Page 874 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 869 870 871 872 873 874 875 876 877 878 879 ... LastLast
Results 21,826 to 21,850 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I saw that this morning. Holy shit.

Grazia!

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    I'll drop it over in the "Whatchoo Cookin'" thread as well as this one: https://www.urbancheesecraft.com/pag...ple-mozzarella
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Crazy. People still don't realize they can infect others. Was this preventable or inevitable? Could more decisive leadership have saved this man?

He posted his regrets over attending a party in California. The next day, he died of coronavirus

(CNN)A Southern California man who tested positive for coronavirus after attending a party expressed his fear and regret a day before he died.

Thomas Macias, 51, went to a barbecue last month near his community in Lake Elsinore, about 70 miles from Los Angeles.

Shortly after the party, he started feeling sick. On June 20, he posted a poignant message on Facebook to warn his loved ones about the risks of the virus, his family said.

"I went out a couple of weeks ago ... because of my stupidity I put my mom and sisters and my family's health in jeopardy," he wrote. "This has been a very painful experience. This is no joke. If you have to go out, wear a mask, and practice social distancing. ... Hopefully with God's help, I'll be able to survive this."

He never made it. He died a day after that post.

A friend attended the party while sick

Macias worked as a truck driver and suffered from diabetes, making him especially vulnerable to the virus. Doctors have said people with underlying conditions such as diabetes, chronic lung disease and asthma are at a higher risk.

Before the barbecue, he had barely gone out, his brother-in-law Gustavo Lopez told CNN. But he was incredibly social and was feeling isolated, and decided to visit his friends when the state lifted some restrictions, he added.

"Everywhere he went he made friends instantly," Lopez said. "He was missing his friends and missing his family. So as soon as they lifted some of the restrictions he felt free and he unfortunately went to this get-together to be with his friends and then this was the result."

A friend who was at the party reached out to Macias to say he had coronavirus, and he was aware of the diagnosis when he attended the gathering but didn't think he could infect anyone because he had no symptoms, Lopez said.

"Our understanding is that a gentleman had called him and said 'hey I was at the party, I knew I was positive. I didn't tell anybody,'" Lopez said. "I think the gentleman was regretting not telling everybody, and he was calling people who were at the party to recommend they get tested."

Macias was upset but blamed himself for the error in judgment, even using his Facebook post to warn friends about the dangers of the virus. About a dozen people who attended the party tested positive, Lopez said.

Macias got tested on June 15, got his positive result June 18 and died June 21. The Riverside County Office of Vital Records confirmed that he died of coronavirus.

Riverside County has over 18,000 confirmed coronavirus cases and about 460 deaths. It has the second-highest number of cases in the state after Los Angeles County.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Exposure news is a bit misleading and probably more click bait for the thirsty COVID apocalypse chicken little folk.

I mean if someone went to Target and then tested positive later that day or week, health officials will ask where they were.

Target is notified and looks at the data and says 763 people were in the store that day.

763 exposures!!!! Call the Twitter. Shocking. But in reality how many of those exposures lead to infections?

Big Headline numbers.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    If I owned that store I'm not sure I'd risk that ultimatum.

This seems like a problem to me: my county (and it seems like the state of CA), are saying “do not gather socially.” A blanket statement. The county even goes as far as to say, “no picnics.” But if one dives a little bit into media publications or twitter accts of subject matter experts, you can see their more nuanced approach to having picnics and being a part of other outdoor social events while mitigating risks. This seems to be feeding the dissent because it’s taking things to an extreme.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Exposure news is a bit misleading and probably more click bait for the thirsty COVID apocalypse chicken little folk.

I mean if someone went to Target and then tested positive later that day or week, health officials will ask where they were.

Target is notified and looks at the data and says 763 people were in the store that day.

763 exposures!!!! Call the Twitter. Shocking. But in reality how many of those exposures lead to infections?

Big Headline numbers.

It's more about the moron principals having an in-person meeting.

We have a confirmed case in my office. He just let everyone know he'll be back in the office for work on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    True. But I’m assuming they were masked (it’s San Fran)

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    We have a confirmed case in my office. He just let everyone know he'll be back in the office for work on Monday.
    Fuck everything about that

Yeah, it's suboptimal. I'm playing the waiting game to see if I get end up getting sick. The last time I interacted with his was last Thursday.

He was coughing all last week but claimed he felt fine, then called in sick Monday saying he had a high fever and no energy to get out bed all weekend. They had a company come in to disinfect the entire office on Tuesday. Yesterday the guy who was sick sent an email saying he was unsure about when he would be able to resume working in the office, but as of today, it's miraculously "game-on" Monday at 7:00am.

Is Monday 72 hrs past his negative COVID test?

If so who cares, they have to come back to work at some point.

Is Monday 72 hrs past his negative COVID test?

If so who cares, they have to come back to work at some point.

It looks like he got a positive result sometime between Sunday over the weekend, based on the progression of events. My money is on him not being able to generate a negative test result before Monday.

It looks like he got a positive result sometime between Sunday over the weekend, based on the progression of events. My money is on him not being able to generate a negative test result before Monday.
    Well then fuck that asshole.

New form of coronavirus spreads faster, but doesn't make people sicker, new study says
    From CNN’s Maggie Fox

A global study has found clear evidence that a new form of the coronavirus has spread from Europe to the US. The new mutation makes the virus more infectious but does not seem to make people any sicker, an international team of researchers reported Thursday.

The mutation affects the spike protein — the structure the virus uses to get into the cells it infects. Now the researchers are checking to see if this affects whether the virus can be controlled by a vaccine. Current vaccines being tested mostly target the spike protein.

The study, published in the journal Cell, confirms earlier work suggesting the mutation had made the new variant of virus more common. The researchers call the new mutation G614, and they show that it has almost completely replaced the first version to spread in Europe and the US, one called D614.

“Our global tracking data show that the G614 variant in Spike has spread faster than D614,” theoretical biologist Bette Korber of Los Alamos National Laboratory and colleagues wrote in their report. “We interpret this to mean that the virus is likely to be more infectious,” they add. “Interestingly, we did not find evidence of G614 impact on disease severity.”

What this means: This could be good news, said Lawrence Young, a professor of medical oncology at the UK’s University of Warwick, who was not involved in the study. “The current work suggests that while the G614 variant may be more infectious, it is not more pathogenic. There is a hope that as SARS-CoV-2 infection spreads, the virus might become less pathogenic,” he said in a statement.

About the study: The team tested samples taken from patients across Europe and the US and sequenced the genomes. They compared these genome sequences to what’s been shared publicly. Comparing these sequences helped them draw a map of the spread of the two forms.

“Through March 1, 2020 the G614 variant was rare outside of Europe, but the end of March it had increased in frequency worldwide,” they wrote.

Even when the D614 form had caused widespread epidemics, in places such as Wales and Nottingham in England, as well as in Washington state, G614 took over once it appeared, they found.

“The increase in G614 frequency often continues well after stay-at-home orders are in place and past the subsequent two-week incubation period,” they added.

The new version seems to multiply faster in the upper respiratory tract — the nose, sinuses and throat – which would explain why it passes around more easily, the researchers said. But tests on 1,000 hospitalized coronavirus patients showed those infected with the new version did not fare any worse than those who caught the original strain.

Other mutations often go along with the G614 mutation, but it’s not clear what effect they have. “The earliest sequence we detected that carried all 4 mutations was sampled in Italy on Feb. 20,” they wrote. “Within days, this haplotype was sampled in many countries in Europe.

The G614 mutation can be neutralized by convalescent serum – the blood product taken from people who have recovered from a coronavirus infection, the researchers said.

“But it will be important to determine whether the D614 and G614 forms of SARS-CoV-2 are differentially sensitive to neutralization by vaccine-elicited antibodies or by antibodies produced in response to infection with either form of the virus,” they added.

More work is needed, of course, to solidify the findings and to see what the changes mean for the epidemic and for patients, the researchers said.

^^^ I swear that story is at least a month old.

Well then fuck that asshole.
    yes, fuck that guy.

A good live test for reopening schools, and the risks involved.

If we get serious about suppressing the virus today, we could knock down prevalence 90% or more by Sept 1. Based on Wuhan, Italy, Europe, NYC, New Jersey, Montana, etc. Economy will run much better with school open, and minimal, declining covid infections.

Herman Cain, yes that Herman Cain, hospitalized for Covid-19.....Ten days after attending Trump rally in Tulsa.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    If I owned that store I'm not sure I'd risk that ultimatum.
    A lot easier to press charges on a naked belligerent dude (or lady) than a simply maskless belligerent dude (or lady).

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    A good live test for reopening schools, and the risks involved.

If we get serious about suppressing the virus today, we could knock down prevalence 90% or more by Sept 1. Based on Wuhan, Italy, Europe, NYC, New Jersey, Montana, etc. Economy will run much better with school open, and minimal, declining covid infections.
    If we get serious....ugh, just doesn’t seem to be in the cards.

I'm back home after getting my first shot for a vaccine in Albuquerque yesterday. I get a booster bump in a couple weeks, which would probably correspond to the timetable of getting sick after probably being exposed on a 737 full, and I mean full, of Texicans out of DFW last night, wedged into a middle seat between two dudes whose noses were hanging out of their masks. 50% of young people in the airport in Dallas had no masks. I went out to get something to eat a couple nights ago in Dallas and saw packed bar/restaurants with nary a mask in sight. I'm sure hoping this vax works.

They must all have been Antifa protesters to act like that.

edit to add: Talking with a flight attendant in back of the plane, she said American Airlines has said a few hundred flight crew have contracted COVID but all the crews believe the airline is probably copping to only a tenth of the real number.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I'm back home after getting my first shot for a vaccine in Albequerque yesterday. I get a booster bump in a couple weeks, which would probably correspond to the timetable of getting sick after probably being exposed on a 737 full, and I mean full, of Texicans out of DFW last night, wedged into a middle seat between two fucking dudes whose noses were hanging out of their masks. 50% of young people in the airport in Dallas had no masks. I went out to get something to eat a couple nights ago in Dallas and saw packed bar/restaurants with nary a mask in sight. I'm sure hoping this vax works.

They must all have been Antifa protesters to act like that.
    At least they picked the right place to test it?

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    The county required the in person meeting. Professionally, there was no choice. OTOH, I think I would have told them I’d call in, and risk my job.

For a county that has managed this thing quite proactively and intelligently, that sure was a dumb requirement.