Page 1627 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1622 1623 1624 1625 1626 1627 1628 1629 1630 1631 1632 ... LastLast
Results 40,651 to 40,675 of 41810
    Thank dog for a stocked pantry and people willing to bring food to my door.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

My wife's got a bad headache.. going on day 2. This is how it started last time she had the rona. Testing tomorrow if it's still hanging around..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Headache was my main symptom with my bought in September.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bout time to test I reckon…

Whelp, her headache is gone and nobody else in the household has had anything resembling symptoms. Chalking it up to a sinus headache from allergies. Back to business as usual..

She just wasn't in the mood

So, CDC guidance on covid seems to encourage you NOT to test once you have it. Because using their tool I am supposed to be free to go out and about today with a mask, but elsewhere on their site, it says if you test positive you need to stay home. Which just means "pssst, don't test again and you can go out". Which is fucked.

And of course many people test positive for a while. And googling seems to say that there is no answer to "does that mean you're still infectious"; you might, you might not. So I am a little at a loss.

Here's a concrete question: I understand (vaguely) the difference between PCR and at-home antigen test, and that the PCR test may show positive BEFORE the antigen test does. But does it work the same in reverse at the end of infection, can the PCR show negative while the antigen is still positive? Or is the antigen test always going to be the smaller date range?

I'm just trying to figure out when I get my "get out of jail" card and when my daughter can come back to my house.
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    So, CDC guidance on covid seems to encourage you NOT to test once you have it. Because using their tool I am supposed to be free to go out and about today with a mask, but elsewhere on their site, it says if you test positive you need to stay home. Which just means "pssst, don't test again and you can go out". Which is fucked.

And of course many people test positive for a while. And googling seems to say that there is no answer to "does that mean you're still infectious"; you might, you might not. So I am a little at a loss.

Here's a concrete question: I understand (vaguely) the difference between PCR and at-home antigen test, and that the PCR test may show positive BEFORE the antigen test does. But does it work the same in reverse at the end of infection, can the PCR show negative while the antigen is still positive? Or is the antigen test always going to be the smaller date range?

I'm just trying to figure out when I get my "get out of jail" card and when my daughter can come back to my house.
    PCR is more likely to continue to be positive after you are no longer infectious than is antigen. If you want to do test based clearance, antigen is the only acceptable tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Thanks. But based on the CDC, I should just stop testing, because then I can hit my 10 days and be good to go. Or I can keep testing, and keep extending my quarantine/isolation.

Am I missing something?

Thanks. But based on the CDC, I should just stop testing, because then I can hit my 10 days and be good to go. Or I can keep testing, and keep extending my quarantine/isolation.

Am I missing something?
    In general, non-immunocompromised adults with no fever for 24hr w/o meds, and general improvement:
    5 days iso and then you could go out with a mask for the next 5 days.
    You could also, if you like, take an antigen test on day 7/8/9/10 to decide whether to stay in (or keep wearing a mask)... or if negative, get rid of the mask early.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

so, in your view, those day 7/8/9/whatever tests shouldn't dictate anything other than if negative you can ditch the mask? They shouldn't be treated as reason to extend quarantine?

Woke up feeling crusty and tested positive this morning. I’m locked in the basement hoping not to infect the rest of the family.
    I was hoping to avoid a second go around but here I am.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Am I missing something?
    That’s sweet, someone still listens to CDC.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

so, in your view, those day 7/8/9/whatever tests shouldn't dictate anything other than if negative you can ditch the mask? They shouldn't be treated as reason to extend quarantine?
    There have been some published papers from earlier variants that correlate a negative antigen test after infection to match when an individual is no longer shedding live virus. What is not well known is how much live virus you will need to shed (exhale) to infect somebody else.

Sounds like you’re feeling better.

Did you take paxvolid? “Rebound” is definitely a thing, where you test neg after paxvolid and then test positive again several days later. The CDC director is currently experiencing this phenomena.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    That’s sweet, someone still listens to CDC.
    Well, what the hell am I supposed to do? Especially when I have to navigate this shit with a co-parent.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    There have been some published papers from earlier variants that correlate a negative antigen test after infection to match when an individual is no longer shedding live virus. What is not well known is how much live virus you will need to shed (exhale) to infect somebody else.

