Page 1115 of 1673 FirstFirst ... 1110 1111 1112 1113 1114 1115 1116 1117 1118 1119 1120 ... LastLast
Results 27,851 to 27,875 of 41810
    Quote Originally Posted by altasnob View Post
    I found this article in the New York Times, but by conservative opinion writer, Ross Douthat, interesting:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/06/o...gtype=Homepage

Talks about how everyone hates Trump so much that it is effecting our ability to make tough, objective choices when it comes to things like school reopenings. Also talks about how school closures most affect low income and minority students.

When schools closed last spring, did anyone assume they would remain closed until we have a wide spread vaccine that ends the pandemic? But today, that seems to be most peoples' view on when we should open schools and other things back up. This is the teachers' unions' point of view, which is not surprising considering they are getting paid the exact same thing regardless of whether school is in person or remote. The article talks about how people's hatred of Trump has allowed the teachers' union to gain control of when schools are open again.
    You post this as if they were bad things. Distain Trump and teachers leading in school safety are logical.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Just found out yesterday all of the in-laws have the covid. Father-in-law was hospitalized, too, and on oxygen. They're all across the pond in Europe. Shit sucks and I know these next two to three weeks are going to be awful while we wait for a hopeful recovery.

There's talk of flying there, but I don't see that as helpful unless we have a case of remdesivir tagging along with us.

In my area, the administrators and elected school boards have been clear that they are opening because parents (voters) have requested it. Safety is secondary.

Hence the need for union input. Parents and admin have the same motive to open, $$$. Teachers earn and work whether open or closed. And teachers work is harder when school buildings are closed.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by tetzen View Post
    Just found out yesterday all of the in-laws have the covid. Father-in-law was hospitalized, too, and on oxygen. They're all across the pond in Europe. Shit sucks and I know these next two to three weeks are going to be awful while we wait for a hopeful recovery.

There's talk of flying there, but I don't see that as helpful unless we have a case of remdesivir tagging along with us.
    Sorry to hear that. But Americans can't go to Europe now anyway, can they?

Quote Originally Posted by fhw View Post
    Sorry to hear that. But Americans can't go to Europe now anyway, can they?
    They're in a country that still permits entry to Americans. Wife still has citizenship there as well, so she can go in through repatriation flights.

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    ... Not sure I’m ready to put my kid back in daily school despite the general stability we have in OR
    It still seems ripe for a superspreader without any anti-viral solutions in place as of yet
    I know my kids are not going back to school if/when they open. I can work from home and so it is not worth the risk of a superspreader event to get my kids back into school. We have low numbers here in Seattle area, but it only takes one infected kid to cause a lot of chaos. I'm able to keep them at home, so I will.

The "back to school" that I think people are envisioning is not going to happen. Kids will be at their desk all day. Eating lunch at desks with no recess or social interaction besides shouting to their friends 3 desks (18 feet) away. They won't be able to "see their friends" in a traditional sense and I'm not sure the learning will be any better.

I think the entire school year is toast and hopefully by next fall, we will have a well distributed, reliable vaccine.

Sorry! Vibes!

best of luck to your in-laws, tetzen.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Name:  3500.jpg
Views: 906
Size:  23.8 KB

That leech looks like an evil version of Hunter Thompson in this pic. Without the drugs or the fun, just the crazy.
    "Your wife being mad is temporary, but pow turns do not get unmade" - mallwalker the wise

They're in a country that still permits entry to Americans. Wife still has citizenship there as well, so she can go in through repatriation flights.
    Which nation is this? Asking for a friend...

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    best of luck to your in-laws, tetzen.
    Thanks Danno and folks. Hoping for the best here, but in for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Which nation is this? Asking for a friend...

Ukraine. Still gotta do a Covid test prior to, or on arrival. They also make you take a tracing-app on your phone, too.
    Not much in the way of skiing there, but Kyiv and Lviv are cool cities to visit and really enjoyed my times there so far.

That's not Europe anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by SorryBro View Post
    I know my kids are not going back to school if/when they open. I can work from home and so it is not worth the risk of a superspreader event to get my kids back into school. We have low numbers here in Seattle area, but it only takes one infected kid to cause a lot of chaos. I'm able to keep them at home, so I will.

The "back to school" that I think people are envisioning is not going to happen. Kids will be at their desk all day. Eating lunch at desks with no recess or social interaction besides shouting to their friends 3 desks (18 feet) away. They won't be able to "see their friends" in a traditional sense and I'm not sure the learning will be any better.

