Page 1153 of 1250 FirstFirst ... 1148 1149 1150 1151 1152 1153 1154 1155 1156 1157 1158 ... LastLast
Results 28,801 to 28,825 of 31245
    Don't know if this was posted, but good big picture read.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...winter/616204/

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

I wish someone would have warned us about virus resurgence in the fall.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post

ďArmy ants will sometimes walk in circles until they die. The workers navigate by smelling the pheromone trails of workers in front of them, while laying down pheromones for others to follow. If these trails accidentally loop back on themselves, the ants are trapped. They become a thick, swirling vortex of bodies that resembles a hurricane as viewed from space. They march endlessly until theyíre felled by exhaustion or dehydration. The ants can sense no picture bigger than whatís immediately ahead. They have no coordinating force to guide them to safety. They are imprisoned by a wall of their own instincts. This phenomenon is called the death spiral. I can think of no better metaphor for the United States of Americaís response to the COVID-19 pandemic.Ē

And the chief pheromone emitter iiiiissss

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    ^^^

Snork.

Funny thing, though. May be a little early, but that Flu/Covid double hit isn't happening. No flu.

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Funny thing, though. May be a little early, but that Flu/Covid double hit isn't happening. No flu.
    Thatís because a lot of people are wearing masks and following other mitigation guidelines. Seasonal influenza isnít nearly as contagious.

Thatís because a lot of people are wearing masks and following other mitigation guidelines. Seasonal influenza isnít nearly as contagious.

Well, it is the Daily Mail, but, some are speculating that the Corona virus is actually crowding out the flu virus.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...illed-flu.html

Let's do some livin'
    After, we die

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    It's become fairly clear that our office here will never go back to full remote. It was actually a pleasant surprise to the owners when the governor shut office doors temporarily. Switching to remote was easier than expected, and now they had much lower utility bills, maintenance bills, etc. while not seeing much of a decrease in productivity from their employees. They themselves are older, and welcome the idea of having fewer in-person interactions when managing their business. My boss, who is in line to take over the company when they retire, has been enjoying the extra time she now has with her kids.

And now that more of the workforce has had sufficient time under pandemic conditions, a lot people have had time to readjust their lives. And a lot have found positive aspects to working from home that will carryover into a post-pandemic world. I mean, the amount of time that some of my rural-living coworkers have gotten back from not having to commute are ridiculous. Fuck long commutes in a state like MT, especially if it's for a job than can be done at home if-needed. Leave the roads a little less clogged for those that actually have to drive them.

My point here is that the effects of covid have impacted all levels of American businesses. It's forced those in charge to implement changes (like WFH) that otherwise never would have implemented on a company-wide scale.

It's a genuine paradigm shift.
    IBM support people started working from home probably 25 yrs ago and the stogy mother corp has stuck to that model, HW or SW the people take a call from the que and handle it just like they would in a cube except the company wasnt paying for that RE, i got a buddy doing SW just up the road on the way to the bike area & ski hill
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    "Low dose aspirin reduces death and complications from Covid."

That's not how it works and that statemen is inaccurate. The only way one could prove this is through a randomized controlled trial. At this point aspirin is correlated with reduced deaths and complications although I'd like to read the paper to confrm this (which wasn't linked in the story?).
    Here's a link to the abstract. https://journals.lww.com/anesthesia-...sed.95423.aspx
    Maybe someone here with access to journal full text can post a link to it. Hard to make much from the abstract. While it's not a RCT it does seem like reasonable evidence of a benefit, although certainly not a huge benefit.

I haven't seen anyone mention in Australia in this thread recently, but was just looking at the stats and that country has only had 123 new cases in the last week. Compare that to about 477,000 new cases in the U.S. On a per capita basis that's about 5 per million in Australia and 1,454 per million in the U.S. And they are now heading into summer. This shit is just embarrassing.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I haven't seen anyone mention in Australia in this thread recently, but was just looking at the stats and that country has only had 123 new cases in the last week. Compare that to about 477,000 new cases in the U.S. On a per capita basis that's about 5 per million in Australia and 1,454 per million in the U.S. And they are now heading into summer. This shit is just embarrassing.
    I was talking to a few Aussies the other day, and another guy who lives in MX (non tourist part). They both said that people in both countries are blown away at how badly it has been handled in the US. Australia is way more locked down than us. They stopped travel between territories and are just starting to reopen. MX of course is dependent on where you are, but people are still shocked that the US is sucking so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    1922 cases in CO yesterday. Thatís almost 3 times the summer peak!

And found out this morning that my dad has COVID. 76 years old with Diabetes. Hasnít listened to my warnings this whole time. F- this.
    Hope he gets through it quickly. It's gonna be a stressful week or two depending on the course it takes. My in-laws made it through mainly on the steroids + some antibiotic treatment. It sucks not being able to do much from the outside.

Zoom/Teams blow goats but not nearly as much as all that goes with getting up and going to an office.

Definitely a paradigm shift. People that were skeptical or completely against remote work are now the biggest cheerleaders. A huge portion of the population became Zoom savvy overnight. Lots of previous hurdles and hesitations wiped away.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Iím one who still drives in to the office every day.

I have nothing to complain about. My office is big and new, and the floor that Iím on has fewer than one person per thousand square feet. I rarely have visitors and those I work with I interact with via zoom or IM, even if theyíre in the same building.

I could do that from home very easily, but my boss has decided that we need to foster a sense of community that he feels is lost when we arenít all together in the same buildings. Iím really hopeful that paradigm shift catches up to us soon....

Itís starting to get ugly out there. I feel incredibly fortunate. I have a friend who need to be transported to a larger hospital after a serious fall, but canít find one that will take him due to COVID crowding. This thing doesnít have to kill everybody to kill a lot of people, directly and indirectly.
    focus.

Utah set to ratio care. Fucking failure to allow this to happen: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/...navirus-cases/

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    1922 cases in CO yesterday. That’s almost 3 times the summer peak!

And found out this morning that my dad has COVID. 76 years old with Diabetes. Hasn’t listened to my warnings this whole time. F- this.
    29 in W2 (583 statewide).

Sorry to hear about your Dad - best to you both!
    ďWhen you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Utah set to ratio care. Fucking failure to allow this to happen: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/...navirus-cases/
    What happens if the governor doesn't sign off on the criteria?
    According to the article it sounds like they feel they're about 2 weeks away from actually implementing the rationing criteria.

Good read

I think your best hope is Biden and Fauci
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Maybe we should ask Elkhound Odin if his wife signed off on this.

Cats out of the bag, our only hope is personal responsibility and patience
    Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    I think your best hope is Biden and Fauci

Thanks for posting that. Should be required reading.

Maybe we should ask Elkhound Odin if his wife signed off on this.

I think we all need to know what ICU she works at and make sure to avoid it.

Moviní to Montana soon?

Hats off to Maine

ďHow Straight Talk Helped One State Control COVID
    Nirav Shah directs Maineís response, which is seeing impressive results despite risk factorsĒ

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-control-covid