Page 1618 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 1618 1619 1620 1621 1622 1623 ... LastLast
Results 40,426 to 40,450 of 41810

Name:  20220725_220207.jpeg
Views: 301
Size:  38.7 KB
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

So does RA stay home the entire time they are positive, go out masked, or go out and about unmasked?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Jesus christ, thats got to be one of the dumbest hot takes I've read RA.

As everyone laughs at RA coming out as a doorknob licker, don’t forget what I already pointed out…the intentional doorknob lickers out there are propagating and widening the pandemic & thereby enabling more mutations.

If it was just RA’s decisions making his own life more miserable, I’d give zero fucks.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

People who have chosen to get on with their lives despite covid are not outliers. The ten people who populate this thread with obsessive covid talk are the real outliers.

Are you presenting a false dichotomy? My circle of friends are all ‘getting on with their lives’ just fine. We wear seatbelts despite the extra inconvenience, we go to the billion restaurants with outdoor seating, we mask up at a grocery store, etc. It’s not a lockdown vs lick doorknobs choice here.
    Know of a pair of Fischer Ranger 107Ti 189s (new or used) for sale? PM me.

my wife has an old friend from HS (they keep in touch on FB). the guy's had covid 4 or 5 times and took off a total of 5 months sick leave since his first infection in 2020. Seems like he's got pretty bad cognitive impairments now. His latest example, he recently complained that he was unable to recall the word "red" in a casual conversation even though he could picture the color in his mind.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    My boomer parents travelled for 6 weeks in Europe and seemed to have caught it last week during transit back to their home. Symptoms started for my pops 4 days after arriving home. Hoping paxvolid to work well.
    My folks went Zurich -> Los Angeles. They flew wearing respirator masks. Apparently, they had to remove their masks 3 separate times for facial recognition stuff for relatively long extended time periods. That's their hot take to their exposure when traveling.

my wife has an old friend from HS (they keep in touch on FB). the guy's had covid 4 or 5 times and took off a total of 5 months sick leave since his first infection in 2020. Seems like he's got pretty bad cognitive impairments now. His latest example, he recently complained that he was unable to recall the word "red" in a casual conversation even though he could picture the color in his mind.

Hmm. Maybe he’s just stupid?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

The thing is, RA isn't entirely wrong about exposure and our immune response. Maybe a bit irresponsible about everyday behavior but not wrong.
    Exposure will instigate an immune response. Vaccination will instigate an immune response. Every time those happen, the immune response (antibodies, T-Cells) our body creates are not one strain. They are thousands of strains across an entire distribution. If we have had a prior exposure, either through vaccination or community exposure, the distribution of antibodies/T-Cells will effectively be centered on the antibodies/T-Cells that "worked" from our prior exposures, which themselves were more than one type. Think of immune response as a series of overlapping bell curves with each of those centered on the antibodies/T-Cells that proved effective from the prior exposures. That is why a booster based on the original wild-type SARS COV2 spike is still useful even after we've been vaccinated with that same thing before. The booster causes new distributions of antibody strains to be created based on the strains created with the previous vaccination. The antibodies effective against BA.5 or whatever variant du jour might be way out at the tails of the distribution and minimally effective but they are there and are better as a starting point for your immune system than nothing if you do get exposed to BA.5. Then those will be there and be the centers of new distributions that are effective against BA.5 when we get that. Immunity is not a zero sum game. It is always a stochastic process with information retained over time. The curve will always converge to the solution.
    The caveat of that though is that process of converging the curve might just kill you or at least make your live pretty unpleasant. So you can either control that process as much as possible (vax, mask, minimize exposures), or roll the dice and maybe pay the consequences. We are all going through the same process. Some just want to play a game with worse odds than others for what for them is a potentially higher payoff.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Maybe I missed a critical sentence from RA, but I find his position reasonable. Until society or science changes something, Covid is going to circulate. So we each weigh risk vs reward of various activities. Some of us huck cliffs in the forest. Some enjoy the groomers.

Covid's different in that the risk-takers are increasing risk for everyone. However, until we come up with a serious plan to get rid of Covid, I won't sanction those who catch it. It remains my opinion that the world should have gone for zero-covid. And we should seriously consider even now trying to stuff the cat back in the bag. Short of that, I also favor mask use and other measures to reduce community levels - though I don't see society agreeing to that yet. We'd need to stop indoor dining, including friends at home. So we're stuck where we are with a new major killer. Heart disease, cancer, covid (new! try it!), and the other stuff. I think this is a mistake, but I have to live with all the other fuckers who are happy with it.

I thought there was evidence of covid acting as a super-antigen (or triggering a super-antigen-like response) for some people with an unknown reason. Triggering dysfunction in their immune system resulting is reduced or no naive T cells following infection.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Maybe I missed a critical sentence from RA, but I find his position reasonable.
    Here you go.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona13 View Post
    This is why I'm like let me keep getting it, the more I'm exposed the better.
    This position is both false for the individual (unless and until you can look back and see that it worked out for you, special thanks to survivorship bias) and self-defeating for society. Because you can't separate cases from exposures. Nor mutations, hospitalizations, long-COVID cases or deaths. Unless there's a mechanism for getting more exposure with less risk of those things the statement is false.

Of course, there is one way to separate them: science advances with time, so if there are less exposures per unit time we can do better overall.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Maybe I missed a critical sentence from RA, but I find his position reasonable. Until society or science changes something, Covid is going to circulate. So we each weigh risk vs reward of various activities. Some of us huck cliffs in the forest. Some enjoy the groomers.
    This analogy works better if you're hucking cliffs ON TO crowded groomers. Your higher risk taking puts the welfare of everyone else at greater risk.. be it you creating new mutations or inadvertently infecting some immune compromised person who had to remove their mask for a moment around you,,

No shit man. I want to be exposed to the new, mutated versions. I completely disagree and feel it's best to just get this stuff as soon as possible and keep developing my immunity.
    Don't stop at Covid. There are a lot of other diseases you could expose yourself to to develop your immunity--Hep C, HIV, Ebola--and dozens of others. Go big or go home.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Don't stop at Covid. There are a lot of other diseases you could expose yourself to to develop your immunity--Hep C, HIV, Ebola--and dozens of others. Go big or go home.
    Monkey Pox FTW!!!

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Why stop at disease? Russian roulette provides whole seconds of pure adrenaline.

I've had the vid twice now. The first time I thought I was going to die. I was destroyed for 8 days straight then had long term affects for another three months. Second time? It was like a mellow cold or heavy allergies. I only felt a little crappy for 4 days but tested positive for a total of 13 days. This is why I'm like let me keep getting it, the more I'm exposed the better.
    I think you need to think about it like the stock market: past performance does not guarantee future results. You've had it twice and the first time was much worse. That doesn't mean #3 is going to follow that trend.

Quote Originally Posted by AK47bp View Post
    Hmm. Maybe he’s just stupid?

His take is that it’s making him much dumber in fits and starts. Apparently, he was fairly articulate. Possibly took the RA approach to the disease.

His take is that it’s making him much dumber in fits and starts. Apparently, he was fairly articulate. Possibly took the RA approach to the disease.
    But him catching Covid 4-5 times?

Gotta be a run of the mill doorknob licker Moran.

He works at a club, but I don’t understand the 4-5 times. Definitely questions his decision making.

[QUOTE=SumJongGuy;6659165]This analogy works better if you're hucking cliffs ON TO crowded groomers. [QUOTE]

What about hucking groomers. We came out of the woods on to an open groomer, only to have some junior racer practicing prejumps without a spotter fly over the top of her head. And not over by much. I had a few words with the coach.

I haven't seen anything that says whether people are getting reinfected with the same variant. Granted my reading is limited to the mainstream press and articles people post on this forum. We do not know if covid will keep evolving to new immune evading variants and if so will it still be a significant pathogen? It may be that we are all destined to get sick from covid over and over but nothing I have seen suggests that this is inevitable. In the meantime I will take reasonable steps to stay healthy without significantly constraining my life. At the moment I'm mainly avoiding air travel, but that isn't mainly due to covid.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    People who have chosen to get on with their lives despite covid are not outliers. The ten people who populate this thread with obsessive covid talk are the real outliers.
    [Close Thread]

Tell that to any health care worker.

Getting a some kind of infection COVID 2-4 times a year and carrying on is the new normal amirite??