Page 272 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 ... LastLast
Results 6,776 to 6,800 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    That reporter actually said he ‘lobbed him a softball’
    And Trump fucking choked.
    You'd think a 'Wartime President' like Trump could handle easy questions like this without blowing up.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    so sick of this saying
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    Where did she get the rubber strips? My Mom is a sewing savant. She's got everything but those elastic bands. She wants to start cranking these out. Trying to figure out where to get some of those bands. Thanks!
    She ordered the elastic from Amazon.

I'll let you guys know if she actually starts turning these out. I doubt she has time to make them in bulk, but who knows?

Best wishes Nutmeg

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    She ordered the elastic from Amazon.

I'll let you guys know if she actually starts turning these out. I doubt she has time to make them in bulk, but who knows?
    Thanks, doing some searching for local supply.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Your daily dose of sunshine ...

Attachment 321308

Attachment 321309
    Can someone generate a chart over time of the number of deaths as a % of cases. I bet it would show the reality of this hyper hysteria isn’t warranted.
    In gross numbers, the regular flu is still a bigger killer and nobody considers shutting down entire state economies to “ flatten the curve”.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Can someone generate a chart over time of the number of deaths as a % of cases. I bet it would show the reality of this hyper hysteria isn’t warranted.
    In gross numbers, the regular flu is still a bigger killer and nobody considers shutting down entire state economies to “ flatten the curve”.

You call ballpark Italy using these two graphs which has a unadjusted death rate of just over 8%.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 1.36.09 PM.png
Views: 540
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 1.36.18 PM.png
Views: 533
Size:  42.4 KB

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you comparing annual influenza deaths to projected annual death from CV19 because no one really know where CV19 will land. As a percentage of all infected CV19 is trending to just over 1% globally but that number is squishy due to undertesting. Influenza is traditionally 0.1% of all infected by comparison.

In gross numbers, the regular flu is still a bigger killer and nobody considers shutting down entire state economies to “ flatten the curve”
    Can you read a graph? This statement isn't going to be worth the powder to blow it in about a week's time. Come on, dude! You realize there's no vaccine for COVID-19, right?

Just out of curiosity - when was the last time local healthcare resources were overwhelmed by the regular flu and required triage for those newly arriving with the disease?

How's it spreading? My daughter, who works at the Post Office and is convinced she has the virus, is also convinced it's being spread by the mail. I just talked to her on the phone and she said no less than eight sick people were sorting mail this morning and coughing into their hands, then handling the mail. She wants to take time off but says the retaliation for doing so is brutal. She's one of the only carriers who wears gloves and she's so stressed out by all this shit - the fear of her and my five year old granson having the flu, threats of retaliation if she takes time off, all the assholes she works with passing it along on the mail. I spray my mail with a bleach solution and let it sit for a day before handling it with anything but gloved hands. Consider this is going on everywhere. As much as I'd like to go postal on the post office, I'm instead writing to the Postmaster General and doing my best to make Americans aware of this government sponsored flu spreading going on at the Post Office..

Lots of rumors circulating that WA state goes “shelter in place” this afternoon...

Hope it is indeed just a rumor

That'll get him fired when Trump sees it later on Faux news

Quote Originally Posted by bourbonisgood View Post
    Lots of rumors circulating that WA state goes “shelter in place” this afternoon...

Hope it is indeed just a rumor
    it doesn't seem much different than what we're already being asked to do in OR. Stay home, don't go out and congregate with a bunch of people, etc. Only things open are supermarkets, banks, gas stations, etc.

That said, I went to the supermarket and there were about 50-60 teenagers practicing Lax and football on the football field at the HS. The baseball field had a full on game going....so evidently some people are just not giving a fuck and doing whatever they want.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

You call ballpark Italy using these two graphs which has a unadjusted death rate of just over 8%.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 1.36.09 PM.png
Views: 540
Size:  60.7 KB

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-03-20 at 1.36.18 PM.png
Views: 533
Size:  42.4 KB

I'm not sure I understand your point. Are you comparing annual influenza deaths to projected annual death from CV19 because no one really know where CV19 will land. As a percentage of all infected CV19 is trending to just over 1% globally but that number is squishy due to undertesting. Influenza is traditionally 0.1% of all infected by comparison.
    Exactly, as more and more tests are done, cases numbers go up. Deaths are going up as well, but as more cases are found, the % deaths is going to go down. So, at what point do we decide to end the hysteria? 1%, 0.5% ?
    Just because everyone is sitting in their home watching Netflix next to a pile of tp, doesn’t make this virus go away. Just like the flu, Coronavirus is still going to be around.

Exactly, as more and more tests are done, cases numbers go up. Deaths are going up as well, but as more cases are found, the % deaths is going to go down. So, at what point do we decide to end the hysteria? 1%, 0.5% ?
    Just because everyone is sitting in their home watching Netflix next to a pile of tp, doesn’t make this virus go away. Just like the flu, Coronavirus is still going to be around.

Dude. Take a deep breath. S Korea is our biggest data set when it comes to testing NOT being the rate limiting factor. Their death rate landed around 0.8% which is still 8X the flu. Now tell me what an acceptable death rate is.

1%?
    5%?
    10%?

The whole point of distancing is to make sure that we can get as close to 0.8% as possible. The things that will prevent us from achieving this are NOT distancing and having all of the infections hit society at once. So I'll ask again ... what's an acceptable death rate?

1%?
    5%?
    10%?

I believe the goal now is to limit the number of cases so our HC facilities don't become overwhelmed. A do nothing approach, like you're suggesting, would result in massive cases bombarding the hospitals and overwhelming the limited resources we have.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

You do realize that it's incredibly simplistic to look at this only from a "how many deaths" perspective - in doing so you ignore the significant percentage of people (including people in your age demographic) that survive this only after being in an ICU bed on a ventilator for 1-2 weeks (at what I'm guessing is $15,000 a day on your bill) - and if they survive they likely have some degree of damage to their lungs (that part is still unknown I believe)

Also I am somewhat "immune" to the regular flu - because I have had it before and because I get vaccinated every year - doesn't mean I can't catch it at any time but the odds are lower that I will and if I do catch it I will likely have a milder case. And because most people around me are in the same boat we don't need to press halt on society just because, from a numbers standpoint, there are still lots of regular flu deaths per year.

You also realise that China and Italy also get the "regular" flu every year with plenty of deaths - do you feel that what they are going through is some sort of mass delusion?

flu is a known entity and estimates are 1/5 to 1/6 people got it this season, fatality rate <0.1%. Sars-CoV-2 is just as transmissible and possibly more, but as the outbreak is still in it's infancy we don't even have 1 seasons worth of infections to analyze yet. Global average for fatalities still holding between 1-2%, hopefully ending up closer to 1% or less. For those you you not familar with basic math that is at least 10-20X more deadly than Flu. Now let it run it's course of infection and become as widespred as flu in a population with no underlying immunity like we have to flu, and it's chaos for our healthcare system.

estimation of # tests run
    https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

graphs of # cases and deaths
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

272,000 cases world wide, 11,000 deaths. Also sorted by county. Almost 4% which is an overestimation which should come down with more testing #'s
    Move upside and let the man go through...

I wish I could have a separate COVID ignore list I could just delete when this is over which contains the otherwise awesome people saying absolutely unbelievably ignorant, rage-inducing shit.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    You do realize that it's incredibly simplistic to look at this only from a "how many deaths" perspective - in doing so you ignore the significant percentage of people (including people in your age demographic) that survive this only after being in an ICU bed on a ventilator for 1-2 weeks (at what I'm guessing is $15,000 a day on your bill) - and if they survive they likely have some degree of damage to their lungs (that part is still unknown I believe)
    Not only that, but we could still be in the early phases of this epidemic. No one knows what the final death tally will be, but at this point it's clear it's going to be a whole lot worse than the typical flu tally.

I just can't believe there are still people out there who aren't getting this.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post

Also I am somewhat "immune" to the regular flu - because I have had it before and because I get vaccinated every year - doesn't mean I can't catch it at any time but the odds are lower that I will and if I do catch it I will likely have a milder case. And because most people around me are in the same boat we don't need to press halt on society just because, from a numbers standpoint, there are still lots of regular flu deaths per year.

You also realise that China and Italy also get the "regular" flu every year with plenty of deaths - do you feel that what they are going through is some sort of mass delusion?
    the births of women pregnant during the Spanish Flu epidemic underperformed in almost all metrics throughout their lives.

Hope you recover quick, nutmeg.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    so sick of this saying
    Especially when it’s missing an apostrophe.

Nutmeg, hoping for a speedy recovery for you both.