Page 901 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 896 897 898 899 900 901 902 903 904 905 906 ... LastLast
Results 22,501 to 22,525 of 41810
    If this is too political I will delete it and move it to the Pollyass Flu thread.

The Spanish Flu Pandemic caused worldwide changes to societies.
    https://www.bbc.com/future/article/2...e-20th-century

^^^ from well before anyone had heard of Corona.

I have to wonder who will use this Pandemic to further their agendas and also attempt to change the structures we have all taken for granted.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    I have to wonder who will use this Pandemic to further their agendas and also attempt to change the structures we have all taken for granted.
    Which is more my issue for kids. I'm much more worried about how things will get worse in the future, both because of Covid and the cultural and economic changes.

Also, quick show of hands from the boomers on here. How many of you grew up working on farms?

@KQ - I have a 3 and 5 year old. They need a reasonable amount of involvement during the day and both my wife and I have reasonably serious full time gigs. We've been switching out and working less, but as work for both of us heard up, there's a very real choice between being an ok parent (not good/great, that's out the window with a lot of this) or being an ok worker in an extremely competitive job market with potential layoffs on the horizon. Many are in worse boats.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Which is more my issue for kids. I'm much more worried about how things will get worse in the future, both because of Covid and the cultural and economic changes.

Also, quick show of hands from the boomers on here. How many of you grew up working on farms?

I still don’t understand why we need teachers to babysit during a pandemic. I realize it’s hard for people with kids at home but it’s hard for everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I still don’t understand why we need teachers to babysit during a pandemic. I realize it’s hard for people with kids at home but it’s hard for everyone.

Is it though? Is it the same for a single person? Or a couple with no kids? I think not. A good percentage of American families rely on 2 incomes to simply get by. Remove one of those salaries, things change fast. Not saying it isn't hard for the other group, but it's for sure different for them.

I don't consider public schools "babysitters", but we pay tax dollars to schools. The states need a plan that does not endanger teachers or kids.

To me this means heavy investment and training in remote learning. My kid had "assignments" when the shit hit the fan, but it was crap. The few Google meets they had sucked as they were complete chaos. No control. We have the tech for virtual classrooms. Kids sit at home with their camera and teacher teaches. Virtual whiteboards. "Raised hands" for questions and quizzes, etc. Essentially a "full" school day. None of this is rocket science.

I don't blame my local schools for the end of this year, but hell if they don't have something good in place for remote in September I'm going to start asking questions and making noise.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Breeding is not compulsory.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post

I grew up going to camp, going to my cousins' cottage on a lake. My father OTOH, spent his summers and weekends working in my grandfather's butcher shop. He did go to school, maybe that's why he never became President. (He couldn't get into college until after WWII, because of the Jewish quotas.)
    Like many, if not most of us, I spent my summers in college and med school working. Gardening, steel mill, and one summer I spent part of the time throwing hay bales onto a hay wagon--I could make 5 tiers back then, I don't think I could lift a bale off the ground now.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    My wife saw a strong correlation between IQ and mask wearing when she was at Wally World yesterday.
    Your wife may be on to something...

Here's the abstract of the original study from Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. Unfortunately behind a paywall, and I have to be at work to get the entire manuscript, but I'll look into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I don't blame my local schools for the end of this year, but hell if they don't have something good in place for remote in September I'm going to start asking questions and making noise.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Your wife may be on to something...

Here's the abstract of the original study from Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA. Unfortunately behind a paywall, and I have to be at work to get the entire manuscript, but I'll look into it.
    Wait till the trumptards read that headline. "Fake news, they are calling me dumb for standing up for muh rights"

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    We are about half way from when this thing kicked into gear and the election, and still longer before a possible new leadership direction can even just start. We are on our own. Take care of yourself and your peeps.

Thursday was the first day I was able to take what felt like a full lung breath since mid March. So that is hopeful.
    and even if we get a turnover in leadership it won't make a lot of difference with the sector of the public that think it's a hoax and refuse to implement what self-mitigation they can because now they will be REALLY mad as a wet hen and even more full of conspiracy theories.

Just got a text from a GF who is in Sisters, OR. She said the number of over 70s wearing their masks like feedbags around their chins so it doesn’t smear their lipstick is crazy.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    @KQ - I have a 3 and 5 year old. They need a reasonable amount of involvement during the day and both my wife and I have reasonably serious full time gigs. We've been switching out and working less, but as work for both of us heard up, there's a very real choice between being an ok parent (not good/great, that's out the window with a lot of this) or being an ok worker in an extremely competitive job market with potential layoffs on the horizon. Many are in worse boats.
    I'm sure regardless you are great parents. No one is 100% all the time and these are extrodinary times for everyone. I'm just saying it seems to me learning doesn't have to always take place in a school room on a schedule, allowances need to made for and by everyone and that kids and parents will come out of this fine if not better for slowing down, figuring out what really matters in life and learning that sometimes you've got to roll with the punches. When life gives you lemons.......

Hang in there. All that truly matters is that you and your children have each other. There are many who don't have that in the best of times.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    Yeah I know it won't make much difference, but if we just stay quiet we will have a generation of dullards.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Dump has some splaining to do: "How do you explain that you never wanted to actually do the work of conducting a train—and that you just wanted to wear the stupid hat?"
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Painful to read but spot on.

and even if we get a turnover in leadership it won't make a lot of difference with the sector of the public that think it's a hoax and refuse to implement what self-mitigation they can because now they will be REALLY mad as a wet hen and even more full of conspiracy theories.

Just got a text from a GF who is in Sisters, OR. She said the number of over 70s wearing their masks like feedbags around their chins so it doesn’t smear their lipstick is crazy.
    those masks are probably full of rotting food. I learned a long time ago not to wear sunglasses around my neck when I'm eating.

https://kutv.com/newsletter-daily/ut...ose-face-masks

If I see this shit it may get ugly.

People with no kids giving parenting advice is always cute.

Like the white guy who raises his fist in the air with the black guys.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    https://kutv.com/newsletter-daily/ut...ose-face-masks

If I see this shit it may get ugly.
    So bizarre that a bunch of Mormons are suddenly rebels.

I fear the anti vaxing thing becoming so prevalent with these people that we'll never reach a herd immunity if they don't vax, which they probably won't.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So bizarre that a bunch of Mormons are suddenly rebels.
    Walking the fine line between rebels and outcasts is how Mormons ended up in Utah in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    People with no kids giving parenting advice is always cute.

Like the white guy who raises his fist in the air with the black guys.

One might argue that people who haven't had kids are the most capable of giving parenting advice, given the amount of piss poor parenting I see.