Page 825 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 ... LastLast
Results 20,601 to 20,625 of 41810

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Rumor mill is bars and restaurants here are going to start closing down again. Even with the uptick in cases it’s like nothing is even going on here.

Have a flight booked to go home over the 4th (my biannual get to see the family trip) that’s looking more and more like I’m going to pull the plug on. I think I know what the responsible thing to do is but it fucking sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I knew I forgot something. Thanks.
    The graph in this article shows the percentage of positive tests falling as the total number of tests rises and the percent positive falls while the total number of positives stays about the same.. 2 ways to interpret. 1) the initial testing was focused on the likely positives and caught most of them, the increased testing has meant testing people who probably don't have the disease. 2) the initial testing missed a lot of cases. The percent of cases that are caught by testing has now increased, giving the false impression that the total number of cases is the same.
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states
    Since the number of new cases per day is increasing while the number of new deaths per day is constant, more or less, i think it means that we are discovering more cases, but mild ones that do but result in deaths.
    Maybe

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    In essence, yeah. I mean since high dose steroids are cheap and easy, and often considered standard in patients with ARDS (acute respiratory distress syndrome), I would be surprised if most critically ill patients worldwide with SARS CoV2 DON'T get hit with at least a slug of 'em. At least based anecdotally on our institutional experience.

So high dose steroids like dex are baked into the death statistics already, and likely have been for awhile.

Not so fascinating when you have a buncha rightwing trolls endlessly and mindlessly chanting "It's no worse than the flu" on teh TRGs. Wouldn't it be great if deeb or rod or the dipshit wanker could be compelled to volunteer as orderlies on a COVID19 ward for a week or so and see if they still feel the same afterwards. But they're just fucking cowards is all, all interwebz puffery and no substance.

Not so bad if the thot is hot.
    Hey, i never said it's not worse than the flu.
    I actually think it's pretty bad, and that we'll have to deal with it for a long time, at least in the us.

Other countries have done much better in containing it.

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Went out for first meal yesterday. We took a road wander for wife’s birthday. Sat outside and all the tables had good distance. None of the customers wore masks. Waitress did and wore one use gloves when she brought the food. Hand sanitizer on way out. Felt reasonably safe.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Went out for first meal yesterday. We took a road wander for wife’s birthday. Sat outside and all the tables had good distance. None of the customers wore masks. Waitress did and wore one use gloves when she brought the food. Hand sanitizer on way out. Felt reasonably safe.
    Same. Felt good to be somewhat normal.

Felt in no way unsafe or risky. And restaurants need that money.

Back home they’re installing tents with sides. How the fuck is that different than indoors with tables spaced out?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    AZ is the worst. Assume 1% of population as an arbitrary threshold for when things get interesting (several states are at this level, NY and NJ close to 2%). AZ has 2-3 weeks before they get there, less if cases accelerate, more if they slow. FL, NC, TX all have a month, maybe more.

There's plenty of time to change course, and even some time to wait to see what happens. Actually, given the delay between infection and diagnosed case, AZ doesn't have much time to act. A reasonable number for the delay is 2 weeks. Now would be a prudent time to change course. Or hope and pray, that sometimes works.

alias_rice - wishing your family good health
    The AZ governor said yesterday there will be no change in course (after AZ recorded it’s worse day in the pandemic).

Three restaurants with positive employees in the last two days here.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Three restaurants with positive employees in the last two days here.
    But I thought temperature checks and questionnaires made us all safe?

https://mobile.twitter.com/news6wkmg...49034581532672

UPDATED INFO | Gov. Ron DeSantis said 260 workers at the Orlando International Airport have tested positive for the coronavirus after nearly 500 employees were tested.

Quote Originally Posted by TG View Post

UPDATED INFO | Gov. Ron DeSantis said 260 workers at the Orlando International Airport have tested positive for the coronavirus after nearly 500 employees were tested.
    Ouch!

Not what it seems. Here's a correction.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-06-17 at 11.30.23 AM.png
Views: 3436
Size:  292.6 KB

damn, should have known better than to trust anything coming from DeSantis.

