Page 1465 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1460 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 ... LastLast
Results 36,601 to 36,625 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by californiagrown View Post
    Scary part is, im an engineer. True story, i forgot my calculator at home today and it sucks.

Funny enough im constantly evaluating the Kcal/$ equation as i struggle to keep weight on (currently about 15lbs heavier than my default) and eating calorically dense enough foods that dont break the bank is important... lots of rice gets eaten.
    if you were an engineer of any worth you would have just used your back-up slide rule
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Believe it or not, I agree with you 100%. Educational efforts could go a long way toward this effort, but I fear our govt is too cucked by corn lobby and such. Past efforts like the food pyramid ended up being pretty faulty.

One thing that is a big hurdle is simply our culture. Go to a convenience store in America and try and find a healthy meal. Now go to a 7-11 in Japan and you'll find plenty of good options. Here we have Big Gulps and gas station corn dogs. There they have sushi and miso to go. No way that'd fly here with the masses. Haha. Yeah, we have a serious problem in this department.
    Oh to be clear I wasn’t taking it as an argument! I’m agreeing with you

Scary part is, im an engineer. True story, i forgot my calculator at home today and it sucks.

Funny enough im constantly evaluating the Kcal/$ equation as i struggle to keep weight on (currently about 15lbs heavier than my default) and eating calorically dense enough foods that dont break the bank is important... lots of rice gets eaten.
    Don't forget. It ain't just about the "calories." Thankfully, bacteria's been a BIG part of the conversation lately and been making the rounds in the news based on some more recent studies. What some of us have been saying for years, but glad to see it finally get more much needed attention:
    https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mSystems.00964-21
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/n...me-weight-loss
    https://theconversation.com/microbio...w-study-168036

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Oh to be clear I wasn’t taking it as an argument! I’m agreeing with you
    Nice! High five!

Don't forget. It ain't just about the "calories." Thankfully, bacteria's been a BIG part of the conversation lately and been making the rounds in the news based on some more recent studies. What some of us have been saying for years, but glad to see it finally get more much needed attention:
    https://journals.asm.org/doi/10.1128/mSystems.00964-21
    https://www.webmd.com/diet/obesity/n...me-weight-loss
    https://theconversation.com/microbio...w-study-168036
    saurkraut, kimchi and yogurt make daily appearances in my diet for that very reason. But this is majoring in the minors when it comes to having a diet/lifestyle that doesnt make you obese.

the simple fact of the matter is that people would rather eat salty, sugary, fatty foods for the immediate reward, than eat healthier options that don't tickle that part of their brain immediatley. Its part of larger societal issue of few people valuing or being comfortable with delayed gratification.

s

the simple fact of the matter is that people would rather eat salty, sugary, fatty foods for the immediate reward, than eat healthier options that don't tickle that part of their brain immediatley. Its part of larger societal issue of few people valuing or being comfortable with delayed gratification.
    even without his calculator the engineer has it figured out ^^

Somw how I been losing weight while riding my E-bike

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    even without his calculator the engineer has it figured out ^^

Somw how I been losing weight while riding my E-bike
    I had one of the engineers we keep in the back run the numbers for me this time.

But this is majoring in the minors when it comes to having a diet/lifestyle that doesnt make you obese.
    Also, I don't believe anyone has proven causation yet. There was a compelling case-study where a woman received a fecal transplant from an obese donor and subsequently gained a lot of weight herself, but AFAIK that remains an isolated case.

As frorider noted there's the "food-as-drug" aspect, and there's also a sizeable number of people who just DGAF.

One thing that is a big hurdle is simply our culture. Go to a convenience store in America and try and find a healthy meal. Now go to a 7-11 in Japan and you'll find plenty of good options. Here we have Big Gulps and gas station corn dogs. There they have sushi and miso to go. No way that'd fly here with the masses. Haha. Yeah, we have a serious problem in this department.
    Also cheap fast food that some people eat several times a week because it's so convenient and cheap. Whenever I see ads for Pizza Hut, for example, it boggles my mind that people even consider it food. Everything's this uniform beige color. Just say no to beige food.

