Page 1612 of 1623 FirstFirst ... 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 1612 1613 1614 1615 1616 1617 ... LastLast
Results 40,276 to 40,300 of 40562
    Quote Originally Posted by Gcooker View Post
    For what its worth... I've had nasty bouts of dry cough that was fairly debilitating caused by allergies to flowers, like the really strong smelling Lilly's. Antihistamine and tossed the devil flowers out made all the difference. At the time of those coughs I had no other allergy symptoms... it was weird.
    I take allergy meds every day.

Just got done at walk in clinic number 2.

Got antibiotics and cough meds. That was exhausting.

Codeine cough syrup?

Quote Originally Posted by Summer View Post
    Codeine cough syrup?
    No a different kind I think that id better he said.

You can have my expired bottle if you like.

That's a real kind offer, but I'll pass thanks.

Good luck with the new stuff. Maybe it's the kind where you hallucinate if you drink the whole bottle. That'll give you something else to do tonight if you can't sleep, plus there might be a good TR in it for the rest of us.

I agree with Buzzworthy. ER. Where do you live? What kind of insurance to you have and is it employer provided or self purchased?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    I agree with Buzzworthy. ER. Where do you live? What kind of insurance to you have and is it employer provided or self purchased?
    I got into the walk in clinic. Got antibiotics and benzonatate cough pills.

Could have gotten prednisone but I didn't want to deal with steroid side effects.

Will do chest xray if this doesn't improve. Dr didnt think it looks like pneumonia and I couldn't deal with being out and in dr offices any longer today.

Prednisone sucks. I can’t stand it.

But they have taper pack doses that are more tolerable to me. I forget the name of the steroid.

I’m surprised they didn’t give you a nebulizer. That shit is awesome for trouble breathing or coughing.

Flucitasone inhalers are good as well. Takes a few days to kick in.

The antibiotics will surely help with pneumonia and somewhat with bronchitis

Dr Core Shot needs to repeat medical school

I already have an abuteral inhaler.

Feeling marginally better. I will likely be able to sleep. Thanks all. I suck at dealing phone calls and waiting and feeling really sick and trying to talk but they can't understand me.

Quote Originally Posted by mb6f50 View Post
    I already have an abuteral inhaler.

Feeling marginally better. I will likely be able to sleep. Thanks all. I suck at dealing phone calls and waiting and feeling really sick and trying to talk but they can't understand me.
    Good to hear you got the care you needed. Thanks for reporting back. We're here remotely, but if you have someone closer geographically don't hesitate to ask for help when in need.. My son called 911 and got an ambulance while away at college when he had a severe abdominal pain episode. Turned out to be a kidney stone. We don't regret paying $160 (after regular coverage) for that ambulance transportation to ER. It gets you a check in screen quicker if you roll up in an ambulance I believe.

I personally suck at reaching out for help though... so I get it..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

for the week ending July 1, 2022 -

almost 110,000 cases diagnosed daily;

almost 300 death daily
    ( at this point, it is unclear to me whether the claim is from covid, or with covid - and I'm not sure it really matters - covid is a contributing factor. )

these numbers appear to be largely unchanged since March ;
    I will have to do further reading about whether this would appropriately be considered 'endemic' -
    intuitively, I suspect there are economic and political reasons to claim it is still part of the pandemic
    ( I believe it is reported elsewhere there is a preliminary recommendation for a revised variant vaccine for October.

sign me up -- )

wishing all a good Fourth of July weekend...

skJ

Quote Originally Posted by skiJ View Post
    for the week ending July 1, 2022 -

almost 110,000 cases diagnosed daily;

almost 300 death daily
    ( at this point, it is unclear to me whether the claim is from covid, or with covid - and I'm not sure it really matters - covid is a contributing factor. )
    Yeah, I haven't got my head wrapped around "with" Covid. If someone dies from a car crash, and they had covid, I guess that's "with" Covid. Trouble is, only 100 people die per day from car crashes, and 99 of them don't have covid. That leaves about 300 a day dead "from" covid. As near as I can tell, "with" is a canard from the folks who are done with Covid, and want to pretend it's not that bad.

Is it possible for somebody to be infected with 2 variants at once? My simple brain says “yes.” But does it matter?

BIL, SIL, and niece are sick. BIL caught it last. SIL and their kid likely caught it from different places, one possibly while traveling, and one while at a large crowded indoor event (Bay Area). I know there are at least 3 variants responsible for most infections in the US, ba.2.12.2, ba.4, and ba.5.

Interestingly, the BIL was first symptomatic, yesterday, got a pcr test shortly after feeling bad, got his (-) results this morning, but felt much worse, took a RAT, and tested (+). That’s a pretty fast change. The SIL and daughter also tested (+) on RATs today. They previously had tested (-) on PCR’s given on Tuesday and RATs on Monday, tues, and Thursday (they were starting to think they had something else).

Also, new variant cruising through the population in India, ba.2.75.

I’m not sure this is the viral behavior when it’s “endemic.”

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Is it possible for somebody to be infected with 2 variants at once? My simple brain says “yes.” But does it matter?

BIL, SIL, and niece are sick. BIL caught it last. SIL and their kid likely caught it from different places, one possibly while traveling, and one while at a large crowded indoor event (Bay Area). I know there are at least 3 variants responsible for most infections in the US, ba.2.12.2, ba.4, and ba.5.

Interestingly, the BIL was first symptomatic, yesterday, got a pcr test shortly after feeling bad, got his (-) results this morning, but felt much worse, took a RAT, and tested (+). That’s a pretty fast change. The SIL and daughter also tested (+) on RATs today. They previously had tested (-) on PCR’s given on Tuesday and RATs on Monday, tues, and Thursday (they were starting to think they had something else).

Also, new variant cruising through the population in India, ba.2.75.

I’m not sure this is the viral behavior when it’s “endemic.”
    Hope you all do well.

No reason you couldn't have 2 covid variants, 2 flu variants, RSV, monkey pox, and a cold all at once. Probability says no, and good luck finding someone to test for that many viruses at once (though cheap multivalent tests may be standard in the future).

The endemic debate might be like early days when we hoped NPIs might stop Covid, or we hoped vaccines would stop Covid. We hope endemic means low levels of Covid. We hope Covid won't continue killing 350,000 of us per year. That would suck pretty bad. Maybe it drops down to flu/pneumonia levels at 35,000 per year. Covid as an extra flu would still suck. At this point just about everyone is recovered or vaccinated, and it's summer, so 300 per day might be the future low season. That is, maybe it's endemic now. Might be as good as it gets until some immunologist makes a discovery.

Covid as extra flu would suck, especially with the potential for long term disabilities after each(?) infection. With the current level of immune-evasiveness of newer variants and apparent high level of contagious of those variants, it looks like there’s potential of infection more than once a year unless something changes with the virus or our population response.

Who all have had major summer plans derailed by covid? My family were planning to take over a friends house this entire week while the friends were on a long road trip. Those friends are now all at home with covid and my family is mostly shit out of luck and “staycationing.” My BIL and SIL from a few posts upthread were supposed to leave town this weekend and visiting friends and family in several areas across the country (multiple flights and hotels in several cities). All on-hold.

Raises hand. My wife and I were supposed to take a road trip to Utah to bike and called the whole thing off with her ongoing lung issues. 5 weeks before she could do anything 2 days in a row and she's still hating day 2. Hopefully fitness returns with time and exercise at some point, but so far it's been slow.

I was supposed to go sailing in the SF Bay this weekend but the girl with the boat got COVID so I stayed home.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I still can't breathe right after my bout of not covid despite antibiotics, prednisone, benzonatate and albuteral inhaler.

I'm otherwise better, though.

About a month ago, 3 days into a 2 week vacation, I got it and had to head home early which sucked. Then I got it again, yesterday. Fack me. I thought I couldn't get it quickly again.

https://www.itnonline.com/content/mr...covid-patients

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/lung-abn...lessness/29798

https://news.westernu.ca/2022/06/inn...ovid-symptoms/

^using special MRI scans to look at the lungs of patients with long covid symptoms to try and figure out where the shortness of breath is coming from - abnormalities are being found which might help explain the symptoms and hopefully then allow for treatment and maybe even prevention during acute covid infection.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    https://www.itnonline.com/content/mr...covid-patients

https://www.nihr.ac.uk/news/lung-abn...lessness/29798

https://news.westernu.ca/2022/06/inn...ovid-symptoms/

^using special MRI scans to look at the lungs of patients with long covid symptoms to try and figure out where the shortness of breath is coming from - abnormalities are being found which might help explain the symptoms and hopefully then allow for treatment and maybe even prevention during acute covid infection.
    It seems like the test might be useful for someone who needs documentation in order to qualify for disability payments and for convincing a skeptical world that long covid exists. Hard to see how the test will help treatment. Problems with alveolar/capillary oxygen exchange have been identified for decades without any treatment being developed.

Wachter had a long tweet about the growing problem with BA.5, including citing topol’s recent blog post
    https://mobile.twitter.com/bob_wacht...9YWXABeYC4wIJA
    https://erictopol.substack.com/p/a-reinfection-red-flag

Muted reborn, your quick reinfection May fall into a scenario described in those posts, ie little previous immunity from previous infection.

Sorry to hear about those with derailed plans. My list of nonmag friends in that situation grows every day.

We ended up getting a hook-up and are crammed into a small condo in mammoth. We hoped to see some old friends here but they just tucked tail and ran home because they all got sick while here in mammoth. Zero masking here. Every indoor space packed.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It seems like the test might be useful for someone who needs documentation in order to qualify for disability payments and for convincing a skeptical world that long covid exists. Hard to see how the test will help treatment. Problems with alveolar/capillary oxygen exchange have been identified for decades without any treatment being developed.
    The “absence of an effective treatment” is still a valuable piece of information to have vs being stuck at the “we don’t know what the physiological issue is” stage

Wachter had a long tweet about the growing problem with BA.5, including citing topol’s recent blog post

Muted reborn, your quick reinfection May fall into a scenario described in those posts, ie little previous immunity from previous infection.

Sorry to hear about those with derailed plans. My list of nonmag friends in that situation grows every day.

We ended up getting a hook-up and are crammed into a small condo in mammoth. We hoped to see some old friends here but they just tucked tail and ran home because they all got sick while here in mammoth. Zero masking here. Every indoor space packed.
    christ. Thanks for that. If I had known that I would have been wearing a mask on my work trip where I got infected the second time, just last week. Everyone should read that post - if he’s right it’s gonna be a worry.

Under more tweets, this is completely unrelated but priceless:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20220705-083315.png 
Views:	93 
Size:	610.8 KB 
ID:	420722
    I see hydraulic turtles.