Page 802 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 797 798 799 800 801 802 803 804 805 806 807 ... LastLast
Results 20,026 to 20,050 of 41810

Clearly no worse than the flu!

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Benny... Benny... Benny.... it's just the FLU!

LOL Evdog! I posted before I saw your post.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Bottom line: ABO blood group antigens are complex carbohydrates, and they change the landscape of natural anti-carbohydrate antibodies present at high levels in everybody’s blood. These antibodies play a key role in defense against against pathogens. Not sure how to leverage this information, but

Harnessing the natural anti-glycan immune response to limit the transmission of enveloped viruses such as SARS-CoV-2. PLOS PATHOGENS May 21 2020.

https://journals.plos.org/plospathog...type=printable

The A and B enzymes catalyze the transfer of an N-acetylgalactosamine and a galactose, respectively, in α1,3 linkage on a precursor structure called the H antigen, generating the corresponding A or B antigens. They are encoded by distinct alleles at the ABO locus. The O alleles are null alleles responsible for a lack of transferase, in which case the H antigen remains unchanged. O alleles in the homozygote state confer blood group O, which is characterized by a complete absence of A or B antigens [5]. Under stimulation by bacteria of the microbiota that present glycan motifs similar to either A or B antigens, blood group O people develop so-called “natural” anti-A and anti-B antibodies, whilst blood group A and B individuals develop either anti-B or anti-A antibodies, respectively [6]. Only people of the AB subgroup lack such antibodies. In humans, besides their expression on red blood cells, ABH antigens are widely expressed on many other cell types, including vascular endothelial cells and epithelial cells of many organs [7]. Importantly, the titers of anti-αGal, anti-NeuGc, and anti-A/B antibodies are highly variable between individuals, ranging from 100- to 1000-fold [8,9].

When enveloped viruses are produced by cells expressing these glycan epitopes, they can be effectively neutralized by anti-αGal or anti-A and anti-B antibodies as shown for several animal and human enveloped viruses (reviewed in[2]). Coronavirus S protein trimers are covered by an extensive glycan shield made of N-linked glycans that surrounds the receptor-binding domain [10]. The recently emerged SARS-CoV-2 responsible for COVID-19 shows overallconservation of the S protein glycosylation sites. The primary target organ of human coronaviruses, including both SARS and SARS-CoV-2, is the lung and both viruses use angiotensin converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) as receptor [11]. Being expressed on lung alveolar epithelial cells,chiefly type 2 pneumocytes, [12,13], it is to be expected that the glycosylation of SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV-2 should be similar.

Using a cellular experimental model, our group showed that the interaction between SARS-CoV S protein and ACE2 could be specifically blocked in a dose-dependent manner by anti-A blood group antibodies when the S protein was synthesized by cells that expressed the A histo-blood group antigen following transfection by the appropriate glycosyltransferases cDNA [14]. These observations suggested that, when produced in cells that express the A or B blood group enzymes, infectious SARS virions are decorated by the corresponding glycan antigens and that the presence of anti-A and anti-B antibodies in blood group O individuals could prevent infection by blocking virus attachment and entry.

Moreover, blood group O individuals were at a much lower risk of being infected than non-O individuals in a Hong Kong 2003 SARS hospital outbreak [15], and a similar trend has just been observed for COVID-19 in China [16]. Accordingly, blood group O individuals would be at a lesser risk of being infected than non-O individuals due to blocking of potential transmission events from either A, B, or AB individuals, providing anti-A or anti-B titers are of sufficient magnitude (Fig 1). Mathematical modeling of the consequences of this potentiallimitation of virus transmission suggested that the Hong Kong SARS hospital outbreak had been slowed down to some extent thanks to the ABO genetic polymorphism and the ensuing neutralizing anti-A and anti-B antibodies. It further indicated that if anti–blood group A and/or B titers had always been high, transmission of the virus, in the absence of any containmentmeasure, would be largely impaired and the outbreak slowed to a considerable extent [14].

We therefore hypothesize that as they are produced in cells coexpressing the ACE2 receptor and either the αGal, NeuGc, or A/B blood group antigens, both SARS-CoV and SARS-CoV2 harbor the corresponding glycan epitopes. Because of the natural immune response against these epitopes, the αGal and NeuGc xenoantigens would contribute to prevent cross-species transmissionfrom nonprimate mammals to humans, while A/B blood group antigens would contribute todecrease and slow between-human transmission. Nonetheless, owing to the presence of individuals with low anti-αGal titers, occasional cross-species transmission may occur. Interestingly, a recent genomic analysis across vertebrates revealed that two bats lineages, including Rhinopholusbats suspected to have originated the SARS-CoV-2 closest ancestor, lost their Cmah gene function, similar to humans [17]. The lack of NeuGc xenoantigen on the virions produced by thesebats might have facilitated cross-species transmission. Likewise, impairment of transmission bythe anti–blood group antibodies may not work to its full potential because of their variable titers in the population and of the high affinity of the SARS-CoV2 for ACE2 [18], rendering its neutralization more difficult. This leaves room to amplify these innate mechanisms of protection in preparation for the next emergence and mitigation of the virus impact once emergence has occurred.

