Page 1445 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1440 1441 1442 1443 1444 1445 1446 1447 1448 1449 1450 ... LastLast
Results 36,101 to 36,125 of 41810
    Big story right now is Britain. Most experts predicted disaster when BJ announced Freedom Day, but, just the opposite. Maybe the Delta variant is a final burnout?

Any disussion on the new of the Delta variant in the UK? They're a couple weeks ahead of us on the variant, so perhaps this is encouraging news:

Something strange is happening in Britain. Covid cases are plummeting instead of soaring.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2d8_story.html

Drop in UK COVID-19 cases indicates infection surge may be past peak
    https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...-4-2021-07-26/

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Big story right now is Britain. Most experts predicted disaster when BJ announced Freedom Day, but, just the opposite. Maybe the Delta variant is a final burnout?
    Ha. Ninja'd.

It seems like every time cases go up that rapidly they are followed by a decline that's just as rapid. We've seen it time and time again at both local levels and countrywide.

The new cases graph I saw on the New York Times today indicates we could be reaching the top of the wave in the U.S. right now. Hopefully we'll see new cases start to fall in the next week or so.

The U.K. has high vaccination rates. Recent studies show not only do vaccines stop people from getting sick with Delta, but vaccines also help clear viral loads MUCH faster.

Something similar happened with the Covid-19 outbreak in Provincetown where the surrounding community has high rates of vaccination. In the past when a superspreader event occurred it spread to the community at large but thanks to vaccines breaking transmission chains it fizzled out.

UK to start giving boosters.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

When can I make my appointment for a booster?

I'm guessing that will be an annual jab for years, like a flu shot.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Texas has surpassed New York for covid deaths... where is the criticism of Greg Abbot and his shitty policies? New York got nursing homes wrong and then corrected course... but so much for being pro-life, eh Greg?

Texas 53,420 deaths
    New York 53,274 deaths
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Any disussion on the new of the Delta variant in the UK? They're a couple weeks ahead of us on the variant, so perhaps this is encouraging news:

Something strange is happening in Britain. Covid cases are plummeting instead of soaring.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...2d8_story.html

Drop in UK COVID-19 cases indicates infection surge may be past peak
    https://www.reuters.com/business/hea...-4-2021-07-26/
    Something to watch for sure. They do wear a lot of facemasks over there. That said, cases were rising quickly, then cases started falling for reasons unclear to me, as simultaneously they went for fewer restrictions. The expected case surge from the reopening should hit about now. Maybe Boris said go party, and the people stayed home instead? Covid is affected by behaviors, not policies.

I'm watching. Really want to see some more areas succeed, especially succeeding with a strategy other than total suppression. Americans need to suffer a lot more before we'll copy the success of places like NZ or China. I'm also watching King County - 65% vaxxed and the surge is small there so far.

When can I make my appointment for a booster?

I'm guessing that will be an annual jab for years, like a flu shot.
    Flu requires an annual shot because every year the viruses are different. It's not a booster, it's a shot for a new virus. It remains to be seen how long initial covid vaccination lasts, and how long initial plus booster lasts, and whether we will need boosters or new formulations. Most vaccinations require 3 or more doses. Some require boosters into adulthood--tdap is every 10 years. Stop guessing and wait to see how it plays out.

Given the number of vaccines that require multiple doses I'm sure politics played into CDC not talking about the need for more shots from the beginning. Especially with most of the world waiting for first doses.

Quote Originally Posted by ml242 View Post
    Texas has surpassed New York for covid deaths... where is the criticism of Greg Abbot and his shitty policies? New York got nursing homes wrong and then corrected course... but so much for being pro-life, eh Greg?

Texas 53,420 deaths
    New York 53,274 deaths
    Now adjust for population. Why is this so difficult?

What a surprise, the "experts" were wrong again. The UK should be the nail in the coffin for any further NPI's.

ok, first adjust for context of a brand new disease ripping through the most vulnerable in a few weeks after landing in the densest part of the country (outside of your ears) first.

now compare that to having the benefit of hindsight, vaccines, lower population density, warmer weather, a younger population and other factors that help the disease spread.

and knowing all that, what is the excuse for the plague rats coughing all over each other over the last year?

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Something to watch for sure. They do wear a lot of facemasks over there. That said, cases were rising quickly, then cases started falling for reasons unclear to me, as simultaneously they went for fewer restrictions. The expected case surge from the reopening should hit about now. Maybe Boris said go party, and the people stayed home instead? Covid is affected by behaviors, not policies.

I'm watching. Really want to see some more areas succeed, especially succeeding with a strategy other than total suppression. Americans need to suffer a lot more before we'll copy the success of places like NZ or China. I'm also watching King County - 65% vaxxed and the surge is small there so far.
    I just don't understand how people still think it's as simple as people misbehave -> cases go up, people follow the rules -> cases go down. We have seen these surges in cases followed by abrupt falls regardless of any interventions all over the world. It is entirely predictable. The same thing will happen in the US in a few weeks.

ok, first adjust for context of a brand new disease ripping through the most vulnerable in a few weeks after landing in the densest part of the country (outside of your ears) first.

now compare that to having the benefit of hindsight, vaccines, lower population density, warmer weather, a younger population and other factors that help the disease spread.

and knowing all that, what is the excuse for the plague rats coughing all over each other over the last year?
    Sure all those factors are relevant, but does that make it acceptable to not adjust for population? Especially when they aren't even close?

Population density doesn't seem to matter much by the way:
    https://www.jhsph.edu/news/news-rele...ath-rates.html
    https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...demic-dangers/

How about the factor of the vaccine considering that 99% of the deaths in Texas were in the unvaccinated since February?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07...inated-deaths/

Density may not matter much anymore but it mattered for those sedentary people in old age homes who were most vulnerable and getting the max viral load, same as health care workers.

Who has more covid deaths per capita in 2021, New York or Texas?

We haven't beaten the virus yet but you and your anti-vax troll crowd are trying to win the argument that it will "always be here" by ensuring it through your bad behavior.

There is nothing stopping us from getting to close to 100% here, and then tackling the rest of the world. Who knows, worked for Polio! Since the unwashed and unvaxxed keep spreading the fucking thing, we get to keep arguing about it. How fun.

I'll let you adjust for population, but since 6/30/20:

New York State: 21,499 fatalities
    Texas: 50,939

Lindsey Graham, vaccinated gets the Delta Variant and passes it around.

COLUMBIA, S.C. — Sen. Lindsey Graham has become the first senator to disclose a breakthrough infection after being vaccinated against the coronavirus, saying Monday he is “very glad” he received the vaccine, without which his current symptoms would be “far worse.”

In a statement issued Monday afternoon, the South Carolina Republican said he “started having flu-like symptoms Saturday night” and went to the doctor Monday morning.

After being notified of his positive test, Graham said he would quarantine for 10 days.

“I feel like I have a sinus infection, and at present time, I have mild symptoms,” the 66-year-old Graham said. “I am very glad I was vaccinated because without vaccination, I am certain I would not feel as well as I do now. My symptoms would be far worse.”

According to spokesman Kevin Bishop, Graham attended an event over the weekend hosted by Sen. Joe Manchin on his houseboat and attended by other senators. Sam Runyon, a spokeswoman for Manchin, said the West Virginia Democrat “is fully vaccinated and following the CDC guidelines for those exposed to a COVID positive individual.”

Manchin received his second dose of the vaccine earlier this year. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, fully vaccinated people determined to have been in close contact with someone who has COVID-19 do not need to quarantine if they are asymptomatic but should be tested within 5 days and wear a mask indoors for 4 days or until testing negative.

Graham, who was vaccinated in December, has long been a proponent of vaccination, saying during a visit this spring to the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston that “the sooner we get everybody vaccinated, the quicker we can get back to normal.”

Graham’s infection comes on the heels of updated CDC guidance urging even fully vaccinated people to return to wearing masks indoors in areas of high coronavirus transmission, citing the surge of the highly contagious delta variant. Recent analysis has shown that breakthrough cases of COVID-19, with mild or no symptoms, still remain rare.

Both congressional chambers have been adopting stricter face covering regulations amid a resurgence in COVID-19 cases across the country. The House has returned to a mask requirement, while the Senate has recommended medical-grade face coverings.

Graham, who was wearing a mask, did not answer questions from reporters on Capitol Hill earlier Monday, prior to the statement being issued. Because of Senate votes, Graham was not in attendance at Friday night’s Silver Elephant dinner, the South Carolina Republican Party’s signature annual fundraiser and an event attended by hundreds, including former Secretary of State Mike Pompeo, a headlining speaker.

___
    Fake news.
    The NJs are going to roast Graham for being so weak as to have contracted RINO-rona.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Manchin is apparently big on hosting other senators and other politicians on his houseboat. Hopefully he will start inviting more Republicans and fewer Democrats.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Manchin is apparently big on hosting other senators and other politicians on his houseboat. Hopefully he will start inviting more Republicans and fewer Democrats.
    Ha!
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Hopefull manchin goes down with the gqp dickheads. Manchin is their most effective weapon. The Kochs best purchase atm

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

In all seriousness, I am not a big Graham fan but at least he had the basic decency to get vaccinated and acknowledge it, unlike the drumpf apologists that have been getting poked in private.

He's such a coward. It scared the shit out of him so bad that he "coughed" up that fact, can be the only reason. Look for the backtrack

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

How about the factor of the vaccine considering that 99% of the deaths in Texas were in the unvaccinated since February?

https://www.texastribune.org/2021/07...inated-deaths/
    What's your point?

Density may not matter much anymore but it mattered for those sedentary people in old age homes who were most vulnerable and getting the max viral load, same as health care workers.
    It's not like the studies ignored this time period.

Who has more covid deaths per capita in 2021, New York or Texas?
    Why cherry pick? By 2021 some percentage of the people at serious risk of dying from COVID in NY already did in 2020.

We haven't beaten the virus yet but you and your anti-vax troll crowd are trying to win the argument that it will "always be here" by ensuring it through your bad behavior.

There is nothing stopping us from getting to close to 100% here, and then tackling the rest of the world. Who knows, worked for Polio! Since the unwashed and unvaxxed keep spreading the fucking thing, we get to keep arguing about it. How fun.
    Did you miss this? https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...mask-guidance/

“I think the central issue is that vaccinated people are probably involved to a substantial extent in the transmission of delta.”

Vaccination isn't going to stop COVID.

define substantial.