Page 1413 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1408 1409 1410 1411 1412 1413 1414 1415 1416 1417 1418 ... LastLast
Results 35,301 to 35,325 of 41810
    Surprise--vaccines don't work well for immunocompromised patients. (Those folks don't do so well when there isn't a pandemic either.)
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...ines-response/

Update on the Wuhan lab leak theory: Setting aside that some right-wingers have grabbed onto the Wade piece and run with it (per their usual "take a grain of truth and pile bullshit on top of it" rhetorical style), some serious scientists are asking for better research into Covid's origins. Link, Link.

Yet more investigation is still needed to determine the origin of the pandemic. Theories of accidental release from a lab and zoonotic spillover both remain viable. Knowing how COVID-19 emerged is critical for informing global strategies to mitigate the risk of future outbreaks.

No mask for fully vaccinated people at work.
    So weird walking around with no mask.
    It’s been almost a year since we came back to work.

My gym is also going mask free for fully vaccinated people today.
    It’ll be so nice to do cardio without mask!

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Update on the Wuhan lab leak theory: Setting aside that some right-wingers have grabbed onto the Wade piece and run with it (per their usual "take a grain of truth and pile bullshit on top of it" rhetorical style), some serious scientists are asking for better research into Covid's origins. Link, Link.
    I don't disagree that more research on origins is needed but I'm not sure how much good it will do to mitigate future outbreaks. If it came from a lab--well we already know that strict control measures need to be followed in biohazard labs. We know pandemics can come from animals. Closing the wet markets seems like a good idea whether or not a wet market had anything to do with C19. It could be many years--and several more pandemics--before we find a definite link to C19 in bats or pandas or whatever. There have been 3 coronavirus outbreaks in the 21st C. Seems like a strategy to deal with coronaviruses is the urgent need--antivirals, a pan-coronavirus vaccine, developing the capacity to make billions of vaccine doses and N95s in a hurry, . And wouldn't it be ironic if patient zero of the next pandemic was a scientist poking around in bat caves looking for the source of C19.

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    No mask for fully vaccinated people at work.
    So weird walking around with no mask.
    It’s been almost a year since we came back to work.

My gym is also going mask free for fully vaccinated people today.
    It’ll be so nice to do cardio without mask!
    Our offices are not fully open yet, but your post makes me wonder when that will happen. I know a lot of the bigger companies in OR are still work from home (Nike, Adidas, Microsoft, Amazon, etc.), but it would seem like they'll want people in their seats sooner rather than later. There's a lot of money invested in those campuses. It should be interesting to see how it goes for people who sold their homes and moved away thinking they'd be able to WFH forever. Maybe it will pan out?

Anyhow, you're in NYC right? our NY office is still WFH, but with the option of going in if fully vaxxed. Does your place of business require people to be vaxed to go into the office? and if so, are they asking for proof or just believing people that claim to be vaxed?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Our offices are not fully open yet, but your post makes me wonder when that will happen. I know a lot of the bigger companies in OR are still work from home (Nike, Adidas, Microsoft, Amazon, etc.), but it would seem like they'll want people in their seats sooner rather than later. There's a lot of money invested in those campuses. It should be interesting to see how it goes for people who sold their homes and moved away thinking they'd be able to WFH forever. Maybe it will pan out?

Anyhow, you're in NYC right? our NY office is still WFH, but with the option of going in if fully vaxxed. Does your place of business require people to be vaxed to go into the office? and if so, are they asking for proof or just believing people that claim to be vaxed?
    I live and work in Westchester which’s right outside of NYC.
    Boyfriend works in the city and his office is closed til September as many others.
    He does have an option to go in once a week if he wants to.
    He goes into the city every Thursday just to get out of the apartment and says it’s not the same down there.
    Over populated homeless, empty shops, stores and restaurants and growing violence.
    It’s gonna take some time to recover back to how it was before.

Boyfriend works in the city and his office is closed til September as many others.
    He goes into the city every Thursday just to get out of the apartment and says it’s not the same down there.
    Over populated homeless, empty shops, stores and restaurants and growing violence.
    Sounds like Portland these days. IMO it's going to take people being forced to be back in their seats at offices for city centers to recover fully.

respectfully, to You and Adolph - I don't think it is ever going to be as it was before --

too much can be saved by having people work remotely / work-from-home ;

I believe restaurants are forever altered ( though that may only be for about twenty-five percent of us ) ;

of greatest concern from your post are the ideas of growing homelessness and growing violence...

society is evolving ; disparity continues to grow...

I am not a city person, but I have friends who are city people...

Good luck, I wish you well... skiJ

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    respectfully, to You and Adolph - I don't think it is ever going to be as it was before --

too much can be saved by having people work remotely / work-from-home ;

I believe restaurants are forever altered ( though that may only be for about twenty-five percent of us ) ;

of greatest concern from your post are the ideas of growing homelessness and growing violence...

I am not a city person, but I have friends who are city people...

Good luck, I wish you well... skiJ
    Hey, don't get me wrong, I agree..this is a game changer. That said, some jobs, some companies are not going to be interested in having their employees remote for ever. There are also efficiencies gained by having people in offices together for collaboration. Zoom sucks..it worked well enough for pandemic purposes, but it's not as effective as having people in the same room IMO.

Conferences...I don't know how many virtual conferences you've been to the passed year, but I dislike them even more than in person conferences. There is almost no chance of truly networking with new people (there are breakout rooms and whatnot but they suck, and I've never seen them work well for that purpose). I just think it's overly simplistic to say "yeah, companies save money so they'll want people to WFH for ever!" Not that you're saying that, but it's sort of the common refrain I hear.

Personally, I don't like to be forced to WFH all the time. I like an option to go to an office or WFH. Maybe I'm unique in that perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    <snip>

Conferences...I don't know how many virtual conferences you've been to the passed year, but I dislike them even more than in person conferences.
    Yeah - virtual conferences are barely passable... and not being able to escape for a week to eat out on the company dime sucks.

Maybe Bolivia is on to some rad mitigation serum

La Paz, May 19 (EFE).- Efforts are underway in Bolivia to produce a hyperimmune serum to treat moderate and severe Covid-19 cases with antibodies from donkeys.

Gil Fernandez, a director at the Bolivian National Institute of Health Laboratories (INLASA), tells Efe the serum is being developed using plasma from three donkeys.

The serum is estimated to be “at least 50 times more potent than human plasma” in combating Covid-19, according to Fernandez.

Inlasa, the first lab in the world to extract plasma from donkeys, named the animals AstraZeneca, Sinopharm and Sputnik after the vaccines used in the vaccination campaign in Bolivia.

Scientists decided to use donkey antibodies since the animals are accustomed to living at high altitudes such as those in La Paz, where the laboratory is located, he added.

Bolivia uses plasma donations from recovered patients to fight off the disease, with regulations promoting such donations.

Since the start of the pandemic, Bolivia has recorded 337,441 infections and 13,635 deaths.
    https://www.laprensalatina.com/boliv...reat-covid-19/

With excess death estimates for Bolivia at about 250/100,000 (a lot higher than the US (180) but half of Peru´s 500), they need all the help they can get.

Name:  Tracking-covid-19-excess-deaths-across-countries-The-Economist.jpg
Views: 1327
Size:  29.5 KB

https://www.economist.com/graphic-de...deaths-tracker

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    Ask Rebekah Jones.
    Yeah...she was a complete fraud.

But, if you can make it there, you can make it anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    Evolving isn’t the word I would use…
    But I agree with you in general J

When you gotta wear your mask outdoors at all costs but you forgot to bring the dog poop bags. What to do?!

Lol wtf? Hilarious how somebody with her particular history is worried about COVID of all things. Seems there are bigger pathogenic fish to fry if you know what I mean. LMAO

Yapper yapping about the (non) apocalypse following Texas' no mask mandate. Summary - behavior didn't change. People don't care what Abbott (or any official) says and make their own decisions.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...effect/618942/

My favorite quote is the reference to "rules following liberals." Leaves one to wonder when "rules following" switched sides.

I have some workers installing a new heat pump/ac unit and I mentioned to them I was vaxxed and their reply was they didn't care which I took to mean they weren't. No masks, no vax at least they are outside.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

No mask, no vax, ....... no work.
    <shot gun pump>

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Yapper yapping about the (non) apocalypse following Texas' no mask mandate. Summary - behavior didn't change. People don't care what Abbott (or any official) says and make their own decisions.
    https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/ar...effect/618942/

My favorite quote is the reference to "rules following liberals." Leaves one to wonder when "rules following" switched sides.
    Nobody switched sides. Liberals follow rules. Conservatives make other people follow rules.

Ugh....sick.

Wanna take bets? Cold or break-through Covid from going out to breakfast last Tuesday?

Will get tested today. I'll let you know.

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the water.......
    Last edited by KQ; 05-22-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

I'll take that bet: it's a cold

Here's a piece of anecdotal evidence that should make you feel at least a little better. At exactly two weeks after his second moderna, a friend was exposed to someone with covid for a significant amount of time over a few days, right in the most contagious stage. The covid guy ended up in the hospital, and my friend quarantined himself and got a number of tests. All negative, and he's fine.

Doesn't prove anything, but definitely supports the notion that the vax works. And the number of breakthroughs is still statistically minuscule.

Good luck.

X2 on the cold bet. Plus it's allergy season. I often get a sinus infection this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Not forever child, just a little longer. Save the meltdown. I've have gotten used to seeing yoga pants where they don't belong.
    On the right person, yoga pants belong everywhere. You shut your whore mouth old man.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Vibes for KQ. Like others said, statistically probably not Covid, but who knows. Good for you getting tested, keep us informed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters