Page 28 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I have a yearly travel insurance plan that covers just about every contingency including hospital stays, medical evacuations, evacuations from war zones via armed security forces and little things like trip delays and lost luggage.

I've used it a few times over the years and won't travel without it. Bag lost when attending a conference in Bali? No prob, I can go buy new stuff and they cover the costs while having a concierge call/email me every couple hours about the status of my bag while simultaneously hounding the airline to get it to me (exact same thing happened to me in Barcelona another year).

Puking my brains out and unable to keep down water while in Sydney? I call a hotline and an hour later a doc shows up to my hotel with Rx meds. Did the same thing in Amsterdam, except they called ahead to a clinic a block from my hotel.

GF unable to keep down fluids while in Lima? Less than an hour later a Mercedes shows up and whisked us away to an expat hospital where an English speaking doctor was waiting for us.

Connecting flight in Tokyo cancelled because weather? Cool, I'll expense a 5 star hotel to the insurance company and have a per diem for food in addition to the one my company provides.

I dont think there has been a year in 5+ years of having the policy that it hasn't paid for itself and then some.

It's nice not to ever have to worry about dealing with third world medical systems or a medical evac that can easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, but the convenience factor for smoothing out normal travel BS makes it worth it by itself.
    Which plan do you have?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Yes this plan sounds amazing please let us know where you got it from.

But could you cancel a whole trip (or cruise) just on a whim and claim it? Or in this case claim trip cancellation because you didn’t want to risk getting covid or something like that? Like you don’t have a medical illness but you just don’t want to go.

I guess you could always ask a doctor to write you a letter saying they dont recommend you travel to this area but in what pretense - the travel insurance company could request a diagnosis to support that or even medical records.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Which plan do you have?

It's an unadvertised yearly business travel plan from Travelguard. You have to call to purchase it as far as I know. It's an exceptional value at ~$300 and you can use it even when you are not traveling for work.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Yes this plan sounds amazing please let us know where you got it from.

But could you cancel a whole trip (or cruise) just on a whim and claim it? Or in this case claim trip cancellation because you didn’t want to risk getting covid or something like that? Like you don’t have a medical illness but you just don’t want to go.

I guess you could always ask a doctor to write you a letter saying they dont recommend you travel to this area but in what pretense - the travel insurance company could request a diagnosis to support that or even medical records.
    No, you definitely cannot cancel a trip for no reason. You need to have some documentation that you or an immediate family member is sick/dying/dead to get reimbursed for a cancelled trip.

I believe in order to cancel for no reason you'd need a single trip policy and not a year long policy.

No, you definitely cannot cancel a trip for no reason. You need to have some documentation that you or an immediate family member is sick/dying/dead to get reimbursed for a cancelled trip.

I believe in order to cancel for no reason you'd need a single trip policy and not a year long policy.
    Right makes sense. Which leads me back to my earlier speculation that some of these cruisers may have continued with their bought and paid for trip because they couldnt cancel without losing that money - and they just crossed their fingers that the boat didn’t turn into a virus factory.

I have a yearly travel insurance plan that covers just about every contingency including hospital stays, medical evacuations, evacuations from war zones via armed security forces and little things like trip delays and lost luggage.

I've used it a few times over the years and won't travel without it. Bag lost when attending a conference in Bali? No prob, I can go buy new stuff and they cover the costs while having a concierge call/email me every couple hours about the status of my bag while simultaneously hounding the airline to get it to me (exact same thing happened to me in Barcelona another year).

Puking my brains out and unable to keep down water while in Sydney? I call a hotline and an hour later a doc shows up to my hotel with Rx meds. Did the same thing in Amsterdam, except they called ahead to a clinic a block from my hotel.

GF unable to keep down fluids while in Lima? Less than an hour later a Mercedes shows up and whisked us away to an expat hospital where an English speaking doctor was waiting for us.

Connecting flight in Tokyo cancelled because weather? Cool, I'll expense a 5 star hotel to the insurance company and have a per diem for food in addition to the one my company provides.

I dont think there has been a year in 5+ years of having the policy that it hasn't paid for itself and then some.

It's nice not to ever have to worry about dealing with third world medical systems or a medical evac that can easily cost hundreds of thousands of dollars, but the convenience factor for smoothing out normal travel BS makes it worth it by itself.
    Wow. That’s cool. What’s the company?

Air ambulance insurance is cheap. People need to think more about buying that stuff when they go over seas, and especially to the third world.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I heard some twit complaining how the US Ambassador should be visiting them all.

But, but, we’re Americans Damn it!

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Wow. That’s cool. What’s the company?

Air ambulance insurance is cheap. People need to think more about buying that stuff when they go over seas, and especially to the third world.

i have www.internationalsos.com through my work.

Japanese infectious disease expert commenting on Princess Diamond. Basically they have no infection control, that's why cases rise every day
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtHYZkLuKcI
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

The one time I used my travel insurance it covered about 2K worth of unused Hobbs time on an AK heli trip. I'm surprised I could get away with that one but apparently it happens all the time. It's in the heli company's info packet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    I heard some twit complaining how the US Ambassador should be visiting them all.

But, but, we’re Americans Damn it!

I heard Trump was sending Marie Yovanovich.

Not to put too fine a point on it, the use of exotic animals for delicacies and for traditional Chinese medicine appears to be the root cause of novel coronaviruses like SARS and SARS-CoV-2. Unless China and the rest of Southeast Asia permanently bans the practice these periodic outbreaks will just keep happening.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Not to put too fine a point on it, the use of exotic animals for delicacies and for traditional Chinese medicine appears to be the root cause of novel coronaviruses like SARS and SARS-CoV-2. Unless China and the rest of Southeast Asia permanently bans the practice these periodic outbreaks will just keep happening.
    That and the appalling lack of personal hygiene, plus the number of people living and working in close vicinity.

Wait I thought it was bats. No, snakes.

There are certain animals that are more prone to being reservoirs or intermediary for higher threat zooninosis.

Someone probably cut their hand around 100 years ago butchering a chimp for food and that was the genisis of HIV jumping to humans.

Pigs and fowl for influenza... Including probably some pig in a Kansas farming community in 1918 being the source of the 1919 H1N1 paninfluenza.

Birds in Asia for various 20th century paninfluenzas.

Bats, or monkeys exposed to bats, in Africa causing repeated Ebola outbreaks.

Camels and MERS.

Something exposed to Bat's then to humans for SARS and COVID.

History is replete: Anthrax in sheep and cattle, TB in milk cows, plague in rodents vectored by fleas.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

so you're saying it's like DSM and annoying threads?

...but without egg roll and extra duck sauce.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

... and no fuckin

If that shit gets to N Korea........ewe lordy
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Only applies to dirty Chinese animals, I can keep eating American squirrel right? It's in my Mom's Joy of Cooking
    https://www.smithsonianmag.com/arts-...1878-95428350/

you realize a squirrel is just a rat with a good publicist ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you realize a squirrel is just a rat with a good publicist ?
    Speaking of publicists, here's the CDC on "Mexican" Swine Flu
    https://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/qa.htm

First detected in Americans, suspected origin in pigs.

Perhaps our two brothers in Abraham (Muslims and Jews) are right about unclean animals. Unless United States and the rest of North America permanently bans the practice these periodic outbreaks will just keep happening.

Tree rats is what we call them but in a crock pot with carrots, onions and taters...
    watch out for snakes

Thought occurs. Is the current H1N1 the same as swine flu H1N1?

As much as china makes a great punching bag, they did extinguish SARS, the last disease that originated there. The US did not do the same for H1N1. I'm hoping China, as well as the other affected countries, succeeds against Covid-19.

To date, we should be doing more to identify cases and get them to quarantine and treatment. It's a crime to let the Westerdam be banned from multiple ports, and end at Cambodia, a country least able to manage this disease. It's a crime to bar entry to Americans leaving the Diamond Princess. We need to be seeing that all possible cases, anywhere in anyone, are being found and treated. Supplies, medical staff, and leadership should be freely dispatched anywhere needed.

The current world approach is dragon-dancing on that loaded avalanche slope, throwing our Chinese New Year firecrackers. Tempting fate