Page 1254 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1249 1250 1251 1252 1253 1254 1255 1256 1257 1258 1259 ... LastLast
Results 31,326 to 31,350 of 41810
    Question: bears are breaking into cars in Whistler.
    What are the chances that a bear could get Covid?
    If minks, can bears?
    One bear apparently broke into 20 cars in the last few weeks.
    OH, MY GAWD! ―John Hillerman  Big Billie Eilish fan.
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post
    If minks, can bears?
    Bears are solitary and aren't packed 100,000 together in small cages in a farm so no one gives a shit if bears get it from a public health perspective. The problem with minks is the 100,000 times the virus has a chance to quickly spread and mutate under a single roof.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

If minks, can bears?
    I fuckin knew it! Those bastards.

You ever look at an animal and say to yourself “that furry motherfucker is definitely spreading the Covid”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by LegoSkier View Post
    Bears are solitary and aren't packed 100,000 together in small cages in a farm so no one gives a shit if bears get it from a public health perspective. The problem with minks is the 100,000 times the virus has a chance to quickly spread and mutate under a single roof.
    Tell that to the Chicago Bears!
    But that's a quibble to what PG posted (at first, anyway, I haven't read his latest book) ―jono
    we are not arguing about ski boots or fashionable clothing or spageheti O's which mean nothing in the grand scheme ― XXX-er

If minks, can bears?
    Even if they can it seems exceptionally unlikely that they would. Cats and dogs live with humans and it seems like they have been largely unaffected. People aren't really going around breathing on bears.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Can you please point to a single population group where over 50% of the population has been infected? I'll wait.

Reduction hasn't started. This forest fire is just beginning.
    You’re right and he’s right. Technically if you take away any percentage of population that’s no longer susceptible (even ~.86%) you reduce transmissibility. That ~1 in 100 person is no longer available to be infected by the rest of the population, bringing the transmissibility very very slightly lower. Of course the curve on that is extremely long and shallow until you get to much much higher percentages.

Calling that pattern herd immunity isn’t accurate but it follows the same logic, so his point is valid even if the numbers are small enough to be basically meaningless even on a large scale.

And you’re absolutely right. Reducing the fuel in an ecosystem by 1% might mean the rapid expansion of the fire is only very very slightly less exponential, but it’s got a ton of other ripe fuel around, plus the idiots that are running around throwing themselves on the flames in the name of “freedumb”

Well, the evening update as it is.

FIL got into the ER eventually. X-ray followed up with other scans. Possible bleeding in the brain. Hospital is full and can't deal with him so he was transported 40+ miles via ambulance TWO CITIES over the next closest faculty that could take him (this is central CA, not exactly out in the sticks, but not a massive city either). Step mom in law couldn't follow into the first, doesn't have much say about the move either. He is very much alone and now has been exposed to two ER's full of covid cases and hours in ambulances with EMTs.

Dr. at the new hospital didn't like the scan done, so he got a cat scan at the new place around 6pm. He has been moved upstairs (unknown if this is icu or just admitted). Haven't got any new information since. Hospital is very tight on giving information and the hold times are ridiculously long just to get what we know, and forget about trying to talk to him directly. They're slammed and don't have time to help facilitate a phone call.

Stay home. Don't do shit that might get you hurt. Now is not the time, and it's about to get worse because of Thanksgiving. Hopefully our health system can survive what is about to hit it. CA is down to 1800 icu beds for the entire state as of today, the lowest it has been for the entire pandemic and the Thanksgiving cases haven't hit yet. This is going to get really bad.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    I fuckin knew it! Those bastards.

You ever look at an animal and say to yourself “that furry motherfucker is definitely spreading the Covid”

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    These days, before I get mauled by a bear I always think, "I hope he doesn't give me COVID".

Sorry to hear, DJ, that sounds like an absolute mess.
    Hang tight!
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks. The Mrs. is a much bigger mess than I am. If FIL comes through this without getting COVID that will be a miracle.

I'm a lot more scared about this being a much larger sign of things to come. COVID deniers combined with Xmas, new years, months of lockdowns and an overwhelmed health systems is a perfect storm. Daily deaths in the US will be in the thousands. Not just from COVID, but because we broke our hospitals capacity. We can't make doctors and nurses in a reconfigured GM plant. People will be dying in triage, covid or otherwise.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon3 View Post
    ... And you’re absolutely right. Reducing the fuel in an ecosystem by 1% might mean the rapid expansion of the fire is only very very slightly less exponential, but it’s got a ton of other ripe fuel around, plus the idiots that are running around throwing themselves on the flames in the name of “freedumb”
    Just as a matter of mesh network dynamics, the people that are getting it might be the people in the most exposed jobs/roles/etc.
    So ... if they become immune for some time, that entire network is taken out.
    Like taking out a router in a WAN/LAN. The entire network is now exponentially less likely to spread it anywhere else.
    Let's just hope that is true.
    Let's hope all the mouth breathers are done and done. Or decide to finally don a mask.

Can you please point to a single population group where over 50% of the population has been infected? I'll wait.

Reduction hasn't started. This forest fire is just beginning.
    I'm sorry to hear about your situation, and you're right it's not getting better soon. Good luck to you and yours!

My statement was a little overly terse. To clarify: the original question was when will we start to see a reduction because people have already had it. Reduction isn't binary, we get a few less cases than we might otherwise have (given the same behavior) almost from the beginning if recovered people are immune. Not herd immunity, just a slightly lower R0 based on less non-immune people walking around.

The point being: if current growth rates represent the beginning of that, we obviously are not close to getting a meaningful benefit from it, let alone the much vaunted "herd mentality."
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

If minks, can bears?
    Question: What Kind of Bear is Best for spreading Covid?

Bears

Beets

Battlestar Galactica

DJ - vibes to you and the Mrs. Sounds like, despite the convoluted process of care, they are being aggressive (in a good way) in investigating and figuring out what injuries he may have suffered.

So the director of the CDC announced that schools are not a major transmitter.
    That would be great news. Doesn’t seem entirely logical.
    4 of the 6 people I know who just got it all have kids in the house. The other two are working in stores. Not sure if I believe the school thing but it would be good. If it is true, isn’t that a sign masks work?
    He is saying restaurants and bars are primary vectors.

Not just from COVID, but because we broke our hospitals capacity.
    Sorry to hear about what you guys are going through. That sucks. Sadly though, it wasn't just "we" that broke hospital capacity, but I'd argue it was the hospitals themselves that broke capacity. Despite some of them making record profits, they continue to cut staff and increase workloads. I can't blame this Nurses union for giving them the middle finger...
    http://www.seiu121rn.org/2020/06/22/...ng-and-safety/
    Quote Originally Posted by SEIU Local 101 RN
    Riverside Community Hospital is part of the largest, wealthiest for-profit healthcare corporation in the nation:
    - HCA is in an amazingly good financial position. They had so much in profits last year that they took $2 billion to buy back their own stock and pay shareholder dividends. They had planned to do an additional $2.8 billion buyback of their own stock – in other words, they have nearly $3 billion in play money to get them through the pandemic without a scratch.
    - On top of that, they got another $5 billion in federal bailout money—$1 billion of it that they never have to pay back.

Here’s another way to look at this corporation:
    - During 2015 through 2019, HCA annual income went from $39.7 Billion to $51.3 Billion—so in 5 years they increased their annual income by 29%
    - At the same time, though, they went from $2.1 billion in pure profit in 2015 to $3.5 Billion in 2019. That was an increase of 65% in annual profits.
    - So how did they do that? How did 29% more in income turn into 65% more in pure gravy profits? By cutting corners, that’s how. By understaffing. By refusing to provide break relief. By not having enough PPE on hand.
    - HCA could easily weather this storm financially, continue to provide profits for their Shareholders, while at the same time support and protect Nurses as they fight this disease and fight to save their community.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Sorry to hear about what you guys are going through. That sucks. Sadly though, it wasn't just "we" that broke hospital capacity, but I'd argue it was the hospitals themselves that broke capacity. Despite some of them making record profits, they continue to cut staff and increase workloads. I can't blame this Nurses union for giving them the middle finger...
    http://www.seiu121rn.org/2020/06/22/...ng-and-safety/
    Crazy what happens in a for-profit health care system. Even crazier what happens when people vote for and support industry deregulation allowing capital finance ownership conversions. Certifiably insane when people complain of the consequences.

I wondered when one of our resident kooks would chime in with "the hospitals are to blame!" There is no bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    I wondered when one of our resident kooks would chime in with "the hospitals are to blame!" There is no bottom.
    Oh. So intentional understaffing and lack of PPE stockpiling wasn't a problem pre-COVID? Now they were just caught with their pants down. Our whole country was. The whole world was. Yes. Our govt certainly fouled up, but so did the medical industry at large. Just about everyone was ill prepared for what 2020 had in store for us. Well, except the hospitals like the one I mentioned sitting on billions in cash. They simply chose not to prepare and CONTINUE to be cheapskates for their shareholders' sakes while snagging millions/billions in Federal CARES $$$. Not cool.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Smoova View Post
    Oh, I'll jump on that bandwagon. Do a little research on just the salaries of hospital administrators and the profiteering of hospital corporations, and you might grab a gun and start stalking some of those people when you or a relative receive a five figure "surprise" bill for a procedure you thought your insurance covered.

Quote Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
    Crazy what happens in a for-profit health care system. Even crazier what happens when people vote for and support industry deregulation allowing capital finance ownership conversions. Certifiably insane when people complain of the consequences.
    Deregulation is a cornerstone of the republican mindset. Is Austin turning on the cult? Has he been deprogrammed?

Does he even realize what he's saying??? BLASPHEMY!!!!

@ Benny/Austin:

So, are you two advocating for Gubamint to force publicly owned corporations to spend shareholder $$$ preparing for disasters such as pandemics?

Or that we need to scrap our entire Healthcare for Profit system because the pandemic has show it is badly broken?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

I don't think you all understand how this works. The free markets will dictate the response to this and any future pandemic and if the loss of life doesn't impact future revenue then we're all set.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    @ Benny/Austin:

So, are you two advocating for Gubamint to force publicly owned corporations to spend shareholder $$$ preparing for disasters such as pandemics?

Or that we need to scrap our entire Healthcare for Profit system because the pandemic has show it is badly broken?
    I think Austin’s brain just exploded
    "If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough."

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    @ Benny/Austin:

The rest of the advanced world, who live with a sane, universal health care system that doesnt bankrupt their citizens while corporations profit greatly ( I think it's still at the top of the list for personal bankruptcy in America) look at our situation in horror.