Page 803 of 803 FirstFirst ... 798 799 800 801 802 803
Results 20,051 to 20,063 of 20063
  1. #20051
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    3,478
    Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    It identified just 300 positive cases, all of whom had no symptoms. The city found no infections among 1,174 close contacts of the people who tested positive, suggesting they were not spreading it easily to others.
    Any of the resident experts want to comment on the likelihood that these were not active infections that were detected? Also, is their testing that good at avoiding false positives?

    If this data can be believed it would make a really good strategy for the US (if we were fast and responsive and stuff).

  2. #20052
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    Slightly off route
    Posts
    67
    Not sure if posted already (hard to keep up), but this news gives me some hope:

    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/04/astr...s-vaccine.html


    From article -


    • AstraZeneca plans to distribute 1 billion doses of a coronavirus vaccine to low and middle-income countries, with 400 million available this year.
    • In addition, the U.S. and U.K. are set to be sent 400 million vaccine doses between them, starting in September.
    • The vaccine, named AZD1222, was originally developed by Oxford University in the U.K.

  3. #20053
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    41,232
    High altitude humans may be immune?

    https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/wor...=MSN_rss_brief

    Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

  4. #20054
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In the swamp
    Posts
    7,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    If the shit doesn't hit the fan in a few weeks after these protests, we're safe this summer.
    Yep. Between Mem Day, fairly quick reopening and the protests. We should know a lot in a few weeks.

  5. #20055
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    689
    From NY Times today:

    "On May 30, more new cases were reported in a single day worldwide than ever before: 134,064. The increase has been driven by emerging hot spots in Latin America, Africa, Asia and the Middle East."

    "The increases in some countries can be attributed to improved testing programs. But in many places, it appears that the virus has only now arrived with a wide scope and fatal force."

  6. #20056
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Ootarded
    Posts
    3,051
    Fascinating news on the med front, in that both Lancet and NEJM, two of the most respected clinical journals in the world, have retracted published articles on hydroxychloroquine vs. SARS CoV 2. This is due to the fact that, after being challenged, the primary data could not be verified, as it came from a private entity that was unwilling to reveal the full dataset (citing privacy concerns).

    Several of the authors themselves requested the retraction, stating that they "could no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources.” This is a big deal in the academic medical field, but just goes to show how crazy things are that such a staid backwater can get stirred up by the current crisis.

    I commented on the Lancet article earlier in this thread. Upshot is that the risk vs. benefit equation re: HCQ is back up in the air again. Preclinical (cell culture and animal) models seem to indicate it might be useful, some small and sloppy studies from France and China indicate a potential benefit, verdict is still out. My own feeling is that the signal, if any, is still pretty weak in terms of benefit but definitely a possibility. Risks are fairly well established.

    Also mentioned upthread, Vitamin D data is looking intruiging, and it is generally safe, at least when not taken in megadoses.

  7. #20057
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Bellevue
    Posts
    5,313
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Fascinating news on the med front, in that both Lancet and NEJM, two of the most respected clinical journals in the world, have retracted published articles on hydroxychloroquine vs. SARS CoV 2. This is due to the fact that, after being challenged, the primary data could not be verified, as it came from a private entity that was unwilling to reveal the full dataset (citing privacy concerns).

    Several of the authors themselves requested the retraction, stating that they "could no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources.” This is a big deal in the academic medical field, but just goes to show how crazy things are that such a staid backwater can get stirred up by the current crisis.

    I commented on the Lancet article earlier in this thread. Upshot is that the risk vs. benefit equation re: HCQ is back up in the air again. Preclinical (cell culture and animal) models seem to indicate it might be useful, some small and sloppy studies from France and China indicate a potential benefit, verdict is still out. My own feeling is that the signal, if any, is still pretty weak in terms of benefit but definitely a possibility. Risks are fairly well established.

    Also mentioned upthread, Vitamin D data is looking intruiging, and it is generally safe, at least when not taken in megadoses.
    I saw that. This concern from the open letter seems like a pretty unlikely situation:

    Data from Africa indicate that nearly 25% of all COVID-19 cases and 40% of all deaths in the continent occurred in Surgisphere-associated hospitals which had sophisticated electronic patient data recording, and patient monitoring able to detect and record ‘nonsustained [at least 6 secs] or sustained ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation.’ Both the numbers of cases and deaths, and the detailed data collection, seem unlikely.

  8. #20058
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    1,034
    Why wouldn't the majority of Covid victims be vitamin D deficient?
    They spend most of their days indoors in nursing homes with no sunlight.
    Their diets are probably deficient and their metabolisms wonky.
    It would be interesting to see how they adjusted for that in the studies.

  9. #20059
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South of 49
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    High altitude humans may be immune?

    https://www.bostonglobe.com/news/wor...=MSN_rss_brief
    They also might be socially distanced already.

  10. #20060
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    4,754
    I suppose I should move all the skis out of my kitchen.

  11. #20061
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    12,750
    Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    Fascinating news on the med front, in that both Lancet and NEJM, two of the most respected clinical journals in the world, have retracted published articles on hydroxychloroquine vs. SARS CoV 2. This is due to the fact that, after being challenged, the primary data could not be verified, as it came from a private entity that was unwilling to reveal the full dataset (citing privacy concerns).

    Several of the authors themselves requested the retraction, stating that they "could no longer vouch for the veracity of the primary data sources.” This is a big deal in the academic medical field, but just goes to show how crazy things are that such a staid backwater can get stirred up by the current crisis.

    I commented on the Lancet article earlier in this thread. Upshot is that the risk vs. benefit equation re: HCQ is back up in the air again. Preclinical (cell culture and animal) models seem to indicate it might be useful, some small and sloppy studies from France and China indicate a potential benefit, verdict is still out. My own feeling is that the signal, if any, is still pretty weak in terms of benefit but definitely a possibility. Risks are fairly well established.
    OTOH there's no decent study that shows it works, despite something like 158 studies undertaken or planned. Hard to talk about risk vs benefit when no one has demonstrated a benefit yet.

  12. #20062
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Watching over the valley
    Posts
    3,014
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    That's a pretty good read. We have an American virus alright. It's called trumpism.
    There you go. Full polyass.

    sent from Utah.
    sigless.

  13. #20063
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    5,905
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    OTOH there's no decent study that shows it works, despite something like 158 studies undertaken or planned. Hard to talk about risk vs benefit when no one has demonstrated a benefit yet.
    Yup. This came out around the same time as the retractions;

    https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2016638

    Clearly described, placebo controlled, randomized study shows that HCQ used after exposure to SARS-Cov2 does NOT work. We need to move on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •