of ‘productivity’ since March. I am thinking of resubmitting the grant with a note on front saying ‘go fuck yourself’, but something tells me that won’t help my score.

Since this group seems to feel CNN is the best source of news and Europe is the model for all things in the world:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/16/europ...ntl/index.html

"Surge in Europe outstrips US
    Europe's tally of new cases in its five most-affected countries -- which together have a similar population to the US -- was nearly 42% greater than the increase in the US in the week to October 13.
    JHU's seven-day rolling average of new cases in the US stood at 49,542 on October 13, compared with an average daily rise rise of 70,158 in France, the UK, Russia, Spain and the Netherlands.
    The population of the five European countries is 343 million; the US population is 331 million."
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Since this group seems to feel CNN is the best source of news and Europe is the model for all things in the world:

Europe's tally of new cases in its five most-affected countries -- which together have a similar population to the US -- was nearly 42% greater than the increase in the US in the week to October 13.
    JHU's seven-day rolling average of new cases in the US stood at 49,542 on October 13, compared with an average daily rise rise of 70,158 in France, the UK, Russia, Spain and the Netherlands.
    The population of the five European countries is 343 million; the US population is 331 million."
    Yes, Europe is having problems too, but it seems strange to cherry pick those five countries. And has a single person here said CNN is the best source of news?

just look at the worldometer site

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

you can't really tell who sucks by looking at total dead so this ^^tells you deaths per million pop and all kinds of relevant stats and its updated every day
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    just look at the worldometer site

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

you can't really tell who sucks by looking at total dead so this ^^tells you deaths per million pop and all kinds of relevant stats and its updated every day
    We have the 2nd most recovered! Behind India! USA! USA!
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

only 82 deaths per milllion pop looks really good until you notice that India has almost 1.4 billion people

So that makes 112,000 people dead, 3rd in total deaths behind the USA & Brazil

Actualy America isnt the worst of the worst
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Shit's getting real.

"Pubs, central to cultural life in Northern Ireland, close to control covid-19"

This little slice of paradise has been the most infectious place on earth for awhile now, by a wide margin.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	130120141223-europe-budget-ski-andorra-1-horizontal-large-gallery.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	197.8 KB 
ID:	343667

3,377 of 77,301 population have it (4% vs 2.5% in US). 808 new a day per 100,000 in last 7 days.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post

There is a collective feeling of dread going into the next few months. It definitely hit me in Sept when I took a vacation and slowed down a bit.

I submitted a large grant earlier this fall and one of the reviewers critiqued my lack of ‘productivity’ since March. I am thinking of resubmitting the grant with a note on front saying ‘go fuck yourself’, but something tells me that won’t help my score.
    Jack Nicklaus said that he had never missed a short putt that mattered. Which of course was not true--he just didn't remember them, which is one of the things that made him great. I think the same thing applies to doctors--sort of. Doctors need to remember mistakes intellectually, for obvious reasons. They need to be able to forget them emotionally, or they either burn out, become insensitive to patients and co-workers, or in the case of at least one young ER doc, kill themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    To be fair, Trump did declare himself a wartime president at one point and then changed his mind when that didn't seem to work politically. So that's kind of a change. First wartime president to surrender!
    He will take any stance or declare himself whatever is politically convenient at any time. Who needs consistency when you can just deny that you said something yesterday and your base will lap it up?

Case in point, did any of you know that Trump is a great environmentalist? The greatest, actually. https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...rtan-dhp-feeds

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetolini
    Who would have thought Trump is the great environmentalist? And I am. I am. I believe strongly in it.

Quote Originally Posted by CantDog View Post

You should insert the words, "Please" and "Thanks". That should help your cause greatly.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

'Please go fuck yourself. Thanks.'

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post

New Zealand would be a good model.

CNN is just one of the ones I have bookmarked and has relevant news. I also have WaPo, my local CBS station, CBC news, and the Guardian bookmarked.

This is old news now, but why was the Amy Coney Barrett event at the White House allowed to take place last month? Over 150 people attended, many of whom were not wearing masks or socially distancing. In fact many people were hugging, shaking hands, etc. and, as we know, it became a superspreader event. Washington D.C. currently requires face masks and specifically prohibits gatherings of over 50 people. See: https://coronavirus.dc.gov/sites/def....29.FINAL_.pdf
    and https://coronavirus.dc.gov/sites/def..._Coverings.pdf

It's disgusting this event was allowed to take place and it really shows the lack of leadership coming from the top.