I had one of the engineers we keep in the back run the numbers for me this time.
    a whole back up engineer ... how in-genius !

This thread is making me hungry. Can we discuss rat flu again?

ok so what would you eat to satisfy the craving is the obvious question

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    There was a compelling case-study where a woman received a fecal transplant from an obese donor and subsequently gained a lot of weight herself, but AFAIK that remains an isolated case.
    This phenomenon has actually been studied pretty extensively in mice. It's definitely a thing. They'd take fecal matter from both obese and thinner humans and put it in intestinal tracts of mice. Lo and behold, the mice that got the obese person's fecal matter got fat themselves, and opposite for the other mice. HUGE correlation.

saurkraut, kimchi and yogurt make daily appearances in my diet for that very reason.
    Fantastic! Same here.

So true.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    As frorider noted there's the "food-as-drug" aspect, and there's also a sizeable number of people who just DGAF.
    At what level of addiction do we stop expecting that common, simple will-power be the solution? I think the term "addiction" gets overused for lifestyle habits far too much. How many of those "food as drug" people truly want to change their diets for the better and are A-OK with being uncomfortable in the process? I think its the small minority. The harm is not immediately felt, but the tasty sugary 700cal snack is.

I live on the west coast in a super active area and i see sloth/gluttony all around me. I can only imagine how bad it is in the midwest and southeast.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    That was solo Don Henley, not the Eagles you twit.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so i was on a hut trip with 3 MD's one being the dean of medicine, they all did way more internal medicine than they did ski pow but I digress, I asked one of them if there is any medical reason why people become and remain fat ?

he said no

but I am sure the answer is >

so as you can see ... I did my reasearch
    If that's what you talk about on a hut trip remind me never to do one with you. ; - )

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That was solo Don Henley, not the Eagles you twit.

If that's what you talk about on a hut trip remind me never to do one with you. ; - )
    well I had already asked them if they had any good drugs so it was down to what makes people fat ?

I question you being a real engineer Every engineer should have the iHP48 app on their phone. Exact replica of the HP48G calculator. Can't write programs in it, but I use it all the time on site visits. Can't use a regular calculator as I'm a RPN guy and can't go back...

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    I question you being a real engineer Every engineer should have the iHP48 app on their phone. Exact replica of the HP48G calculator. Can't write programs in it, but I use it all the time on site visits. Can't use a regular calculator as I'm a RPN guy and can't go back...
    This guy gets it

Im also a WSU grad. the lack of basic math skills probably makes more sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Would you rather go on a hut trip with XXX and talk about obesity, or go on a hut trip with one of us engineers and talk about calculators? choose wisely.

I worked for an engineer who told me in school they would sit around drinking beer giggling and arguing about the square root of PI

That was before the HP48 came along. These days we giggle about even stupider shit--until we forget our phones.

Today I learned this a thing… and I downloaded it.

Switching gears here:

Friends texted that they would be in town and wanted to go to dinner. I know them, they are vaxxed so I said sure and made reservations. The place I picked is a owned by some good friends who are UBER Covid careful and they had to move things around to accomodate our party since it was last minute. That was last night. Just now I get this message from the people coming to town:

In the interests of full disclosure I should mention that since we left Denver we've been in Glenwood Springs, CO, Vernal, UT and here in McCall. Though we've been our usual careful selves, mask usage along the way has been less than even sketchy. We've had to eat indoors a couple of times as well. We're both vaxxed since late April. But if you're not comfortable we'll surely understand. We opted out of a music show recently because they didn't require proof of vax. Anyhow, there's our condition. Hopefully we'll see you tomorrow but if you're not comfortable we'll do it next time.
    Cheers!
    Ugh.

I wish they had told me this proir to the reservation because I can't in good conscious cancel now. A third party who was traveling from Tri-Cities to join us has been informed and she may cancel because she is due to travel to Bend next week and promised her friends she would take precautions.

I guess I'm just venting here but still............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well. I got sick the first time and only time I ate out after getting vaxxed. Maybe this time will be different.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism