Page 852 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 847 848 849 850 851 852 853 854 855 856 857 ... LastLast
Results 21,276 to 21,300 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    IDK what's worse, you being at an airport or you drinking Bud Light....
    Dude! Literally the worst beer selection I’ve ever seen in an airport. They’ve got 3 beers on tap, all shit, and bottle list is bare bones too.

So everyone’s pretty good about the masks, probably because American has been saying if they don’t comply they may be banned from flying with them again haha. Hey, whatever works. It’s still crazy to me they’re filling the 3-wide seats. Isn’t that somewhere the Fed can step in and mandate airlines not fill the middle seat. I mean, fuck, it’s bad enough being on the plane in the first place then you gotta stuff everyone in there like sardines. Had 2 hotties next to me on the first leg. Hopeful for some Jersey milfs on the next flight to EWR.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    There's 126K dead. Is that enough for you?
    Of course it is. But I'm curious what the fatality rate actually is, and if the significant numbers of asymptomatic cases have led the experts to adjust their initial calculations. You think the fatality rate is irrelevant information...doctor?

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Hopeful for some Jersey milfs on the next flight to EWR.
    Paging Greg from AlpineZone, paging Greg from AlpineZone...
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

So since we are back to (I think it's a first ?) abortion vaccine stew recipes, I thought I'd ask what has become of my thread favorite idea of the "butt chugging vaccine"? *

Has ski cougar tried applying it to birdhunter on a pink vibrating 5g mast?

* no pics please.

Edit: please no serious answers or ignore lists as a result of my nonsense.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Dude! Literally the worst beer selection I’ve ever seen in an airport. They’ve got 3 beers on tap, all shit, and bottle list is bare bones too.

So everyone’s pretty good about the masks, probably because American has been saying if they don’t comply they may be banned from flying with them again haha. Hey, whatever works. It’s still crazy to me they’re filling the 3-wide seats. Isn’t that somewhere the Fed can step in and mandate airlines not fill the middle seat. I mean, fuck, it’s bad enough being on the plane in the first place then you gotta stuff everyone in there like sardines. Had 2 hotties next to me on the first leg. Hopeful for some Jersey milfs on the next flight to EWR.
    Good luck mang.....

http://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news...yrr?ocid=ientp
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Of course it is. But I'm curious what the fatality rate actually is, and if the significant numbers of asymptomatic cases have led the experts to adjust their initial calculations. You think the fatality rate is irrelevant information...doctor?
    Given what researchers have been saying for months after antibody surveys trickled in, Redfield's CDC statement doesn't really add any new information other than acknowledging a lot of people have been missed by the current testing regime.

A quick back of the envelope calculation shows if the number of Americans who had been infected with the coronavirus is somewhere around 10 times higher than the official count then the infection fatality rate is in the ballpark of current estimates:

(127,000 / 24,000,000) * 100 = ~.53

Pence: “As we know so far, younger Americans are less susceptible to serious outcomes of the coronavirus,” he said. “The fact that we’re finding more younger Americans who have contracted the coronavirus, is a good thing.”

I can't believe we're months into this thing and some people still can't seem to understand that infected people tend to infect others. That seems like it should literally be the first thing you need to understand. There is nothing 'good' about more younger people contracting COVID-19.

Sounds like Pence just announced we are going to try for herd immunity as quickly as possible. That would be the only "good thing" about more young people getting infected.

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    So a vaccine is of course a product that I'd designed to get your body to pick a lock that has the same or similar combination as the real virus. So when you get infected, you also get to skip somatic hypermutation. Even if the combination isn't exact, maybe it's like 8 of 10 numbers so your body can pick the lock faster. Also might be the case with cross reactivity of similar viruses. Neutralizing antibodies are not helping your 3know how to pick the lock but are just the products of clonal expansion. They will help you fight off a current infection but not help you remember the combination for next time.
    Point of clarification Lego. Somatic hypermutation drives affinity maturation of an antibody leading to an increase in target recognition, not an increase antibody diversity, as the end product of somatic hypermutation results in the selection of the best possible of many potential combinations for a single epitope. Antibody diversity is based on germ line encoded VDJ recombination and pairing of Ab heavy and light chains to provide a diverse repitoire of antibodies able to sample many different epitopes at lower affinity that then undergo the process of affinity maturation.

There are many potential epitopes within a virus/pathogen and it's protein sequences, but not all of them lead to productive elimination of the virus. Only those Ab's that bind in a manner that either blocks the binding surface of the virus, or bind to restrict conformational changes needed for the virus to gain entry into a cell, will be neutralizing. This is the combination to the lock. Clonal expansion will result in the rapid expansion of b cells producing antibodies upon the re-introduction of antigen epitopes, regardless of whether they will have neutralizing function or not.

Within a given Ab response to infection, a small % (~5%) of Ab's may have some neutralizing ability, many Ab's can bind pathogen epitopes that do not contribute to prevention of entry into a cell, and some may actually exacerbate disease by promoting viral update into a cell where it can then replicate (antibody dependent enhancement). All of these may lead memory b-cell retention and undergo clonal expansion upon re-introduction of antigen.

Antibody Cross reactivity occurs when the "epitope" footprint of an antibody is similar enough between different organisms that it will bind to both, but often with variance in the affinity. IE the SARS-1 neutralizing Mab CR3022 is cross reactive with SARS-2 as the epitope shares 24 of 28 contact residues with SARS-2, but it is not neutralizing because it does so with 100-fold lower affinity, and also binds in a location on SARS-2 Spike that doesn't involve the primary receptor binding motif that interacts with ACE-2. Despite relatively high sequence homology ~70%, there are almost no-cross neutralizating Ab's generated from SARS-1 infection to SARS-2 but there are good deal of non-neutralizing Ab's that will cross-react.

The holy grail is finding cross-reactive Neutralizing antibodies that would prevent infection/reinfection with other viruses. These are rare as the viral sequences/epitopes that are similar to each other are most often in regions that are not accessible on the surface of the virus meaning they must be taken up by a cell and processed in order for those regions to be recognized, or bind to epitopes that are away interfaces the would block viral entry. Likewise, pathogens always fight back, some by rapid mutation of proteins on their surface to lead to escape (flu etc), some by shuffling the proteins found on the viral surface (Lyme, Malaria), some by molecular mimicry of host proteins, many by directly down regulating both innate and cell mediated responses that would contribute to pathogen clearance.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    Point of clarification Lego. Somatic hypermutation drives affinity maturation of an antibody leading to an increase in target recognition, not an increase antibody diversity, as the end product of somatic hypermutation results in the selection of the best possible of many potential combinations for a single epitope. Antibody diversity is based on germ line encoded VDJ recombination and pairing of Ab heavy and light chains to provide a diverse repitoire of antibodies able to sample many different epitopes at lower affinity that then undergo the process of affinity maturation.

There are many potential epitopes within a virus/pathogen and it's protein sequences, but not all of them lead to productive elimination of the virus. Only those Ab's that bind in a manner that either blocks the binding surface of the virus, or bind to restrict conformational changes needed for the virus to gain entry into a cell, will be neutralizing. This is the combination to the lock. Clonal expansion will result in the rapid expansion of b cells producing antibodies upon the re-introduction of antigen epitopes, regardless of whether they will have neutralizing function or not.

Within a given Ab response to infection, a small % (~5%) of Ab's may have some neutralizing ability, many Ab's can bind pathogen epitopes that do not contribute to prevention of entry into a cell, and some may actually exacerbate disease by promoting viral update into a cell where it can then replicate (antibody dependent enhancement). All of these may lead memory b-cell retention and undergo clonal expansion upon re-introduction of antigen.

Antibody Cross reactivity occurs when the "epitope" footprint of an antibody is similar enough between different organisms that it will bind to both, but often with variance in the affinity. IE the SARS-1 neutralizing Mab CR3022 is cross reactive with SARS-2 as the epitope shares 24 of 28 contact residues with SARS-2, but it is not neutralizing because it does so with 100-fold lower affinity, and also binds in a location on SARS-2 Spike that doesn't involve the primary receptor binding motif that interacts with ACE-2. Despite relatively high sequence homology ~70%, there are almost no-cross neutralizating Ab's generated from SARS-1 infection to SARS-2 but there are good deal of non-neutralizing Ab's that will cross-react.

The holy grail is finding cross-reactive Neutralizing antibodies that would prevent infection/reinfection with other viruses. These are rare as the viral sequences/epitopes that are similar to each other are most often in regions that are not accessible on the surface of the virus meaning they must be taken up by a cell and processed in order for those regions to be recognized, or bind to epitopes that are away interfaces the would block viral entry. Likewise, pathogens always fight back, some by rapid mutation of proteins on their surface to lead to escape (flu etc), some by shuffling the proteins found on the viral surface (Lyme, Malaria), some by molecular mimicry of host proteins, many by directly down regulating both innate and cell mediated responses that would contribute to pathogen clearance.
    That’s what I was gonna say.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

W2 county doing a good job IMO of keeping citizens up-to-date:

𝐓𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧—𝐂𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐃-𝟏𝟗 𝐢𝐧 𝐖𝐖𝐂

Our disease investigation team is here to help us all understand transmission of COVID-19 within the community.

Since we began our reopening on May 27th, Walla Walla County has seen 43 new cases of COVID-19.
    • March through May: 109 cases
    • June (through 6/26 at 11am): 43 cases

Here is a quick summary of how people in Walla Walla County contracted the virus in June:
    • Household member of an existing case: 14%
    • Social Contact: 2%
    • Travel, visitors traveling into WW county: 12%
    • Travel, residents traveling outside of WW county: 14%
    • Workplace exposure, in WW county: 19%
    • Workplace exposure, outside of WW county: 12%
    • Unknown: 12%
    • Pending full case investigation: 7 cases

#keepW2open #keepwallawallawell
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

FYI:

These Are The Most Common Symptoms Of COVID-19 Right Now
    The CDC updated its official coronavirus symptom list.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    W2 county doing a good job IMO of keeping citizens up-to-date:

𝐓𝐫𝐞𝐧𝐝𝐬 𝐢𝐧 𝐓𝐫𝐚𝐧𝐬𝐦𝐢𝐬𝐬𝐢𝐨𝐧—𝐂𝐎𝐕𝐈𝐃-𝟏𝟗 𝐢𝐧 𝐖𝐖𝐂

Our disease investigation team is here to help us all understand transmission of COVID-19 within the community.

Since we began our reopening on May 27th, Walla Walla County has seen 43 new cases of COVID-19.
    • March through May: 109 cases
    • June (through 6/26 at 11am): 43 cases

Here is a quick summary of how people in Walla Walla County contracted the virus in June:
    • Household member of an existing case: 14%
    • Social Contact: 2%
    • Travel, visitors traveling into WW county: 12%
    • Travel, residents traveling outside of WW county: 14%
    • Workplace exposure, in WW county: 19%
    • Workplace exposure, outside of WW county: 12%
    • Unknown: 12%
    • Pending full case investigation: 7 cases

#keepW2open #keepwallawallawell
    That's a very helpful informational graphic. Hopefully more stuff like that starts coming out from the various counties so people can see how things are more or less risky.

The FAA says they have no authority to regulate health standards on airplanes and that it's the CDC's job, but the CDC doesn't have the authority to regulate air travel.
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Pretty much, because the denominator is such a huge unknown, both for Covid and for all the diseases (ie flu) that people, especially naysayers, want to compare it to. And because the death rate is so age dependent and we don't have reasonable data on the percent of asymptomatic cases by age group. And because the fatality rate depends on who is getting infected--it's not one static number. And because fatality rate may be influenced by viral dose which can be affected by behavior.

Covid in 3 months has killed 3x the yearly total of car crash deaths. What matters is whether the number is going up or down.

I apologize for the snark.

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    Thanks for the Nature article MoFro, that was an interesting read that was surprisingly readable compared to the usual scientific articles I try to read.
    Does that Nature article have a link? It was a good read. If you don't have it I'll try to find it.myself

Just spoke with a next door neighbor, he was exposed in early Feb.

Said about 4 days after exposure his lymph glands swelled and he felt weird for about 3 days. Was under quarantine for 14 days after starting to feel normal.

Went in for his annual physical and blood work. Doctor said he tested positive for having had the Covid.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Reducing transmission of SARS-CoV-2
    Science 26 Jun 2020:
    Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Does that Nature article have a link? It was a good read. If you don't have it I'll try to find it.myself
    Found the link - thanks!

https://science.sciencemag.org/conte...6498/1422.full

Quote Originally Posted by John_B View Post
    That's a very helpful informational graphic. Hopefully more stuff like that starts coming out from the various counties so people can see how things are more or less risky.
    Our city and county officials have done a great job trying to keep people informed and feeling positive (at least that's my take on it). They also do weekly videos that they post to the community FB page. There are still a lot of people who post comments that are negative and not helpful but many more are supportive and thankful for the info.

https://player.vimeo.com/video/43298...Vo5-a9v0ZShIUg

We finally got our governor to do more here in Utah, then this dolt in BFE goes and calls him a Nazi. Like what in the fuck is actually going on right now?

https://www.ksl.com/article/46769827...lake-mask-rule

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post
    Thanks!

In summary: we're fucked. If schools open in the US, it'll probably be short-lived. Also, didn't touch the whole poop flushing thing.... :disappointed:

Friend in Leon Co, FL got tested today at his primary care. In his county, there's only one public testing center, requiring physician order, and only allows for 400 tests/day. The only other means of getting tested in the county is with a visit to a doctor (assuming you have one).

xtra-baked mofro? I have no idea what any of that means, but thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

So what's up with the fact that the three states in the lead (CA, TX, and FL) are seeing similar spikes with very different approaches. You would've thought with as heavy handed as CA acted that we'd see them be significantly less cases than TX. So what gives? Honest question.

Also funny how I've noticed the focus has been so much on TX and FL while too often neglecting to mention CA. Again, very different approaches in how TX and FL dealt versus California yet here we are. Do the spikes simply have more to do with population size than anything?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    So what's up with the fact that the three states in the lead (CA, TX, and FL) are seeing similar spikes with very different approaches. You would've thought with as heavy handed as CA acted that we'd see them be significantly less cases than TX. So what gives? Honest question.

Also funny how I've noticed the focus has been so much on TX and FL while too often neglecting to mention CA. Again, very different approaches in how TX and FL dealt versus California yet here we are. Do the spikes simply have more to do with population size than anything?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app
    Sunny beaches, would be my guess