Page 1360 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1355 1356 1357 1358 1359 1360 1361 1362 1363 1364 1365 ... LastLast
Results 33,976 to 34,000 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    I can only imagine the process by which a fish out of water kicked the shit out that thief.
    The trick is to not hold on for dear life. It was 4 guys and I was impressed that they could even pick her up - 200+ pounds and slimy.

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Another place I used to go with giant fish--the Sinks of the Popo Agie River outside Lander WY--the river goes underground and remerges a few hundred yards downstream and there were monster trout in the pool where it emerges. Wonder if it's still like that--it's been a long time.

Yes, lots of big fish in a pool. Look at the last 25 secs of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcVwm_35I
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Yes, lots of big fish in a pool. Look at the last 25 secs of this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkZcVwm_35I
    Thanks for that. Memories. Maybe I can get back there some day. I love the Winds. I met Finis Mitchell, the grand old man of the Winds (Mt Mitchell named after him while he was still alive) near Cirque of the Towers when he was well into his 80's. He was with two ladies. Actually, where I met him was on the lower slopes of Mt. Mitchell.

BTW, no fishing allowed in that pool.

A question for the scientists. Given that the mRNA vaccines and J and J both work by inducing the cells to produce spike protein, why aren't their effectiveness more similar. My knowledge of the vaccines' technology/biology is limited to the lay press. I can think of some reasons--different adjuvants, different doses, J and J should have a second dose, different trial populations, different variants the trial populations were exposed to, or maybe some people are immune to the adenovirus that carries the spike protein gene in the J and J shot. Does anyone have a more professional opinion on this.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Since the economy went down the toilet, we just play blackjack for hookers now.
    Alternative currency
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Must be harder to stack than chips, but hey.
    Car trunks.

A question for the scientists. Given that the mRNA vaccines and J and J both work by inducing the cells to produce spike protein, why aren't their effectiveness more similar. My knowledge of the vaccines' technology/biology is limited to the lay press. I can think of some reasons--different adjuvants, different doses, J and J should have a second dose, different trial populations, different variants the trial populations were exposed to, or maybe some people are immune to the adenovirus that carries the spike protein gene in the J and J shot. Does anyone have a more professional opinion on this.
    J and J is an older technology. It uses 4G, and just doesn't have the bandwidth of the newer 5G. /s

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Thanks for that. Memories. Maybe I can get back there some day. I love the Winds. I met Finis Mitchell, the grand old man of the Winds (Mt Mitchell named after him while he was still alive) near Cirque of the Towers when he was well into his 80's. He was with two ladies. Actually, where I met him was on the lower slopes of Mt. Mitchell.

BTW, no fishing allowed in that pool.
    Yes, I know.

Still nice place to visit even if only on a video.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Just to add two more: Did the J&J use the same sample period from the time of the (first) shot? And definition of success?

How many people will get the J&J and jump on a plane the next day? Having a second shot well out on the calender probably has value that won't show up in studies.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

Covid AMA with Johns Hopkins epidemiologists
    https://old.reddit.com/r/science/com...idemiologists/

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Just to add two more: Did the J&J use the same sample period from the time of the (first) shot? And definition of success?

How many people will get the J&J and jump on a plane the next day? Having a second shot well out on the calender probably has value that won't show up in studies.
    J and J started measuring efficacy at 28 days. Moderna started at 6 weeks (2 weeks after dose 2). I haven't tried to find out how many people who got the J and J got Covid after 6 weeks--you'd probably have to have the raw data to figure that out.

The other thing I was wondering about was what theoretical scientific basis would explain why J and J only needs one dose and the mRNA's two. The only thing I can think of is that the mRNA doesn't last that long so the period in which the first shot is producing spike proteins is short. I would assume that adenovirus infection the J and J vaccine causes is replicating so spike protein is produced for longer. This is a semi-educated guess, not based on anything I've read.
    I don't know if the decisions on dosing were based on scientific theory or on empirical data from animal and human studies. Or both.

Texas ends statewide mask mandate, all businesses to open with no restrictions effective today......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Texas ends statewide mask mandate, all businesses to open with no restrictions effective today......
    Isn't it effective next Wednesday? I mean...either way....WTF?
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Isn't it effective next Wednesday? I mean...either way....WTF?
    Correct, my bad, and indeed wtf.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Fucking Texas. Well, at least maybe this will get them to go home.

After Spring Break it will all be coming to a home near you.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Or during spring break in my case. Can we ban people from Texas from traveling to CO?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Or during spring break in my case. Can we ban people from Texas from traveling to CO?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I think they absolutely should be. Or be forced to have a negative CV test to enter. What a fucking stupid state Texass is.

Quote Originally Posted by bigdude2468 View Post
    No reference made to a weekly count, average deaths per day.

Guess what, WI reported zero deaths today. I can just about guarantee that tomorrow the deaths will be 30 plus because they don't get reported accurately on weekends. Coroners will get them out today and they will show up tomorrow.
    I have to apologize, I predicted that WI would report 30 deaths today after the last three days of 5, 0 & 0 and I was wrong, they reported 28.

Hospitalizations continue to decline, have to go back to mid July to have fewer patients in the hospital. ICU patients also down, July 1st is the date that there were fewer in the ICU's. Aother number that WI tracks (not sure why) is the number of patients in the hospital that are awaiting results of a covid test. Today that number was 23 which is the lowest it has been since mid June when I started tracking WI stats.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    They just can’t stop fucking themselves over can they?

It's not just them. A lot are heading to Colorado high country for Spring break. Good luck.

I just read this thought. Fascinating.

"To better appreciate the engineering systems that have sustained us through this starter pandemic, imagine if the new coronavirus had appeared in the 1990s at a similar scale and lethality. No broadband connectivity, no remote work, no videoconferencing, no telehealth, no streaming entertainment, no contactless transaction, no online classes, no express deliveries, and no real-time trading. The health and economic consequences may well have been far worse."

https://issues.org/engineering-mars-...guru-madhavan/

Yeah but no civil war then so we'd have had a more unified approach
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

I’m seeing arguments that the various lockdowns and restrictions did not help reduce mortality. Is there published material looking at previous forecasts to see how we performed in the US? I remember the U of W forecasters often had projections with various forms of mitigation in place, are these archived?

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’m seeing arguments that the various lockdowns and restrictions did not help reduce mortality.
    There was a European paper cited here a while back used by some to make the argument restrictions had no effect on mortality. What they either failed to understand or willfully misrepresented is restrictions had no effect on the infection mortality rate. The study did not say restrictions didn't reduce cases, it said the opposite. Rate ≠ total cases. Restrictions, distancing, masks, etc., reduce the incidence of infection which also reduces the death toll.

Early in the pandemic a lot people said all we have to do is protect old people and everything would be fine. That's what Sweden tried to do. It didn't work. Restrictions didn't change the fact older people experienced higher death rates.

One thing that is true is the policies only had modest effects because most people made the choice to stay home on their own, chose to wear masks on their own. The policies lagged what people were already doing. Studies show those choices cut the number of coronavirus cases at least in half — there would have been twice as many cases — drastically reducing the number of hospital admissions and deaths.

Good article from the New Yorker about disparities in infection rates and death rates around the world--surprisingly low in Africa except for South Africa, and very high infection rate but low death rate in India, for example. Various explanations discussed.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...er-than-others