Couldn't decide if this should go here or in "Shit that Annoys You" but here it goes.....

Clint Didier is a fuckin' idiot. He and his fellow council members have been behaving as if the pandemic is a hoax refusing to play by the rules and now Tri-Cities (Benton-Franklin counties) is on par with King County when it was at its height of infections. It's so out of control there and in Yakima county that the Governor had to make a special trip east to have an in person talk with these mellon heads because they keep trying to apply for Phase 2 yet they do nothing to mitigate the spread of the virus.

After Inslee came down and gave a speech Didier filmed his own whine session re: "how are we going to get crops in?" "How are our people supposed to survive/earn a living?" Well Clint you idiot... ag has never been restricted. You just need to supply masks and hand washing and social distancing and if you're so concerned about your citizens why haven't you been setting a good example and doing all you can to stop the spread rather than buck the system at every turn?

Idiot.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

But I thought temperature checks and questionaries made us all safe?

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    <snip> if you're so concerned about your citizens why haven't you been setting a good example and doing all you can to stop the spread rather than buck the system at every turn?
    Must have been in the same Leadership 101 course that Cheetolini took.

i.e. the one that nobody attended.

I cannot think of a disease that has as wide a difference between the mildest cases and the most severe as Covid 19, infectious or otherwise.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...940_story.html

I cannot think of a disease that has as wide a difference between the mildest cases and the most severe as Covid 19, infectious or otherwise.
    Just the other day I was telling a denier friend that the reason I wear a mask and don't have people over to my house is that I'm unwilling to spin the Covid Wheel of Fortune to see how mild or severe my case might be.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Paywall. Agree.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Paywall. Agree.
    Incognito mode.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

feline coronavirus?

curious if anyone has heard any updates on the status of PPE across the nation? you would like to think at this point, with all the resources and now time we've had, that healthcare professionals would have all the PPE they would need and more but my guess is that is not the case at all. certainly hope we are getting close to be able to support the front line workers who put themselves in danger each and every day.

Dengue fever has a massive spread as well, from asym/pauci-symptomatic to hemmorrhagic fever leading to death. Est 400 million infections each year leading to 100 million people getting actual sickness, mostly aches pains and mild fever, but kills 20,000 from severe disease and internal bleeding.

What's /scientifically/ fascinating about COVID-19 is how much variation there is in the disease symptoms for what was initially thought as a respiratory illness- intestinal tract, heart, eyes, brain, are also targets. The virus can attack cells of the vasculature and cause blood clots leading to amputation of extremities.

My take is mild disease is probably confined to the Upper Resp tract, lower inoculums, and underlying innate immunity.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I knew I forgot something. Thanks.
    The graph in this article shows the percentage of positive tests falling as the total number of tests rises and the percent positive falls while the total number of positives stays about the same.. 2 ways to interpret. 1) the initial testing was focused on the likely positives and caught most of them, the increased testing has meant testing people who probably don't have the disease. 2) the initial testing missed a lot of cases. The percent of cases that are caught by testing has now increased, giving the false impression that the total number of cases is the same.
    https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/individual-states
    Ya, and initial testing missed a TON.

Ask anyone working ED or primary care an they'll tell you how many people they told "you probably have the Rona, but we can't test you unless you are hospital sick."

I actually have that unprocessed data... but don't have time to parse it nor a student to do it for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside View Post
    curious if anyone has heard any updates on the status of PPE across the nation? you would like to think at this point, with all the resources and now time we've had, that healthcare professionals would have all the PPE they would need and more but my guess is that is not the case at all. certainly hope we are getting close to be able to support the front line workers who put themselves in danger each and every day.
    Little bit easier to get droplet masks.
    Some intermittent glove shortages, but not bad.
    Gowns are still short but not as short.
    N95s are still allocated and in some cases backordered months.
    PAPRs and supplies are backordered for months, even if you are a big player.
    Hand Sanitizer products are tight but being fulfilled.
    Disinfecting products are on allocation and in some cases backorderd.
    Last edited by Summit; 06-17-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.