If the antibody blocking effect can be documented in vitro, and possibly in vivo, it will become important to consider raising the anti-αGal, as well as the anti-A and anti-B antibodies titers in human populations. That could be achieved as previously described either by immunizing against inactivated harmless bacteria that harbor the αGal, A, and B epitopes or by immunizing against the corresponding synthetic oligosaccharides linked to an immunogenic scaffold [19,20]. Raising the anti-A and anti-B titers in the whole population carries the risk of complicating incompatible platelet transfusion as well as increasing the risk of hemolytic disease of the newborn in case of mother–infant ABO incompatibility. These issues should becarefully dealt with. Raising the anti-NeuGc titers might be more problematic since meat and dairy products consumption allows incorporation of NeuGc onto human glycans, and this may contribute to the promotion of inflammation and cancer progression as experimentally demonstrated [3,21].

By contrast, raising the anti-αGal titers should not carry any risk since the antigen is entirely absent from human tissues. Blood groups A and B might also be harnessed to increase the efficacy of SARS-CoV-2 vaccines. Indeed, the virus spike proteins, which are the main target of currently designed vaccines, might be produced in cells that are enzymatically equipped to synthetize A and B antigens so that the vaccine glycoprotein will carry these epitopes. In addition to generating neutralizing anti-S protein, the vaccine would stimulate anti-A and anti-B responses that may contribute to the vaccine efficacy in all cases of ABO incompatible transmissions.

In conclusion, we propose to enhance the innate anti-viral protection conferred by natural anti-glycan antibodies in order to lower both the risk of emergence of coronaviruses, or other enveloped viruses, from a nonprimate mammalian species and the risk of transmission withinthe human population. This could add-up to other protection and containment measures, mitigating the impact of the epidemic.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Harnessing the natural anti-glycan immune response to limit the transmission of enveloped viruses such as SARS-CoV-2. PLOS PATHOGENS May 21 2020.

https://journals.plos.org/plospathog...type=printable
    Nice. More evidence. I'd like to think that the likes of Regeneron are smart enough to know and have investigated this with their antibody programs.

Anyone know Trump's blood type? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    I've heard it's O neg
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

What blood type does a vampire have?

Ice cold.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I'd expect better from the Atlantic, and from American medicine. A lot of these people, including the article's index case, have never been tested. A lot have tested negative. Maybe they had Covid 19, maybe they didn't. Maybe--and this is far fetched--there's another virus around. At the very least every one of them should be tested--if they still have virus in their nasopharynx they certainly shouldn't be out of the house. It's critical to know if those with persistent symptoms are still shedding virus. It would also be good to know from a scientific standpoint if persistent symptoms represent persistent infection or not. It would be good to have a medical database of these folks. If the problem is the antibody response after the infection is cleared that would be very worrisome as far as the safety of a vaccine.

lizard people only have 1
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Sitting eating lunch in downtown SLC while waiting on my wife's dr appt (no visitors), and a group of 8 guys walks in for a business lunch, then proceeds to have a fucking 8 way handshake. We are so fucked as a species.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    Sitting eating lunch in downtown SLC while waiting on my wife's dr appt (no visitors), and a group of 8 guys walks in for a business lunch, then proceeds to have a fucking 8 way handshake. We are so fucked as a species.
    Today at my work a family of four came in a proceeded to touch everything they could including the masks we sell. Small kid touching and coughing on stuff while the fat fuck parents said nothing. I had to ask the 9 year old to back up while I explained stuff. I addressed the child but the dad was way too close as well. I have an 8 year old and my partner has kids so I know it's not impossible to get them to understand not touching things and keeping your distance. Fuck this country.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    Today at my work a family of four came in a proceeded to touch everything they could including the masks we sell. Small kid touching and coughing on stuff while the fat fuck parents said nothing. I had to ask the 9 year old to back up while I explained stuff. I addressed the child but the dad was way too close as well. I have an 8 year old and my partner has kids so I know it's not impossible to get them to understand not touching things and keeping your distance. Fuck this country.
    well, this country is already fucked; so we are goo there; but if that is your overall feeling; you can move out of it.

always interesting the disdain some have for the place but stay in it; many live like kings in costa rica for the average expenses here.
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

"if you don't like it you can leave". The rally cry of the uninspired and hopeless

hey thats ^^ my line for when people fail to appreciate my american jokes

it seems to be ok if they say them

and mine are funnier
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    There has been a bit of spike lately here in UT. Starting this week I've seen a lot of back-to-normal outings.

Name:  happythoughts.png
Views: 1397
Size:  35.4 KB

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    There has been a bit of spike lately here in UT. Starting this week I've seen a lot of back-to-normal outings.

Name:  happythoughts.png
Views: 1397
Size:  35.4 KB
    Utah is a week out from crazy numbers and out of control exponential growth. Its too late now.

But dont worry, everything is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    "if you don't like it you can leave". The rally cry of the uninspired and hopeless
    or the beneficiaries of a fucked up system that don't have the decency to want to fix it
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    or the beneficiaries of a fucked up system that don't have the decency to want to fix it
    Zing.

So how does a +65yo A+ male increase their antibodies?

Rocky Road

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    So how does a +65yo A+ male increase their antibodies?
    lots of unprotected sex

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Rocky Road
    Ragu?