Page 843 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 838 839 840 841 842 843 844 845 846 847 848 ... LastLast
Results 21,051 to 21,075 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My vet told me that the running joke is that vets can finally focus on the type of patients that drew them to be vets instead of human doctors.
    We finally found a way to keep those anthropomorphizing idiots in the parking lot!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    heh, yep. it's only a matter of time. How's your Mandarin?
    About as good as everyone else in the entire world outside of China.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Potentially, unless we get our spending under control.

So yeah we're fucking sunk.
    Or better yet, get the Uber rich to put back the money, using historical taxation rates, that they have extracted from the economy.

What a great idea! It's this kind of forward thinking that has been the hallmark of our government's leadership for the past four years. #cocksucker

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-24 at 3.45.23 PM.png
Views: 390
Size:  88.7 KB

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Or better yet, get the Uber rich to put back the money, using historical taxation rates, that they have extracted from the economy.

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    The truth has been in front of your nose the entire time, but to quote a famous movie line "you can't handle the truth" because that might involve modifying your own behavior or world view and so after ignoring it for years you want to put faith in an alternate reality of your own creation.

We are a reactionary society, not a proactive society. We seek cures to problems we create instead of putting effort into their prevention. We value the dollar over the value of human decency. Maybe it's time to wake up to the fact that there is no "them", there is only us. No one is coming to save you but you and your own actions.

I agree with a lot of this. I have modified my world view after finding what I think the truth really is, but I am not ignoring anything and havent created my own reality. I just think questioning authority is a good thing and shows the ability for someone to think for themselves.

But to say there is no them, only us, fails to recognize that the common man, especially the poor, are being left behind/oppressed/shat on in so many ways. To me, the "them" are the corrupt politicians and corporate overlords that make money while harming the health of "us". Dont lump me in with the greedy that value the dollar over the value of human decency. Yes, I am part of that society, but I do my best to not have my behavior and decisions feed into that way of thinking.
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

1 mile from N. America's biggest chairlift
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Seriously, when did you first click this thread? Be honest, you're among friends here.
    I clicked in once lockdown started--the week of March 16th and read just about all posts until beginning of June. Been enjoying bikes and summer for a bit so I have been off the thread for the last 3 weeks until now.
    Rocket Sleds and Super Space Boots

A scientifically unsupportable suggestion from a pseudoexpert--hiking on narrow trails when unable to adequately distance, consider breathing through your nose. Better innate immunity in the nose than in the mouth, and the nostrils direct exhale air down instead of out. I am serious but can't give any evidence that it makes a difference. But it would be reassuring if it turned out that the virus preferentially infects mouth breathers.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    But it would be reassuring if it turned out that the virus preferentially infects mouth breathers.
    Sure seems to be doing that right now.......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A scientifically unsupportable suggestion from a pseudoexpert--hiking on narrow trails when unable to adequately distance, consider breathing through your nose. Better innate immunity in the nose than in the mouth, and the nostrils direct exhale air down instead of out. I am serious but can't give any evidence that it makes a difference. But it would be reassuring if it turned out that the virus preferentially infects mouth breathers.
    I haven't trimmed my nose hairs in months in hopes the virus can't get past dense forests.

Name:  1adypp.jpg
Views: 3991
Size:  51.1 KB

Your mouth is your religion, you put your faith in a hole like that? (thanks Frank)

And on additional benefits of prophylactic sneezing,

https://www.cell.com/cell/pdf/S0092-...showall%3Dtrue

A lot to wade thru, but “These findings high- light the nasal susceptibility to SARS-CoV-2 with likely subsequent aspiration-mediated virus seeding to the lung in SARS-CoV-2 pathogenesis. These reagents provide a foundation for investigations into virus-host in- teractions in protective immunity, host susceptibility, and virus pathogenesis.”

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Yes, about a month ago.
    So what is the EU doing that we aren’t? Social distancing and wearing masks way better than us as a whole? Or other things?

People of color won't be required to wear masks in an Oregon county,

GOP senator from Florida: "Everyone should just wear a damn mask"

Republican Sen. Marco Rubio said today that "everyone should just wear a damn mask, like you guys are, like I am right now."

He made the comments as he left a GOP lunch where Vice President Mike Pence provided a coronavirus update.

Rubio said he also encouraged his Republican colleagues during lunch to wear a mask.

“It's a respiratory virus that spreads from person to person and the more people you come in contact with in an unprotected setting the likelier you are to be infected by it,” he added.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    It's better done peacefully through legislation than by other means when the masses get hungry enough. That hasn't historically gone well for anybody.

Florida and Texas reporting over 5k today. What a disaster reopening has been.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Florida and Texas reporting over 5k today. What a disaster reopening has been.
    Did anyone think it wasn't going to be a disaster?

Based on what I am seeing when I head out of the house for supplies, even in little old Oregon, is a cause for concern. I can only imagine what it looks like in Florida and Texas with regard to the lack of social distancing, no masks, going out to eat, where I dare say there is a higher percentage of the population that subscribes to things like: a basic disregard for this being real\it's just the flu\it is all just fake news\it's not bad, we are just testing more...

Seriously what the fuck is wrong with Florida????
    https://twitter.com/radiofreetom/sta...148402693?s=21

Did the tri-state really "beat the virus" by mask wearing, physical distancing, etc.. Or build up a herd immunity while a thousand people were dying per day?

We, in Arizona for example, followed much of the same precautions (sans masks) as the northeast for nearly 3 months. Now we're a hotspot state and IMO its undeniably directly connected to opening everything cold turkey at the beginning of June. You want to know how not to open up your state, look no farther than AZ. At least people are wearing masks now.

Do the governors of NJ, NY, and CT really think they aren't going to have the same resurgence in their states after they open shit up? Not to mention if you're going to slap an imaginary quarantine requirement on hot spot states to make your shit stink a bit less you might as well follow through and apply it to all states, because if you're going to come up with a completely unenforceable statute why the fuck not apply it to every state.

Guess what, the writing is already on the wall for round 2 in NJ and NY based on what I'm seeing on social media.

I'm not sure anyone really understands the discrepancies between various states and various countries. But we have to assume it's masks, distancing, gatherings, etc etc until proven otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by puma View Post
    Did anyone think it wasn't going to be a disaster?

Based on what I am seeing when I head out of the house for supplies, even in little old Oregon, is a cause for concern. I can only imagine what it looks like in Florida and Texas with regard to the lack of social distancing, no masks, going out to eat, where I dare say there is a higher percentage of the population that subscribes to things like: a basic disregard for this being real\it's just the flu\it is all just fake news\it's not bad, we are just testing more...
    I was hoping they'd succeed. Maybe between summer, masks, contact tracing, and not too many ill-advised gatherings, that would be enough to slowly decrease prevalence (keep R under 1). You know, discover how to have our cake and eat it too. I expected failure, but did hope for success.

This is going to be tough. Santa Clara County, CA is one of the original hotspots, and after initially knocking down cases substantially, they are on the rise again, 4x the low point a month ago, recently a new peak. Theoretically, maybe, they've gotten better at contact tracing and finding the cases, though there's been no announcement. Friend of a friend was tested with symptoms last week, still no results, and no apparent effort to trace. This is west coast liberal land, lots of WFH, masks required and worn inside, etc., so it's not only the Trump derangement causing spread.

It seems the US’s effort to contact trace is laughable. Is it working in the EU?

There are plenty of people in CA not taking things seriously. Come out to the beach in my neighborhood and you'll see it. Its a destination and people come out here by the carload to hang out. It was a problem when the beaches were closed and an even bigger problem now that they're open. No masks, no social distancing. It's not their neighborhood, and they don't give a shit. Its the same sort of crowd that comes out to party and trashes the beaches on 4th of July and other holidays. Contrast that with locals walking around outside the core tourist area and almost everyone has a mask on them for when they go into businesses, and there is 100% compliance among employees of stores and restaurants.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Seriously what the fuck is wrong with Florida????
    https://twitter.com/radiofreetom/sta...148402693?s=21
    My favorite comment: "Mitch McConnell will make her a judge."

Can Colorado enact a 14 day quarantine on Texans as well? crested Butte was chock full of new Suburbans with Texas plates.