Page 697 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 692 693 694 695 696 697 698 699 700 701 702 ... LastLast
Results 17,401 to 17,425 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Well that settles it then. It's all been a farce. Fine. I'm sick of it. Was in town today to pick up mother's day flowers and chocolate and there were people everywhere congregating, goofing around, sitting on benches and no masks except for me. I'm done caring. . This is how the Whitehouse wants it. Que sera sera
    The power of anecdotal evidence is strong. You look around and see healthy people, so just assume there's not really much of a problem. It's exactly the kind of thinking that made this thing a global pandemic in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It reminds me of when seat belt laws first went into place. There were lots of people who refused to wear a seat belt and it never made sense to me. You're in a fucking car sitting in a seat. It's not like you're moving around a lot and just can't be constrained by a seat belt. Some people just cannot accept being told what to do, no matter how much sense it makes.
    Good analogy. I still see dumb fucks without seat belts. Mostly white trash, Mexican, and of course kids. Some of it is education and a lot of it is attitude. It permeates to the youth. You only hope that the kids are brave enough to realize that the people they should be rising against are their own parents and not the government. Like kids getting their own vaccines.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    It reminds me of when seat belt laws first went into place. There were lots of people who refused to wear a seat belt and it never made sense to me. You're in a fucking car sitting in a seat. It's not like you're moving around a lot and just can't be constrained by a seat belt. Some people just cannot accept being told what to do, no matter how much sense it makes.
    Same with helmet laws (motorcycle, but does apply to others to some degree.)

Just plain senseless not to wear one.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

The sons of the dads that wouldn't wear seat belts are the people who won't wear a mask. Or a seat belt.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    I do have life insurance. A hefty policy. In fact, the sad thing is through all of this, I've become so goddammed depressed with things that I've realized I'm worth far more $$$ wise dead than alive. If it weren't for the fact that my family needs me, I maybe would've given up by now. I wouldn't mind succumbing to teh COVIDS, but alas. I fear it won't do jack to me. Meh. What can ya do?

Been meaning to start a new thread specifically about COVID related depression so I'll reserve my rant on that for another day. I'm fairly sure I'm not alone on this one these days. Sure, I've dealt with bouts of immense sadness throughout my life with its inevitable ups and downs, but something about seeing our society being transformed for the worse right before my very eyes has me in some serious doldrums. I've seen war, and this all feels far, far worse for some reason. Of course, being a dad and a husband, I have to keep that pretty bottled up. Thankfully I have you all to open up to, so I really do appreciate that. Seriously. Even you, Hut. We may have our disagreements, but I know we'd be chums IRL even if I am a big smack talker. Hopefully we'll ski together one of these days.
    Hang in there, mang. First step, stop watching the news, be it Fox, CNN, or Facebook feeds. It's not for people with even a slight bit od depression, or even listening to a lot of blues...it will get you down. I don't think things in general are nearly as bad as you think. Society will change, but it will not fall apart. awe have been through much, much worse, Civil war, Spanish Flu, two world wars. Some individuals will have a hard time, and ai don't mean to down play your struggles, but whether you agree or not we have a social safety net, all be it flawed in this country. People like me and many on this board push for it even against many conservatives who prefer to rely on bootstraps.

I have been where your at now at, though probably not as dire, persevered and now am in a position to try and keep this economy going. Common sense dictates I preserve capitol and wait and see (while hoarding TP and yeast), but we have chosen to spend fairly freely and have supported many business who we have been happy with in the past in the hopes they will be present in the future.

Ask a simple question of your wife and kids, are you worth more to them alive or dead? Regardless of how much life insurance you have, I have no doubt they will choose you. If I have come down on you hard in this thread, I apologize. You have always seemed to be a pretty level head (even if wrong) conservative, and I have no doubt I would enjoy sharing a few beers and a few laps. As I have said many times to people on here who I disagree with, I will happily buy the rounds.

(That said, there are a few really asshole here, but you aren't one of them.)

Be tough, but don't be afraid or too proud to ask for or receive help. We are in this together. My Grand parents were immigrants who suffered greatly during the Great Depression, my mother nearly froze to death one cold night in Detroit. My Grandfather literally took a Detroit civil servant by the collar demanding a bit more coal to keep his family alive. Its a tough world, we all sometimes need a little help.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Wow this is some proposal..what you all figure? They'll settle somewhere around half that proposal?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jimwang...-of-americans/
    The Emergency Money for the People Act
    Name:  humanfund.jpg
Views: 1959
Size:  113.3 KB

From Tom Nichol's twitter regarding his thoughts on protestor's view of freedom:

This is how Americans now interpret freedom: Not as a political condition in a democratic society, but as a constant chant of "you're not the boss of me." This is not freedom, or at least not freedom in any political sense. It's a child-like understanding of autonomy.

