Page 755 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 750 751 752 753 754 755 756 757 758 759 760 ... LastLast
Results 18,851 to 18,875 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    A city block in Manhattan is equal to three in Seattle.
    a typical north-south city block, I doubt it. A typical east-west, maybe, because it's equal to (I'm guessing) about 3 typical north-south blocks.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    a typical north-south city block, I doubt it. A typical east-west, maybe, because it's equal to (I'm guessing) about 3 typical north-south blocks.
    Most blocks in Manhattan are 900 (E-W) by 264 (N-S). Blocks in downtown Seattle are 240x240.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    Remember: if it inconveniences Core Shot and/or hurts his feelings, it's an overreaction to this. His ability to conduct himself however he wants is more important than your life or health.

Those are some...uhhhh....sources you're reading there.
    COVID deaths are under, due to lack of testing, delay on long term care home reporting and Republican governors (not all) standing on the stats people to fudge the data. See the recent firing of the Florida GIS manager for being unwilling to change data.

We'll likely never get good data in the US other than state-level pockets.
    New Hampshire called. They want you to turn in your citizenship since your a masshole.

Live free or just cower in fear like a good Karen.

New Hampshire used to be a bastion of freedom in a sea of New England nanny states. Massholes moved to Manchester and fucked all that up.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    I find it ironic that pro lifers are (typically) the ones not wearing masks.
    Well, ironic, but hardly surprising. Obviously, "pro life" is cynical euphemism, from the start.

Outside of the Catholics, Christians didn't care all that much about abortion, until Falwell, pissed that Liberty University's segregation policies threatened its tax-exempt status, decided to politicize his flock, and abortion was latched onto as a unifying issue.

Okay, sorry about the polyass. In other news, Yosemite NP just announced that starting in early June, there will be a staged reopening, initially opening only some campgrounds (I'm guessing not Camp 4), only some lodging, and only some commercial facilities. And: Day use (as in, just driving in and hanging out for the day, gaping at El Cap or whatever) will be limited by reservation. A mention about one-way trails, which I assume means that Vernal Fall bridge will be a loop using the horse trail. No mention about wilderness access, but I assume it will be allowed.

Also, I called up Stanislaus NF, Groveland office, and they said that roads that are usually open in their district are open, but facilities are closed, wilderness permits aren't being issued yet, and expect status to change around June 1.

No word on when Lassen is opening yet, but hopefully in time to get a nice run down its west slope.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Most blocks in Manhattan are 900 (E-W) by 264 (N-S). Blocks in downtown Seattle are 240x240.
    what units? And that doesn't seem right. First, E-W are longer, not the other way around, and having lived in Seattle and grown up in Manhattan, downtown Seattle blocks are much more similar to N-S Manhattan blocks than they are to E-W ones, from my recollection (haven't been back to Seattle in 20+ years).

Obviously, these are all just generalities, as streets like Broadway fuck every "rule" up, and the very southern tip of Manhattan also fucks this up.

EDIT: either you edited before I clicked reply or I am dyslexic, because I could swear your original post had the N-S with the bigger number. And now that makes sense, Seattle blocks are similar to N-S Manhattan blocks.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    Well, ironic, but hardly surprising. Obviously, "pro life" is cynical euphemism, from the start.

Outside of the Catholics, Christians didn't care all that much about abortion, until Falwell, pissed that Liberty University's segregation policies threatened its tax-exempt status, decided to politicize his flock, and abortion was latched onto as a unifying issue.

save the baby

kill the doctor
    Move upside and let the man go through...

EDIT: either you edited before I clicked reply or I am dyslexic, because I could swear your original post had the N-S with the bigger number. And now that makes sense, Seattle blocks are similar to N-S Manhattan blocks.
    Yes, I edited after I realized I mixed up which direction was the long direction.

And, as you said, it's not real consistent. Looking at a map that long dimension doesn't even seem consistent for all the numbered avenues. For example, the distance between 5th and 6th is quite a bit bigger than between 2nd and 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    because of the hills in Manhattan?
    Because of the stress.

Mofro, you ever had to outrun...in a pair of Berluti slip-ons nonetheless...an angry Guatemalan dressed as Cookie Monster chasing you down to get $2 after taking a picture? Those fuckers will beat you to a pulp for $2.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    New Hampshire called. They want you to turn in your citizenship since your a masshole.

New Hampshire used to be a bastion of freedom in a sea of New England nanny states. Massholes moved to Manchester and fucked all that up.
    Pfffttt. You know little of the state. We try to use common sense and not get wrapped up in dumbass signaling when it endangers our aging population. Things like daycares have been generally open for essential workers throughout.

This entire thread is filled with your whining at being inconvenienced. We get it, you can stop talking anytime.
    I'm not afraid of this for me, but with an asthmatic wife and an elderly parents, why take chances when the day is bad, PPE is limited and we don't have to?

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Is that from regular breathing or coughing or sneezing? Just curious. Sure doesn't look like 2 meters does a hell of a lot though.
    It is dispersing in a 3D gas. You are looking at a poor 2D chart. A sneeze has a more direct trajectory than a cough. And, again, there is a huge difference between a confined controlled space and the great outdoors.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    New York City people are actually pretty healthy, relative to the rest of the country. They walk a lot. And that will increase as more avoid public transit.
    You mean they don’t drive to the mail and chuck filet. Flabbergasted.

It always blows my mind that rural bumpkins think New Yorkers are unhealthy. Even worse when the suburbanites assume that.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post

Either that or the live free gettin addicts and die crew. Hard to tell.

Go back to our idiot hike and shovel that shit some where else.

A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Ain't the rog from there
    All I needs to know about it
    Actually I thought coreshot and ride it were gonna loose it in March
    But I was wrong
    I hope to buy them them both a shot if anybody bakes at djongos western skioff qualude bongathilon in the hole thing
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

what units? And that doesn't seem right. First, E-W are longer, not the other way around, and having lived in Seattle and grown up in Manhattan, downtown Seattle blocks are much more similar to N-S Manhattan blocks than they are to E-W ones, from my recollection (haven't been back to Seattle in 20+ years).

Obviously, these are all just generalities, as streets like Broadway fuck every "rule" up, and the very southern tip of Manhattan also fucks this up.

I went to school at NYU. I needed surf wax, and there was a shop up around 125th. I walked from 10th. It was a rare morning of fresh snow with about 8” overnight. The park was wondrous. I walked home, too, as I spent my train fare on a second bar of wax so I wouldn’t have to walk miles in the snow uphill to get the next one. .

Love all the people talking bout NH without any experience, just like your COVID statements. Ottime gets a pass as a Mainer.

Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    Is that from regular breathing or coughing or sneezing? Just curious. Sure doesn't look like 2 meters does a hell of a lot though.
    Anyone that's done any sort of exercising outdoors should already know this if even just intuitively. Forceful exhalations carry some distance...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    because of the hills in Manhattan?
    No earthquakes and lots of people meant footprints big enough for huge buildings were going to be necessary in the not too distant future so when the grid was laid out the people doing it were smart enough to realize this.
    Yes, I edited after I realized I mixed up which direction was the long direction.

And, as you said, it's not real consistent. Looking at a map that long dimension doesn't even seem consistent for all the numbered avenues. For example, the distance between 5th and 6th is quite a bit bigger than between 2nd and 3rd.
    Geography. Between the shape of the island as well as cliffs and wetlands that were "in the way" the spacing is off in a bunch of places.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Wow, check out West Virginia. I guess residents of the "Mountain State" aren't doing a lot of climbing on those mountains.
    WV is an entire state of underutilized recreation potential. So many cool places to hike, camp, bike, climb, and paddle and most of them are empty. I haven’t found anywhere else that you can so quickly/easily go from a city to the woods and complete isolation. Definitely sad in a lot of ways, but also kind of awesome.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    I went to school at NYU. I needed surf wax, and there was a shop up around 125th. I walked from 10th. It was a rare morning of fresh snow with about 8” overnight. The park was wondrous. I walked home, too, as I spent my train fare on a second bar of wax so I wouldn’t have to walk miles in the snow uphill to get the next one. .
    That's about 6 miles each way with some pretty solid hills along the way. I don't think people realize how hilly that island really is.

NH is, for the most part, pretty sensible and mostly has its shit together, it is a little red for my tastes but I could live with it when I don't have to write an income tax check.

What's the news today? I've been in the yard planting and making food happen since early today.

Seattle has hills. Manhattan doesn't. Manhattan has some minor undulations on the upper east side.

(just trying to redirect bickering to something else, jeez people)
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by bagtagley View Post
    WV is an entire state of underutilized recreation potential. So many cool places to hike, camp, bike, climb, and paddle and most of them are empty. I haven’t found anywhere else that you can so quickly/easily go from a city to the woods and complete isolation. Definitely sad in a lot of ways, but also kind of awesome.
    Well you know... mountain mama and all those country roads........... it's almost heaven.........
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by bobz View Post
    In other news, Yosemite NP just announced that starting in early June, there will be a staged reopening, initially opening only some campgrounds (I'm guessing not Camp 4), only some lodging, and only some commercial facilities. And: Day use (as in, just driving in and hanging out for the day, gaping at El Cap or whatever) will be limited by reservation. A mention about one-way trails, which I assume means that Vernal Fall bridge will be a loop using the horse trail. No mention about wilderness access, but I assume it will be allowed.
    I've been curious how they'll handle PCT thru hikers. Seems there are plenty who've said F covid and are doing their hikes anyways despite closures and pleas from PCTA org not to thru hike "because the trail isn't closed". These aren't day users obviously and some of their resupply points will be closed. Was wondering if the park stayed closed if they'd have a ranger sitting on trail at the park boundary turning them all back. They have a ways to go but Sequoia/Kings Canyon are closer and closed for now also.

But it's not the summer travel season yet. I have a feeling it's going to be difficult to extend the closure into summer. Could just be wishful thinking on my part, because I plan to travel to B.C. as soon as I'm able.
    I'm assuming there'll still be a mandatory 14 day quarantine in effect once the border re-opens. Seems like it might be a while before that sort of thing goes away.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    You mean they don’t drive to the mail and chuck filet. Flabbergasted.

It always blows my mind that rural bumpkins think New Yorkers are unhealthy. Even worse when the suburbanites assume that.
    Fatties in this area are very few and far between.
    Gimme five, I'm still alive!
    Ain't no luck, I learned to duck!

New Hampshire--drove into Pinkham Nahtch after MN, slept by the side of the road, about --10F. Walking up and down the road after dawn in our down parkas, trying to get warm, old guy in coveralls and shirtsleeves coming the other way say "Mite nippy this mornin' boys. Ayah."

WV--climbing at Seneca Rocks, general store with old guys in coveralls (what is it about coveralls--I guess they stay up better than pants when your gut is too big) sitting around the potbelly stove playing checkers. Like a Norman Rockwell painting. Probably a Walmart there now.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    I'm assuming there'll still be a mandatory 14 day quarantine in effect once the border re-opens. Seems like it might be a while before that sort of thing goes away.
    FWIW I've seen about a dozen BC plates here in Bellingham over the last six weeks or so. When you do the 24 hr timelapse of the border cam there are a few cars driving through (both directions).