Page 1215 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1210 1211 1212 1213 1214 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 ... LastLast
Results 30,351 to 30,375 of 41810
    From the department of People Suck:

Lawsuit: Tyson managers bet money on how many workers would contract COVID-19” [Iowa Capital Dispatch]. • Dear Lord:

The lawsuit was recently amended and includes a number of new allegations against the company and plant officials. Among them:

In mid-April, around the time Black Hawk County Sherriff Tony Thompson visited the plant and reported the working conditions there “shook [him] to the core,” plant manager Tom Hart organized a cash-buy-in, winner-take-all, betting pool for supervisors and managers to wager how many plant employees would test positive for COVID-19.

John Casey, an upper-level manager at the plant, is alleged to have explicitly directed supervisors to ignore symptoms of COVID-19, telling them to show up to work even if they were exhibiting symptoms of the virus. Casey reportedly referred to COVID-19 as the “glorified flu” and told workers not to worry about it because “it’s not a big deal” and “everyone is going to get it.” On one occasion, Casey intercepted a sick supervisor who was on his way to be tested and ordered him to get back to work, saying, “We all have symptoms — you have a job to do.” After one employee vomited on the production line, managers reportedly allowed the man to continue working and then return to work the next day.

In late March or early April, as the pandemic spread across Iowa, managers at the Waterloo plant reportedly began avoiding the plant floor for fear of contracting the virus. As a result, they increasingly delegated managerial authority and responsibilities to low-level supervisors who had no management training or experience. The supervisors did not require truck drivers and subcontractors to have their temperatures checked before entering the plant.

In March and April, plant supervisors falsely denied the existence of any confirmed cases or positive tests for COVID-19 within the plant, and allegedly told workers they had a responsibility to keep working to ensure Americans didn’t go hungry as the result of a shutdown.

Tyson paid out $500 “thank you bonuses” to employees who turned up for every scheduled shift for three months — a policy decision that allegedly incentivized sick workers to continue reporting for work..

Tyson executives allegedly lobbied Iowa Gov. Kim Reynolds for COVID-19 liability protections that would shield the company from lawsuits, and successfully lobbied the governor to declare that only the state government, not local governments, had the authority to close businesses in response to the pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Holy sheep shit, this thread picked up. Ah can’t read it all.

Question: trying to help peers/friends understand the risk of gatherings next week by just getting a test a day or two ahead of time and feeling that covers them. I wanna make sure I have some info correct and I’m struggling to find info with my thumbs (internet searching on my phone):
    -incubation post infection: typically 2-14 days (likely won’t test positive during incubation) after exposure
    -contagious when eventually symptomatic: avg of 12 days (~2 day contagious w/o symptoms and ~10 days after symptoms develop)
    -contagious when asymptomatic the whole time:???

With the 14-day quarantine requirement that’s common, it’s clear that many people may leave quarantine after those days and still be contagious. Has that probability been published based on evidence?

This is disregarding the potential of receiving inaccurate test results.
    As far as people who test positive--the CDC recommendation is quarantine 10 days from the onset of symptoms, or if asymptomatic 10 days from the day of the positive test (IOW 5 days ago by the time you actually get the results)

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Isn't that why the POTUS pardons the turkey every year? So it should all work out.
    Pretty sure the white house turkey is getting the axe this year.

As for the Narwall mask--if you could modify it to roll coal you could get all the Trumpers to wear one.

5-14 days to get the results here in Bozeman and I'm not sure if that includes the weekends. So I'll be done quarantining around that time anyway. Partner had a sore throat so work had her get tested out of an abundance of caution. Meanwhile it seems like an abundance of caution isn't being exhibited by most around here.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Finished product should be mass produced cheap and the big parts of this have already been made to compete with $20 snorkeling goggles. They should stay reasonably cheap.
    They really should go with a standard filter.

Quote Originally Posted by chaka View Post
    Specialized owns trademark rights on the term "Narwhal" so be careful and spell it correctly: Narwall
    Narwhal.
    Narwhal.
    Narwhal.

Quote Originally Posted by concretejungle View Post
    5-14 days to get the results here in Bozeman and I'm not sure if that includes the weekends. So I'll be done quarantining around that time anyway. Partner had a sore throat so work had her get tested out of an abundance of caution. Meanwhile it seems like an abundance of caution isn't being exhibited by most around here.
    Whoa, 5-14 is crazy. I've gotten mine back within 3 tops, which is still pretty incredible. Apparently the county next door can get a PCR result back in 2 hrs.

Heres a weird one for ya, if you have symptoms and test positive (or even maybe you don't), you quarantine for 10 days. If you've had exposure someone with symptoms, and have no symptoms, and even test negative, you still quarantine for 14 days! Longer than the person with symptoms and a positive.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    Whoa, 5-14 is crazy. I've gotten mine back within 3 tops, which is still pretty incredible. Apparently the county next door can get a PCR result back in 2 hrs.

Heres a weird one for ya, if you have symptoms and test positive (or even maybe you don't), you quarantine for 10 days. If you've had exposure someone with symptoms, and have no symptoms, and even test negative, you still quarantine for 14 days! Longer than the person with symptoms and a positive.
    I did the fucked up math and either way I wasn't impressed with how long I'm supposed to sit around feeling healthy. The long wait time also explains why my daughter's school had to go back remote due to staffing issues. I guess I should be happy that the two have coincided.

*gets on soap box*
    The fact that we don't have a national testing system with 1-2 day (or less) turn around time is a failure of our leadership.

Well, our leadership is above ground bunkered in the WH watching TV and rage tweeting right now.

So I have seen the stuff about our vaccines here...where is the rest of the world with their vaccine development?

Canada, Sweden, Australia...how is their development coming along

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule” Friedrich Nietzche

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    *gets on soap box*
    The fact that we don't have a national testing system with 1-2 day (or less) turn around time is a failure of our leadership.
    Applies to sooooo many things e.g. how come there aren't national standards for a NATIONAL election??
    Yeah, I know ...... fuck the constitution.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    So I have seen the stuff about our vaccines here...where is the rest of the world with their vaccine development?

"Our" vaccines? Not sure what this means. These are mostly private company initiatives where governments around the world bought in to give the programs a big push and secure doses. BARDA has outspent everyone by a mile because fuck it let's just throw money at the problem rather than take preventive measures.

WTF does this mean? Other countries placed orders with private companies same as the US. For example Canada has a billion dollars of vaccine ordered from multiple companies - back before Pfizer or Moderna or anyone was announcing who was out front.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post

Presumably if you develop symptoms your exposure was at least 4 days before, so 14 days quarantine from the presumed date of exposure--same as for the asymptomatic person with the known exposure. The 14 days quarantine after exposure with a negative test does seem impractical.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    WTF does this mean? Other countries placed orders with private companies same as the US. For example Canada has a billion dollars of vaccine ordered from multiple companies - back before Pfizer or Moderna or anyone was announcing who was out front.
    I think Russia has been dosing people with some sketchy vaccine for a while. They may or may not be getting people sick. More positively, the PRC has a couple different things wrapping up clinical trials. Obviously, biontech and AZ are both European and are approaching approval.

All of which is great. We need the manufacturing capacity if we are going to dose enough people to end the pandemic.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Moderna and Pfizer are US companies. I was curious how the phama companies HQ’d within countries with socialized medicine were doing on their research. If no one here knows I can google it...just figured you all were keeping an eye on development

"We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

gretch, there's a guy in Seattle who'll give you a vaccine now, no questions asked. It might even work, and you can get testimonials from fellow TRG forum members. Fuck socialized medicine, this is pure capitalism. Right up your alley.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Well, our leadership is above ground bunkered in the WH watching TV and rage tweeting right now.
    To be fair, Pence did have a press conference today to tell us all how well we're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Applies to sooooo many things e.g. how come there aren't national standards for a NATIONAL election??
    Yeah, I know ...... fuck the constitution.
    Becuz states rights and all. Goes hand-in-hand with muhfreedumbz.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    I think Russia has been dosing people with some sketchy vaccine for a while. They may or may not be getting people sick. More positively, the PRC has a couple different things wrapping up clinical trials. Obviously, biontech and AZ are both European and are approaching approval.

All of which is great. We need the manufacturing capacity if we are going to dose enough people to end the pandemic.

Thanks Sirsh. The whole concept that Pfizer or another US company develop a vaccine on US soil with US funds and get US FDA approval and then sell it all to the rest of the world before our own citizens have what they need is laughable and a true sign of how far the citizenry of the country has fallen. Do you honestly think if China developed a vaccine, we would get to buy it during a free market bidding war? Ha! The mindset of some people shows exactly why the US would never win a WWIII. Nationalism here is dead...we are fucked.

Next a US company will develop a new super weapon and what the heck...let’s just sell it to China and not worry about how many of our own citizens die because of it.

FYI...it’s not unethical to take care of your own first. If a strangers kid was drowning on one side of a pool and yours on the other, no one would have any expectation that you wouldn’t save your own kids first.

Moderna and Pfizer are US companies. I was curious how the phama companies HQ’d within countries with socialized medicine were doing on their research. If no one here knows I can google it...just figured you all were keeping an eye on development

You're embarrassing yourself.

China isn’t going to win the fight for global dominance with weapons.
    That’s ancient, Cold War thinking.
    They are going to do it economically, little by little, as America fades from relevance.
    And Trump will be seen as the first harbinger of that demise.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    *gets on soap box*
    Everyone can get a test in your car, and get the results on a Google based website on the same day.

Or or did someone misinform you?

We have been bitching for months about our fellow Americans not taking care of their neighbors, not wearing mask and being selfish. Sure seems to me like we could use a little more “circle the wagons” and protect ourselves mindset.

This is a stupid question. You know that one of the leading vaccines (pfizer) was developed in Germany, right?
    Socialized medicine?

I.e everyone has healthcare, but all healthcare providers are private?

Sent from my Redmi Note 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Everyone can get a test in your car, and get the results on a Google based website on the same day.

Or or did someone misinform you?
    Accurate, PCR testing? Everywhere? Meeting demand to test teachers and health care personnel regularly?