Page 999 of 1070 FirstFirst ... 994 995 996 997 998 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 ... LastLast
Results 24,951 to 24,975 of 26742

Thanks OG! Got that info from
    doc,
    I have neuropathy from liver failure so only two fingers work on a meter.

Does anyone know of any rapid tests coming out soon? How is it almost fall and we still don’t have something fast AND reliable?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I flick a little spit on the frying pan all the time--when it jumps the pan is ready. There's nothing in spit that a hot frying pan won't kill..
    well you know what they say about mad dogs and englishmen
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Whoever decided that Buffs and bandanas count as a proper face covering? Get a real mask people.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Whoever decided that Buffs and bandanas count as a proper face covering? Get a real mask people.
    With ski season coming up maybe they need to run some tests on wet masks. If I ski--haven't decided yet--I was planning to use a buff because the material tolerates moisture and dries quickly. I guess I'll use my hiking masks--polyester with cotton lining and see how they hold up. Since I have 48 of them--that's how they came--I guess I can change them out as needed.

Was thinking about how toasty warm a respirator under the balaclava/ neck gaiter would be on a blustery day

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Does frozen beard mask count?

I'm not so concerned about the fleece results. Not that it's good news or anything, but that isn't reliable data. The error bars on the fleece are huge (indicating they got big variation) and I didn't find any reference in their discussion to the fact that the fleece would be expected to be harboring moisture and thus be ready to expel more droplets. They tried to control for that by puffing dry air through each one, but of course dry air wouldn't dampen the material, so it's only useful for showing there wasn't dust in the mask. There are pros and cons to having a mask that's wet with your own moisture (as a wearer--mostly cons to others) but that factor may have easily played a huge role in their results and they don't mention it or describe how long it was worn prior to testing. I'm guessing it varied--maybe they even took measurements sequentially while the test subject kept it on. (I also didn't see how many layers were used, but I may have missed that.) All of which makes the hypothesis that fleece scatters more particles pretty unsupported (at least so far).

It's worth noting that the actual study was intended to show a (much needed) measurement technique, not to find rigorously defensible results. As such, the fact that they didn't (couldn't, given the limits of their equipment) account for very small particles as well as larger ones, variation in mass exhaled (unsealed volume and unmeasured flow from the box), or anything beyond a small angle of incidence at the lens makes this an early study of a new technique more than a definitive set of results.

It also lacks (so far?) a good way to measure the energy/velocity of particles to know how far they immediately travel, since it's just an up close measurement. Cutting down the energy of the particles is probably just as important as their number when it comes to speaking with someone who is 3-10 feet away. Bad masks probably still do that to an extent.

https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont...sciadv.abd3083

Still and all, yeah, real masks are better. Duh.

A review of the theories about why some people get sick and some are asymptomatic.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ge%2Fstory-ans
    T cell immunity to other coronaviruses, genetic differences in the host, reduced inoculum due to masks, possible beneficial effect of previous vaccinations for unrelated diseases. Fauci sounds skeptical about all these theories--the old standby--multiple factors.

I cant follow the Twitter thread very well, but I certainly appreciate the thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    There has been previous discussion of this article and the Trevor Bedford twitter post I shared a page ago (and below). While it appears possible for a community to see herd immunity with as low as 20% infected (rather than the normal 60% infected), the reduced number is only possible, and because of, social distancing and mask. Stop doing that, and you would lose your low herd immunity threshold in that community. So not a replacement for a vaccine bailing us out. But to me, this is a glimmer of hope surrounded by otherwise dismal news. Once the hard hit areas like NY and Florida hit herd immunity (which Bedford thinks has already occurred) their numbers will go down (which is happening) and then with low numbers they can keep the virus in check through testing and contact tracing (like Canada and nearly every other nation on earth). This is why NY believes they can safely open schools. Opening schools will lead to virus outbreaks but as long as they can test and trace they can, in theory, keep it under control (like nearly all other countries on earth except US). Finally, Bedford points out you have to kill a lot of people to get where NY, Florida, ect. are.
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Americans want herd immunity that lets them go back to 2019 without getting a shot--other people get sick or get the shot, they don't have to lift a finger.

America will get the herd immunity they deserve, just the path will vary from place to place.

(AKA, it is what it is)
    the drugs made me realize it's not about the drugs

Quote Originally Posted by wkd-rdr View Post
    America will get the herd immunity they deserve, just the path will vary from place to place.
    This is the fact. When it was Ebola we crushed it, spent less and lost less people. Because it's less deadly we chose to spend more, change our lives more for longer and lose hundreds of thousands.

Changing from R0<1@60% infected to @20% infected? Not without more deaths. Not here.

Trashcan, hope your health improves soon.

Trying to remember anything useful from listening to TWIV and medcram (and UCSF). One thing they mentioned is a research hospital will tend to be more up to date on evolving treatment protocols, and will have more access to treatments - some are only available via clinical trials, and research hospitals are better at registering for them.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    This is the fact. When it was Ebola we crushed it, spent less and lost less people. Because it's less deadly we chose to spend more, change our lives more for longer and lose hundreds of thousands.

Changing from R0<1@60% infected to @20% infected? Not without more deaths. Not here.
    You can't really compare the two. Ebola is way less contagious than the rona.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...gious-is-ebola

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    You can't really compare the two. Ebola is way less contagious than the rona.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/health-...gious-is-ebola
    True, and you make my point: despite that, the level of precaution taken for every single case of Ebola in the US was absolute maximum. Isolation, hazmat suits, contact tracing, and that shit got shut down. I never had to think about community spread (or fiscal stimulus) because it was kept at least 2 levels from that. We killed it like New Zealand killed the rona. It's just a shame the rona isn't more painful and deadly so it wouldn't be so painful and deadly--and expensive.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    while i was on the road for 2 weeks
    both our 60+ neighbors got the covoid
    and our delivery driver at work got contact traced on weds from contact that monday
    then felt bad thurs and tested positive fri while i was gone
    then another at work went in for a random test be able to go back and visit fam in MD and asymptotically tested positive weds
    i sure felt safer on the road and water and should go back on social distance limited contact vacation
    some of my buffs are 2 layers and a folded bandanas 2 more
    no way 4 layers isnt better than 3
    and did the cdc and who ever state how many lives could have been saved had they not dropped the fuckin ball and made face coverings a priority day 1 ?
    vibes and strength tc
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    Yo poliassfuckers
    theres a special basement for your lame shit

Does it make people feel like they sound more knowledgeable when they refer to this virus as “the rona”? Makes you sound ignorant and lacking respect for the seriousness of this disease.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    Does it make people feel like they sound more knowledgeable when they refer to this virus as “the rona”? Makes you sound ignorant and lacking respect for the seriousness of this disease.
    OK Karen...

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    OK Karen...
    My name isn’t Karen you anal wart. Saying “rona” is like saying “za” the whole brevity thing makes people sound like lazy cretins.

If you don’t think the disease is serious and demands respect you should come spend a few days working in the hospital with us.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...sKL6zTvQDCXBBQ

interesting articla about covid and kids

A few more posts to 1000 pages. sigh.

Interesting article on how the Thais are doing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/w...nd-photos.html
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Quote Originally Posted by bad dancer View Post
    Interesting article on how the Thais are doing.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/16/w...nd-photos.html
    It's pronounced "the thighs"......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime

Name:  00DD69B1-98FE-41BA-9379-5ADFE505948A.jpeg
Views: 475
Size:  47.4 KB