Sounds like you’re feeling better.

Did you take paxvolid? “Rebound” is definitely a thing, where you test neg after paxvolid and then test positive again several days later. The CDC director is currently experiencing this phenomena.
    I read some of that (not the research but articles about it, like this one). And it's more than "how much live virus you will need to shed (exhale) to infect somebody else", it's also not clear if the actual live virus you are shedding is of the type that could infect someone.

A positive antigen test could essentially be picking up leftover viral "garbage," which can include "dead viruses, mangled viruses ... viruses that are 90% packed together but not really going to work," says Baird. And the amount can vary depending on each person's immune system, the variants, the stage of the infection, and so on.
    I did not take paxvolid. And I am like 90-95% right now.

I thought one needed two negative antigen tests, 24-36 hrs apart for test based clearance. Not just one test, in case it was a false negative.

Quote Originally Posted by riser4 View Post
    I thought one needed two negative antigen tests, 24-36 hrs apart for test based clearance. Not just one test, in case it was a false negative.
    You may be right. But the CDC says you don't need to test so what's the point.

riser’s right. 2 spaced negative RAT is the method professed. Test to exit is the method publicly followed by the prez, his spouse, Fauci, (currently) the cdc director….

That npr piece cites the most recent study that I’m aware of. There was at least one other study on May: https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....24.22275326v1

The cdc’s guidance is not based on observation and evidence. My understanding is that it’s based on averages and statistics generated in December. The goal, apparently, is to get people back to work with slightly minimized potential that they won’t infect others.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    The cdc’s guidance is not based on observation and evidence. My understanding is that it’s based on averages and statistics generated in December. The goal, apparently, is to get people back to work with slightly minimized potential that they won’t infect others.
    That's my understanding too. Add a few days or keep NPIs or both, if you want to tip the statistics more in your favor. "CDC says I'm safe, but I'm doing this to be extra safe." One of the maggots upthread reported infecting their spouse after 10 (or 14?) days.

I'd wait two weeks for someone who doesn't want to catch it; I'm extra cautious. Assuming the kid is in school, the CDC guidance is probably good enough (likely better than some other parents are doing). They're gonna catch it (again) somewhere eventually.

Our whole family tested positive 2 weeks after the first positive antigen. Who knows when the contagious window actually ended, but 5 days is likely wishful thinking for almost everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Our whole family tested positive 2 weeks after the first positive antigen. Who knows when the contagious window actually ended, but 5 days is likely wishful thinking for almost everyone.
    Well it's actually 10 days to go mask free but I'm pretty sure I got it after wife's day 10 when I took off my N95 .. when the health department said we should be safe to do so.. 5 days after the N95 came off in the house I lost my sense of smell... Hadn't been out and about without a mask anywhere else..

You may be right. But the CDC says you don't need to test so what's the point.
    My point wasn't that you should or shouldn't test for clearance. The point is that if you were testing for clearance, the method that was used during the height of the pandemic was two negative antigen tests, 24-36 hours apart.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to test for clearance in order to be a good citizen. You want to see your daughter, right? Do you want to give it to her and then have her give it to the people she interacts with and so on? It just causes complications for other people. You yourself have been inconvenienced. Why do that to other people? YMMV.

I hope I am not coming off as someone trying not to be inconvenienced. I should be coming off as someone trying to do the right thing and frustrated by the lack of consistent guidance on the proper thing to do.

I hope I am not coming off as someone trying not to be inconvenienced. I should be coming off as someone trying to do the right thing and frustrated by the lack of consistent guidance on the proper thing to do.
    We'll, I think a few other posts have summed it up pretty well. Use the information from a little further back than now: The above testing guidance combined with the 10-14 days. That was probably the best we got. As pointed out, the CDC information isn't about individual outcomes. It's about keeping things humming along using averages. Don't be average. 8). And yes, it's frustrating.

I followed CDC guidance, quarantined for 2 weeks or whatever it was during the height of the pandemic while she stayed at our condo. She came home Thanksgiving day after I cleaned/sanitized the house thoroughly and left windows open and fans running for a full day. I tested negative twice two days apart. 5 days later she tested positive. I'm convinced that there's really no avoiding it without isolating and the CDC guidelines are still not long enough.