Page 159 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 ... LastLast
Results 3,951 to 3,975 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by powdork View Post
    so what about jury duty?? seems like i shouldn't go.
    Tell them you have a dry cough.

so what about jury duty?? seems like i shouldn't go.
    If you were in Vermont I know it’s a free pass out of jury duty already.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

coronavirudae
    Coming right back at you with an ex uno pluria my friend.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    There's something a little hinky about that, I'm not making any conclusions, but she said she went to the ER and they diagnosed her with viral pneumonia and they put her on Doxycycline 100mg x 7 days. That makes no sense that I can see. Doxycycline is an antibiotic, not an antiviral.
    I found a better article on this previously, but secondary infections are one of the biggest threats.
    https://www.technologyreview.com/f/6...6-differences/
    As if contracting coronavirus wasn’t bad enough, it leads to about two more secondary infections on average. The flu can sometimes cause a secondary infection, usually pneumonia, but it’s rare for a flu patient to get two infections after the flu.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Hang in there summit.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by SoVT Joey View Post
    Ya, no. That’s exactly what I said. Stop wasting money testing and straight up drop the iron curtain. Quarantine just like China and South Korea. They had to test to know what they were fighting. We already know what we are fighting thanks to their testing. All this testing is redundant. I could understand there being a shortage of the vaccine. But a test isn’t a vaccine.
    It really, really matters whether the true mortality rate of this virus is 0.5% or 1% or 2% or 3+%. The difference is literally millions of dead people. The only way to know the true mortality rate is to test everyone who might possibly have it so that the denominator in the dead/infected equation is accurate.

yeah. not so much. My understanding they are NOT testing for approval at this point. They are still testing to even see if the vaccines work. Then they have to test to see which works best and whether they are safe. They are still a LONG way from any sort of FDA testing for approval. Doubtful the virus will still be the same virus then as coronavirudae are known for mutating.
    Every credible source I've seen is minimum 12-18 months for a vaccine, and even at that point you're probably talking limited distribution to at-risk populations. Mass distribution to the general public a la seasonal flu vaccine could be 2-3 years.

Ya, no. That’s exactly what I said. Stop wasting money testing and straight up drop the iron curtain. Quarantine just like China and South Korea. They had to test to know what they were fighting. We already know what we are fighting thanks to their testing. All this testing is redundant. I could understand there being a shortage of the vaccine. But a test isn’t a vaccine.

The issue is without accurate testing the authorities have no idea where it has spread to and in what severity. That makes it impossible to prioritize resources. There are likely thousands or more that are infected right now and spreading it to others and nobody knows who or where they are. How do you enact quarantines if you don't know where to quarantine?

Tests are the first step. There's a big deal about them right now because widespread and accurate testing is the step we need RIGHT NOW. We needed it weeks ago.

A vaccine would be great and is being worked on. But no matter how quickly one is created, it will not be created quickly enough and mass produced in a short enough time to be effective in stopping the spread. Accurate tracking, quarantine, and prioritization of healthcare resources will.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    It really, really matters whether the true mortality rate of this virus is 0.5% or 1% or 2% or 3+%. The difference is literally millions of dead people. The only way to know the true mortality rate is to test everyone who might possibly have it so that the denominator in the dead/infected equation is accurate.

Every credible source I've seen is minimum 12-18 months for a vaccine, and even at that point you're probably talking limited distribution to at-risk populations. Mass distribution to the general public a la seasonal flu vaccine could be 2-3 years.

So if it’s .5% we don’t worry about it. And if 3% it’s oh shit. I still don’t see how that changes anything. I would venture to guess that if there are 3 billion people in the world we should make 3 billion doses of the vaccine and just assume we will all get it.

Does the test bring people back from the dead? Or are we just concerned about the numbers for the way we right the history books?

Lets throw some resources at getting temporary hospital facilities built. They can be inflatables or whatever, just so that we don't have these patients mixing with the general hospital population so they can keep operating normally. I'm hearing that there are only something like 70k ventilators in the country, why don't we build some more? C'mon we can do this...

Local hospital just ordered n95 Masks from the inter webs.

Usual supplier had none.

They are “hoping” the masks are legit not counterfeit.

Wow. Did they not see this coming a month ago?
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by adrenalated View Post
    The issue is without accurate testing the authorities have no idea where it has spread to and in what severity. That makes it impossible to prioritize resources. There are likely thousands or more that are infected right now and spreading it to others and nobody knows who or where they are. How do you enact quarantines if you don't know where to quarantine?

Tests are the first step. There's a big deal about them right now because widespread and accurate testing is the step we need RIGHT NOW. We needed it weeks ago.

A vaccine would be great and is being worked on. But no matter how quickly one is created, it will not be created quickly enough and mass produced in a short enough time to be effective in stopping the spread. Accurate tracking, quarantine, and prioritization of healthcare resources will.
    Pretty sure China did some tests and then decided to just lock the country down. They didn’t have to test everyone to figure out they were screwed...

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Lets throw some resources at getting temporary hospital facilities built. They can be inflatables or whatever, just so that we don't have these patients mixing with the general hospital population so they can keep operating normally. I'm hearing that there are only something like 70k ventilators in the country, why don't we build some more? C'mon we can do this...
    Amen.

Pretty sure China did some tests and then decided to just lock the country down. They didn’t have to test everyone to figure out they were screwed...
    Poorly informed again, you really need to shut up for a while. The testing started back in late September 2019 when anomalies were noticed. By mid October they began to get a handle on it and dial it in but then needed 2-3 months of data to confirm what they were seeing. By mid January when the numbers were in it was too late and the shit started to hit the fan.

Amen.

How do you enact quarantines if you don't know where to quarantine?
    Pretty sure at this point it has spread to pretty much every city in the country, it is just a matter of a few weeks for people to start dropping dead everywhere, so why not lock down every city for 2-3 weeks? Like Italy.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

I highly recommend that anyone who wants to know how this shit spreads and how societies can break down watch Contagion.
    That'll scare ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    today the few people left who were only taking this half serious started taking it super serious
    today was more amazing sacrifice and leadership
    people were in tears. rationing care was discussed for the future
    people are either starting or well into the process of working themselves to the breaking point, in the hospital, in public health
    but there is no other choice
    until they collapse
    and they will
    there is some reserve force... but it is small. it will be pushed forward into the gaps... and overwhelmed too
    the virus will not get tired first

when you collapse you gotta stand up again
    most everyone will live
    but this viral war is going to be particularly awful and tragic in the hospital
    Damn, thanks for this. People really seem to have no idea how little excess capacity there is in the healthcare system and how easily it could be overwhelmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Be careful with that AirBnB reservation.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...llation-frenzy
    Heh, booked a condo in Crested Butte for 4 days in late June two weeks ago. No plans to cancel, the trails will be open.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I started WFH part time in 2005, full time since 2008. Bunch of dilletentes around now claiming to be WFH gurus.
    Imagine how much worse the economic/social impacts from this would have been 10-20 years before so many people were able to WFH and take classes online.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    It's a link. If I post the clip direct from faux news will it make it more legit? Help me out here..
    Seriously, come on OG. Allowing Falwell to spew baseless shit like that without pushback is irresponsible. FFS, even Tucker Carslon is admitting that this is serious and our leaders need to stop lying about it: https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...ing-about-that

So if it’s .5% we don’t worry about it. And if 3% it’s oh shit. I still don’t see how that changes anything. I would venture to guess that if there are 3 billion people in the world we should make 3 billion doses of the vaccine and just assume we will all get it.
    A vaccine is not happening short-term, just put that idea right out of your head. 0.5% vs 3% changes everything. It's the difference between life being back to normal sooner than later and major economic/societal disruption dragging on into 2021. Not to mention the millions of extra dead people.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    I highly recommend that anyone who wants to know how this shit spreads and how societies can break down watch Contagion.
    That'll scare ya.
    Trump is supposed to have a news conference at 3:00 p.m. Eastern Time today... I'm sure everything will be fine after he announces that Pence prayers have persuaded the virus to go back to China

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using TGR Forums mobile app
    what's so funny about peace, love, and understanding?

So yea or nay on the Filet o Fish? I'm really hungry.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Jong Lafitte View Post
    Twitter is a platform; Fox is an outlet or agency.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I know what Twitter is. It's a social media platform where among other things people can post links to "news" sources of dubious reliability so that other people who are too lazy to seek out reliable news sources can pretend to be informed.

I mean, they're 2 for $5.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    I mean, they're 2 for $5.
    Right?

And if shit goes south I can make a t shirt that says I paid only $5 for two Filet of Fishes and all I got was this stupid t-shirt.

And Coronavirus.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Poorly informed again, you really need to shut up for a while. The testing started back in late September 2019 when anomalies were noticed. By mid October they began to get a handle on it and dial it in but then needed 2-3 months of data to confirm what they were seeing. By mid January when the numbers were in it was too late and the shit started to hit the fan.

wtf are you even going on about?
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...ds-show-report
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Pretty sure at this point it has spread to pretty much every city in the country, it is just a matter of a few weeks for people to start dropping dead everywhere, so why not lock down every city for 2-3 weeks? Like Italy.
    Having the resources and coordination to do that seems challenging especially since some states/municipalities/US presidents still have their heads in the sand and you need coordination from law enforcement at every level to do this, but I agree this is probably where we're heading.

Tests are the first step. There's a big deal about them right now because widespread and accurate testing is the step we need RIGHT NOW.
    That cruise ship sailed...weeks ago. If you stop for a second to think how many tests would have to be done, analyzed and especially HOW they would be done things should clear up to you: How do you think to test 300mil individuals without creating secondary (and tertiary) vectors? Let alone analyze and implement measures to actually contain the affected individuals? Pipe dream.

Now it is all about containment and lessening the impact on health care system...which might depending on country/area might already be too late.

And vaccine...forgettaboutit. 12-18 months in normal situation is along the normal timeframe for one with normal procedures, in this case it might schedule might be expedited to few weeks if powers to be a willing to take a risk. Covid is not a Ebola so institutions might be ware of implementing a poorly/non tested vaccine as that might cause political ramifications in medium term scenarios.

The floggings will continue until morale improves.