Page 965 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 960 961 962 963 964 965 966 967 968 969 970 ... LastLast
Results 24,101 to 24,125 of 41810
    Bill gates be tryna steal my thunder
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/healt...rnd/index.html

What a thread to read. The skoug needs some sort of prize. Is it a parody account ? Nebraski nipping at his heels though

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Rasputin is online now Полые тростник на ветру
    Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Seems like the obvious nickname would be Gomer. Of course Gomer Pyle was likeable.
    You're thinking of the wrong gomer.
    I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things. -אלוהים אדירים

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Bill gates be tryna steal my thunder
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/29/healt...rnd/index.html
    They got the story wrong. Most tests are a waste because they don't include a GPS tracker.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I watched that, but they didn't really explain what's the cause of the collapse in the antibiotic market. I assume it's because the venture capital money has dried up and is being spent on virus drug research. Antibiotic research is almost entirely privately funded--the NIH doesn't fund much of it. (102M over 7 years, which is a drop in the bucket.) The problem with antibiotics is that you take them for a week or two, up to 6 weeks for a really bad infection. The profit is in drugs you take for the rest of your life so that's where the money goes. Although right now Covid vaccines and drugs are a good bet for making a quick buck. I'm sure the drug companies and investors are hoping you have to take the Covid vaccine every year.

The free market is failing when it comes to antibiotics and when it comes to health care in general.
    Exactly. And I'm not even a dentist.

long term heart problems from teh covids...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dy/5536249002/

Herman Cain, who attended Trump's Tulsa rally, dies from Covid-19..........

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/form...ronavirus.html
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

eating a slice of pizza for breakfast in memory of herman cain

geez, you'd think they could have spared a few of the millions of doses of the hydroxyQ cure that they've stockpiled to save Herm?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    long term heart problems from teh covids...

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...dy/5536249002/
    Quote Originally Posted by MCS5280 View Post
    Pharma executives are currently licking their chops thinking about all the lifetime heart drug prescriptions they can sell to these people
    As I posted the first time this press release news story was published, a few months follow up is not "long term", and to say that drug companies are excited at the news based on that report is bullshit. Can we keep the sensationalist crap out of this?* the truth is sensationalist enough.

*Of course not.

Not fun to get excited when someone dies, but with 154,000 total deaths, I was wondering when one of these old ass, unhealthy, anti-mask wearing, anti-science politicians was going to bite the bullet from COVID. From Cain's wiki page:

Cain praised South Dakota Governor Kristi Noem for not requiring masks at an upcoming Trump campaign event, saying "Masks will not be mandatory for the event, which will be attended by President Trump. PEOPLE ARE FED UP!"

Nice summary of the aerosol vs. droplet debate, from someone on team aerosol.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/o...-aerosols.html
    More evidence for wearing a mask.

How to talk the skeptics and anti-science peeps

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and...virus-skeptics

Cross-posting this one...

In a study of children under five who show mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19, those kids were found to contain higher concentrations of the virus compared to older children, teens and adults, according to researchers at a Chicago pediatric hospital and Northwestern University.

https://fortune.com/2020/07/30/child...al-load-study/

And yet the woman who lives across the alley still holds a weekly old lady choir practice at her house. And they're not murmuring; they can project. She's also #resist, #notmypresident, #blm, #defund, #greta, electric car driving, woke as fuck. So I guess only some inconvenient truths matter.

It's astounding how 'fact selective' Americans are. That's why we're fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    And yet the woman who lives across the alley still holds a weekly old lady choir practice at her house. And they're not murmuring; they can project. She's also #resist, #notmypresident, #blm, #defund, #greta, electric car driving, woke as fuck. So I guess only some inconvenient truths matter.

It's astounding how 'fact selective' Americans are. That's why we're fucked.
    I'm sure we all manage to rationalize breaches of covid protocol when it suits us, eg Fauci at the baseball game. It's not being stupid, it's being human. Like confirmation bias, avalanche heuristic traps, and all the other ways our conscious rationalize minds let us down. Amazing the species has survived although we haven't even turned a million years old yet, so babies in evolutionary terms, too soon to declare victory.

Oh I get it. I'm just getting a little tired of it in light of the enormity of the current situation.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...ea-jeans/n9937

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Herman Cain, who attended Trump's Tulsa rally, dies from Covid-19..........

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/07/30/form...ronavirus.html
    I'm sure he got it from a contaminated mask like Gohmert.

At least he died doing what he loved: being a dumbass.

Gohmert doubles down & goes full moran...starts hydroxychloroquiine/zinc etc

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...d-19-treatment

WTF, that stuff was discounted weeks or even months ago but its back like herpes
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Very interesting to see that larger droplets don't contain more virus than small ones, I would have expected otherwise. Going a step further, I'd be curious if larger ones provide any better protection against UV than smaller ones; I would guess not much.

I was hoping to see one other aspect of this: smaller particles seem more likely to find their way deeper into your lungs.

I don't have proof of that (which is why I was hoping to see it discussed) but we know that larger particles tend to stay a little straighter and are more prone to bumping into things rather than being pushed around (and in effect, guided) by the boundary layers that build up close any object in an air stream. It would seem logical that making it all the way down a narrow, winding path without touching something and being stopped would be easier for a very small particle. (From mask data, between about 1-3 microns seems ideal, though that range may be a little high when it's bumping into wet tissue rather than statically charged filter media.)

And I'm just an engineer so this is just a guess, but it seems like starting an infection deep in the lungs would be basically a worst case scenario both for symptoms and increasing viral load before any immune response. Does that make sense, or am I reaching here?

To get wonkier still, she also presents another argument for standardizing the language away from an arbitrary 5 micron cutoff for droplets. It seems pedantic, I imagine, but English speakers assume that aerosols float on the air and if you were going to name a max size for that it wouldn't be 5 microns. I've found that cutoff at least as far back as about 1970 (a dentist's study just named smaller aerosols and larger droplets/splatter) and there's no question we didn't know then what we know now about small particle mechanics.

The fact that long distance transmission isn't frequently found (although what is "community spread"?) is very probably explained by concentration falling with distance cubed, so it argues more that dose matters than that aerosols don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Gohmert doubles down & goes full moran...starts hydroxychloroquiine/zinc etc

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/5...d-19-treatment

I saw a post on Facebook yesterday from someone essentially warning people not to believe the viral video promoting HCQ. One of the replies was someone saying more or less "but it does help with symptoms. I have a friend who took it after testing positive and she never had to go to the hospital!" It didn't seem worth the time to explain why her argument is ridiculously flawed.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Very interesting to see that larger droplets don't contain more virus than small ones, I would have expected otherwise. Going a step further, I'd be curious if larger ones provide any better protection against UV than smaller ones; I would guess not much.

I was hoping to see one other aspect of this: smaller particles seem more likely to find their way deeper into your lungs.

I don't have proof of that (which is why I was hoping to see it discussed) but we know that larger particles tend to stay a little straighter and are more prone to bumping into things rather than being pushed around (and in effect, guided) by the boundary layers that build up close any object in an air stream. It would seem logical that making it all the way down a narrow, winding path without touching something and being stopped would be easier for a very small particle. (From mask data, between about 1-3 microns seems ideal, though that range may be a little high when it's bumping into wet tissue rather than statically charged filter media.)

And I'm just an engineer so this is just a guess, but it seems like starting an infection deep in the lungs would be basically a worst case scenario both for symptoms and increasing viral load before any immune response. Does that make sense, or am I reaching here?

To get wonkier still, she also presents another argument for standardizing the language away from an arbitrary 5 micron cutoff for droplets. It seems pedantic, I imagine, but English speakers assume that aerosols float on the air and if you were going to name a max size for that it wouldn't be 5 microns. I've found that cutoff at least as far back as about 1970 (a dentist's study just named smaller aerosols and larger droplets/splatter) and there's no question we didn't know then what we know now about small particle mechanics.

The fact that long distance transmission isn't frequently found (although what is "community spread"?) is very probably explained by concentration falling with distance cubed, so it argues more that dose matters than that aerosols don't.
    I'm going to guess and say that you can get infected in the nose or upper airway and the virus will find its way down to your lungs sooner or later. But maybe the short delay gives your body more time to mount an immune response before things get bad. Total speculation.

Too soon?

Condolences to his family.