In "The Death of Expertise," I wrote that people reject expertise as a kind of shout of autonomy, a way of saying that no one can tell them what to do. Thinking adults once understood that this is not the same as "freedom." But we are all about self-affirmation now.

This is what happens when people believe that "freedom" means "telling everyone no," whether it's at work, or at a doctor's office, or in a group activity of any kind. It's a stage toddlers go through, but they grow out of it. This is permanent childhood.

And yelling "no!" at experts and public safety officials is empowering. But only in the sense children understand power: The raw ability to defy someone else. It's not in any way about citizenship, which is how adults balance group obligation and individual freedom.

The protesters demand this empowerment, but without any consequent responsibility. Adults would say: "I accept this risk." Children say: "Let me do what I want and if things go bad, it's not my fault and you have to help me anyway." They just want all this to go away.

"Find me someone to blame, pay me for the harm this pandemic has caused me, and don't tell me about any of my obligations to make sure the human or financial costs don't get worse. Just make *me* whole, and let the other kids worry about whether they're getting a cookie."

So, be thankful for the adults around you wearing masks, staying in, working with the public at risk to themselves in an ER or even just manning a cash register at the grocery store. Citizens are adults, and we have to get through this despite the overgrown children among us.

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    Miller gets my vote. Jarred is a pretty boy who just fucks thing up. Miller is pure evil that actually sets policy.
    Yah. Miller gets curb stomped, softly but for at least 45 minutes. The Kush gets butt raped by an elephant, just once.

The virus is hunting Trump though. It's trying to get there.

Poliasseratingtoextremesforpostsesescountoutsideof thepoliassesbaditshomesforthethousandsisisistimese s.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    almost to the exhaust port. you're all clear kid.

As I have said many times to people on here who I disagree with, I will happily buy the rounds.
    The Pope is awesome and the world would can not succeed without religion and God loves you like his own child. Is that enough?

When will you be at Mammoth next?

Please, please.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    The Pope is awesome and the world would can not succeed without religion and God loves you like his own child. Is that enough?

When will you be at Mammoth next?
    That might be worth the first beer, but you are going to have to try harder then that for a second round. Disagreeing about what ski or binder is best doesn't count.

I will be in Mammoth as soon as a few intelligent people saw it is a reasonable option again.

iscariot

I never truly wish death on anyone, but a bad case of COVID-19 and a few weeks on a ventilator might do the country a world of good. In fact it might do the whole world a world of good (especially if Pence is in the next bed.)

iscariot

Moved to Poly Rat Flu cesspool....
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 05-10-2020 at 08:08 AM.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wow

True “character” of people coming out...not that it’s surprising with most.

Git over it, Karen.

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Oh c'mon. Don't mistake Saturday night and I'm stuck at home jabbering for people's IRL character. It's just noise. It is kind of a pain though to wade through it to find the nuggets of actual information--I've learned a lot from this thread, although probably not 17K posts worth.

Same with helmet laws (motorcycle, but does apply to others to some degree.)

Just plain senseless not to wear one.
    Meh. Freedom for a victimless crime.

Cry me a river about societal costs of crash victims. Not wearing a helmet makes them more likely to be donor cycles.

Odd how all the libertarian muh freedom arguments that get weed legalized, failed to stop the government banning menthol cigarettes.
    I guess Karen smokes weed. And hates black people.
    . . .

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    I stated smokin newports
    been cuttin back a bit on the nic intake
    kinda surprised the wu flu aint kicked us buttsmokers asses harder
    im wearing a seatbelt on occasion in other than 4x4 white knuckle canyon driving and my luddite ass has been trying to be betters bout coresponance and keeping I touch with friends.
    hang tough asa shoot me a pm if theres sumthins I can do for a fellow vet to help ya out
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Fuck that, I would like for him to die, frightened and alone in bed feeling like an elephant is sitting on his chest and he cannot possibly get another breath. 75K Americans would probably agree.

But I am just an alias.
    Death defeats the purpose. Maybe, just maybe when the elephant gets off his chest he will learn a little humility and empathy.

Naw, probably not, he will still be an asshole.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by KenJongIll View Post
    Sorry if I offended you bubby, I was 6 beers deep when I posted that. I will move it to the Rat Flu Polly edition. As for my character or lack thereof, the past 3 years have done that.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Finally making it safe for Karyn

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-05-10 at 10.17.44 AM.png 
Views:	110 
Size:	936.3 KB 
ID:	328000
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime