Page 987 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 982 983 984 985 986 987 988 989 990 991 992 ... LastLast
Results 24,651 to 24,675 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    LOL!!! Good one!
    Yes, I'm over-optimistic about our ability to follow success elsewhere
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Random pondering/question:

I wonder if the pandemic will fuel home remodels and/or change plans for new builds to included more office and/or school room space.
    Sourdough starter proofing rooms and wood fired backyard ovens are big in my area now.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Random pondering/question:

I wonder if the pandemic will fuel home remodels and/or change plans for new builds to included more office and/or school room space.
    feeling mortal I got my will done so I asked L Hutz esq if Covid was driving people to get their will done he said that mostly family law is busy
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    That's a scary number, but I don't see it on that page. I see 69% concerned about infection, 87% concerned about economy, and 58% think Trump is blowing it. And a breakdown on Trump by party.
    My mistake - the 57% number was from memory and now stale-dated

"Over half of Americans with a conservative news media diet (57%) believe COVID-19 is no more deadly than the seasonal flu, compared with 36% who have a mixed news diet and 28% with a liberal news diet. "

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/gall...lity-flat.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It might help, but it's not everything. If the virus is out there people are going to get infected and universal healthcare isn't going to stop it.
    yeah so if there is more of a plan than fucking people over and every man for himself maybe the universal HC is not needed and so far it has not .

From what I understand there was a pandemic plan and Trump shit canned it,

so you got a child running the country for 4 years whats the worst that can go wrong ... a pandemic?

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    so you got a child running the country for 4 years whats the worst that can go wrong ... a pandemic?
    Some kind of major war would be worse, but a pandemic is right up there.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    ...is there really much different between say, BC and Washington State?
    ^^^only edited your post for scrolling real estate

I've pondered the same questions, and one of the first things that pops into my head is that metro Seattle / Pugetopolis has considerably greater population density than greater Vancouver / lower mainland (almost 4 million over almost 5900 sq miles vs almost 3 million over 14,000 square miles). The same goes at the state/province level: WA 103 people/sq mile vs BC 13 people/sq mile. Simply put, if the virus arrived from Asia on the same day at SEA and YVR airports, it would face more geographical impediments in BC than in WA.

Second (and obviously) the province of BC controls every aspect of public health. There are no significant private stake holders/players that have any power. In WA, there's the government, and then there is the health industry. So even if the government's policy was sound (it was), the health industry is by its very nature exclusionary. It's tough to control a pandemic when a good chunk of the people are on the other side of the rope.

Third, it isn't political in BC. People there might like/hate their elected reps as much as anyone else in the world, but that feeling doesn't extend to non-elected government experts. Dr Bonnie Henry is regarded as a hero in BC (and rightly so), whereas Dr Fauci is getting death threats (in large part due to the actual fucking president cannibalizing the federal government). I had never once seen an anti-Inslee bumper sticker until covid.

And even if it is a little political in BC, politics are nowhere near as toxic as they are in the US. The two party system, plus the partisan media, plus the demonstrably false notion of American exceptionalism, mixed with the asinine next civil war/rise up against tyranny myths, keep the proles frothed into a lather of infighting. Anything I don't like is the other's fault. Meanwhile, one party's raison d'etre is to dismantle government, and their Supreme Leader is an orange psychopath.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    yeah so if there is more of a plan than fucking people over and every man for himself maybe the universal HC is not needed and so far it has not .

From what I understand there was a pandemic plan and Trump shit canned it,

You Canadians ought to be thanking us for experimenting how far out on the wire a country can go before this shit destroys it. When Covid-20 starts over in China this fall, we'll all know how far we can push it thanks to the goddamn US of fucking A. Instead you're bitching about everything.

I'll bet everyone thought the first fucking Asian dude who said "Hey, look at that ice bridge over there! Let's cross it and see what's on the other side" was considered crazy. Had it not been for that guy, nobody would have known about Canada for another 20,000 yrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    You Canadians ought to be thanking us for experimenting how far out on the wire a country can go before this shit destroys it. When Covid-20 starts over in China this fall, we'll all know how far we can push it. Instead you're bitching about everything.

I'll bet everyone thought the first fucking Asian dude who said "Hey, look at that ice bridge over there! Let's cross it and see what's on the other side" was considered crazy. Had it not been for that guy, nobody would have known about Canada for another 20,000 yrs.
    yeah that was my cousin eh and he said it was a land bridge

Pretty sure that guy would've been happy if it hadn't been "discovered"

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post

The two party system, plus the partisan media, plus the demonstrably false notion of American exceptionalism, mixed with the asinine next civil war/rise up against tyranny myths, keep the proles frothed into a lather of infighting. Anything I don't like is the other's fault. Meanwhile, one party's raison d'etre is to dismantle government, and their Supreme Leader is an orange psychopath.
    But but but we have lots of choices of sodas and fast food joints here. So we are winning!

And we make lots of cars and trucks and RVs here. Freedom with a side of ranch dressing

^^^only edited your post for scrolling real estate

I've pondered the same questions, and one of the first things that pops into my head is that metro Seattle / Pugetopolis has considerably greater population density than greater Vancouver / lower mainland (almost 4 million over almost 5900 sq miles vs almost 3 million over 14,000 square miles). The same goes at the state/province level: WA 103 people/sq mile vs BC 13 people/sq mile. Simply put, if the virus arrived from Asia on the same day at SEA and YVR airports, it would face more geographical impediments in BC than in WA.

Second (and obviously) the province of BC controls every aspect of public health. There are no significant private stake holders/players that have any power. In WA, there's the government, and then there is the health industry. So even if the government's policy was sound (it was), the health industry is by its very nature exclusionary. It's tough to control a pandemic when a good chunk of the people are on the other side of the rope.

Third, it isn't political in BC. People there might like/hate their elected reps as much as anyone else in the world, but that feeling doesn't extend to non-elected government experts. Dr Bonnie Henry is regarded as a hero in BC (and rightly so), whereas Dr Fauci is getting death threats (in large part due to the actual fucking president cannibalizing the federal government). I had never once seen an anti-Inslee bumper sticker until covid.
    your public health people get abused they are quitting I guess just like slowing the testing down brings down the number of cases getting rid of public health proffesionals will fix the public health problem ?

meanwhile Bonnie Henry is highly praised they write songs and poems, the Gitxsan have given her an indian name which is a great honor and she even has a shoe deal

https://globalnews.ca/news/7138329/d...al-exhibition/

Pretty sure that guy would've been happy if it hadn't been "discovered"
    If anybody should be bitching it should be the sabre tooth tigers and giant sloths, not XXX, Gary and LeeLau.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

"Over half of Americans with a conservative news media diet (57%) believe COVID-19 is no more deadly than the seasonal flu, compared with 36% who have a mixed news diet and 28% with a liberal news diet. "

That poll hits me right in my "confirmation bias" - education
    Importantly, education is strongly associated with this misperception about the coronavirus. Americans with a four-year college degree are about half as likely as those without one to say the coronavirus is no more deadly than the seasonal flu. This effect holds across partisan lines and suggests that education offers individuals a set of tools to navigate a challenging information environment and distinguish between truth and falsehood.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeLau View Post

The 57% figure doesn't surprise me. The 28% figure does. It should be much lower.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xcxt7gUCgKY

Agree or disagree that Jared fucked up everything he's touched?
    FIFY
    and agree

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    FIFY
    and agree
    Could you imagine working for the guy? One, he is obviously a vampire of some kind. Secondly he probably does nothing but has a team of graduates actually trying to make things happen and he occasionally comes along searching for his daddy praise.

Regarding positivity rate between US and Singapore, US total tests 62,963,258, positive 5,012,294, so 12.56% positive rate. Singapore 1,474,372 total tests, positive 54,555, so positivity rate 27.03%. Wouldn't this suggest that in reality, Singapore is doing a much worse job than US of finding all the true positives in the population (which, in turn, would make Singapore's true death rate even lower)?

I have read that Washington's initial outbreak can be traced to China where as NY from Europe. WA (Kirkland, Seattle, Snohomish County) was initially one of the epicenters of the outbreak in N America and while in appears BC is doing much better than WA today, WA and Oregon are actually doing much better than the majority of the US. My guess is mask compliance in Seattle is equal to that in Vancouver. I think what Canadians who post here don't seem to realize is how much different WA and Oregon are compared to the rest of the US. WA and Oregon are much more similar in every aspect to BC than to any of the southern or central US states. We have our outliers, but overall we have a high trust in our State government, and federal government before Trump took over. We lack social cohesion with, say, Alabama, but we have strong social cohesion within our state, particularly the urban areas where the majority of our population lives. The US is just a much larger, much more diverse (politically) country than Canada. That is why it appears to the rest of the world that we all hate each other.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Regarding positivity rate between US and Singapore, US total tests 62,963,258, positive 5,012,294, so 12.56% positive rate. Singapore 1,474,372 total tests, positive 54,555, so positivity rate 27.03%. Wouldn't this suggest that in reality, Singapore is doing a much worse job than US of finding all the true positives in the population (which, in turn, would make Singapore's true death rate even lower)?
    Huh?
    Did pure gravity teach you math? (or I'm not getting what you are aiming for...)
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

He should have divided. Instead he multiplied.

Alta, no biggie, just divide the result twice by the amount you multiplied by.

Huh? Divide small number by big number multiply with 100. E voila percent.

He did it the other way round and found out that 1.4mil is 2700% of 54k
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

I do suck at math, and had a 2 year old on my lap. That's why I include numbers rather than just spitting out conclusions. It appears US positivity is 8% versus 4% for Singapore. Does this sound right? So this suggest Singapore is doing a better job of finding true positives than US (as a whole). As of July 28, Washington State's positivity rate was 5.7%

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Some kind of major war would be worse, but a pandemic is right up there.
    We still have a few months....at least.

And for the math challenged, like me, you can view 7 day moving average positivity rates for all US states here:

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/testing/...ual-states/usa

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    Huh? Divide small number by big number multiply with 100. E voila percent.

He did it the other way round and found out that 1.4mil is 2700% of 54k
    Or just take the square root.