Page 1319 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1314 1315 1316 1317 1318 1319 1320 1321 1322 1323 1324 ... LastLast
Results 32,951 to 32,975 of 41810
    Yep. I signed up for the Pfizer trial at U of I (not accepted I assume because I am white and 49 and they had enough of me) but am reluctant to sign up for the new trial they are running.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yep. I signed up for the Pfizer trial at U of I (not accepted I assume because I am white and 49 and they had enough of me) but am reluctant to sign up for the new trial they are running.

I guess if I were young and healthy and not likely to get a proven vaccine for 6 months I might sign up for a trial. But one of the arguments the US is making about the AZ vaccine is that they did't include enough old sick people in the trials. I could see, though, old people getting the vaccines proven to work for them while the young healthy get a vaccine tested only in them during the roll out.

Maybe we could use anti vaxxers for the control. They are already double blind. Hard to control for stupid though.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    OG and Summit do you guys have a take on the single vaccine shot strategy being forwarded by some and ?supposedly? being contemplated by the cdc?

The idea would be to vaccinate more people and give up a little efficacy. When more vaccine becomes available than demand give the second shot then.

In light of the new strain that is 55% more transmissible some 'experts' are said to be warming up to the idea?

Saw this line of thought on twitters yesterday but have been too busy to dig deeper. Can't find anything with quick searches.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/01/01/w...f-vaccine.html

Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, told CNN on Friday that the United States would not follow Britain’s lead in front-loading first vaccine injections, potentially delaying the administration of second doses.

Britain announced a plan this week to delay second shots of its two authorized vaccines, developed by Pfizer and AstraZeneca, in an attempt to dole out to more people the partial protection conferred by a single dose.

“I would not be in favor of that,” Dr. Fauci told CNN’s Elizabeth Cohen. “We’re going to keep doing what we’re doing.”

His opinion was met with approval by some experts, including Dr. Eric Topol, a clinical trials expert at the Scripps Research Translational Institute in California, who tweeted, “That’s good because that it’s following what we know, the trial data with extraordinary 95 percent efficacy, avoiding extrapolation and the unknowns.”

While clinical trials tested the efficacy of second doses delivered three or four weeks after the first, British officials said they would allow a gap of up to 12 weeks. Such delays have not been rigorously tested in trials. The Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, for instance, was shown to be 95 percent effective at preventing Covid-19 when administered as two doses, three weeks apart.

Straying from this regimen “is like going into the Wild West,” said Dr. Phyllis Tien, an infectious disease physician at the University of California, San Francisco. “It needs to be data driven if they’re going to make a change.”

Widening the gap between vaccine doses could risk blunting the benefits of the second shot, which is intended to boost the body’s defenses against the coronavirus, increasing the strength and durability of the immune response. In the interim, the protective effects of the first shot could also wane faster than anticipated.

“We don’t really know what happens when you only have one dose after, like, a month,” said Natalie Dean, a biostatistician at the University of Florida. “It’s just not the way it was tested.”

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    I can't remember if I posted this here or not, but with nearly 33k posts in this thread already, if I'm repeating myself it's probably not a big deal...

A friend of mine was feeling sick a couple weeks before Christmas. He assumed it was Covid, but decided not to bother getting tested. After a few days he took a turn for the worse and went to the hospital. Within hours he was on a vent struggling for life. Was tested multiple times in the hospital for Covid and came back negative every time. It took the doctors a long time to really determine what was up. Turns out he had an undiagnosed heart valve issue and it caused bacterial pneumonia. He had surgery to correct the valve issue and finally starting getting better. Ended up spending three weeks in the hospital, 19 days in ICU.

Just goes to show you that the repercussions of this go beyond just people who have Covid.
    We had a lot of that sort of thing over the summer and fall. After things cooled after the initial onslaught of spring. People afraid to come to the ER or delaying treatment ended up coming in much, much sicker than they might have earlier.

It's still happening, and just helping to strain the system even more.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

well yer in america so how many people delay coming to the hospitol cuz they got no HC ?
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Splat, were you both wearing masks when you carry him in?
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    And idea how long you test positive after all symptoms are gone?

I'm at 19 days after infection and still tested positive

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    It can be for a while afterwards. Some of my wife's family wer around each other in the same house for a six day períod while in their town visiting. A few days later one of them had to go to the ER for something unrelated and was tested as a matter of course and found positive. We're assuming she didn't pass it to anyone else because she had had it for a while and was past the point of contagion.

Whoa, cases are near an all-time high, and 8% of those cases are in Los Angeles County; we can't be smug about what dumb maskless bumpkins they are in the Dakotas any more (granted, densely populated places like LA county, or months ago, greater NYC, are at a natural disadvantage for a highly contagious disease). We're holding our own at moderate infection rates in the Bay Area, at least, so far; and Tahoe-Truckee numbers aren't so bad either, despite being a traveler magnet.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    well yer in america so how many people delay coming to the hospitol cuz they got no HC ?
    well, yeah, that too.

but people that would have otherwise come to the ER despite no coverage delayed coming in as well as people who are covered.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

Mask mandates are not the answer to the pandemic

Doug Kamerman Jan 1, 2021

I am writing this letter in response to one submitted by Tim Conlan and others. I do intend to make my voice heard, but it won’t be in favor of the mask mandate. I completely agree with Gov. Gianforte and the sentiment that Montanans are capable of making the right decisions for themselves and their families.

Contrary to what Mr. Conlan states, the data does not agree with the assertion that mask mandates work. In a study from rationalground.com done on all 50 states, between May 1 and Dec. 15, mask mandates have been shown to be an abject failure. The study shows that states with mask mandates have a case rate of 27 per 100,000 per day, whereas states with no mandate have a case rate of 17 per 100,000 per day. At best this shows that mask mandates simply don’t work, and at worst it shows them to be completely counterproductive.

I find great irony in Mr. Conlan’s statement that “God didn’t lay down the 10 suggestions for a reason.” The equivocation of God and government is the very root of the problem. As we as a society become more and more dependent on government to solve our problems, we squeeze God, whose commandments make sense, out of the picture, in favor of the “all powerful” government.

As has been proven time and again in this pandemic, government can not, and should not be expected to be able to control this virus. Neither mandates, nor lockdowns nor any other draconian measures that various governments have tried to implement, have been able to stop this virus. The only thing these measures have succeeded in doing is conditioning us to willingly lay down our freedoms and God given rights.

Doug Kamerman

Manhattan
    Doug Kamerman is a dairy farmer when not dabbling in public health.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

It's people like him that make me look around at the dystopian shithole that is the United States in 2021 and think "we deserve all of this."

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Doug Kamerman is a dairy farmer when not dabbling in public health.
    At least he knows to stay away from poultry. Confusing chickens and eggs is best left to the RJ's of the TRGs.
    A woman came up to me and said "I'd like to poison your mind
    with wrong ideas that appeal to you, though I am not unkind."

farmers ^^ are usually god heads even up here

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Whoa, cases are near an all-time high, and 8% of those cases are in Los Angeles County; we can't be smug about what dumb maskless bumpkins they are in the Dakotas any more (granted, densely populated places like LA county, or months ago, greater NYC, are at a natural disadvantage for a highly contagious disease). We're holding our own at moderate infection rates in the Bay Area, at least, so far; and Tahoe-Truckee numbers aren't so bad either, despite being a traveler magnet.
    "Moderate infection rates in the Bay Area." A great example of how our relative standards change. In the one month of December, Bay Area deaths are roughly equivalent (per capita) to deaths in the Wuhan disaster. By case count, the Bay Area added 90k cases, more than all of China's entire pandemic. The frog's water pot is boiling.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    farmers ^^ are usually god heads even up here
    It's quite miraculous the way things grow. Tiny seeds become giant plants ready for harvest in mere months. While a farmer tends his crops or animals, the tending is mere tinkering, most of the miracle is baked in.

OTOH, farmers should also have a good sense of unmitigated disease spread.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    It's quite miraculous the way things grow. Tiny seeds become giant plants ready for harvest in mere months. While a farmer tends his crops or animals, the tending is mere tinkering, most of the miracle is baked in.

OTOH, farmers should also have a good sense of unmitigated disease spread.
    Heh. First is isolation, then culling the infected herd/crop, usually followed by some form of fallow. Strange they aren't drawing any parallels.

