Page 1408 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 ... LastLast
Results 35,176 to 35,200 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    With 2 shots in me and the cdc officially reporting I’m not a risk to others, I’m feeling a pretty intense anti mask sentiment rising in the “fuck this bullshit” cortex of my YetiBrain.

I had somebody get real butthurt about me being unmasked outdoors 10 feet away from him yesterday. I was cool about it, I put a mask on for his sake, but I think real soon I’m going to not be doing that anymore.
    Yeah, outdoor masking unless required by a business is the ultimate virtue signaling. It never really made sense to me. I’m not anti mask at all

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

With 2 shots in me and the cdc officially reporting I’m not a risk to others, I’m feeling a pretty intense anti mask sentiment rising in the “fuck this bullshit” cortex of my YetiBrain.

I had somebody get real butthurt about me being unmasked outdoors 10 feet away from him yesterday. I was cool about it, I put a mask on for his sake, but I think real soon I’m going to not be doing that anymore.
    Pretty much. It is gonna be interesting when the science supports COVID risk being something like struck by lightning, hit by bus, riding a motorcycle, skiing or any of the multitude of things that could chop you down at anytime.

Out here in the land of sunshine and puffy coats, we are coming up pretty quickly on "more than two weeks after the the date that anyone that wanted the vax got there second shot". I'll support private businesses and government offices having a mask requirement indefinitely but other than that, nope. I ain't gonna go sneezing on the lettuce or generally going out and about when sick but to me, at least locally, COVID is then a personal health issue.

I'll be flexible if hospitalization and other metrics trend the other way but I ain't gonna bend to some sub set of the population that arbitrarily believes mask life needs to continue indefinitely.

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Yeah, outdoor masking unless required by a business is the ultimate virtue signaling. It never really made sense to me. I’m not anti mask at all

Me either, mask all day at work but haven't been wearing one walking the dogs the entire time. Mask in pocket, goes on when I need to go inside or standing around if others were masked.
    I shake my head when others pull their mask up for the one second they walk by more than 6ft away and without talking, then I remember not everyone has the risk tolerance or maybe never ate as much dirt as a kid that I did.
    Unfortunately based on increased traffic, there seems to be a correlation with ever-maskers and driving slow in the left lane.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

The only time I’ve worn a mask outside was in the lift maze

Fully vaxed. I intend to wear a mask in any indoor public space. I've got my responses prepared, and am almost looking forward to, someone giving me any shit about my being masked.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    Pretty much. It is gonna be interesting when the science supports COVID risk being something like struck by lightning, hit by bus, riding a motorcycle, skiing or any of the multitude of things that could chop you down at anytime.

Out here in the land of sunshine and puffy coats, we are coming up pretty quickly on "more than two weeks after the the date that anyone that wanted the vax got there second shot". I'll support private businesses and government offices having a mask requirement indefinitely but other than that, nope. I ain't gonna go sneezing on the lettuce or generally going out and about when sick but to me, at least locally, COVID is then a personal health issue.

I'll be flexible if hospitalization and other metrics trend the other way but I ain't gonna bend to some sub set of the population that arbitrarily believes mask life needs to continue indefinitely.
    How have you drawn a ending conclusion when the pandemic isn't over?
    So, Covid-19 is no big deal? People die all the time so why are we closing? Your post reads a little contradictory...
    I have never heard anyone say masks are going to be worn forever...fearmonger, or paranoid?
    We wouldn't be in this situation if approx 1/3 of the population didn't believe the virus was a "democratic hoax".

medicine is usualy a bitter pill of some kind in this case its vax/ masking/ distancing, the Vax more than anything has turned turned covid around but we arent out of the woods yet,

The Covid situ alway reminds me of my buddy who went crazy, was commited but was palming the meds cuz he didn't like how they made him feel

it was pointed out to him he was more likely to get let out if he took the meds
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Masking is going to be up to the states and counties, as it has been all along. Interesting that in the one area where the Fed govt has actual jurisdiction--planes and trains--masks are still required. Around here it's hard for vaccinated people to do what they did before the pandemic when a lot of restaurants are still take-out only.

The expert PBS interviewed last night about the changed guidelines was against it because it wasn't fair, since fewer POC had been vaccinated. While some of that is due to barriers to vaccination for poor people, a recent poll showed very high rates of vaccine hesitancy among Black Sacramentans. Certainly we should continue to reach out to the unvaccinated, whatever their color, but we can't restrict the vaccinated waiting for the hesitant to change their minds. (I notice no one is saying the changed policy is unfair to Republicans.)
    Last edited by old goat; 05-15-2021 at 10:44 AM.

My area has done well enough in the past year that I'm willing to respect the many people who are still going overboard a bit with the masking. Which means, basically, that I keep a bandana around my neck while biking/running/walking, and if the approaching person masks up first, I flip the bandana up to complete what I think of as the Covid "how's it goin'" exchange. Otherwise, no. Right now, on the local paths, it's about 50/50, which is a lot less masking than a couple weeks ago. Full disclosure: I've never been all that concerned about exposure in most outdoor activities, and I'm happy enough to keep masking for a while for shopping etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If you're fully vaxxed then you're already in struck by lightning territory and way less risk than riding a motorcycle. Way less than driving even.

The only time I’ve worn a mask outside was in the lift maze

Huh, actually me too. I hated every wet foggy second of it too.

Quote Originally Posted by RoooR View Post
    If you're fully vaxxed then you're already in struck by lightning territory and way less risk than riding a motorcycle. Way less than driving even.
    I don't stand under tall trees or climb mountains during thunderstorm and I don't ride motorcycles.

It doesn't make sense to assess risks without looking at benefits. The question is not just how risky going without a mask is, the question is, is the benefit of going without it worth the risk.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Masking is going to be up to the states and counties, as it has been all along. Interesting that in the one area where the Fed govt has actual jurisdiction--planes and trains--masks are still required. Around here it's hard for vaccinated people to do what they did before the pandemic when a lot of restaurants are still take-out only.

The expert PBS interviewed last night about the changed guidelines was against it because it wasn't fair, since fewer POC had been vaccinated. While some of that is due to barriers to vaccination for poor people, a recent poll showed very high rates of vaccine hesitancy among Black Sacramentans. Certainly we should continue to reach out to the unvaccinated, whatever their color, but we can't restrict the vaccinated waiting for the hesitant to change their minds. (I notice no one is saying the changed policy is unfair to Republicans.)
    I’ve had to purposefully fuck off from The News lately…I dunno, this kind of logic-defying shit, and there seems to be an awful lot of it recently, really leaves me with a kind of heavily misanthropic pall and that has proven to be a pretty noticeable impediment to a variety of basic functions for me.

As long as I can remember I’ve looked down on willful ignorance, so it’s not the easiest thing to reckon with a personal need to employ it as a mental health choice.

Everest expedition abandons the mountain after several members got Covid. Like Covid is the biggest risk of climbing Everest. And even if you don't die, climbing Everest makes people feel a lot worse than the Covid. (Meanwhile--what's the optics of people climbing Everest with bottled oxygen while people in India are dying from the lack of it?)
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/15/w...&region=footer

IAS--misanthropy is something I came to terms with many years ago. It is possible to live a nearly normal life as a misanthrope as long as you avoid people as much as you can and develop effective coping strategies for when you can't. Turning off the news is a good start. An advanced technique is cultivating an exquisite sense of self-righteous indignation (SRI). Studies show that dopamine levels are higher during fits of SRI than during sex, drinking beer, or even shitting. The only thing that comes close is a puppy.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Fully vaxed. I intend to wear a mask in any indoor public space. I've got my responses prepared, and am almost looking forward to, someone giving me any shit about my being masked.
    Ok, well, I guess let me be the first to give you shit: the masks were for Covid, Covid vaccinations are free, available, and effective. Why are you not adjusting?

Ok, well, I guess let me be the first to give you shit: the masks were for Covid, Covid vaccinations are free, available, and effective. Why are you not adjusting?
    There were masks before. There will be masks after. Especially if it's cold, smoky, polleny, or fluey out. Or if you happen to see one of the many immuno-compromised Americans walking around in public. The people who weren't really represented in the trials but are now bringing down those efficacy stats.

Maybe thinking of masks as a political tool wasn't the best plan for our society. I sympathize with the misanthropy, too, but as dangerous as denial is, projection is a great first step toward feeding yourself nonsense. And a super popular one these days, so it's gonna be socially acceptable and there won't be any support groups for a while. Be wary. Good luck.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Had my first mask “confrontation” today. Almost ran out of time…. Went to the local bakery to grab a loaf of sourdough for some French toast for brunch. Wore my mask because the sign on the door said wear a mask. Everybody inside had a mask on. Two people came in behind me (not together) without a mask, and started talking about how they didn’t have to wear a mask anymore so they wouldn’t because they were vaccinated. I chimed in and said I was vaccinated too, “but the sign on the door said “masks required, no exceptions” and I do make an effort to not be an asshole. It’s not really about me, and wearing a mask for the next few days while everybody figures it out seemed like the friendly thing to do.” The guy said something about his rights, and I said the bakery here isn’t exactly ground zero for your rights, dude…. I checked out of the conversation at that point to get my sourdough loaf.

The French toast was frickin delicious, by the way….
    focus.

Good on you and well said

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Imagine how pathetically empty one's life must be to participate in any sort of public mask liberation demonstration.

Re the CDC's new guidelines, if not, when? They have the data about transmission from vaxxed people and effectiveness against the variants we have so far. A year from now there will still be Covid around almost certainly, there will still be a lot of unvaxxed people, the same arguments that can be made against the recommendation today will likely be valid a year from now.

It is possible we will at some point have variants that need a new vaccine. That should be dealt with like a new coronavirus or other virus epidemic--genetic sequencing of cases among the vaccinated, contact tracing, isolating patients and contacts, and (re)vaccinating. Maybe we'll get it right next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Mustonen View Post
    Had my first mask “confrontation” today. Almost ran out of time…. Went to the local bakery to grab a loaf of sourdough for some French toast for brunch. Wore my mask because the sign on the door said wear a mask. Everybody inside had a mask on. Two people came in behind me (not together) without a mask, and started talking about how they didn’t have to wear a mask anymore so they wouldn’t because they were vaccinated. I chimed in and said I was vaccinated too, “but the sign on the door said “masks required, no exceptions” and I do make an effort to not be an asshole. It’s not really about me, and wearing a mask for the next few days while everybody figures it out seemed like the friendly thing to do.” The guy said something about his rights, and I said the bakery here isn’t exactly ground zero for your rights, dude…. I checked out of the conversation at that point to get my sourdough loaf.

The French toast was frickin delicious, by the way….
    A sign that the pandemic is nearly over--buying sourdough bread instead of baking it.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The question is not just how risky going without a mask is, the question is, is the benefit of going without skiing or riding a motorcycle worth the risk.
    FIFY

BTW, I am a proud, and fervent misanthrope.

Man, I’m probably going to owe Hott Butt Mud an apology if this keeps going this way with vaccinated people wearing masks outside.

I don’t give a shit if they want to wear a mask or a not, but giving vaccinated people a hard time about not masking outside is crazy.

I’m also perfectly happy to wear a mask to grocery shop or whatever if they business owner wants me to wear it for my 15 mins on their store.

Wait, so I can’t spread it or catch it and still I’m supposed to put this shit on my face to indulge the feelings of people who don’t comprehend that?

All the crazy conspiracy assholes who said this would never end were right.
    Jesus

Wait, so I can’t spread it or catch it and still I’m supposed to put this shit on my face to indulge the feelings of people who don’t comprehend that?

All the crazy conspiracy assholes who said this would never end were right.
    Jesus
    Not forever child, just a little longer. Save the meltdown. I've have gotten used to seeing yoga pants where they don't belong.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.