Page 1466 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1461 1462 1463 1464 1465 1466 1467 1468 1469 1470 1471 ... LastLast
Results 36,626 to 36,650 of 41810
    ^I don't understand. Both vax'd and took precautions. Is it that they travelled that's a put off? Sounds like everyone has been uber-careful.

Sounds about as careful as they can be while living life again.
    Personally I’d be stoked to have dinner with them.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

Yeah based on what you wrote seems ok KQ

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    ^I don't understand. Both vax'd and took precautions. Is it that they travelled that's a put off? Sounds like everyone has been uber-careful.
    yep! Heaven forbid anyone go out and live their lives vaccinated 🙄

Apparently wearing masks and being vaccinated isn’t enough 🤷🏻♂️

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Switching gears here:

Friends texted that they would be in town and wanted to go to dinner. I know them, they are vaxxed so I said sure and made reservations. The place I picked is a owned by some good friends who are UBER Covid careful and they had to move things around to accomodate our party since it was last minute. That was last night. Just now I get this message from the people coming to town:

Ugh.

I wish they had told me this proir to the reservation because I can't in good conscious cancel now. A third party who was traveling from Tri-Cities to join us has been informed and she may cancel because she is due to travel to Bend next week and promised her friends she would take precautions.

I guess I'm just venting here but still............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well. I got sick the first time and only time I ate out after getting vaxxed. Maybe this time will be different.
    Personally, id ask them to do a quick test day-of. Its a $30 test you can get at any CVS/Walgreens. If theyve been generally careful, are vaxxed, and test negative day of then i think the risk is acceptable low. YMMV. Not such thing as a sure thing. Id be much more worried about the restaurant staff than friends who are careful/conscientious enough to warn you about their possibly risky activities despite being vaccinated. The people to worry about are the unvaxxed, and/or the folks who think there is not such thing as a risky activity once they've gotten the shot.

I just had my mom do the test, in the car, on the way home from the airport. Its super easy and only takes 15 mins for results. BinaxNow.

Really, this should be the play for anyone spending close-quarters time around someone that they are concerned about. Its super cheap, and while not 100% accurate, is a pretty heavy safety blanket that your friend is not infected and spreading for the next little while. We have 3 tests just chilling in a bathroom closet for when family comes to visit our newborn.
    Last edited by californiagrown; 10-06-2021 at 06:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mtuhockey33 View Post
    yep! Heaven forbid anyone go out and live their lives vaccinated 🙄

Apparently wearing masks and being vaccinated isn’t enough 🤷🏻♂️
    I know we give you a lot of shit in here, but seriously, are you ok? The narrative she wrote and what you describe about masks are exact opposites. Reading too fast, or is this normal for you? Could be good to see somebody if this happens a lot--lasting neuro is common even with mild cases. Could even be that 1 shot would help clear your head.

RE: Nutrition.

https://world.openfoodfacts.org/

Handy source of food content.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Switching gears here:

Friends texted that they would be in town and wanted to go to dinner. I know them, they are vaxxed so I said sure and made reservations. The place I picked is a owned by some good friends who are UBER Covid careful and they had to move things around to accomodate our party since it was last minute. That was last night. Just now I get this message from the people coming to town:

Ugh.

I wish they had told me this proir to the reservation because I can't in good conscious cancel now. A third party who was traveling from Tri-Cities to join us has been informed and she may cancel because she is due to travel to Bend next week and promised her friends she would take precautions.

I guess I'm just venting here but still............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well. I got sick the first time and only time I ate out after getting vaxxed. Maybe this time will be different.
    Everyone is vaxxed so why be concerned? It’s more dangerous driving to the restaurant.

Unless people in the group are high risk I guess.

At some point you need to get on with life KQ

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

KQ-- eating out with those folks seems OK to me, but we all have our level of risk tolerance. You're vaxed, they're vaxed, they haven't had a known 15 min exposure to anyone infected. The level of risk seems like the daily background risk of life. It does seem you take a bigger risk every time you go to the feed store. I'm not trying to change your mind, only maybe giving you a reason to change it.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I know we give you a lot of shit in here, but seriously, are you ok? The narrative she wrote and what you describe about masks are exact opposites. Reading too fast, or is this normal for you? Could be good to see somebody if this happens a lot--lasting neuro is common even with mild cases. Could even be that 1 shot would help clear your head.
    she’s worried about having dinner with someone who is vaccinated but has gone to places where other people were unmasked? Or am I missing something? To me, thats insane… especially if you’re vax’d

KQ why not just wear a legit N95 while at that place and take it off very briefly to take a sip/bite or two? Leave it on MOST of the time. I have it on good authority that N95s work, you're vaxxed. It would take some major exposure, 15 minutes plus unmasked to get to you infected.. Just my Holiday Inn Express opinion..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    That was solo Don Henley, not the Eagles you twit.
    Potato potahto.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    That was before the HP48 came along.
    Since then we've been playing Joust on our calculators.

