Page 1004 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 999 1000 1001 1002 1003 1004 1005 1006 1007 1008 1009 ... LastLast
Results 25,076 to 25,100 of 41810
    Sorry, buffs and bandanas suck.

Wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than no mask at all, researchers find
    By Allyson Chiu

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...9a6_story.html

"In a recently published study, the researchers unveiled a simple method to evaluate the effectiveness of various types of masks, analyzing more than a dozen different facial coverings ranging from hospital-grade N95 respirators to bandanas. Of the 14 masks and other coverings tested, the study found that some easily accessible cotton cloth masks are about as effective as standard surgical masks, while popular alternatives such as neck gaiters may be worse than not wearing a mask at all.

“You can really see the mask is doing something,” said one of the study’s co-authors, Warren S. Warren, a professor of physics, chemistry, radiology and biomedical engineering at Duke. “There’s a lot of controversy and people say, ‘Well, masks don’t do anything.’ Well, the answer is some don’t, but most do.”"

The study: https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont...v.abd3083.full

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Are you saying we should take back our well-wishes, hashfan?
    No, but people are assuming he has Covid 19, when he may or may not. Well-wishes are always in order.

On the subject of long term effects, two studies out of Germany suggesting that COVID infection is leading to serious heart damage in the majority of cases irrespective of symptoms, age, or preexisting conditions.
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/87758 and https://www.statnews.com/2020/07/27/...-heart-damage/
    "[I]f this high rate of risk is confirmed, the pathologic basis for progressive left ventricular dysfunction is validated, and especially if longitudinal assessment reveals new-onset heart failure in the recovery phase of COVID-19, then the crisis of COVID-19 will not abate but will instead shift to a new de novo incidence of heart failure and other chronic cardiovascular complications,"

Really scary stuff

5-10 years down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of people on the transplant list for a heart or lungs from COVID.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by Toadman View Post
    5-10 years down the road, I wouldn't be surprised if there's a lot of people on the transplant list for a heart or lungs from COVID.
    Seriously, some smart people are already trying to monetize this, in an already bleak situation with tens of millions of Boomers in their end game and tens of millions of younger Americans un or under insured.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Seriously, some smart people are already trying to monetize this, .
    How?

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Thats fucking bullshit to wait 8 days for a test......Im public safety I got my results in 24 hours. An 8 day wait kinda defeats the purpose. Hang in there mang.
    eight days does defeat the purpose in some ways

this is the great crime folly of the trump administration. the complete lack of interest in testing and tracing

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    How?
    Awful choice of word. They're trying to figure out how much this will all cost.

Sorry, buffs and bandanas suck.

Wearing a neck gaiter may be worse than no mask at all, researchers find
    By Allyson Chiu
    The study: https://advances.sciencemag.org/cont...v.abd3083.full
    Already posted this a few pages ago, but that paper is a write up of a technique, not a real study of masks and materials (think of it as a sample of a study, maybe). The technique did not produce repeatable results within their own data for bandanas or fleece, and most likely the reason has to do with measurement technique. Thin materials that get moistened by your breath are going to expel more particles and their range of measurements (as indicated by the error bars) shows they did not get consistent results from those. Doesn't mean they're wrong, but that data is unreliable.

^thanks for posting that breakdown.

NZ is back on lockdown for contact tracing from a community spread event. Note they currently expect 3 days of lockdown to trace and test. It’s as-if they’ve been preparing or something...

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/world...cli/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    eight days does defeat the purpose in some ways

this is the great crime folly of the trump administration. the complete lack of interest in testing and tracing
    You would think that someone that wants the most testing in the universe would be all in on quick tests....

As is if their music wasn't bad enough....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/enter...rnd/index.html
    Last edited by funkendrenchman; 08-11-2020 at 11:22 AM.

Thanks all! Got x-ray this mornand and just got results. Not pnumonia so who the fuck knows what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by Trashcan View Post
    Thanks all! Got x-ray this mornand and just got results. Not pnumonia so who the fuck knows what I have.
    Dang. At this point, the best hope is for recovery. It sounds like your doctors are well engaged with you. My suggestion is that you stay in close communication with them. Hopefully, they are calling you frequently until you turn the corner and are consistently showing improvement/recovery.

bout all I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    As is if their music wasn't bad enough....

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/11/enter...rnd/index.html
    Not the sharpest tools in the thread indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Not the sharpest tools in the thread indeed.
    Well.... maybe most of them are Trump supporters and getting Covid will help them understand it's real, that Trump has screwed the pooch and prove to others they need to stop mass gatherings until this thing is under control (and perhaps vote him out of office). Pie in the sky I know......
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

bout all I can do.
    Q TC: How is your Dad? He's not caught this? If not probably does point to something else, no?

(though I imagine at this point knowing it was Covid would at least give you some closure)
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

No test is perfect. All have flaws of one sort or another, all have false positives and negatives. Always remember, treat the patient, not the paperwork.

While I am a huge believer in lab tests, used them throughout my entire career, we were taught to use them to confirm a diagnosis, not to make one. Seems like the kids coming out of medical schools these days rely to heavily on labs and not on their, eyes, ears and hands.

...and yeah, I am that old that they are kids because they are getting to be younger then my own kids year by year.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Awful choice of word. They're trying to figure out how much this will all cost.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Dang. At this point, the best hope is for recovery. It sounds like your doctors are well engaged with you. My suggestion is that you stay in close communication with them. Hopefully, they are calling you frequently until you turn the corner and are consistently showing improvement/recovery.
    Xray nl, labs nl, very good news even if it doesn't help you feel better. Hope that part isn't far behind.

Yeah ride it out at this point.
    KQ , dad is feeling fine other than occasional cough but that is probably allergies. We seperated for 14 days so hopefully he is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    No, but people are assuming he has Covid 19, when he may or may not. Well-wishes are always in order.
    I was kidding, kidding.

Flashman?

Yeah ride it out at this point.
    KQ , dad is feeling fine other than occasional cough but that is probably allergies. We seperated for 14 days so hopefully he is fine.
    I had pretty bad viral bronchitis about 14 years ago, along with a handful of coworkers. It sucked. Knocked me on my ass for over a month. It sucked. Daily communication proactively from the primary care giver (an NP) to check status. My wife and infant never caught it. Slept every night in the same room with them and help with my baby and household stuff as best as I could.

I am pretty sure I had pertussis in 2011. But never got tested. 3.5 month cough.