Page 1220 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1215 1216 1217 1218 1219 1220 1221 1222 1223 1224 1225 ... LastLast
Results 30,476 to 30,500 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    I had kinda settled on flying or train riding being somewhat low risk, but not totally risk free.
    This story from New Zealand puts that to the test from a flight from Dubai to NZ with 4 infected passengers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...-flight-covid/

The caveat being that it was an 18-hour plane ride. Shorter hops of 5 hours or less may carry less risk, but the long-haul routes just seem prone to transmission at this point.
    The linked article stated that there were only 86 passengers. To put that into perspective, this was most likely a 777-300 with either 427 or 442 seats. The minimum crew would've been 13, but could've been as high as 18.

So a hundred(ish) people in an airplane that can carry over 500, and there were 4 infections.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    I had kinda settled on flying or train riding being somewhat low risk, but not totally risk free.
    This story from New Zealand puts that to the test from a flight from Dubai to NZ with 4 infected passengers.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...-flight-covid/

The caveat being that it was an 18-hour plane ride. Shorter hops of 5 hours or less may carry less risk, but the long-haul routes just seem prone to transmission at this point.

(Also, if getting Jenny McCarthy to stfu about vaccines for only $1,500, I declare that government money well spent.)
    Thanks for posting. Helpful for thinking about flying and also other types of events/trips where people say “ oh just get tested beforehand”

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Ahem. About those patients taking covid denial to the grave.

https://www.wired.com/story/are-covi...l-as-they-die/

is your point that the media inflates and exaggerates things? If so that is a shocking accusation /s

Tested positive yesterday afternoon. Only symptoms were muscle fatigue and a little cough. Went from no fever, to 102.3 in about 2 hrs. Then I had to sweat out 8 gallons overnight. Regular temperature now. Still tired and have chills. Just listed 10 things on sideline swap tho, so thats just another positive.

Sent from my SM-G973U using TGR Forums mobile app

Was in town at the farmers market this morning. The shaded half was in the low 40* and sunny side was mid-50* and no air circulation. I had full mask/eye glasses failure. Constant fog. Makes me concerned about mask/glasses interface.

What are your secrets. Dried dish soap, cat crap brand stuff, etc?

I ran into a paywall trying to get to that New Zealand airline story.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Was in town at the farmers market this morning. The shaded half was in the low 40* and sunny side was mid-50* and no air circulation. I had full mask/eye glasses failure. Constant fog. Makes me concerned about mask/glasses interface.

I just figured this one out finally. If you pull your covering all the way up to your eyes and then put your glasses on over that, I don't get fogging.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    If I was in Hawaii, I would totally be risking everything to go to NM.

OK, that was sarcasm if anyone needs to calibrate the meter.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    If I was in Hawaii, I would totally be risking everything to go to NM.

OK, that was sarcasm if anyone needs to calibrate the meter.
    Gotta have that breakfast burrito!

Just try and get a decent Verde sauce in HI.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Just try and get a decent Verde sauce in HI.
    Yeah, and in HI it is probably made with Spam and not pork.

https://twitter.com/Max_Gorden/statu...026684418?s=20

Welp

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Not worth it at the moment, trust me.
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Went to get one today. Line at one place drive through was stupid long. The other place (different chain) was closed for “testing and cleaning “

Quote Originally Posted by JaytaeMoney View Post
    https://twitter.com/Max_Gorden/statu...026684418?s=20

Welp

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Bet we could reduce that tremendously by saying the only planes available are 737 Maxes ......

Or not, cuz ....... freedomz

I just figured this one out finally. If you pull your covering all the way up to your eyes and then put your glasses on over that, I don't get fogging.
    Dammit. That seems to work. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    There are mitigative strategies for exposed asymptomatic critical workers that balance risk. Lots-o-algorithms and revisions. The constant push between IP/ID and HR with OH in the middle. What I see is working out well mostly.

North Dakota would be an example of shit going south.
    So how are the Dakotas doing? Looks like new cases have leveled off, without a lockdown. Alternately, maybe it hasn't leveled off, they just reached testing capacity. Test positivity is 50%ish, according to https://covid-19.direct/. I think that's high enough they are blind to case number. Also daily tests haven't really increased since August. Looks like they are managing the metrics rather than the disease.

OTOH, unemployment a month ago was 3 or 4%. Hospitals are full. About 1 in 1,000 are dead, surely that will rise. Clicking around some Dakota news sites I don't see a sense of alarm.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    So how are the Dakotas doing? Looks like new cases have leveled off, without a lockdown. Alternately, maybe it hasn't leveled off, they just reached testing capacity. Test positivity is 50%ish, according to https://covid-19.direct/. I think that's high enough they are blind to case number. Also daily tests haven't really increased since August. Looks like they are managing the metrics rather than the disease.

OTOH, unemployment a month ago was 3 or 4%. Hospitals are full. About 1 in 1,000 are dead, surely that will rise. Clicking around some Dakota news sites I don't see a sense of alarm.
    North Dakota governor said nurses who have COVID (and are infectious) should still work unless they feel too sick in order to prevent their hospitals from completely imploding. So... pretty fucking bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Apologies of this was already posted:

https://gidmk.medium.com/what-the-ne...u-eab2b824e36a

What The New COVID-19 Mask Study Means For You
    - Or, more specifically, what it DOESN’T mean

“Danish researchers have published the first large, randomized trial of mask wearing that apparently shows that masks don’t work for COVID-19. Denialists everywhere are celebrating, which is again very odd because masks are arguably the only intervention against COVID-19 that doesn’t require restrictive rules and business shutdowns.

Unfortunately for the denialists, of course, this study doesn’t say anything of the sort. They didn’t find any benefit for masks, but that doesn’t mean that we can say that masks don’t work.

Confused? Let me explain.”

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Dammit. That seems to work. Thanks!
    Agree! Thx!

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Put some tape or a Band-Aid on the mask and pin it to the bridge of your nose.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Pulse Oximeter Group Buy 2020
    Who’s in?

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Apologies of this was already posted:

https://gidmk.medium.com/what-the-ne...u-eab2b824e36a

What The New COVID-19 Mask Study Means For You
    - Or, more specifically, what it DOESN’T mean

“Danish researchers have published the first large, randomized trial of mask wearing that apparently shows that masks don’t work for COVID-19. Denialists everywhere are celebrating, which is again very odd because masks are arguably the only intervention against COVID-19 that doesn’t require restrictive rules and business shutdowns.

Unfortunately for the denialists, of course, this study doesn’t say anything of the sort. They didn’t find any benefit for masks, but that doesn’t mean that we can say that masks don’t work.

Confused? Let me explain.”
    This is the part that drives me nuts:

Quote Originally Posted by Medium study review
    The study was also very underpowered to detect any effect smaller than 50% — basically, you need truly enormous numbers of people to find a statistically meaningful reduction in infection rates if only 2% of people are getting infected in your study. For some context, to know whether masks reduce the risk of infection by 20%, the study would’ve had to recruit about 240,000 people, or 40x the number that they did.
    Why on earth do these idiotic studies go forward at all when they are literally designed to ensure they can't find a statistically significant result? This is not unique to COVID studies, cancer topics have the same problem from time to time.

If nothing else, it would be worthwhile to plug in some imaginary data on both ends of the spectrum and see if statistical significance is even possible before you set out on such an errand.

the most beautiful place in the whole wide world
    Quote Originally Posted by Lvovsky View Post
    Went to get one today. Line at one place drive through was stupid long. The other place (different chain) was closed for “testing and cleaning “
    enchiladas xmas style from Sadie's on 4th in ABQ... I miss NM food (born and raised there)