Wow. That's some can of worms I opened.

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

RPN?

Nerd

KQ

For UT and WA, cases are at ~40/100k per day. Tests undercount by 2x - 4x. Covid may be infectious for about 5 days before it's noticed, tested, and isolated. So the chance any one person is infectious is 40/100,000*2*5 = 0.4%. Maybe more if you think the undercount is greater then 2x or people are infectious longer. Less because they are vaccinated, maybe half (e.g. 0.45 for King County, 0.7 in my county).

How much to adjust for being careful, white, wealthier than average, traveled recently, etc, hard to guess. Also these conditions tend to overlap. So maybe use 0.2% as a rough guess. If 5 people meet, there's a 1% chance someone is infectious (5 * 0.2). Then there's a low chance of catching it if you're outdoors, and a low chance of bad outcomes (lowish? long covid?). Vaccine gives great protection against the worst outcomes. Testing probably reduces the risk by half or better (maybe more for a rapid test on same day).

For me, that's a small risk I would take for rare important events. Also for me, the risk is too high for regular "normal" interactions. YMMV. Life is short.

* Note on math for 5 people meeting. This is a combinatorics question with complicated math, but for small numbers, multiplying is close enough.
    ** Does 0.2% feel right? that's 1 in 500. UK tracks how many people in the community are infected. Recently it's been bumping around 1 in 100. Adjust for vaccinated and looks close enough for ballpark estimates.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Everyone is vaxxed so why be concerned? It’s more dangerous driving to the restaurant.
    Lifetime dying in a car about 1%, spread over 80 years is about 0.00003% chance of dying in a given day of driving.
    Taking my above guesses 1% someone brings covid. 5% catching it outdoors. 1% chance of dying (less for whippersnappers.). 5% chance vaccine does not protect against death. 0.00003% chance of dying.

So roughly the same danger as driving for the death outcome, considering the large number of SWAGs and reasons a number might vary. Cars and Covid also produce injuries. Maybe it's similar. Is it? Cars can put you in the ICU, but don't fill ICUs. Hmm. Needs funding for further study.

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    I question you being a real engineer Every engineer should have the iHP48 app on their phone. Exact replica of the HP48G calculator. Can't write programs in it, but I use it all the time on site visits. Can't use a regular calculator as I'm a RPN guy and can't go back...
    It's called postfix notation. Use the stack.

Wow. That's some can of worms I opened.

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice.
    Haha. It's all good, KQ. Your vax'd. They're vax'd. Sounds like everyone's being pretty responsible, and respectful too. Just listen to this and remind yourself that it's ok to go back outside again. It truly is.

guys...

reading KQ's dilemma and the responses, I will comment to one piece that is not included ( well, Maybe two ) -

the equation changes significantly when one is caring for someone in their Nineties - and

the only other time KQ went out to eat, KQ got sick.

. . . the other piece of KQ's situation If I have understood what I read, IS,
    a third party that was going to be party to Dinner, has indicated she may bow-out, knowing the travelers have been traveling, and
    given plans she - party#3 - has next week ( is also giving KQ pause ) ;

I believe everyone agrees, the risk is low - and goat makes the key point - it is your 'risk tolerance' that is decisive.

only You can decide what is important to You !

my suggestion is re-read your friends' message, and then decide whether or not you want to dine-in with them ( And everyone else at the restaurant
    ( is getting meals to Go from this particular restaurant an option ?

( the idea that you do not want to cancel a reservation hours ahead of time is confusing to me... ) )

Good luck ! skiJ

postscript.

post #36652

"I guess I'm just venting here but still............grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh well. I got sick the first time and only time I ate out after getting vaxxed. Maybe this time will be different. "

I was going to offer, ,,, my opinion -
    but since you are just venting, I will leave it at what has been written - except to add,

Good luck wishes... ! skiJ
    Last edited by skiJ; 10-07-2021 at 09:15 AM.

My friends 9 year old son just got covid. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    My friends 9 year old son just got covid. Good times.

rideski -

I will hope your 9 year old friend comes through with no lasting nor long-term effects...

This is Why I believe everyone who can be vaccinated needs to be vaccinated

( obviously, 9 year olds do not yet qualify. )

Good luck wishes... tj

Thanks.

Current prognosis is sit and home and wait (poop) it out.
    No presidential therapies available.

Okay....ya wanna know what happened? We all showed up at ther appointed time, sat down, talked for a bit then one of the pair that had traveled extensively announced she felt off and they left because she was concerned about infecting ther rest of us should she be sick with covid.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

^oldest trick in the book. Leave ol' KQ with the check.