Page 1219 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 ... LastLast
Results 30,451 to 30,475 of 41810
    10% of all COVID-19 cases reported in Nevada since the beginning of the pandemic were reported in the last seven days.

Saw a good idea the other day that I think the government should adopt once saner heads are running the place next year. Feds should pay people $1,500 to take one of the vaccines as part of a bonus stimulus plan.

Get your shots and get $1,500 would make a lot of anti-vax and potential anti-vax folks think a little bit harder about their ideological positions when there's cold hard cash on the line.

Quote Originally Posted by puregravity View Post

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Does that apply to essential workers who have not tested positive going to work? Seems unsustainable.
    There are mitigative strategies for exposed asymptomatic critical workers that balance risk. Lots-o-algorithms and revisions. The constant push between IP/ID and HR with OH in the middle. What I see is working out well mostly.

North Dakota would be an example of shit going south.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Saw a good idea the other day that I think the government should adopt once saner heads are running the place next year. Feds should pay people $1,500 to take one of the vaccines as part of a bonus stimulus plan.

Get your shots and get $1,500 would make a lot of anti-vax and potential anti-vax folks think a little bit harder about their ideological positions when there's cold hard cash on the line.
    Pfizer gets paid $20/dose but Jenny McCarthy gets paid $1500 to take it?
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

That would be cheaper than paying people $500 per week to test negative. Which would be cheaper than anything we've done so far

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Pfizer gets paid $20/dose but Jenny McCarthy gets paid $1500 to take it?
    You’re worried about the drug companies making money?

There’s a country song in there somewhere^

Imho, the approach of having your temp taken everywhere would be a great help.
    Quick temp scans to enter all kinds of public spaces....
    It’s not a magic bullet, but just catching anyone with a fever and denying those people access to mingling would be an awesome move.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    It’s not a magic bullet, but just catching anyone with a fever and denying those people access to mingling would be an awesome move.
    Some people with Covid never have a fever. Like a large portion of them.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Yes. Some idiot is probably going to reply to you and say it won't catch everyone because a lot of people who catch it don't get a fever. That's an idiotic response. Every case that is caught and isolated is one less infection source. Just like masks aren't 100% effective. It's all about the aggregate. So yes, temp checks to enter buildings.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Yes. Some idiot is probably going to reply to you and say it won't catch everyone because a lot of people who catch it don't get a fever. That's an idiotic response. Every case that is caught and isolated is one less infection source. Just like masks aren't 100% effective. It's all about the aggregate. So yes, temp checks to enter buildings.
    People are infectious for up to 2 weeks. Fever generally lasts only a few of those days. It would be overly burdensome for businesses to implement while not really doing anything. Would it help? Yeah, slightly. As much as distancing and masks? Not even close. There's a reason it hasn't been fully implemented many places.

I had kinda settled on flying or train riding being somewhat low risk, but not totally risk free.
    This story from New Zealand puts that to the test from a flight from Dubai to NZ with 4 infected passengers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...-flight-covid/

The caveat being that it was an 18-hour plane ride. Shorter hops of 5 hours or less may carry less risk, but the long-haul routes just seem prone to transmission at this point.

(Also, if getting Jenny McCarthy to stfu about vaccines for only $1,500, I declare that government money well spent.)

^^^

I would chip in 5 bucks to never have to listen to her ever again. And I would go 10 bucks to Kennedy.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

There are mitigative strategies for exposed asymptomatic critical workers that balance risk. Lots-o-algorithms and revisions. The constant push between IP/ID and HR with OH in the middle. What I see is working out well mostly.

At the request of the survivors, the names have been changed. Out of respect for the dead, the rest has been told exactly as it occurred.
    (Thanks for answering my question.)

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Besides the fact that many of the infected have no fever, or any other symptoms, those that do have a fever are sick enough that very, very few are out and about. There are places where temp screening makes sense because people are highly motivated to go there even if sick--I'm thinking of airports--but for the most I think temp screening is a waste of effort and money. It's safety theater. Yes, temp screening will once in a great while pick up a case and save spread--but the money spent on temp screening will prevent more cases if spent elsewhere. Widely available rapid tests for example. Even if a rapid test picks up only half the positives that's a lot more cases than temp screening will catch.

If i had a business i would check the temperature of people coming in, it's not that hard and if it saves one of my employees from getting sick?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ahem. About those patients taking covid denial to the grave.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-covi...l-as-they-die/
    Yeah I had trouble believing it when I read it and that was without doing research. Too over the top but yanno sometimes life is weirder than fiction.
    Last edited by KQ; 11-21-2020 at 09:40 PM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Trump's pet poodle Dr. Atlas is advising people to invite elderly relatives to T-day because it might be their last..... and you know, to possibly ensure it will be.
    "But wait - that's not all... Have a big Thanksgiving celebration this year, and we'll throw in a small funeral in December absolutely free!"

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This is a good point to remember, particularly as we approach vaccine approval. At the beginning of this situation we faced a huge number of unknowns. Both upside and downside risks. The upside risks include improved testing, treatments, preventive measures etc. and the downside risks include poor immunity (possibly worsened by mutation), overrunning hospital capacity, long term health effects and deaths.

The upsides are realized with time while the downsides become more likely with viral production/spread. So the intelligent thing to do is to separate time and spread. Slow down spread until better options arrive. Your stat shows that's happened to some extent: as time has gone on we've learned more. It's a pretty predictable outcome (and in fact it was predicted months ago) but it's worth talking about, particularly since we're not out of the woods yet.

Of course, the 2.5x factor is probably a little high due to the time delay for deaths--how will that hold up when the case surge is 3-4 weeks old? And what happens to the death rate if hospitals are overrun? And while the risk of poor immunity appears to be unlikely at the moment, the shear number of viruses that have been produced means the risk of a mutation that reduces immunity is still real. If that happens and the vaccines are rendered ineffective as a result we could be right back where we were 10 months ago medically. Luckily, we should all be able to don a giant face mask with a pair of one-way valves soon. So we've got that going for us.

Oh, yeah, about that mutation risk, see N439K. Here's a preprint for your reading pleasure:

https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1...11.04.355842v1
    Interesting. Will take a look at that later.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Just waiting for Trump Jr. to have access to all of these therapies ‘pro-actively’.
    Ivanka, definitely.

Don Jr, possibly.

Eric, ...who?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Eric, ...who?
    Will be announced as Lara Trump's husband in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ahem. About those patients taking covid denial to the grave.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-covi...l-as-they-die/
    Lots of words digging for controversy when there appears to be none.

I decided to take my temperature with both an oral thermometer and one of the lazer gun looking things that is common in businesses. Closest temp I could get with the lazer gun was 2.2 degres lower than the oral.

I'm having a hard time believing it wouldn't already be fairly obvious that someone is sick if they have a 102.6 degree fever.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    I decided to take my temperature with both an oral thermometer and one of the lazer gun looking things that is common in businesses.
    I think anal thermometer readings are predictable and consistent. Would inspire some conscious decision making about electing to travel.

Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    If i had a business i would check the temperature of people coming in, it's not that hard and if it saves one of my employees from getting sick?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk
    FWIW, this was all that some critical federal agencies are doing before staff are allowed through their office door, like FEMA. I’m not sure if they’ve instituted any rapid test protocol in addition in the past few weeks.