As for christianity and farmers, the churches figured long ago farmers had the land wealth, served a critical need of the masses, and none breed like a pious farming family. The Church has always invested in the long game.

You don't have to tell me, the BV is home to the Christian Heritage Party

IMO Canadians on the whole are a rather secular lot

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    "Moderate infection rates in the Bay Area." A great example of how our relative standards change. In the one month of December, Bay Area deaths are roughly equivalent (per capita) to deaths in the Wuhan disaster. By case count, the Bay Area added 90k cases, more than all of China's entire pandemic. The frog's water pot is boiling.

Wait until they see the stats for Miami-Dade.

"I completely agree with Gov. Gianforte and the sentiment that Montanans are capable of making the right decisions for themselves and their families"

That right there is the problem. When you're making decisions about Covid you're not just making decisions that affect yourself and your family. But what do you expect in a country where showing any concern for the welfare of other people is derided as "virtue signaling". It's not just that people don't care about others; it's that they actively oppose caring about others.

The site he links his "information" from is amazing. Basically we are all pussies and Covid is < than the flu. https://rationalground.com/

Name:  https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_1f6d6a20-1.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  91.5 KBName:  EpQGvgyUwAETwp2.jpg
Views: 1573
Size:  44.5 KBName:  https___bucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com_public_images_3e22180d-c.jpg
Views: 1623
Size:  78.3 KB

The fact that people still argue that they have the "Right" to spread disease and infect others is absolutely insane,
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

So, I'm watching Bloomberg today, and a hedgie comes on, doing predictions, like they all do this time of year. He was really optimistic about the economy and market, because he thinks that, get this, in four to six weeks, when all the at risk are vaccinated, it will be ok to open the economy, since this is, statistically, not that lethal to the younger population. He thinks the government (whoever that is) won't publically say this, because they dont want people to relax more than they have. He seemed to be a very sensible person, aka, not tinfoil crazy.

The anchor was like, whoa, what, four to six weeks?? Which I think is stupid fast, too. But, still, I'm intrigued. What does everybody think? Could we open up once everyone, say, over 60 is poked, along with all front line workers? It sort of makes sense to me.

^^^ sure it’s not as lethal but I don’t want to catch it like some 30 and 40 year olds I’ve heard about, who are going to be dealing with heart and lung issues the rest of their lives.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    So, I'm watching Bloomberg today, and a hedgie comes on, doing predictions, like they all do this time of year. He was really optimistic about the economy and market, because he thinks that, get this, in four to six weeks, when all the at risk are vaccinated, it will be ok to open the economy, since this is, statistically, not that lethal to the younger population. He thinks the government (whoever that is) won't publically say this, because they dont want people to relax more than they have. He seemed to be a very sensible person, aka, not tinfoil crazy.

The anchor was like, whoa, what, four to six weeks?? Which I think is stupid fast, too. But, still, I'm intrigued. What does everybody think? Could we open up once everyone, say, over 60 is poked, along with all front line workers? It sort of makes sense to me.
    Hedgies and financial types are often shit at things that involve logistics as they often assume other things can move as fast as them and their money.

I definitely don't want to catch it either but I think the guy has a point that once healthcare workers and vulnerable populations are vaxxed, things will have to start opening up. I'm hoping my kids schools can go back to full time in person after spring break. Pipe dream?

20 million confirmed cases... doesn't that mean 200 million actual cases by the CDC's estimate of 10x the confirmed cases? 200 million Americans is more than half the population.

From the reddits about England's variant
    Centre for Mathematical Modelling of Infectious Diseases London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine:

https://cmmid.github.io/topics/covid...in_England.pdf

Pre-print study looked at google movement data by area compared to lineage transmisibility, it finds additional transmisibility not explained by differences in lockdown observation between areas. Tldr; all the areas of the uk broke/observed the lockdown about the same, yet the areas where the new virus variant is prevelent registered much high case increases.

If you read the imperial report (42) you can see that furthermore almost every area without the new variant saw flat or falling cases during the November lockdown, whereas areas with the new variant predominant saw increases and very steep increases at that.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/mrc-globa...cov-2-variant/

Tldr; people kinda did follow the lockdown rules at least enough that without the new variant we saw quite a steep reduction in the rate of new cases - except in areas where the new variant was predominant which saw a very significant rise in cases.