Page 1402 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1397 1398 1399 1400 1401 1402 1403 1404 1405 1406 1407 ... LastLast
Results 35,026 to 35,050 of 41810
    ^When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro...

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    True dat

Sent from the Utility Muffin Research Kitchen

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Interesting article, but it should be pointed out that medium dot com has also run articles claiming the singers in ABBA are the result of a secret Nazi breeding experiment.

Sent from my iPad using TGR Forums
    I knew it!

I was thinking that about tgapp in the ullr plea thread.
    It's a war of the mind and we're armed to the teeth.

Quote Originally Posted by MultiVerse View Post
    Yeah, I guess the question is whether the fact there are other known coronaviruses with a furin cleavage site, just not very closely related, suggests anything? Your response(s) indicate unless new viruses are discovered then lab involvement is likely.

FWIW, I think an accidental release scenario is as likely as any other so my curiosity revolves around whether SARS2 is natural or manipulated in a lab.

As others have noted, one thing the Nicholas Wade article makes clear is gain‐of‐function experiments are incredibly dangerous but offer very little value fighting naturally occurring viruses.
    Seems its like looking to fix a problem that is likely to never exist...so weird, but I guess that grant money is a powerful thing.

Quote Originally Posted by subtle plague View Post
    I was thinking that about tgapp in the ullr plea thread.
    hey now, hey now, don't kink shame

unless it's furry shit, then have at it

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Michael Lewis is out promoting his Covid pandemic book. Looks like another gem. This is a great interview with him about the book.

https://castbox.fm/vb/379285799

Barely mentions Trump, and, of all people, Dubya is an early hero. Typical cast of Lewis outsiders fighting entrenched institutions.

Come on now... get it? Anyone? Bueller?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Sean Connery voice: I'll take Fur and Cleavage for 200, Alex.

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Alaska psychiatrist charged with punching man in Juneau grocery store acquitted on basis of self-defense

An Alaska psychiatrist criminally charged for punching a man in a grocery store in June was acquitted after a two-day trial in Juneau last month.

The misdemeanor assault charge against Joshua Sonkiss, 50, made headlines during the tense pandemic summer in part because police said the psychiatrist punched a man in the face because he wasn’t wearing a mask.

That’s not what happened, Sonkiss says.

In an interview last week, Sonkiss said he went to a Juneau Fred Meyer to pick up groceries and cleaning supplies. He was standing at the checkout register when a man and his young son stepped close to him. Sonkiss says he asked the two to step back. They were not wearing masks, but many people weren’t at grocery stores in Juneau around that time, according to Sonkiss.

Sonkiss says the man then said he’d “beat his ass” and “came at him.” No one disputes that Sonkiss threw a single punch, which broke the man’s jaw.

The injured man, Bowen Dallmann, 54, could not be reached for this story.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...-self-defense/

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Come on now... get it? Anyone? Bueller?
    Sigh. Heavy sigh.

UW study on actual COVID-19 death toll:
    The COVID-19 pandemic has killed more than twice as many people around the world as the official death counts show, according to a new analysis by the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington.

The official global death toll as of Thursday stands at about 3.26 million, but the new analysis found that COVID-19 has actually caused about 6.9 million deaths worldwide.

The updated analysis shows that the United States has had more COVID-19 deaths to-date than any other country, a total of more than 905,000.
    https://komonews.com/news/local/uw-s...-official-toll

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    "The updated analysis shows that the United States has had more COVID-19 deaths to-date than any other country, a total of more than 905,000."
    India: "Hold my beer."

