Page 946 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 ... LastLast
Results 23,626 to 23,650 of 41810

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    .Another interesting tidbit. What was the death rate from pneumonia and influenza in 2018? Across the entire USA it was 15 per 100K population. Same as Texas is now. It is regrettable, but did we shut down the country for that? How about in 2005, when the death rate was much worse?

I’ll be glad to revisit this post in two weeks or two months or whenever.
    so you knew how this was all going to work out at the beginning ?

How many deaths would there have been if nothing was done ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Lawyer daughter who showed horses. Affluenza mixed with standard crazy.
    Umm, you just insulted KQ.

Quote Originally Posted by getoutside
    ^^^ jfc you've had a solid 4 months and the result is no plan. our district doesn't even offer A/B days. just like back to normal, packed in classrooms like sardines just hoping kids wear masks. who's going to teach these kids after a month or two? teachers are scared and rightfully so.
    You can certainly tell the difference between businesses which were forced to put safety practices in place quickly to stay afloat vs. schools which did not. Teachers are justifiably worried about returning to in-person teaching, but there's really no excuse for districts not having their act together by now.

Quote Originally Posted by east or bust View Post
    Right? The thing that really gets under my skin and pisses me off is that the impending shit storm is completely avoidable. Obviously some districts and socioeconomic areas are better equipped for remote schooling than others (like the public schools where all the kids get ipads, yes those do exist). But that‘s where the department of education should have been active in establishing the districts that needed the help and provide the funding where necessary.

The real disservice to BLM is all this time and energy spent on canceling fucking Uncle Ben’s rice and Aunt Jemima instead of making sure those kids have a place to safely learn in the fall.

/endrant
    You really think Betsy DeVos wants public schooling to succeed? This is the perfect foil for her to demonstrate how private schools are superior. The GOP is all about wrecking anything the government runs so that their pals can find a way to profit.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums

Not sure why people keep saying the death rate spikes two weeks after infection.
    Two weeks is about the time (14 days) it takes to isolate if you think you may have been infected and want to make sure you don’t get someone sick.

People that get sick have been taking weeks or months to die.

Current global infected: 15,235,957
    Current global dead: 623,656
    Current global recovered: 8,638,103

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    You really think Betsy DeVos wants public schooling to succeed? This is the perfect foil for her to demonstrate how private schools are superior. The GOP is all about wrecking anything the government runs so that their pals can find a way to profit.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    This. X1000000000000000

Better said...

Do you really think the teachers unions, the federal, state & districts give half a shit about the education of our kids unless there's money attached to it?

Quote Originally Posted by Deebased View Post
    Better said...

Do you really think the teachers unions, the federal, state & districts give half a shit about the education of our kids unless there's money attached to it?
    Yes, I do.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Yes, I do.
    Same. Of course they do.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Same. Of course they do.
    Out of 8 people in my family, four are educators (public school). Of course they fucking do. Who TF gets into education for the money? That’s like getting into coal mining for the health benefits of exercise.

The Frank Bruni piece a few pages back didn't get the traction it should have. Good commentary.

Don't confuse educators with administrators. There's plenty of money to be made in schools, don't forget the obvious benefit of taking 3 months off every summer.

We're one of, if not the best funded school system in the world and we peaked in the 70's from a quality perspective.

Some introspection into 50 years of failure is warranted.

3 months off. Hahaha.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Don't confuse educators with administrators. There's plenty of money to be made in schools, don't forget the obvious benefit of taking 3 months off every summer. .
    yeah so easy ! except for the part where you have to show up and teach kids
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Isn’t it COVID-20 yet?
    Bill Gates hasn't released it yet. The lockdowns delayed the beta development.

Don't confuse educators with administrators. There's plenty of money to be made in schools, don't forget the obvious benefit of taking 3 months off every summer.

We're one of, if not the best funded school system in the world and we peaked in the 70's from an quality perspective.
    I will agree on this last point that, of all things, we should fucking understand how to educate kids on the basics by now & for some reason we are constantly shifting on how to do it and failing with regularity. The only thing that seems to work is family wealth and a parental focus on educating their kids; it seems to be the only reliable marker of success

Let’s look at the “death rate” (deaths per 100K). Texas must be a real mess, right? It is currently 15 per 100K population. How does that compare with other states? Must be in the top ten, right? No? Top 20? No? Oh, here it is, number 33.

Another interesting tidbit. What was the death rate from pneumonia and influenza in 2018? Across the entire USA it was 15 per 100K population. Same as Texas is now. It is regrettable, but did we shut down the country for that? How about in 2005, when the death rate was much worse?

I’ll be glad to revisit this post in two weeks or two months or whenever.
    Many people argued social distancing was a waste of time because we'd all end up at the same place with the same number of deaths no matter what, that all the deaths were inevitable and herd immunity was the only solution. We now know that argument was wrong.

Delaying deaths made it possible to come up with better Nonpharmaceutical Interventions and better hospital treatments. Even though hospitalization rates are now back at the April peak when the death rate was much higher, the death rate today is lower:

- Ventilator use is better understood and patients kept on their stomachs have better survival rates

- We are doing a better job protecting the vulnerable. Now it's proportionately more young people infected

- Mask use is up which can either prevent infection or lower virus dose

- Dexamethasone reduces deaths and is now a part of treatment regimens across the world

- Severely ill patients treated with remdesivir are 62% less likely to die

- There are many vaccines candidates in the pipeline

- Death rates are likely lower in part due to a seasonality effect

A person could still argue the costs of social distancing exceed the benefits but people began social distancing before any government mandates. Countries with less restrictive mandates also saw a similar drop off in GDP as their stricter neighbors.

The death vs non-death stuff is kind of irritating. The adverse effects of even mild cases is yet to known. Just because to don’t die right off, there are possible long term consequences we don’t fully understand.
    I hope I am wrong, but we just don’t know for sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I will agree on this last point that, of all things, we should fucking understand how to educate kids on the basics by now & for some reason we are constantly shifting on how to do it and failing with regularity. The only thing that seems to work is family wealth and a parental focus on educating their kids; it seems to be the only reliable marker of success
    Maybe part of it is the anti-intellectual bent that seems to be increasingly prevalent in this country.

@Skiball

Nah man, you're wrong. It's just the flu.

Does the anti-intellectual bent legislate schools take learning time away from the basics?

There's plenty of stupid shit being taught but other than a few southern school districts it isn't some weird conservative voodoo.

Does the anti-intellectual bent legislate schools take learning time away from the basics?
    So what exactly is being taught now that's taking time away from the basics? Seems to me the basic problem is that kids either pay attention and try to learn or they don't, not really the content.

There's plenty of stupid shit being taught but other than a few southern school districts it isn't some weird conservative voodoo.

could you please provide some actual examples of the "weird conservative voodoo" ?

signed,
    Curious
    TGR forums cannot handle SkiCougar !

Another interesting tidbit. What was the death rate from pneumonia and influenza in 2018? Across the entire USA it was 15 per 100K population. Same as Texas is now. It is regrettable, but did we shut down the country for that? How about in 2005, when the death rate was much worse?I’ll be glad to revisit this post in two weeks or two months or whenever.
    How about revisiting this post in March when we can actually compare 1 year of flu deaths with 1 year of COVID deaths? You and your ilk need to quit comparing a year of numbers to 4 months of numbers. Also, you and your ilk should quit combining flu deaths and pneumonia deaths in one year to compare against, again, only 4 months of COVID deaths. 2 illnesses that we see regularly and know how to treat =/= 1 illness the likes of which we haven't seen before. This isn't that hard. Or are you just deliberately obstinate and obtuse?