Page 1337 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1332 1333 1334 1335 1336 1337 1338 1339 1340 1341 1342 ... LastLast
Results 33,401 to 33,425 of 41810

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Looks like the A/C was on and windows were closed. Our gondola has the windows open all day. Hoping that has an impact as mentioned in this study - https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/7/1/eabe0166

However with our case rate being as high as LA County, maybe I shouldn’t be so sure of that.
    Frequency of air exchange, density of people, effective masks, whether people are coughing or sneezing, and whether people are talking or yelling all have been described as factors for deadly aerosols. If I needed to ride a gondola, I’d be wearing my 3-layer livinguard mask (or similar) during that time.

Linsey Marr has suggested people to get CO2 monitors if they want data about air exchange. The end of year “radiolab” explored this a little bit, and the CO2 levels were very high in a small passenger car with windows closed, but the levels went down very quickly when the windows were opened.

My current “favorite” is the people that habitually cough, especially in the winter, when entering a space with very different climate, like stepping into the grocery store on a cold and wet day. At least I’m telling myself that’s why they are coughing and am glad that they’re at least wearing a mask....

I’ve heard of carbon monoxide monitors - are there also carbon dioxide monitors?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    I’ve heard of carbon monoxide monitors - are there also carbon dioxide monitors?
    Apparently, yes. On the radio show, they said cost was a couple hundred. Portable. Google tells me that Marr has discussing this a lot since mid-summer. It’s a proxy to having data related to air exchange per hour for a closed space.

Section 9 of the great covid google doc discussed it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...h.6h07a0nxbdh7

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Apparently, yes. On the radio show, they said cost was a couple hundred. Portable. Google tells me that Marr has discussing this a lot since mid-summer. It’s a proxy to having data related to air exchange per hour for a closed space.

Section 9 of the great covid google doc discussed it: https://docs.google.com/document/d/e...h.6h07a0nxbdh7
    Interesting document - I was not aware there were consumer grade monitors for CO2 (but in this day and age I shouldn't be surprised) thanks for sharing

So someone with COVID walks into a room and sneezes (without a mask on) and then walks out.

CO2 readings look good. Do you feel safe in this scenario?

... Thom
    Galibier Design
    crafting technology in service of music

CO2 is a way of measuring exhaled air with a group in the room. Any numbers you're likely to find for targets assume the same people are in the space.

An excellent information site on Covid 19 vaccines from the New England Journal of Medicine.
    https://www.nejm.org/covid-vaccine?u...tm_content=cta

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    An excellent information site on Covid 19 vaccines from the New England Journal of Medicine.
    https://www.nejm.org/covid-vaccine?u...tm_content=cta
    Thanks for that.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Grim AF. The South Coast Air Quality Management District (SoCal) issued an emergency order suspending permit conditions that limit the number of cremations.

They can't burn the dead fast enough. The bodies are literally stacking up. Meanwhile I have an old college friend that was just admitted to LAC/USCMC and got a bed.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/01/18/us/ca...rus/index.html
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

PPP money went to anti-vax groups
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...-anti-vaccine/

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    appalling yet somehow not surprising.
    swing your fucking sword.

So, this has been brought up somewhere in here before.

Does the 1st world need to keep paying for the production of vaccine until every human being who wants a dose gets one?

MEXICO CITY — In the past few weeks, Britain and the US have watched with relief as their citizens began getting vaccinated against COVID-19 — but across much of Latin America, Africa, and large parts of Asia, the news has been met with a mixture of resignation and anger.

For many people in the developing world, there is still no light at the end of the tunnel.

These countries are struggling for access to the long-awaited vaccines after wealthy countries reserved enough doses to inoculate their populations several times over.

“International solidarity needs to grow,” Martha Delgado, the Mexican official in charge of negotiating the country’s vaccine contracts, told BuzzFeed News. Echoing concerns across the developing world, she warned that there will be no end to the global pandemic until everyone has access to the vaccine. She wants the US and other Western countries to think outside their own borders and their immediate needs. “No one will be safe until everyone is vaccinated,” she said.
    IMO, yes, we do.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

We've been buying the world polio vaccines for a while and if we could just convince a few holdouts to take them we could stop. So that's a good goal. On the other hand, given the existence of said holdouts, is there really a problem with demonstrating that selfish rich assholes all want the vaccine and willingly pay to have it first? I feel like that messaging might help alleviate a few problems, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    So, this has been brought up somewhere in here before.

Does the 1st world need to keep paying for the production of vaccine until every human being who wants a dose gets one?

IMO, yes, we do.
    Red China is stepping up to the plate, big time. While the US argues about stupid shit and descends into chaos, China will vaccinate the world and become the next superpower. Bank on it.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Red China is stepping up to the plate, big time. While the US argues about stupid shit and descends into chaos, China will vaccinate the world and become the next superpower. Bank on it.

I read somewhere that Canada had purchased enough vaccine doses to vaccinate their population 5x over and were donating the excess to other countries. That seems pretty nice.

Moderna and Pfizer are probably not suitable for underdeveloped countries. As conventionally refrigerated vaccines, especially if they are single dose, come on line I would think those would go more to 3rd world countries, especially if their efficacy is lower. A case could be made that the US at least should be favored for vaccine because we have fucked up so badly controlling the pandemic and no one wants us exporting all that virus.

Of note--I believe all current childhood vaccines and adult virus vaccines are multiple dose. A few adult bacterial vaccines are single dose.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I read somewhere that Canada had purchased enough vaccine doses to vaccinate their population 5x over and were donating the excess to other countries. That seems pretty nice.
    Yes, but they are sending it to countries that have strong hockey teams so they have someone to play.
    They are SO transparent.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

and the MJ grows freerange on all the freeway dividers, man
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

New variant observed in California:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...RaU4df_X8SvEgk

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    They're like "Sorry! So sorry we got too many!! Apologies all around!!! Why don't we just share, eh?"

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    New variant observed in California:

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...RaU4df_X8SvEgk
    There are likely loads of different variants circulating in the US, since WE'RE #! USA USA USA!!!!1!11!

...it's just that we're kinda behind the curve on defining alla them by doing the in-depth sequence analysis on a widespread epidemiological basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    ...it's just that we're kinda behind the curve on defining alla them by doing the in-depth sequence analysis on a widespread epidemiological basis.
    Yep. sucks.

Newshour today mentioned that the federal stockpile of vax that was being released never existed....

Quote Originally Posted by Tri-Ungulate View Post
    They're like "Sorry! So sorry we got too many!! Apologies all around!!! Why don't we just share, eh?"
    Oh, so you read the same article.

Meanwhile our new Guvnor(sic) is making the moves required to "Open back up".
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post

China already is a super power.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Helping out the developing world is something countries do to serve themselves. It strengthens ties and builds diplomacy. Look at all the contracts China is getting for precious metals (things needed for modern computing) all over Asia and Africa. That’s no accident. They’re setting themselves up as the dominant world power in the 21st century.

If we had thought beyond our immediate needs, we’d be doing the same thing. They are also taking trillions and investing in their own infrastructure, something we’d be able to do, say, if we cut back military spending and increased domestic infrastructure spending by the same amount.