Page 999 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 ... LastLast
Results 24,951 to 24,975 of 41810
    re: nose-dicking
    Feels 5 degrees cooler. Easy to pop it up when another human in sight.
    Chinstrapping, another 5 degrees. Requires more fiddling.
    Mask in pocket - a full 12 degrees cooler. About same effort to get it back in place as chinstrapping. Lookout for blackberry bushes, they like to pickpocket masks. Since I only touch myself , I'm not worried about mask fomite transmission.

I do this on trails where it's unlikely I'll see a human for 5 minutes or more. I understand why people might do this elsewhere, since it feels cooler. I don't.

I've been inside buildings several times since March, usually wearing n95. Mostly quick in/out visits to pick up prepaid 'za, about once a month. It's a treat. Outdoor dined, distanced, with the 'rents once. Talk to friends across the lawn about once/week. As mentioned earlier, I mostly eat what I find in the alley behind Walmart, prepaid no-contact pickup. I usually wash teh rona off, or quarantine food before handling/eating, though I feel this is unnecessary.

I respect that people want to be idiots. However, this is one of those times we must protect the idiots, same as we do with building standards, traffic laws, and smoking laws.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

[QUOTE=XXX-er;6043619]Just hit 1000 pages

165000 dead American

/QUOTE]

9,000 dead Canada

52,000 dead Mexico

200,000 dead Europe

I suspect that churchgoers might be better convinced by the argument that one can worship any place any time, that going to church is not about the free practice of religion but about community, that religious community is important but community is just as important to those of us, including the religious, who aren't going to church, or restaurants, or bars, or family reunions, or parties. Our Lutheran pastor friend has been preaching on video from an otherwise empty church for months and does not see any conflict with her Christian mission.

Something like $1.3 trillion is funneled into religion in the US every year. That's a lot of mortgage and car payments to expect figureheads to put flock first.

I like the discourse vs judgement message but it seems largely academic. It's the same as suggesting a conversation will persuade political ideologues. Not happening.

Disagree. There are a lot of quietly religious people in this country whose minds are not remotely so made up on this as the loud ones might suggest. Setting a tone of disrespect for them sets you up to be ignored at best and actively resisted at worst. There are enough of these people to change the president in any given election, and letting them think they'd been called "deplorable" probably did so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    goatse.cx

Folks using the AK loophole to come up thru a closed border to go site seeing in the Rockies, go hiking, go for dinner in Banff insted of driving directly to AK like they agreed to in other words not taking it seriously and having no legitimate reason to be where they were, the story grew legs & caused a lot of controversy for people who might have a legitimate reason whatever that may be,

there is no valid reason for someone to be this far narth certainly not the guy who i ran into mtnbiking that gave me a BS line and so he would be one of the loopholers

I just went out for supplies, from what I can see there are not droves of tourists with US plates this year drivivng thru town that I would normaly see buying gas/booze/food ... cuz the border is closed

there are not even many out of province Canadian plates driving around BC

in any case its just the flu right ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Disagree. There are a lot of quietly religious people in this country whose minds are not remotely so made up on this as the loud ones might suggest. Setting a tone of disrespect for them sets you up to be ignored at best and actively resisted at worst. There are enough of these people to change the president in any given election, and letting them think they'd been called "deplorable" probably did so.
    The case in point was small shack, choir prac, no mask. You think those minds aren't made up? Be sure to report back with how many you change.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    The case in point was small shack, choir prac, no mask. You think those minds aren't made up? Be sure to report back with how many you change.
    Fair enough, but have they been contacted and invited to TGR such that we are addressing them directly? Because the generic language used seems more broad than that. Point being, broadly insulting classes of people based on the actions of a few is the definition of bigotry. Displaying bigotry for those that are listening by attacking people who aren't is counterproductive.

Should you extend the invitation I would suggest we have a separate room just for that dialogue.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I think the point is great and often shouted down here: that many libs here are also intolerant bigots, so maybe mellow the fuck out on the constant stereotypes and condescending judgement.

And for everyone who thinks I MUST be conservative for thinking that, knee jerk much? I think you are no better than the conservatives you hate.

And while I'm venting, enough with posting every time you see someone without a mask at a store, ha.

I've given up on only fully wearing my mask when directly interacting with people in likely exposure conditions - I've been embarrassed and downright horrified at how many times I've belatedly realized that I completely forgot to put it properly in place ( and let' just say that only some of those are due to incipient geezeroidy). Now I just put it on and leave it whenever I leave the house/car, and only remove it/hang it around my neck after returning. I wish other (geezers??) would do the same so I wouldn't have to embarrass both them and myself by pointing out the needful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Should you extend the invitation I would suggest we have a separate room just for that dialogue.
    Snake handling subforum?

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Question for the 80% of Canadians who firmly support the continued border closure to all countries despite Canada ranking 25th on earth in most COVID deaths per million. Is there an economic (not virus related) breaking point where you would change your opinion? I see Canada's GDP has fallen 12% versus 9.5% for the US.

https://www.theguardian.com/business...n-gdp-among-g7
    Here's more colour on the GDP comparables

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-c...-idUSKCN24W1Z3

While the May and June recovery appears stronger than once feared, it is still not enough to reverse the steep decline in April, economists noted.

The estimated decline for the second quarter, meanwhile, would be by far the deepest quarterly plunge ever, StatsCan said.

The decline would also be worse than what was seen in the United States for the same quarter, as Canada enacted restrictions earlier and eased them less aggressively, Royce Mendes, a senior economist with CIBC Capital Markets said in a note.

The reason for the additional economic retraction seems to be a logical outcome of the more conservative approach to public health concern.

National Bank of Canada and RBC and OECD World Bank estimates peg Canadian recovery in Q3 to be higher than the US.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    And while I'm venting, enough with posting every time you see someone without a mask at a store, ha.
    But how else are we supposed to get to 2000 pages before there's a vaccine?

Has there been any new believable data on the 14 day thing? Sure would be nice if 80% of people knew within 7 days.

I realize these forums are US centric but here is other GDP data if anyone is interested in the rest of the world. Not all Q2 final numbers are in so some are just projections.

Note Sweden compared to Denmark, NorwayClick image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200809-182656_Economist.jpeg 
Views:	103 
Size:	60.6 KB 
ID:	336750

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    These people are either uninformed enough to think everything's fine or fanatical enough to believe that god will protect them because of their religion. Either way I'm not gonna waste any time trying to reach them. It's not bigotry that drives my position, it's common sense.

@ XXX

I don't disagree with you, it's more the tone.

We fucked up big time down here, but on the individual level, the majority are trying as best they can. But it's very difficult when not everybody is on board, and the politics are so toxic. Those assholes you're talking about are still the exception rather than the rule.

And part of Canada's success is luck. Low population density, and a strong federal government that's progressive and pro-science. But imagine for a moment that Rob Ford were still alive, and he ran for prime minister. One out of every three Canadians lives in Ontario, and when you add Alberta, there's enough conservative voters that he could've won (at least a minority). Then think of how this might have played out with your very own crack-smoking Trump.

And if that had happened, I wouldn't be kicking you when you're down.

Can anyone school me on the practice of pulling masks up when passing folks on trails? Ive seen it alot, biking and hiking. I get the masks inside or when you need to be near others, but distanced/ fleeting encounters? So many people are doing it. Am I missing something? Bay area KooKs? Or do I just not get it?

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk

Fun factoid about Sturgis
    Covid 19 has killed about 50 people per 100,000 in the US so far.
    Motorcycles kill about 60 per registered motorcycle. (Some bikes probably kill 2 riders at once)
    I'm sure Covid will pass motorcycles by year's end, but if your hobby is riding a motorcycle it's easy to understand why Covid wouldn't worry you that much.

It's a ettiquite clusterfk. Depends on how hard and what way the wind is blowing for me. I feel safer if the air is mixing. If I'm able to pass an occasional group and maintain six feet I don't mask up. If it's busy I mask up. My enemy is the MAMILs on two wheels spewing cooties while trying fo some personal best of something.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Can anyone school me on the practice of pulling masks up when passing folks on trails? Ive seen it alot, biking and hiking. I get the masks inside or when you need to be near others, but distanced/ fleeting encounters? So many people are doing it. Am I missing something? Bay area KooKs? Or do I just not get it?

Sent from my SM-J737T1 using Tapatalk
    Safety signaling. Respect for others. I get it if close, if fleeting, contact is unavoidable. But I'll be breathing the air you exhaled before you pulled up your mask once I'm past you. I just get off the trail. I wear a mask for the rare times I can't. Sometimes people get off the trail before I do. Mostly not. Plus every day I breath air molecules that Jesus breathed. I'm counting on those to protect me.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/n...eath-sam-kean/

Quote Originally Posted by Mokomahonah View Post
    Can anyone school me on the practice of pulling masks up when passing folks on trails? Ive seen it alot, biking and hiking. I get the masks inside or when you need to be near others, but distanced/ fleeting encounters?
    One hand washes the other kinda tribal virtue gesturing. Feels good mmmkay.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    It's a ettiquite clusterfk. Depends on how hard and what way the wind is blowing for me. I feel safer if the air is mixing. If I'm able to pass an occasional group and maintain six feet I don't mask up. If it's busy I mask up. My enemy is the MAMILs on two wheels spewing cooties while trying fo some personal best of something.
    MAMILs. Thank you for that. But you're just jealous that at your (our) age you will never again set a personal best at anything, except maybe sleeping.