As a mad scientist who has waffled between making vaccines to improve humanity and dreaming up the Sar-bola like viruses to wipe out humanity, I'm a little jealous if someone else beat me to it on the latter one. But if Sars2 was lab derived, why use a poor furin cleavage site like RRAR with only one previous occurance in the database, over other more well established sites for furin? Codon optimized but not amino acid optimized seems like poor planning if it was by plan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7839419/

For SARS-CoV-2, early studies showed that the S1/S2 junction contains an insert with two additional basic residues, P–R–R–A (P, proline; R, arginine; A, alanine), that were not present in SARS-CoV or its closest bat ancestor viruses.(14,15) This insert forms a P–R–R–A–R sequence and while it does contain the minimum furin recognition motif, R–X–X–R, it diverges from the preferred R–X–K/R–R motif because the SARS-CoV-2 sequence has an A in the P3 location instead of an R (16,17) (Figure​Figure11). Intriguingly, the only other known example of this insert on FurinDB, (18) a database of furin substrates, is found in proaerolysin, a bacterial toxin, and was determined to be activated by furin.(19)
    When I designed the prefusion Spike we are using in neutralization and serology assays last January, I altered the site from (P)RRARR, to (P) SSASS mostly so we would get a full length product, but at least in part just because it spelled ASS.

Also, an intermediate host for potential transmission from bats to animal-X to humans, has never been shown for either human coronas NL63 (discovered 2004, binds to Ace2 but non-overlapping with Sars1/2, no furin site) or HKU1 (discovered 2005, has furin site RRKRR, does not bind Ace2) which have been assumed to go direct bat to human.
    Move upside and let the man go through...

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Sigh. Heavy sigh.
    What? I can't be the only one who read "furry cleavage" everytime someone posted "furin cleavage."

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post

The updated analysis shows that the United States has had more COVID-19 deaths to-date than any other country, a total of more than 905,000.

Annually <300 Washingtonians die from the flu so yeah... NOT THE FLU.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    As a mad scientist who has waffled between making vaccines to improve humanity and dreaming up the Sar-bola like viruses to wipe out humanity, I'm a little jealous if someone else beat me to it on the latter one. But if Sars2 was lab derived, why use a poor furin cleavage site like RRAR with only one previous occurance in the database, over other more well established sites for furin? Codon optimized but not amino acid optimized seems like poor planning if it was by plan.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7839419/

When I designed the prefusion Spike we are using in neutralization and serology assays last January, I altered the site from (P)RRARR, to (P) SSASS mostly so we would get a full length product, but at least in part just because it spelled ASS.

Also, an intermediate host for potential transmission from bats to animal-X to humans, has never been shown for either human coronas NL63 (discovered 2004, binds to Ace2 but non-overlapping with Sars1/2, no furin site) or HKU1 (discovered 2005, has furin site RRKRR, does not bind Ace2) which have been assumed to go direct bat to human.
    I laffed at the part in bold. Can't say I haven't done the same in the past although I always lemented the fact that I couldn't spell out FUCK. If you truly want to go nerdsville, I once created a bike jersey in which I used codons to spell out "IM IN PAIN" for a super long, super hilly charity event. Imagine my surprise when no one got the joke.

Doesn't this table suggest it's computationally good?

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-06 at 3.11.13 PM.png
Views: 468
Size:  182.0 KB

Annually <300 Washingtonians die from the flu so yeah... NOT THE FLU.
    Plenty of...well...morons like to point out that the "death rate" of COVID-19 is fairly low if you consider total deaths to the entire population of individual countries or the world, but anyone with half a brain can recognize this is a pretty silly metric to use. How about instead talk about COVID-19 deaths as a percentage of total deaths? In a normal year roughly three million Americans die. Last year about half a million died due to COVID-19 (per the official stats). I'd say one in every six deaths is pretty damn significant. This new data indicates the actual toll is probably more like one in five if not one in four. Pretty difficult to argue that that is "no big deal" and "overblown."

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    ... if Sars2 was lab derived, why use a poor furin cleavage site like RRAR with only one previous occurrence in the database, over other more well established sites for furin? Codon optimized but not amino acid optimized seems like poor planning if it was by plan...
    Thank you for pointing that out!

But then perhaps not necessarily directly engineered, but motif could still have arisen from serial passage..?

Whether serial passage in vitro in some P2 Wuhan lab or naturally occurring in some guano-infested cave is anyone's guess of course.

In any case, less of a "smoking gun" that David Baltimore says.

Which is why I trust the word of somebody I've skied with more than somebody I've played softball against.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    ...although I always lemented the fact that I couldn't spell out FUCK.
    you just need selenocysteine

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Alaska psychiatrist charged with punching man in Juneau grocery store acquitted on basis of self-defense

An Alaska psychiatrist criminally charged for punching a man in a grocery store in June was acquitted after a two-day trial in Juneau last month.

The misdemeanor assault charge against Joshua Sonkiss, 50, made headlines during the tense pandemic summer in part because police said the psychiatrist punched a man in the face because he wasn’t wearing a mask.

That’s not what happened, Sonkiss says.

In an interview last week, Sonkiss said he went to a Juneau Fred Meyer to pick up groceries and cleaning supplies. He was standing at the checkout register when a man and his young son stepped close to him. Sonkiss says he asked the two to step back. They were not wearing masks, but many people weren’t at grocery stores in Juneau around that time, according to Sonkiss.

Sonkiss says the man then said he’d “beat his ass” and “came at him.” No one disputes that Sonkiss threw a single punch, which broke the man’s jaw.

The injured man, Bowen Dallmann, 54, could not be reached for this story.

https://www.adn.com/alaska-news/crim...-self-defense/
    I went on a bike trip with a psychiatrist and he was by far the craziest person on the trip,

he told me that freediving spear fisherman are next level crazy

which is of course one of his hobbies
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Interesting case report out of University of Colorado re: treatment for the side effect of the J&J and AZ SARS CoV2 vaccines, namely thrombosis with thrombocytopenia syndrome (TTS) or vaccine-induced thrombotic thrombocytopenia (VITT). This is, of course, the extremely rare immune-mediated condition (likely caused by development of self-antibodies to PF4) that leads to low platelets (blood clotting cells) and concurrent blood clots (cavernous sinus being among the most worrisome).

TTS is similar to another rare condition, heparin induced thrombocytopenia (HIT) that behaves the same way, and can be fiendishly difficult to treat, since you're trying to break up blood clots with blood thinners, but can't use the most widespread thinners available (heparin and similars) because they are part of the root cause of the problem. We treat HIT with a class of blood thinners called direct thrombin inhibitors (DTIs) like argatroban or lepirudin. Bivalirudin is a DTI in this class, and apparently was able to safely and successfully reverse the central venous sinus thrombus (clot) in a patient with TTS/VITT that resulted from a J&J vaccination.

This is kinda exciting if true and applicable in a widespread setting, as it allows for a readily available therapeutic agent to be used to address perhaps the most dangerous (if exceedingly uncommon) complication of the adenovirus-based SARS CoV2 vaccines.

Ok, some of you are gonna need to dumb it down.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Blood clots in brain from jab rare - but bad when they happen - sometimes they kill you.

Difficult to bust up this clot with the normal clot busters a doctor might reach for when dealing with brain clot.

Some lesser used clot busters appears to work though.

If people with vax brain clots go to hospital - and if hospital doctors recognize correctly what has happened - and if those doctors have access to these less used clot busters - patient may recover with a lot less damage.

Smarter people can correct me.

Unfortunately those doctors don't live in Alberta where a woman was turned away from the ER twice.

She died a day after she was finally admitted

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    Blood clots in brain from jab rare - but bad when they happen - sometimes they kill you.

Difficult to bust up this clot with the normal clot busters a doctor might reach for when dealing with brain clot.

Some lesser used clot busters appears to work though.

If people with vax brain clots go to hospital - and if hospital doctors recognize correctly what has happened - and if those doctors have access to these less used clot busters - patient may recover with a lot less damage.

Smarter people can correct me.
    Dumbing it down one step farther .... "we may have a better way to treat the rare, yet severe adverse events that occur in what is otherwise a very safe vaccine"