Page 236 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 231 232 233 234 235 236 237 238 239 240 241 ... LastLast
Results 5,876 to 5,900 of 41810
    Talked to my mom the other day. She survived very aggressive breast cancer and then a bad case of encephalitis from West Nile Virus, that has left her in pain ever since. She is 80 and definitely in a high risk situation due to a compromised immune system. She has had a good life, but I hope she doesn't get this shit, as she told me to let her pass at home.
    Not shit any of us can do, but try and have a bit of compassion for those less fortunate then ourselves. I hope you all stay well.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I figured if anyone would have been hip to profiteering it would have been our health care industry.

Quote Originally Posted by The Artist Formerly Known as Leavenworth Skier View Post
    Can anyone explain why all the yellow mustard at the grocery store was gone, but there was plenty of stoneground and Dijon?
    Hot dogs. Kids like yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    curious what stage some of you are?
    Mine kinda went in a different order
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Talked to my mom the other day. She survived very aggressive breast cancer and then a bad case of encephalitis from West Nile Virus, that has left her in pain ever since. She is 80 and definitely in a high risk situation due to a compromised immune system. She has had a good life, but I hope she doesn't get this shit, as she told me to let her pass at home.
    Not shit any of us can do, but try and have a bit of compassion for those less fortunate then ourselves. I hope you all stay well.
    We also are starting to have conversations of what to do if either of our parents die from it. Not sure we will even still be allowed to go home and deal...we haven’t talked to them about it yet, though.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That was hilarious.

Rome is burning, people losing jobs, stock market shut down every day to slow crashes, people getting sick and some dying... and “um, shouldn’t we be concerned about offending people?”

We are losing our damned minds.
    your anti-"virtue signaling" is getting pretty damned tiresome, IMO. We get it, you think the global pandemic is not the time to practice standards of avoiding racism and avoiding calling other people out on racist things, we should just let people be extra racist because it's a pandemic, or just not notice or point out when they're even normal level racist. Got it. Message received.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Dumb Question here...

Lets say we all lock down for 30 days. We come back after 30 days and people mostly go about their normal routine, aren't we in the same place we were in February with very limited cases in the US and it starts spreading again and all we did was buy some time? Buying some time to make preparations will certainly help and save lives but I don't think we are mass producing hospitals or ventilators during this 30 day shutdown so what gives? There wont be a vaccine ready in 30 days.....

If we do what we are doing now, no skiing, WFH, no interaction with people for a year, we will have certainly flattened the curve but likely crippled the country.

"As life begins to return to normalcy, however, experts worry that there is still an underlying risk. There are worries that as soon as the expansive quarantine measures are lifted, China will be a hit by a second wave of infection, especially as the coronavirus is now a global pandemic and imported cases outnumber local ones."

Message received.
    Same message I received

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    I figured if anyone would have been hip to profiteering it would have been our health care industry.
    Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Highly recommended, powerful anti-viral and great for social distancing.

Attachment 320882
    Been eating a lot of garlic and juicing. Current favorite juice is ginger, beet, apple carrot with carrot being the most and ginger the least.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by VTeton View Post
    Dumb Question here...

Lets say we all lock down for 30 days. We come back after 30 days and people mostly go about their normal routine, aren't we in the same place we were in February with very limited cases in the US and it starts spreading again and all we did was buy some time? Buying some time to make preparations will certainly help and save lives but I don't think we are mass producing hospitals or ventilators during this 30 day shutdown so what gives? There wont be a vaccine ready in 30 days.....

If we do what we are doing now, no skiing, WFH, no interaction with people for a year, we will have certainly flattened the curve but likely crippled the country.

"As life begins to return to normalcy, however, experts worry that there is still an underlying risk. There are worries that as soon as the expansive quarantine measures are lifted, China will be a hit by a second wave of infection, especially as the coronavirus is now a global pandemic and imported cases outnumber local ones."
    Yes, that is part of the uncertainty and fear driving the economic collapse. Nothing really to be done right now but observe other countries, and how they are handling their curves, IMO.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Dumb Question here...

I need a victim to cough on me today and get this over with.

your anti-"virtue signaling" is getting pretty damned tiresome, IMO. We get it, you think the global pandemic is not the time to practice standards of avoiding racism and avoiding calling other people out on racist things, we should just let people be extra racist because it's a pandemic, or just not notice or point out when they're even normal level racist. Got it. Message received.
    So many words put in my mouth.
    I still call it The Jake.

Pointing out it's origin, or where people have identified that it spread from, isn't being "racist". Indicating that the wet-markets of China are seriously fucked up is not "racism". Not that you're saying it is, but just a point of clarification here.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    We have surpassed 200,000 cases, double the 100,000 as of March 6th.

So it took two weeks to double. Seemed like at the beginning of this, many were saying the cases would double each day, 80% of the world would be infected, millions would die. So far we are at 8,000 deaths.

I understand there are probably a ton of unreported cases, but can't imagine there are many unreported deaths. The article that I read with these stats tried to be all dramatic.."THE NUMBER OF REPORTED CASES HAS DOUBLED IN ONLY TWO WEEKS!"

If in another two weeks we are sitting at 400,000 cases and 16,000 deaths world wide, I would say we are doing pretty good containing it.
    Worldwide numbers which you're citing contain a bunch of fat tails aka outliers at the high end of rate of case spread and at the low end.

The median for countries with a high degree of international travel is 32%. The US, Canada, much of Europe is in that category

That is the number that's key. So far Canadian cases are doubling at a rate of every 3.6 days. The US rate is higher but I haven't checked the exact number

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    So many words put in my mouth.
    But not Hannity's...
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    I need a victim to cough on me today and get this over with.
    Wait until Japan rolls out the drug that helps mitigate the symptoms and shorten the time of illness. Then I am with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    But not Hannity's...
    Nope. Remember, we covered that a few pages back.
    I still call it The Jake.

I'm frustrated with my folks. They went to the store this morning to pick up cereal. Then the local bakery for some scones. I tell them I will pick stuff up for them and they just shrug and say they're okay.

They're depression era kids. They grew up under the threat of Polio. Their fathers beat Hitler and Tojo. Their moms worked in ammunition factories during the war. They lived for years in a steel mill town with a soviet nuclear bullseye on their homes. My mom birthed me during the Cuban missile crisis with my dad about to be called up from reserves. They look at this and shrug and say they've seen worse.

How the fuck do I tell them to take this shit seriously??

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Wait until Japan rolls out the drug that helps mitigate the symptoms and shorten the time of illness. Then I am with you.
    Why would Japan roll it out when our pharmaceutical companies are itching to provide something similar?

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Yes, that is part of the uncertainty and fear driving the economic collapse. Nothing really to be done right now but observe other countries, and how they are handling their curves, IMO.
    https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1...643357696.html

In reading the above, it sounds like we are in an 18 month social distancing/ WFH shutdown in order to find a Vaccine.....

No lift served skiing next season... Not that anyone will be thinking about that in 2021.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Pointing out it's origin, or where people have identified that it spread from, isn't being "racist". Indicating that the wet-markets of China are seriously fucked up is not "racism". Not that you're saying it is, but just a point of clarification here.
    I think you missed the part where BMills said it was funny that a WH aide called it Kung Flu to an asian american reporter.

you know how it's funny to put people in their place because what really matters is maintaining white supremacy in the face of any obstacle and not providing information that will actually help people.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    As of 0800 this morning, we as a FD are completely out of the small sized hand sanitizer we put on our trucks....
    My fd is almost out of N95s. Will soon be wearing scott masks with CBRNE filters on every ems run, PAPRs on symptomatic pts or those requiring als airway intervention.

Dumb Question here...

Lets say we all lock down for 30 days. We come back after 30 days and people mostly go about their normal routine, aren't we in the same place we were in February with very limited cases in the US and it starts spreading again and all we did was buy some time?
    No, not dumb. I'd say we're very likely to have a few rounds of this until there's a vaccine available and a good chunk of the world's population is inoculated.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    No, not dumb. I'd say we're very likely to have a few rounds of this until there's a vaccine available and a good chunk of the world's population is inoculated.
    that's how I understand it. Maybe a few more cycles of 2-4 week quarantines.