Page 1565 of 1605 FirstFirst ... 1560 1561 1562 1563 1564 1565 1566 1567 1568 1569 1570 ... LastLast
Results 39,101 to 39,125 of 40118
  1. #39101
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    8,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I exaggerate when I say it's over. It will never be over in our lifetimes. But it's becoming endemic. We're out of the real killing phase. Fuck, we still live with strains of the 1918 flu. But, we live in a wonderful world of quickly developed vaccines, that will save millions.
    When it's only killing as many people or less than the seasonal flu it will then be "endemic".. but right now we're at least 10X beyond that level of safety and healthcare system ability to manage things. Get your jabs, keep your mask on in public, and we'll get there. Keep whining about it without doing those things and it will take a LOT longer to get there..
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  2. #39102
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    50,361
    We'll be there by the summer.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  3. #39103
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,535
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy
    When it's only killing as many people or less than the seasonal flu it will then be "endemic".. but right now we're at least 10X beyond that level of safety and healthcare system ability to manage things. Get your jabs, keep your mask on in public, and we'll get there. Keep whining about it without doing those things and it will take a LOT longer to get there..
    Agreed. I'm hoping that omicron takes us into another phase, but at this point it's wishful thinking. Currently more people than ever are hospitalized and deaths are at 2,000 per day and continuing to climb. Until both those metrics drop significantly and stay that way for months I wouldn't want to say we're out of the woods.

  4. #39104
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    16,156
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The number we are not seeing--or at least I can't find it--is how many of those 2000 deaths per day are vaccinated vs unvaccinated. Lots of anecdotal reports that the ICU's are full of unvaccinated people but no hard national numbers. Here's a conspiracy theory I could believe--that the CDC doesn't want people to know that vaccinated people are dying, because that might discourage some people from getting vaccinated. More likely the data is just not available in the reports from the states.
    I saw on the local news, a Sinclair station so grain of salt, that the number of vaccinated in the ICU was almost the same as the number of unvaccinated here in the Portland area. Now, there are a lot of vaccinated folks here so it goes to reason that as most (80% ish) are vaccinated, regardless of the reason, most in the ICU will too be vaccinated. I don't know about on vents tho.

    I would like to see vaccinated person who had covid died of XYZ reason...meaning, I'm assuming most of the deaths would happen regardless of their vaccination status, like they died of cancer but were also COVID positive, things like that. Is our way of tracking deaths that nuanced?
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

  5. #39105
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    19,843
    The pandemic will be officially over when Benny can go ski in Italy. Walensky announced it in her news conference this morning.

  6. #39106
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    The Bull City
    Posts
    8,465
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I saw on the local news, a Sinclair station so grain of salt, that the number of vaccinated in the ICU was almost the same as the number of unvaccinated here in the Portland area. Now, there are a lot of vaccinated folks here so it goes to reason that as most (80% ish) are vaccinated, regardless of the reason, most in the ICU will too be vaccinated. I don't know about on vents tho.?
    Ya it's meaningless without the REASON the vaxxed and unvaxxed are there in the hospital for.. The ERs have always been full of people before the pandemic. Betting the vast majority of vaxxed are there for non COVID trauma. People are also intubated for a variety of different reasons. What's the % of vaxxed on the vent because of COVID complications? Lies, damned lies, and statistics...
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

  7. #39107
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I saw on the local news, a Sinclair station so grain of salt, that the number of vaccinated in the ICU was almost the same as the number of unvaccinated here in the Portland area. Now, there are a lot of vaccinated folks here so it goes to reason that as most (80% ish) are vaccinated, regardless of the reason, most in the ICU will too be vaccinated. I don't know about on vents tho.

    I would like to see vaccinated person who had covid died of XYZ reason...meaning, I'm assuming most of the deaths would happen regardless of their vaccination status, like they died of cancer but were also COVID positive, things like that. Is our way of tracking deaths that nuanced?
    https://www.oregon.gov/oha/covid19/D...ase-Report.pdf


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  8. #39108
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    50,361
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    The pandemic will be officially over when Benny can go ski in Italy. Walensky announced it in her news conference this morning.
    Funny. That's actually a milestone for me. Next season.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  9. #39109
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    50,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    "Cases of COVID-19 are much more common in unvaccinated4 individuals than in vaccinated individuals (Figure 1). The rate of COVID-19 cases among unvaccinated individuals in the most recent week was nearly 8 times the rate of COVID-19 cases among those who are fully vaccinated. Community spread is extreme throughout the state. As COVID-19 cases have increased across Oregon, vaccine breakthrough cases have also increased, but at a much lower rate than in the unvaccinated. Vaccination, including boosting, remains the most effective tool to reduce the spread of COVID-19."

    And, over and over, I fail to read details on severity of illness. A sniffle and a cough? Hospital admission?

    Plus, comorbidities, please.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  10. #39110
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    19,843
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    That's the kind of info I've been looking for. Thanks.
    In my age group 2% risk of death from a breakthrough case. Not a huge risk but not trivial. The same as the risk of my open heart surgery.
    Another interesting bit from the report is how much lower the case rate is among the vaccinated. It's not just that the vaccinated don't die from covid as often as the unvaccinated; they don't catch covid nearly as often. This is from a time period where omicron was the great majority of cases. So the vaccines do protect against infection, although not as well as for earlier variants.

    And AA--as I said before if a death is reported as due to covid it was due to covid. A death from another cause in someone who had tested positive for covid would not be reported as a covid death, although it would be reported as a covid case. A covid case is anyone who tests positive. A covid hospitalization or death is a case where covid was the reason for it.

    And this was discussed a while back--the typical death certificate for someone dying of covid might read "acute respiratory failure, due to viral pneumonia, due to covid 19", with each of those diagnoses being on a separate line. The deniers would look at the top line and say "see, they didn't die of covid--they died of respiratory failure" and ignore the other two lines. Typically in a death certificate it's the third line that tells you the underlying cause of death.

    And one more thing--if the only thing getting vaxed and wearing a mask to shop does for me is keep me from losing a week of the ski season, it's worth it.
    I don't have that many more ski seasons left.

  11. #39111
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    6,900
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    "

    And, over and over, I fail to read details.
    Let's just keep it concise, shall we?

  12. #39112
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    A covid hospitalization or death is a case where covid was the reason for it.
    In regards to hospitalizations of children due to COVID, the NYTimes seems to disagree with you:

    "Also complicating the picture: Alarming hospitalization figures can be misleading because they sometimes include all children who have tested positive for the coronavirus upon admission."

    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/28/h...lizations.html

  13. #39113
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    50,361
    Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    Let's just keep it concise, shall we?
    Fine. Focus. Facts. Who's sick, and how sick? How old are they? What other pre existing conditions contribute? Fat? Diabetic? Cancer? Not this generalized, "everybody hide!" Shit. Or maybe pay attention to the inequality of treatment, too. The kids at Princeton are triple vaxxed and restricted in movement, when the chance of 99% of them getting sick is super low, while ghetto kids are getting tossed in the trash, as usual.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  14. #39114
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,186
    Maybe give your podcasts another listen. Jot down the names of the experts. Look up their own published works and the sources they’ve cited to reach their conclusions. In other words, do your own fucking research. Dipshit.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  15. #39115
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,186

    Fear and Loathing, a Rat Flu Odyssey

    .
    Last edited by mcphee; 01-25-2022 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Delete double post

  16. #39116
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,535
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    The kids at Princeton are triple vaxxed and restricted in movement, when the chance of 99% of them getting sick is super low
    Yes, their risk is low, but their risk of infecting others is at least as high as older people's. That's the point. The #1 response has to be putting in measure to limit the spread of the virus, not gauge how likely an individual is to get sick.

  17. #39117
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    We'll be there by the summer.
    I don't know if COVID is done for good because of possible new variants, but I think it is safe to say by March 1st, COVID will be done in the US (for at least the next six months). UK's 14 day rate of new cases is -46% right now. Omicron will go away as fast as it came. So if you have been waiting for the last two years to do anything, you have your six month window to do it starting in March, maybe even mid-February.

  18. #39118
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    5,512
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I don't know if COVID is done for good because of possible new variants, but I think it is safe to say by March 1st, COVID will be done in the US (for at least the next six months). UK's 14 day rate of new cases is -46% right now. Omicron will go away as fast as it came. So if you have been waiting for the last two years to do anything, you have your six month window to do it starting in March, maybe even mid-February.
    Listen to a lawyer for medical advice?

    LOL!!!


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

  19. #39119
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Nhampshire
    Posts
    6,840
    Quote Originally Posted by SumJongGuy View Post
    Ya it's meaningless without the REASON the vaxxed and unvaxxed are there in the hospital for.. The ERs have always been full of people before the pandemic. Betting the vast majority of vaxxed are there for non COVID trauma. People are also intubated for a variety of different reasons. What's the % of vaxxed on the vent because of COVID complications? Lies, damned lies, and statistics...
    Not to mention total population of vaxxed and unvaxxed, as even on the surface it seems to be 4X worse for unvaccinated folks.

  20. #39120
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    Listen to a lawyer for medical advice?
    Point me to anything, I mean ANYTHING, that says my take is wrong.

    The reason the UK has declared COVID over* isn't just because BoJo wants a diversion. Everyone there either is vaccinated or has immunity through natural infection. The US lags the UK because we have a lower vaccination rate, less of our population has been naturally infected with COVID, and we were hit by Omicron after the UK. But all of that just means we will lag UK by a few weeks.

    *no one can declare COVID over for good because of unknown variants but it is safe to say society will have widespread immunity for at least the next six months.

  21. #39121
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Posts
    1,186
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Point me to anything, I mean ANYTHING, that says my take is wrong.
    You really are Benny’s son.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  22. #39122
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Squaw valley
    Posts
    3,820
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Point me to anything, I mean ANYTHING, that says my take is wrong.

    The reason the UK has declared COVID over* isn't just because BoJo wants a diversion. Everyone there either is vaccinated or has immunity through natural infection. The US lags the UK because we have a lower vaccination rate, less of our population has been naturally infected with COVID, and we were hit by Omicron after the UK. But all of that just means we will lag UK by a few weeks.

    *no one can declare COVID over for good because of unknown variants but it is safe to say society will have widespread immunity for at least the next six months.
    Yeah, uk is trending down.

    Butt how about France and Germany?

    Sent from my moto g 5G using Tapatalk

  23. #39123
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Keep Tacoma Feared
    Posts
    3,293
    Quote Originally Posted by rod9301 View Post
    Yeah, uk is trending down.

    Butt how about France and Germany?
    Omicron hit UK first of all nations on earth outside of Africa. So France and Germany are more like the US (lagging a bit). Wait three weeks and you will see the same phenomenon there.

    The place in the US that was first hit by Omicron and most closely mirrors the situation in the UK in real time today? NYC. And cases are plummeting there.

  24. #39124
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    8,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Fine. Focus. Facts. Who's sick, and how sick? How old are they? What other pre existing conditions contribute? Fat? Diabetic? Cancer? Not this generalized, "everybody hide!" Shit. Or maybe pay attention to the inequality of treatment, too.
    “I am entitled to answers and you need to find them for me! If you don’t then I must be right!”

  25. #39125
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    24,535
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    Point me to anything, I mean ANYTHING, that says my take is wrong.
    I think your take is probably pretty good other than I wouldn't want to bank on a six month reprieve.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •