Page 774 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 769 770 771 772 773 774 775 776 777 778 779 ... LastLast
Results 19,326 to 19,350 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    So exactly when did trying to be good to each other and trying not to spread a communicable disease become a political act?
    I'm going with 4/4/20.

On that day, during a white house press conference, trump stated he wouldn't wear a mask.

I don't blame trump it would smear his spray tan
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by carpathian View Post
    ^^ doesn’t Smithers have more churches per capita then any other town in BC? Something like 13 churches for 5000 ppl
    "Any town with more churches than bars has a serious social problem" E. Abbey

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    "Any town with more churches than bars has a serious social problem" E. Abbey
    Gotta have em both, human nature is to switch depending on the wind direction. In the simpsons movie christians and boozers switch places when they see apocalypse coming.

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Just got off Zoom with a friend in the ICU at Anschutz in Aurora/Denver. While cases are down since April, she detailed a family that all got exposed to CV during a Mother’s Day party. The woman is now on a vent and struggling to stay alive and the kid likely gave it to her. Brutal. Two weeks from now, there are going to be some depressing stories out there from Memorial Day parties.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Washington state has politicians currently in office who are calling the deaths fake and the whole thing a hoax while encouraging citizens to defy the SAH order and organizing rallies.
    "How's my husband, doctor?" "He's fine. He only looks dead. He's just a crisis actor. You can take him home now. Need help getting him in the car?"
    "
    Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    With exponential growth, and unknown variation in the exponential factor as behaviors change, the cocktail napkin math (and detailed models) tend toward WAG as the timeframes become long.

Would not be hard to cross 500,000 by the end of 2020. There's 220 days to NYE. We'd need to average about 1800 dead per day.

If we managed to convince most of us to drop social distancing, I bet we could be there by end of July. Here's the napkin model - June 10 2k/day, June 15 4k/day, June 20 8k/day, June 25 16k/day, June 30 32k/day, July 5 64k/day. I allotted a few weeks to get the death rate back up to 2k/day, and to convince most everyone corona is a nothingburger and bars/parties/churches are awesome. Actually, there's a weeks long delay between infections and dying, so frontload another 2 weeks. I also assumed cases can double in 5 days, which I don't think is controversial. Back in March we were seeing doubling in 2 days or less. In practice, people would freak out as cases and deaths begin to rise, so we'd be unable to sustain the growth needed to kill 500k by the end of July.

What will actually happen? Hard to say. Putting on the happy mask... Daily deaths has been trending down for over a month. A few yahoos you see in the news might cause a bump a few weeks from now. Even so, a bumpy gradual decline in daily deaths seems a possible future. We're learning which countermeasures are most effective and how to balance countermeasures with work and play. If a bumpy decline works out, 500k by end of 2021 is a reasonable guess. Could be half that, with luck.

Looking at recent history, I'm gonna guess 0.89% of Americans would have died in 2020 without corona. I get 2.9 million. An extra 500k means some overtime for St. Peter, but it's manageable
    We'll know in a couple of weeks. Interesting little experiment we're running. Will hot spots come from crowded beaches, or churches, or restaurants, or private parties, barber shops and hair salons? Does inside or outside matter, number of people, length of contact, etc. If there's adequate contact tracing (debatable) and testing (maybe) perhaps we can answer these questions and refine the list of open and closed activities and places.

Here's a dilemma--hope for the virus to die down, the economy rebounds, everyone goes back to work, but Trump gets reelected, or the opposite? Choose between health and welfare on the one hand and the end of democracy and the rule of law on the other. Fortunately it's not a choice we have to make; circumstances will make it for us. And of course the third alternative--pandemic over, Trump still loses--is a no brainer.

Here's a piece by a veteran about people wearing fake military gear at protests.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...-rings-hollow/

At the grocey store yesterday there was some sort of issue with the customer in front of me.

The cashier had to call over a manager.

Cashier is wearing his mask pulled down below his nose.

Manager comes over, stands 2ft from cashier and takes her mask off so she can talk to him. They interact like this for about 5 mins then she puts her mask on and walks away. Cashier is still wearing his mask below his nose.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Self checkout 4 me.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    Two weeks from now, there are going to be some depressing stories out there from Memorial Day parties.
    You're right, but there are also going to be many people who are unscathed and will be even more convinced in their denial.

Name:  02B4F568-44EF-470C-9C19-F52B56DC4B9E.jpeg
Views: 937
Size:  57.2 KB

At the grocey store yesterday there was some sort of issue with the customer in front of me.

The cashier had to call over a manager.

Cashier is wearing his mask pulled down below his nose.

Manager comes over, stands 2ft from cashier and takes her mask off so she can talk to him. They interact like this for about 5 mins then she puts her mask on and walks away. Cashier is still wearing his mask below his nose.
    I prefer to view that as a step in the right direction. Doing the Covid-avoidance dance has a lot of new steps and fancy moves. We're all learning them.

When I touch my face, I don't beat myself up, instead think how much less I touch my face. Some maskless Karen wants to be in my space talking about the playground closure (obv irl troll), I prefer she doesn't, I can talk politely, recognizing she hasn't accepted the new reality yet. Just watched a St. Helens video, day before big boomboom, people have "no fear" (watch 30 seconds)
    Human nature sounds familiar. Everything at Spirit Lake was gone 24 hours later, 500 feet deep.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Self checkout 4 me.
    Ya, except these days trying to shop less often and buy a bit extra to build up the surplus stock slowly, my cart is carefully packed and stacked. The baggers usually need two carts they can never figure out how I got it all in one. No way that I am running all that through self checkout myself. And believe me, I understand the temptation.

Here, you are supposed to bring your own bags or pay for paper ones. Bring your own bags, bag your own stuff. Buying paper ones and the bagger will take care of it. Store rules. Ok for me, but what about the lil ol lady? Hopefully exceptions being made.

Most of the employees at my Safeway are not wearing masks. Except for the produce guy who wears his below his nose. They do wear gloves though--same gloves all day.

We're not allowed to bring our own bags, even if they never leave the cart and we bag ourselves. And the carts are sanitized after every use. Makes no sense. We have a choice between extremely weak plastic or heavy reusable plastic (which we can't reuse), free. We are allowed to help bag our own; last month we weren't allowed. Clearly there are no virologists or epidemiologists working for Safeway.

Self checkout 4 me.
    Curbside. (if available)

@m2711c

Somehow the cat looking on in disgust makes it way funnier

Self checkout 4 me.
    Funny you should say this! I have been thinking lately about our prior discussion re: self-checkout and how it was the unfair to cashiers, costing jobs etc. but now.....

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    Here, you are supposed to bring your own bags or pay for paper ones. Bring your own bags, bag your own stuff. Buying paper ones and the bagger will take care of it. Store rules. Ok for me, but what about the lil ol lady? Hopefully exceptions being made.
    we are not allowed to use our own bags anymore. Not sure if they are charging for plastic/paper.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Scott Gottlieb, former head of the FDA has been working with the American Enterprise Institute to pull together county-level testing data in order to develop what they call a "Local Risk Index" or LRI. It appears to be primarily driven off of the total number of tests conducted per week and the positivity rate reported.

https://www.aei.org/covid-2019-action-tracker/

Had the Monday Zoom with my sibs, Ft Collins and Saratoga are mask mandatory with high compliance. Masked customers in Stewart's gave some shit to a maskless 35 y o lady walked in on her way to Lake George. OTOH the non mask crowd in the PNW is a militant bunch. Wa's gov just said "please"
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

CO restaurants opening Wednesday at 50% capacity and social distancing.

Funny you should say this! I have been thinking lately about our prior discussion re: self-checkout and how it was the unfair to cashiers, costing jobs etc. but now.....

we are not allowed to use our own bags anymore. Not sure if they are charging for plastic/paper.
    Banned plastic bags a few years ago. Glad they are sticking to it, at least until some study comes out to ruin it all.

Well this is interesting- and sorry if some one posted this earlier. But new shit's come to light (a few recently reported studies) suggesting that both fatties and folks with cardiovascular derangement have more type-2 angiotensin-converting enzyme than normal people. This may explain why that population is more vulnerable to the CCPs Bat-Shit Virus. Of course, I wouldn't be surprised if a compromised immune system facilitates the onset of COVID-19 in this group.

I have yet to read the actual papers. Could be interesting, could be bogus. Fuck it- I don't start rumors, I only spread 'em.
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

Vitamin D people. It’s the missing link.

people in Brazil and Italy likely have tons of vitamin D. Can’t be that simple. But yeah I’m taking 1000units daily (which I only used to sporadically prior to covid). Also taking vitamin C (normal dose) daily cause why not - my kidneys can deal with any excess.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    people in Brazil and Italy likely have tons of vitamin D. Can’t be that simple. But yeah I’m taking 1000units daily (which I only used to sporadically prior to covid). Also taking vitamin C (normal dose) daily cause why not - my kidneys can deal with any excess.
    Me too and yeah, nothing is a silver bullet.

Actually, darker skinned people have deficiencies. And maybe it’s so hot in places like Brazil that they’re inside more than you’d think?