Page 705 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 700 701 702 703 704 705 706 707 708 709 710 ... LastLast
Results 17,601 to 17,625 of 41810
    On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    Not crazy asshole, just fucking retarded.

It's washing your goddamned hands not bathing 25 times a day. FFS!
    No shit. I'm talking about the very real % of the population that are way too afraid of this thing and haven't left their houses in 60 days, etc. No way of really knowing those numbers, but I bet there's more of them than we all realize.

There's no place to go, so why go out?

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    No shit. I'm talking about the very real % of the population that are way too afraid of this thing and haven't left their houses in 60 days, etc. No way of really knowing those numbers, but I bet there's more of them than we all realize.
    I'm not "way too afraid" of this thing... but I'm extremely selective these days in what I do outside the house. I figure it's the least I can do not to be an unwitting carrier/spreader (however unlikely that might be) in my community. And I'm fortunate, because I don't *have* to leave the house for work, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I'm not sure either side has anything to brag about.
    “When men choose not to believe in God, they do not thereafter believe in nothing, they then become capable of believing in anything.” GK Chesterton.
    That quote is poetic and total nonsense.

False equivalency. Unfortunately, we are never taught in school how to evaluate the validity of information and the reliability of sources. We are presented scientific knowledge of dogma, just like religion. Anyone here that doesn't know the earth is 93 million miles from the sun, more or less? Anyone here who knows how that was figured out and when? (I did once but I forgot in 5 minutes, and that was from watching TV 10 years ago, not in school.) When we are never taught these things, when they are handed down as gospel--because I told you so--then all information seems the same to us. One of the most valuable things I did in school was breed fruit flies. When you see Mendel's rules working at your own lab station, science starts to mean more than a bunch of facts you take on faith.

There may be no such thing as fixed, objective truth, but there are ideas that are vastly closer to it and ideas that are vastly farther away.
    You can legitimately argue about whether we should continue to stay home or open up; we cannot legitimately argue about whether or not the guvment is making up Covid 19 deaths to enslave us and whether or not all those people in masks and gowns on TV are crisis actors.
    The determination for many basic scientific facts are often easily understood in their method of determination with minimal effort by a moderately intelligent and educated individual. Often these facts are readily and cheaply verifiable if that person were to desire to put for the effort. Measuring the distance to the Sun falls under both of those.

Cassini's method can be surmised from a history book or wiki and requires only time, basic trigonometry, and a $250 telescope with the right eye piece. I bet most the country could verify the fact if sufficiently individually motivated.

But if there were a concerted effort by a powerful portion of society to blitz social media with a claim that the sun is not 93 million miles, and if by accepting that claim, there was a promised reward, whether the promise was economic or emotional/ideological in nature, it seems a very large part of the country would then believe counterfactual information and develop rationalizations as to why anyone verifying the fact was wrong while refusing to make their own verification. They would readily accept flawed claims of verification of the counterfactual claims.

Verifying facts and policy implications relating to human health, much less when pandemics are involved, requires a much higher intelligence, education, expertise, and time investment than verifying the distance to the sun. It is extra hard when facts are still being discovered. And yet the primary methodology of attack on facts is to claim falsified data and cabals of conspirators hellbent on destroying freedoms and the economy while enriching/empowering themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

peeps need to determine whether preferred "news" sources are actually fact-based news or just entertainment with some reference to current events

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Fify

If you can’t see the corruption in both parties you might be an imbecile
    Obama’s tenure as president was corruption free

You truly are a fucktard

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I've always liked New York. Everybody honks out their aggression and present as assholes but then they aren't really and many are sensible and wordly. Opposite is somewhere like central Florida. People seem nice but they are mostly insular kooks with foil hats.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk
    This is absolutely true

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post

Oh, yeah, right, that explains not one banker or mortgage seller in jail, and then the reward of a 12 million dollar summer home on Martha's Vineyard last year, and vast wealth until both die. You know, a community organizer and academic who campaigned for change certainly deserves to live better than most retired CEOs, I guess.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

What the fuck? This is down the rabbit hole shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Summit View Post
    The determination for many basic.scientific facts are often easily understood in their method of determination with minimal effort by a moderately intelligent and educated individual. Often these facts are readily and cheaply verifiable if that person were to desire to put for the effort. Measuring the distance to the Sun falls under both of those.

Cassini's method can be surmised from a history book or wiki and requires only time, basic trigonometry, and a $250 telescope with the right eye piece. I bet most the country could verify the fact if sufficiently individually motivated.

But if there were a concerted effort by a powerful portion of society to blitz social media with a claim that the sun is not 93 million miles, and if by accepting that claim, there was a promised reward, whether the promise was economic or emotional/ideological in nature, it seems a very large part of the country would then believe counterfactual information and develop rationalizations as to why anyone verifying the fact was wrong while refusing to make their own verification. They would readily accept flawed claims of verification of the counterfactual claims.
    That is a super interesting hypothesis. And probably quite easily tested--it only needs the reward. Seems like a good use of time for some bored quarantiner.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Dude, you are in one of the States that has been very lightly affected by this Pandemic(tm).

Its really easy to think, "whats the big deal?"
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

You truly are a fucktard

Haha ha
    Ha ha ha ha ha
    Ha ha ha.

Lol

Goldman Sachs had no influence on your messiah.

Lol

Turd puncher you are.

They are all so corrupt. That’s how they got there. From the Cheeto to the obummer to the shrub. And on and on. It’s theatre. Wake up and enjoy the show
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    peeps need to determine whether preferred "news" sources are actually fact-based news or just entertainment with some reference to current events
    That’s the angriest thing you’ve said in this whole thread.
    (That’s a compliment)

That said I’d like a list of good, bad, and ugly news sites.
    Curious about leanings of
    South China Morning Post
    Aljazeera
    Guardian
    Among others

[QUOTE=Benny Profane;5981474]Oh
    Last edited by Bunion 2020; 05-11-2020 at 06:03 PM. Reason: why bother, keep it in polyass.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/trave...ing-right-now/

What the fuck? This is down the rabbit hole shit.

Fuuuuuuck that

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    Benny, this is where you devolve into a flaming fucking retard.
    DNC cuck.

Our nasal cavities are colonized with multiple bacteria at all times. Some of the bacterial species commonly found--Strep, staph aureus, H flu (that's a bacteria not the flu bug) are the most common cause of pneumonia, and yet most people don't get infected even though they carry them. While viruses are present as well they don't seem to hinder the presence of these bacteria. Nonetheless, snorting disinfectants is also a bad idea.

As far as disinfecting surfaces--the common disinfectants used--Na hypochlorite (bleach) and Lysol (mostly ethanol--have been in widespread use for many many decades without resistance becoming an issue. I cannot see how disinfecting man made surfaces with these products is "throwing a lot out of whack". Don't extrapolate from the harmful effects of feeding antibiotics to cows for example. And there is no need to use disinfectants on our hands or bodies when soap and water are available.

thanx for that ^^ OG but for the Americans reading this so you probably wana point out that the Na Hypochlorite is for wiping down surfaces and should not be ingested eh
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quoted for posterity. You may have forgotten:

fast and furious

Snowden

VA health care

Russia hacking the 2016 election

Continuing the patriot act

I don't include bengazi because that whole thing is nonsense

Apples to oranges but yeah corruption free my ass

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    thanx for that ^^ OG but for the Americans reading this so you probably wana point out that the Na Hypochlorite is for wiping down surfaces and should not be ingested eh
    We're looking into that, right?

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Anybody mention the updated IHME projections yet? Still only through Aug1.

Quote Originally Posted by simple View Post
    Quoted for posterity. You may have forgotten:

fast and furious

Snowden

VA health care

Russia hacking the 2016 election

Continuing the patriot act

I don't include bengazi because that whole thing is nonsense

Apples to oranges but yeah corruption free my ass
    Sorry, none of that is corruption...bad policy, questionable choices, undue influence, but not corruption.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

In your opinion. Corruption isn't top to bottom. It exists in small islands.

I wouldn't call the police force or the military corruption free either. Bad actors

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    That’s the angriest thing you’ve said in this whole thread.
    (That’s a compliment)

That said I’d like a list of good, bad, and ugly news sites.
    Curious about leanings of
    South China Morning Post
    Aljazeera
    Guardian
    Among others
    me too, i wish there was a simple list
    there are media review sites, of course, but they aren't infallible
    you have to double check sources on your own these days to see how stories are presented

educate your kids to read critically & not just react to emotional presentations, tho admittedly we all fall prey to them...no one's immune
    keep learning every day

False equivalency. Unfortunately, we are never taught in school how to evaluate the validity of information and the reliability of sources. We are presented scientific knowledge of dogma, just like religion. Anyone here that doesn't know the earth is 93 million miles from the sun, more or less? Anyone here who knows how that was figured out and when? (I did once but I forgot in 5 minutes, and that was from watching TV 10 years ago, not in school.) When we are never taught these things, when they are handed down as gospel--because I told you so--then all information seems the same to us. One of the most valuable things I did in school was breed fruit flies. When you see Mendel's rules working at your own lab station, science starts to mean more than a bunch of facts you take on faith.

There may be no such thing as fixed, objective truth, but there are ideas that are vastly closer to it and ideas that are vastly farther away.
    You can legitimately argue about whether we should continue to stay home or open up; we cannot legitimately argue about whether or not the guvment is making up Covid 19 deaths to enslave us and whether or not all those people in masks and gowns on TV are crisis actors.
    I disagree about "we are never taught in school how to evaluate the validity of information and the reliability of sources". I don't know about Michigan, but here in CA we were taught that often, and it appears to still be taught at least as of 8-10 years ago when my daughters graduated high school. I certainly got taught it more in my biology undergrad, and it was pounded into us in vet school, but even without secondary and post secondary school it was taught. It was even taught indirectly in critical thinking execises in such classes as English. I do not ever recall being taught "dogmatic" science. We pretty much always went into the history of the science behind most important discoveries. Maybe it was because I have always been a science nerd and paid attention. Of course I have forgotten more then I learned, but the important thing I learned is the method. I doubt its true, but when someone asked Einstein his phone number he pulled out a phonebook and looked it up, replying "A smart person knows how to access information and doesn't need to memorize it." I couldn't tell you off the top of my head how to calculate the distance to the sun, but could do it given a book or two and some hardware.

All that said, I will agree that the majority of the population doesn't habe the critical thing skills they should. Maybe it is a teaching problem, but I suspect it is more likely an effort problem, or more accurately, a lack there of.

iscariot