I think the entire school year is toast and hopefully by next fall, we will have a well distributed, reliable vaccine.
    Going through my articles this morning there was a headline about how parents of the most expensive and elite private school in Manhattan, I forget it's name, are pissed that they're spending 56 grand a year for Zoom. Haha, there's poetic justice there on a few levels.

When schools closed last spring, did anyone assume they would remain closed until we have a wide spread vaccine that ends the pandemic? But today, that seems to be most peoples' view on when we should open schools and other things back up. This is the teachers' unions' point of view, which is not surprising considering they are getting paid the exact same thing regardless of whether school is in person or remote. The article talks about how people's hatred of Trump has allowed the teachers' union to gain control of when schools are open again.
    I expected schools to remain closed until we got the pandemic under control, and then for an occasional outbreak to close the local schools near the outbreak. Sort of like New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, China, etc. I did not expect a great country like the USA to fail at solving a solved problem.

When they closed, I was pretty sure that school year was done for. Pandemic control should have been completed about the same time as the abandoned school year - by late May. At this point, a competent response would have only sporadic imported cases. I'm tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    I expected schools to remain closed until we got the pandemic under control, and then for an occasional outbreak to close the local schools near the outbreak. Sort of like New Zealand, Australia, South Korea, Taiwan, Vietnam, China, etc. I did not expect a great country like the USA to fail at solving a solved problem.

When they closed, I was pretty sure that school year was done for. Pandemic control should have been completed about the same time as the abandoned school year - by late May. At this point, a competent response would have only sporadic imported cases. I'm tired of winning.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Going through my articles this morning there was a headline about how parents of the most expensive and elite private school in Manhattan, I forget it's name, are pissed that they're spending 56 grand a year for Zoom. Haha, there's poetic justice there on a few levels.
    They don't actually care because (1) they are rich and (2) the name of the school is still associated with their child, and by extension, their own names.

I, on the other hand, switch my kids to public before the start of this year because it didnt take a genius to see this coming, I dont have cash to burn and I dont care about the name of the school, just the kids' education. Turns out the public school, while very highly ranked, is outperforming the expensive private school virtual response and I don't have to deal with the God bs. Very happy.

When schools closed last spring, did anyone assume they would remain closed until we have a wide spread vaccine that ends the pandemic?
    I and a lot of other people sure as shit did. Sorry you had your head in the sand.

Ukraine. Still gotta do a Covid test prior to, or on arrival. They also make you take a tracing-app on your phone, too.
    Not much in the way of skiing there, but Kyiv and Lviv are cool cities to visit and really enjoyed my times there so far.

best of luck and best wishes...

ps I have a very strong connection to Lvov... growing up there and such...

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I and a lot of other people sure as shit did. Sorry you had your head in the sand.
    Well, it really does depend on what part of the country you live in. My sister's got two step children down in MS, and they are all back in school. Found out over the weekend, that the step daughter tested positive for COVID. So far just mild symptoms. Hopefully a full recovery. But everyone down there worships Trump in what is now the former Bible Belt. Now it's just called Trumpistan.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

No, many of us assumed, wrongly, that the US Government would step up with robust guidance, PPE and planning to enable employers and schools to reopen in some limited or altered capacity. Just like we assumed that the US Government would take advantage of the shutdown period to build out robust testing and PPE stockpiles and supply chains. I was working in an EOC when this thought process was developed.

I don't think any of us thought that we would have a federal government actively working against the best scientific guidance to contain the spread and turn what could have been a moment of national triumph and unity into a complete political shitshow.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post

That's what I thought. Apparently we suck.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    No, many of us assumed, wrongly, that the US Government would step up with robust guidance, PPE and planning to enable employers and schools to reopen in some limited or altered capacity. Just like we assumed that the US Government would take advantage of the shutdown period to build out robust testing and PPE stockpiles and supply chains. I was working in an EOC when this thought process was developed.

I don't think any of us thought that we would have a federal government actively working against the best scientific guidance to contain the spread and turn what could have been a moment of national triumph and unity into a complete political shitshow.
    Well, the writing was on the wall regarding the Trump administration response. These men are nihilists, to borrow a phrase. And yes, we all hoped for the response we could have had.

Everything's going to be alright! It's all going to be alright!

https://twitter.com/i/status/1313959702104023047

Edit: Is it just me or does he look a little cyanotic?
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism