Page 1606 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1601 1602 1603 1604 1605 1606 1607 1608 1609 1610 1611 ... LastLast
Results 40,126 to 40,150 of 41810
    I know OSHA had a large(?) hearing about it in May. Unclear of the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by altacoup View Post
    At this point not letting family see their loved ones seems cruel. I mean no shit there’s community spread. But we’re living with this virus forever. If people choose not to protect themselves with vaccines and paxlovid, that’s their choice. The hospitals aren’t over run anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I’m not sure that the vax and paxlovid combo is the solution…. It’s still keeping people out of work and it’s maybe (?) reducing potential for long Covid (I saw there’s a new journal article out today about this regarding vax and first omicron).

Letting potential contagious people into the hospital to visit family of a stroke victim perhaps (?) could increase potential to infect those that are immunocompromised and unable to protect themselves or increase chance of infecting staff.

My question: how many covid infections a year are people comfortable having?

a couple of thoughts -

Maybe it's time to move past the practice of the hospital being a social setting ;
    I see the value in 'loved ones' being able to say 'goodbye to family members', but maybe that is even a ( out-)dated practice ;

A million covid cases annually (?)
    cdc is still documenting nearly a million cases weekly (!)
    ... a million cases, weekly - documented.

almost 300 deaths - weekly --

my other thought is this idea that vaccination is an individual choice in a deadly pandemic -
    This cat is out of the proverbial bag, and we could have and we should have done better -

I consider this to have been a failure of (political) leadership ( no surprise there ) and a failure to understand the better "freedom" is in doing what is better for our fellow (people / mankind) ...

to the question of how many covid infections one is willing to accept and an idea to this question that a person could experience four covid infections in the last year,
    covid Should impart some immunity, for about six months before that immunity wanes - -
    But I would not expect to survive a third case of covid in twelve months ( being old. and having lung damage from Influenza and pneumonia. and being old )

fear and loathing -
    it will be interesting to see how this is 'playing' in the Fall as the mid-term election looms...

I'm not worried about Me.
    But I do worry about transmitting to my older and elderly neighbors - and yet, Dave is healthier than I am. for now. and He is elderly ( over 75 )

it's out there -
    I am not comfortable with that.

thanks for listening -
    I hope you have a good weekend !
    wishing All happy Father's Day wishes...

tj

Left for the coast yesterday, stopped in Wilmington to load up on groceries for the extended weekend. Haven't seen a single mask since leaving "the city of medicine".

Yes, vaxxed folks, especially with a mask on, should be able to hug and say goodbye to their loved ones now that we know the vax protects from serious illness very well.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

[QUOTE=skiJ;6636881]a couple of thoughts -

Maybe it's time to move past the practice of the hospital being a social setting ;
    I see the value in 'loved ones' being able to say 'goodbye to family members', but maybe that is even a ( out-)dated practice ;

A million covid cases annually (?)
    cdc is still documenting nearly a million cases weekly (!)
    ... a million cases, weekly - documented.

almost 300 deaths - weekly --

my other thought is this idea that vaccination is an individual choice in a deadly pandemic -
    This cat is out of the proverbial bag, and we could have and we should have done better -

I consider this to have been a failure of (political) leadership ( no surprise there ) and a failure to understand the better "freedom" is in doing what is better for our fellow (people / mankind) ...

to the question of how many covid infections one is willing to accept and an idea to this question that a person could experience four covid infections in the last year,
    covid Should impart some immunity, for about six months before that immunity wanes - -
    But I would not expect to survive a third case of covid in twelve months ( being old. and having lung damage from Influenza and pneumonia. and being old )

fear and loathing -
    it will be interesting to see how this is 'playing' in the Fall as the mid-term election looms...

I'm not worried about Me.
    But I do worry about transmitting to my older and elderly neighbors - and yet, Dave is healthier than I am. for now. and He is elderly ( over 75 )

it's out there -
    I am not comfortable with that.

thanks for listening -
    I hope you have a good weekend !
    wishing All happy Father's Day wishes...

If saying good bye to loved ones is out dated, then we might as well all die. I was as cautious as anyone before vaccines. But at some point we need to get moving and live.

Hah--wonder if SkiJ sees the irony of wishing people a happy Fathers' Day while saying that visiting sick and dying people in the hospital is outdated.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Hah--wonder if SkiJ sees the irony of wishing people a happy Fathers' Day while saying that visiting sick and dying people in the hospital is outdated.
    Can you do a couple of shirts for me while the iron is hot?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

a couple of big leaps there fellas -

I stand by what I said - and I said,

" Maybe it's time to move past the hospital being a social setting ;
    I see the value in 'loved ones' being able to 'say goodbye' to family members ; but maybe even that is a dated practice ( - at the hospital. context, fellas )

irony (?) maybe.

from my perspective, goat, 'visiting' people in the hospital was part of your job. we called it "rounds" ;

a Surgeon may be the wrong person to ask, but do you want to 'say goodbye' and die at the hospital ( goat ) (?)

I do not intend to.

similarly, altacoup, context - 'say goodbye' When And Where you choose -

I proposed a small celebration for my father's 84th Birthday, after my father had spent three years in resident care with Alzheimer's and had four people visit him more than once in three years ( Bless Mel. and the Good staff ) ;

Mother said no. so I wrote to his friends...

This has become a Sad place - reflective of our 2022 society...

' go jump in the lake ' skiJ

Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

Vaxxed and double boosted (most recently about 2 weeks ago) and now I’m back in quarantine as I tested + yesterday. That’s what I get for leaving Vermont.

A runny nose, hacking wet cough (initially which has become intermittent), and exhaustion all struck. I wonder what I would have felt like without the jabs.

How does dead feel?

Just spent 2 hrs at a funeral service. Fingers crossed. Got covid the last time I went to a church.
    Seeker of Truth. Dispenser of Wisdom. Protector of the Weak. Avenger of Evil.

Quote Originally Posted by Cisco Kid View Post
    How does dead feel?
    Like…nothing, hopefully.

I finally got it. My girlfriend was exposed a little over a week ago at work, we spent last weekend camping and came back to cell service that her office was all sick. We isolated her immediately but guess it didn't work. I'm triple vaxed so hopefully won't be too bad but I feel like shit.

The mother of our Maid of Honor was rushed to the hospital yesterday and tested positive. She'd been in a home hospice situation for over a year, not good. Now her kids are wondering who brought it in to the house. Our friend is devastated and hopes it wasn't her, but it's either her or one of her brothers. Our son was also there a week ago so he tested last night when we heard. He is negative, a full week after he was at that location. So, it's also possible it was him but he's clear now. He works with/for the friend at the same office so odds are they'd both have it if one of them did.. so probably one of the brothers..

It's extremely unhealthy mentally to try to assign blame in these things but how does someone stop from wondering and wanting to go back in time to fix it?
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

I rewatched Contagion on Netflix last night. Is it me or did the cut some of it out. I thought I remembered more to the movie. Seemed like just bits and pieces of a movie.

This is good news. Seems like we're entering that endemic phase that's been discussed for so long:
    For two years, the coronavirus killed Americans on a brutal, predictable schedule: A few weeks after infections climbed so did deaths, cutting an unforgiving path across the country.

But that pattern appears to have changed. Nearly three months since an ultra-contagious set of new Omicron variants launched a springtime resurgence of cases, people are nonetheless dying from Covid at a rate close to the lowest of the pandemic....

Because so many Americans have now been vaccinated or infected or both, they said, the number of people whose immune systems are entirely unprepared for the virus has significantly dwindled.

“In previous waves, there were still substantial pockets of people who had not been vaccinated or exposed to the virus, and so were at the same risk of dying as people at the beginning of the pandemic,” said Dr. David Dowdy, an epidemiologist at Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health. “Those pockets don’t exist anymore.”
    https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/20/h...s-plateau.html

Counterpoint:

“The latest sub-variants of Omicron may have evolved to target the lung, prompting fears the next wave of the Covid could be starting.

Hospital admissions for Covid patients in England have begun to grow again, new NHS data shows.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...05002.html?amp

Meanwhile

Israel sees 70% spike in number of seriously ill COVID patients within a week

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...in-a-week/amp/

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I wonder what I would have felt like without the jabs.
    A runny nose, hacking wet cough (initially which has become intermittent), and exhaustion all struck.
    Hello darkness my old friend

Quote Originally Posted by Dhelihiker View Post
    A runny nose, hacking wet cough (initially which has become intermittent), and exhaustion all struck.
    ..... and no spoons sticking to your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by funkendrenchman View Post
    Counterpoint:

“The latest sub-variants of Omicron may have evolved to target the lung, prompting fears the next wave of the Covid could be starting.

Hospital admissions for Covid patients in England have begun to grow again, new NHS data shows.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/h...05002.html?amp

Meanwhile

Israel sees 70% spike in number of seriously ill COVID patients within a week

https://www.timesofisrael.com/israel...in-a-week/amp/
    Goddammit. Can't there ever be good news with this virus?

Somebody want to give a tgr-level summary of the immune imprinting paper?

My 10 second skim: prior infection may not result in immunity to future variants. https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq1841

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Somebody want to give a tgr-level summary of the immune imprinting paper?

My 10 second skim: prior infection may not result in immunity to future variants. https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/science.abq1841
    "Immune imprinting" is what we used to call "original antigenic sin."

In essence this is looking at the resulting memory response to the 1st infection Ag vs the response to 2nd infection Ag. In the second infection, the body is primed to increase/expand the memory pool to what it first saw ("original sin") at the expense of the novel/unique epitopes encountered in the second exposure, both at a b and t cell level. So an infection with Wu-1, followed by an infection with Omicron, should/will enhance the immunity to the shared original Wu-1 epitopes more than it will respond and generating memory to the novel epitopes of Omicron. Which means great protection against the strains no longer circulating, but less protection for the next set of strain variants coming out of the Omicron lineage like BA.4 and BA.5.

Bit of a review from last year on same topic.

https://www.cell.com/trends/immunolo...906(21)00177-0

Move upside and let the man go through...

Thank you!

Aspirin for 4-8 weeks once infected?

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    Goddammit. Can't there ever be good news with this virus?
    Yes, I saw a handful of covid patients last week, some unvaccinated, some 2nd infection, none had pulmonary burden, all were old enough to have not done well last fall.

Hamsters don't always correlate with real world, sometimes they do.

Quote Originally Posted by Trackhead View Post
    Yes, I saw a handful of covid patients last week, some unvaccinated, some 2nd infection, none had pulmonary burden, all were old enough to have not done well last fall.

Hamsters don't always correlate with real world, sometimes they do.
    Discussion on On Point this morning the doctor was saying 95% of the population shows antibodies in serum tests.

Very few people wearing masks here and for most people the sky isn't falling. The majority of the people my wife works with that had covid the last bit were people that hadn't been symptomatic with the disease so far and her omicron infection from very early January seems to have protected her.

Yeah, we might catch Omicron V8 or whatever version we are on now but it doesn't seem to be a guarantee and if we do it probably won't kill us or give us long covid.

We have kids. One works at a hip Pizza Joint. Other interacting with so many people. They are getting older and living life. Daughter was 9 when this started so 1/5 of her life? Too many leaks in our ship anyway.

Wear a mask when/if it seems appropriate (I still rarely do) but mask at all cost because the next variant is here and sky is going to fall might just need to chill for a bit.

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

As a follow up, I tested + twice at home, my wife tested once + and once - at home and was neg on the PCR test. My daughter tested - both times and home but came up pos on the PCR.

We all have symptoms.